Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

polanski version has one the best fight scenes of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0waVOnG-PEw

also still probably the only scene in cinematic history that depicts how plate armor actually functions

that polanski fella may be an unrepentant child rapist but drat if he doesnt make a great macbeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Al! posted:

i would have made barbie a body horror movie

teen talk barbie but instead of complaining about math class being difficult she says long live the new flesh and comes with a vhs tape accessory which can be placed inside her stomach

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Al! posted:

Isn't that who Kate Mckinnon is?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

loquacius posted:

I don't really think a pendulum is swinging much these days

like, you can't have sexy exploitation stuff in movies anymore, streaming TV had a brief period where you could but that's p much over too. Barbie was essentially a White Feminism movie and it was a blockbuster. But also people can see through when idpol is applied cynically, see: Disney trying to convince everyone that every single MCU thing was a triumph of social justice and increasingly failing at it. The alt-right are really trying to make a pendulum swing the other way (boycotting beer brands over being insufficiently fascistic in their advertising etc) but I don't really think there's anything to swing

Obliterated was refreshing because it had no deeper Important Message and also had gratuitous nudity from everyone.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

KirbyKhan posted:

the stinger ending for Barbie is her going for a pap smear because she wished for a vagina.

that'll put a shine on your stinger

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

insane clown pussy posted:

teen talk barbie but instead of complaining about math class being difficult she says long live the new flesh and comes with a vhs tape accessory which can be placed inside her stomach

there was a barbie where her stomach popped off and there was a baby inside it

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

there was a barbie where her stomach popped off and there was a baby inside it

Yeah, she's in the opening and one of the bespoke choreographed dances

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Stop us if you’ve heard this one before: a gay clown dives into a vat of feminizing hormones at a chemical storage plant, then goes on to create an illegal comedy troupe in Gotham City. What sounds like a remix of the origins of Harley Quinn is actually the premise for an unofficial Joker parody. It’s called The People’s Joker, and though very few have seen the film, it will soon score a limited theatrical screening.

The story behind The People’s Joker is already infamous. What began as an unofficial dare to re-edit Todd Phillip’s Joker eventually sired a queer coming-of-age parody from Vera Drew. The Emmy-nominated editor and director also stars as the Harlequin, a clown on a quest to explore her identity as a trans woman while fighting Gotham City’s staunch rules against comedy (in this universe, Batman has outlawed the practice).

The People’s Joker premiered at the 2022 Toronto International Film Festival, but was pulled from subsequent screenings after Drew was pressured by an “angry letter” from a “media conglomerate that shall remain nameless.”

“I went to great lengths with legal counsel to have it fall under parody/fair use,” Drew wrote in a statement posted to Twitter. Still, its use of images from previous DC films might have caught negative attention from Warner Bros., so to avoid “potential blowback,” Drew voluntarily canceled future screenings. The filmmaker has been searching for a distribution method ever since, and has finally found a backer in Altered Innocence.

The independent distributor will screen The People’s Joker for one week at New York’s IFC Center in 2024. The film’s run starts on April 5, with the possibility of additional screenings in the future. It’s just one step towards securing a wider release for the film, but it’s a promising development for Drew, and for any filmmaker hoping to color outside the lines of established intellectual property.

“I am absolutely thrilled and humbled that Altered Innocence is helping me bring The People’s Joker to theaters this spring,” said Drew. “It has been a long road freeing The People’s Joker and finding a release plan that rings true to the queer, anarchist spirit we had while making it. What better home than among Altered Innocence’s catalog of gorgeously gay and deliciously edgy films.”

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

glad smg is following their dream

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Some Guy TT posted:

Stop us if you’ve heard this one before: a gay clown dives into a vat of feminizing hormones at a chemical storage plant, then goes on to create an illegal comedy troupe in Gotham City. What sounds like a remix of the origins of Harley Quinn is actually the premise for an unofficial Joker parody. It’s called The People’s Joker, and though very few have seen the film, it will soon score a limited theatrical screening.

