Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Started playing Dicey Dungeons because it was on sale

Chiptune EDM is excellent and keeps me pumped

pretty impressed with how clever some of the game theory mechanics are

I was able to figure out how to play as the robot after a few runs, but the witch is so convoluted that my brain is protesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Probably not getting anything from Steam sale this year, as I've just grabbed a Retroid Pocket 4 Pro preorder and families chipped in to get it as my xmas present.

Thinking 2024 is the year I'll be shifting fully into retro mode.

Here's MGS2 running on an equivalent device
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-VXEIvGJl4&t=680s

Seems a good excuse as any to finally play it :v:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Steve Yun posted:

I was able to figure out how to play as the robot after a few runs, but the witch is so convoluted that my brain is protesting

turn on "relaxed mode" in the menu anytime you must touch that foul purple harlot

she sucks all joy out of the game with how needlessly-complicated and awkward her mechanics are

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why the gently caress is Starfield nominated for Most Innovative Gameplay on the steam awards

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Waffleman_ posted:

Why the gently caress is Starfield nominated for Most Innovative Gameplay on the steam awards

New and exciting way to suck

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Waffleman_ posted:

pity nomination

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Because they took 20 year old gameplay and put it in space? Noones done that before.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

i refuse to believe it's anything other than someone at valve 'avin a giggle

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That or just a lot of ballot stuffing.

That's the only reason I can think for Wizard Game to be nominated for game of the year

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Waffleman_ posted:

All of the steam nominees are deranged

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shard posted:

which lets plays have you watched?

Two Best Friends Play had good LPs of Silent hill 1, 2 and 3.

And Woolie vs had its own run of Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3 that is also really great.
also woolie had Reggie play through PT for Halloween, and since Reggie is pretty ignorant of most video game stuff outside of his specific corners, it was completely blind. It was very good :allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Waffleman_ posted:

That's the only reason I can think for Wizard Game to be nominated for game of the year

It’s one of this year’s best selling games

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

PT is still one of the most masterful bits of economical horror storytelling i think i've ever seen. it's two small areas, one high quality rigged model, and a dangling fridge, but it's still one of the scariest loving things in the medium

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Steve Yun posted:

what was the competition for best soundtrack against it the year it came out, because it's hard to imagine much being better than the dicey dungeons ost. It's so ridiculously inventive with its tracks, and the final boss theme is over six minutes long and never repeats.

Almost every stage and battle theme is top shelf and as a whole is incredible. Like seriously, Fighting Chance is such a swanky battle theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGL5m0qWzWA

Swing Me Another Six is so good for the buildup into straight up anime heroics-style music at around 1:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHKaBM54IU

And the final boss theme, Fortune Favors The Bold(which is already INCREDIBLY badass for a final boss track) is incredibly menacing, then the beat drops and it kicks in super hard. It's so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xs4CnLqBs

AND there's an expansion that adds a bunch more stuff and it's all as good if not better than the original soundtrack! Chipzel cannot miss!!!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

What other game will allow you to drop a thousand sandwiches and watch them tumble with individually calculated physics

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

What other game will allow you to drop a thousand sandwiches and watch them tumble with individually calculated physics

skyrim, which is a big part of the problem

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hatty posted:

I suppose you see with the recent sony leaks and see that Spider Man 2 cost 3 times what the first one took to develop and will take 7 Million copies sold at $70 to break even the price increase makes sense. but I say just make games look worse, AAA quality graphics are excessive imo

price to break even has nothing to do with it
videogames aren't scarce goods. it's not like they need to charge more per item when development is more expensive. there aren't marginal costs.
what sellers want to do is charge whatever price they feel will get them the most total money out of the market. they charge $70 isntead of $60 because they think they'll scare less than 1/7th of their customers away with the price bump and so it'll make more money overall.
it has nothing to do with rising costs. they wanted the maximum money for those other, cheaper to produce games too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sirtommygunn posted:

I picked up Karmazoo, Rime, The Invisible Hours, Miasmata, Erannorth Chronicles, Astral Ascent, Sanabi: The Revenant, Gearbits, Chained Echoes, Pseudoregalia, Zortch, Paranormasight, Patrick's Parabox, and Laika: Aged Through Blood this sale. Very excited to play through these somewhere around 2027.
bolded are all good-to-great

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

If only you could roll a Katamari into other people's saves and roll up all their litter and then them and their ships and the planet

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Something magical happened in the Slay the Spire thread:

McGavin posted:

Imagine three orbs above a Defect. Say a direct copy of the first orb is sent to the back of the line of orbs and takes the place of the third orb. The formerly third orb becomes the second, the second becomes the first, and the first is evoked. Recursion works the same way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Wildtortilla posted:

Something magical happened in the Slay the Spire thread:

I forgot what was the original 4 balls meme about

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Played some Lethal Company with some friends. It's certainly a fun enough little game to play for a few hours but it's the most early access game I've accessed early in a while. It didn't take long for the lack of visual variety to really drag the game down. The general jankiness and bad animations and whatever that all comes with being an early access indie game is something I was able to mostly overlook but the planets don't currently look different enough or cool enough and the inside of the buildings are the exact same every single time. Hoping that is something they are working on, I really have no idea how early in development this game is

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dev has said they plan at least 6 months of early access time before release, and the recent big patch (a few weeks ago) already added some new entities to spice up runs. I would expect a little more diversity of environments by launch but that's also very probably the largest time investment as well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Steve Yun posted:

Time, op

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think it's a New Vegas reference

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I only see two balls

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mods change someone else's name to "Ace of Balls".

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Imagine if those balls were on a cliff.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

it was trying to explain how causality works in the way you would if you were very, very high

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Sorry, can't do that right now, I'm busy trying to figure out how time works.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AlphaKeny1 posted:

OK, but what suit was the 5th Ace?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50817558

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Men want just one thing and it's loving disgusting

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Infinitum posted:

Steam

Piss And Shittium
Dec 20, 2023
Downloaded SWTOR again. I normally get an itch for it every December. One of those cozy winter games. I also enjoy just logging in and chatting Star Wars on the in-game chat. Any fans about?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTtYqG3c_A

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

the funniest thing about this image is still the business going on in the crotch area

lmao

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Infinitum posted:

The picture clearly shows that it is the Ace of Aces. The Exodia of Poker.

Shinjobi posted:

the funniest thing about this image is still the business going on in the crotch area

lmao

He's a five card stud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

WaltherFeng posted:

Funding possibly organized crime is a big no no, so that's not really an option.

The hospital I worked at in 2016 got ransomwared and they paid up, we had to go around to all the computers with individual many digit keys for each of them. Was wild. But they paid!

I always wondered if they kept any Bitcoin. Probably not.