Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Out of curiosity, how do you all quit any one idle game? Thinking back, there's fewer "I think I got as far as I want here, moving on" and more "huh, I didn't think to pull this back up after rebooting a couple days ago, guess that's it". That can't be healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It gets easier to do after the first couple but essentially it's thinking "okay I think I've seen all the mechanics this idler works with, do I still feel satisfied with it?" If it's a no, the tab gets closed and I don't think about it for at least a year.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i stop playing the games when they're no longer fun or when i hit a content wall (e.g. orb of creation). i don't think that's particularly concerning, but it's more a gradual taper in practice

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you all quit any one idle game? Thinking back, there's fewer "I think I got as far as I want here, moving on" and more "huh, I didn't think to pull this back up after rebooting a couple days ago, guess that's it". That can't be healthy.

Partially the "Whoops, forgot to reopen the game after rebooting, can't be arsed to now" like I am with Evolve, or if I'm just not making any noticeable progress for awhile and nothing I do seems to be making the situation better (my big issue with Gooboo).

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I dip when nothing interesting is happening and/or they lose my save. It kind of depends on how the game is played too; browser tabs can linger on ignored for a lot longer than a separate exe file I have to run each reboot.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bedurndurn posted:

I dip when nothing interesting is happening and/or they lose my save. It kind of depends on how the game is played too; browser tabs can linger on ignored for a lot longer than a separate exe file I have to run each reboot.

I almost never reboot so quitting a game has to be an active choice.

Usually I go "is this actually interesting or just an obligation?" and then close the program when it's the latter. Or sometimes the program gets buried under four other windows and I forget about it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Speaking of, I think I might actually be done with Melvor now. I have a bunch of the skills over 100 and I've enjoyed the ride but I still don't really give a drat about the combat which feels like the real meat of the progression. I just don't feel all that compelled to progress through the combat areas when I already have a lot of skills leveled because most of the rewards are just buffs to non-combat skills.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Gnorp is adorable but right now it feels really hard to figure out what mechanics are useful and which I'm just dumping shards into for .01% gain

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Not sure why but I came back to Idle Spiral a week or so ago, more fun/interesting than I remembered it being.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Long term if you don’t want to engage with combat in Melvor you will ultimately run out of ways to progress, yeah. In that case it does hew closely to RuneScape, where skill progression was either ultimately in service of completing quests and/or killing bosses.

You can always try a different type of character account to mix up progression (such as adventure mode or ancient relics), but those are going to interface with combat much more early and often in all likelihood.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Used to play them on Kongegrate or however it was spelt, and usually they had end screens.
But nowadays, only play them on Steam for the achievements. Once all got, gently caress off, deleted and never returned again like other games.
One game I would love to have achievements for is old school Adventure Communist.
Loved Adventure Capitalist and got all it's achievements, and would play the poo poo out of Communist if it did too. But /sigh.

Currently doing NGU Idle, just last 5 achievements on it needed.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Tortolia posted:

Long term if you don’t want to engage with combat in Melvor you will ultimately run out of ways to progress, yeah. In that case it does hew closely to RuneScape, where skill progression was either ultimately in service of completing quests and/or killing bosses.

You can always try a different type of character account to mix up progression (such as adventure mode or ancient relics), but those are going to interface with combat much more early and often in all likelihood.

I think my issue with combat is more the gearing up aspect. I'm at the point where I need Ancient armor sets to deal with the God Dungeons, and those are solely locked behind random drops. Granted, I could try and fudge it with the highest easily farmable sets I can get (Dragon/Black DHide/Black Wizard or Air Adept if not using Slicing Winds), but then again I'd just need enough to lower the max hit to below my Auto Eat threshold of 360s.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, gearing at a certain point does end up being farming for RNG drops. I just look at it being that getting those drops is ultimately no different than AFKing a gathering skill for a few hours assuming I stock up on runes/arrows/prayer points sometime beforehand.