The story behind The People’s Joker is already infamous. What began as an unofficial dare to re-edit Todd Phillip’s Joker eventually sired a queer coming-of-age parody from Vera Drew. The Emmy-nominated editor and director also stars as the Harlequin, a clown on a quest to explore her identity as a trans woman while fighting Gotham City’s staunch rules against comedy (in this universe, Batman has outlawed the practice).

The People’s Joker premiered at the 2022 Toronto International Film Festival, but was pulled from subsequent screenings after Drew was pressured by an “angry letter” from a “media conglomerate that shall remain nameless.”

“I went to great lengths with legal counsel to have it fall under parody/fair use,” Drew wrote in a statement posted to Twitter. Still, its use of images from previous DC films might have caught negative attention from Warner Bros., so to avoid “potential blowback,” Drew voluntarily canceled future screenings. The filmmaker has been searching for a distribution method ever since, and has finally found a backer in Altered Innocence.

The independent distributor will screen The People’s Joker for one week at New York’s IFC Center in 2024. The film’s run starts on April 5, with the possibility of additional screenings in the future. It’s just one step towards securing a wider release for the film, but it’s a promising development for Drew, and for any filmmaker hoping to color outside the lines of established intellectual property.

“I am absolutely thrilled and humbled that Altered Innocence is helping me bring The People’s Joker to theaters this spring,” said Drew. “It has been a long road freeing The People’s Joker and finding a release plan that rings true to the queer, anarchist spirit we had while making it. What better home than among Altered Innocence’s catalog of gorgeously gay and deliciously edgy films.”

When this first debuted didn't people say that copyright issues aside the movie sucked?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idk but altered innocence is a fun distributor with a great logo for their restoration label.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Al! posted:

if you think about it for two seconds that actually a pretty transphobic message

100% and noted this in my initial hot takes from the movie lol

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

skooma512 posted:

Isn't that who Kate Mckinnon is?

yeah as much as is possible within what is ultimately a 90 minute toy commercial

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's actually decent arguments that the stinger is more pro trans than anti

There's a lot going on in the Barbie movie like lol of course an idiot with no self image spends one day exposed to modern American culture and becomes a fascist, but kinda got me that I'm pretty drat sure there have been horse riding Barbies and horses in the toyline

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's actually decent arguments that the stinger is more pro trans than anti

There's a lot going on in the Barbie movie like lol of course an idiot with no self image spends one day exposed to modern American culture and becomes a fascist, but kinda got me that I'm pretty drat sure there have been horse riding Barbies and horses in the toyline

Yeah I'm not sure I follow how it's antitrans? If someone said to a transperson you can be whatever you want to be in like "you get one wish" kind of way, I can guess what the wish would be.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Yeah I'm not sure I follow how it's antitrans? If someone said to a transperson you can be whatever you want to be in like "you get one wish" kind of way, I can guess what the wish would be.

100 wishes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And yes they have the cock ring Ken and he actually is pointed out to be unhappy in the toxic masculinity dystopia

I love the ken war scene myself, and its outcome is very realistic

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wizard Master posted:

does anybody else feel like the pendulum is starting to swing the other way when it comes to “woke” culture?

if by swinging the other way you mean its become a word that liberals now use to mock the right instead of the other way around like what happened with snowflake no i dont think were quite there yet

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nichael posted:

Good TV: A little more than halfway through Pantheon, and it is Good TV.

watched the sixth episode today and man that cliffhanger is a doozy

a lesser production would have made that the season finale to try and unsuccessfully blackmail the production company into greenlighting another season

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

they should've hired at least one writer who had played a video game in the past 15 years though

still loling that the ender game movie presents ender murdering a video game npc as an angry response to an obvious bulllshit puzzle as if this proves ender is the chosen one because of his incredible lateral thinking abilities and not like something literally anyone who has ever played a game with an npc who presents an obvious bullshit puzzle has tried to do

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

no thinking allowed

barbie taught people that patriarchy is bad and thats all they really need to know

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nichael posted:

Good TV: A little more than halfway through Pantheon, and it is Good TV.

Bad TV: A Murder at the End of the World completely self-destructed by its end. It is Bad TV.

both of these are 100% though I didn't finish murder

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

both of these are 100% though I didn't finish murder

It starts cool, and midway through it actually hints that the main story has much bigger, climate change/apocalypse kinda stakes. The ending is not this. The ending is just bad.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

i wanted rob zombie to make the disney star wars

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Al! posted:

thinking about how lovely the lotr movies would have been if we made them today. we even have the hobbit "triology" as an example

They're pretty much the same

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

skooma512 posted:

because barbie is already a woman. having a vagina isnt a requirement for being a woman

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

if she wished to be a human that'd be a different message

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Nichael posted:

It starts cool, and midway through it actually hints that the main story has much bigger, climate change/apocalypse kinda stakes. The ending is not this. The ending is just bad.

They named the kid zoomer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xaris posted:

oh yeah the video game poo poo was really stupid but i'm immune to it having grown up with a ton of movies featuring computers that are hilariously dumb like the classic jurassic park "i know linux" scene or hackers or swordfish. so i was just like w/e, didn't bother me

It's Unix, not Linux.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Maud’dib smoking in public, looks even cooler now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

fancyclown posted:

new manic stuff from Conner O’Malley. I noticed the Safdie bros are listed in the credits.

https://youtu.be/yJlO5yTVH_8?feature=shared

Pretty sure that Connor used the beat from my most favorite underrated rap project for the confrontation with Colin Mocarie (sp?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FRerjMfS_w

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's Unix, not Linux.
they used a real Unix program too. it's actually a highly realistic depiction.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

they used a real Unix program too. it's actually a highly realistic depiction.

Wasn't it some really expensive bespoke system hardly anyone used at the time too, which makes it doubly authentic mr "spared no expense" would use it for jurassic park

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Justin Tyme posted:

Wasn't it some really expensive bespoke system hardly anyone used at the time too, which makes it doubly authentic mr "spared no expense" would use it for jurassic park

I think they just borrowed the vfx guy's sgi workstation

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

given that I have never seen a vector-graphics UNIX interface where you do computer stuff by walking around pyramids or something, yeah it would have to be, but that also makes it less authentic that the girl would know how to use it

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

HootTheOwl posted:

Last duel does armor well I heard

Wish they had gaudier livery

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

loquacius posted:

given that I have never seen a vector-graphics UNIX interface where you do computer stuff by walking around pyramids or something, yeah it would have to be, but that also makes it less authentic that the girl would know how to use it
in this day and age of "Linux" I guess it's unsurprising people are not really familiar with Unix systems...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn_(file_manager)

e: lol at the losers at wikipedia

quote:

Doesn't meet WP:NSOFT as I couldn't find any reliable independent sources to indicate any notability of this application. Deltaspace42 (talk • contribs) 11:12, 20 December 2023 (UTC)[reply]

Note: This discussion has been included in the deletion sorting lists for the following topics: Computing and Software. Deltaspace42 (talk • contribs) 11:12, 20 December 2023 (UTC)[reply]
Delete Not notable enough. killer bee  12:50, 20 December 2023 (UTC)[reply]

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

uh, she's a hacker

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh also it makes sense that Newman would set the entire park's computer system up with an insane bespoke vectorgrafx unix distro, because his plan revolves around him being the only IT guy at the park and nobody else knowing how to use his poo poo

we've been over this but Hammond probably shouldn't have spared the expense of hiring a second IT guy, maybe even a third

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

in this day and age of "Linux" I guess it's unsurprising people are not really familiar with Unix systems...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn_(file_manager)

your own article literally says it was never finished and is mostly known for having appeared in Jurassic Park lmao