The big thing about Autoeat, which takes the pressure off a lot, is that so long as the enemy can’t one-shot you, you can use low HP bulk food (you only really need the high HP food when manually eating in combat, since that resets your attack timer). It was a game changer to realize that instead of having to cook up a bunch of food to deal with dragons, I could equip raw apples (32 HP each) and just have my character eat, like, 15 of them at once. I get over 12K apples every tree cycle so I’m basically set for literal weeks of AFK combat assuming I don’t aim too high since I have almost half a million apples and counting. Magic is the only stance that requires a bit of extra accommodation (thieving gave me six digits of arrows to use for ranged) but even then runecrafting multipliers can turn a short craft grind into a few hours of battle no problem.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
Another Melvor trick if you don’t mind save scumming: wait until you get a stack of chests from the dungeon you’re farming and if you don’t get what you want, restore a save and open em again.

But most dungeons with the kind of loot you really need to progress also have township tasks to clear them 100 or 500 times. By the time you do that you are going to have everything even without scumming.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Guess I might run ironwood again. Sent an application to the guild as kirtar

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

JagGator posted:

Another Melvor trick if you don’t mind save scumming: wait until you get a stack of chests from the dungeon you’re farming and if you don’t get what you want, restore a save and open em again.

But most dungeons with the kind of loot you really need to progress also have township tasks to clear them 100 or 500 times. By the time you do that you are going to have everything even without scumming.

i had to do the air dungeon like 200 more times after finishing that task before i got the goddamn deadeye amulet :arghfist:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Crell posted:

I'm gonna stop playing ironwood until it resets. Anyone want to take over the clan?

If nobody else will, I guess I will. Thanatos in the guild.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I'd say please try to not let the goon guild die before reset, there's so much effort dumped into leveling it up that I cannot believe he's not gonna reward high ranking alpha guilds with something

if the cutoff is top 25 we're cool, but top ten is doable, just cut those trees

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If I get to a point where I have to interact with a discord to figure out how to advance I just close the tab and move on

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Ham Equity posted:

If nobody else will, I guess I will. Thanatos in the guild.

Granted. Set myself to fish sharks, in case top guilds do get something for post reset. I put in the rest of the bones for guild Hall.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

postmodifier posted:

I'd say please try to not let the goon guild die before reset, there's so much effort dumped into leveling it up that I cannot believe he's not gonna reward high ranking alpha guilds with something

if the cutoff is top 25 we're cool, but top ten is doable, just cut those trees
This is the plan, I just didn't want to stick Crell with having to manage poo poo in a game he is done with.

I don't think we're gonna be able to crack top ten, though. We're at 17 now, and it's a pretty big gap.

Also, just to check: none of the pending guild applications we have in Ironwood RPG are goons, right? I approved the one I saw that had posted in the thread, but I could have missed people.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Ham Equity posted:

This is the plan, I just didn't want to stick Crell with having to manage poo poo in a game he is done with.

I don't think we're gonna be able to crack top ten, though. We're at 17 now, and it's a pretty big gap.

Also, just to check: none of the pending guild applications we have in Ironwood RPG are goons, right? I approved the one I saw that had posted in the thread, but I could have missed people.

Random people apply constantly lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crell posted:

Random people apply constantly lol

Yeah, I figured.

Also, I just fully self-funded a gather event so I can get my fishing to 55 this weekend without having to pay attention, so if anyone wants to check in quick pre-holiday get that bonus XP.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Buzkashi posted:

Gnorp is adorable but right now it feels really hard to figure out what mechanics are useful and which I'm just dumping shards into for .01% gain

I am jealous all the people that completed it in 6 hours. I must be really bad at incremental games, because I am nowhere near that.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Ham Equity posted:

Yeah, I figured.

Also, I just fully self-funded a gather event so I can get my fishing to 55 this weekend without having to pay attention, so if anyone wants to check in quick pre-holiday get that bonus XP.

glad i saw this so i can switch to redwood chopping, my charcoal reserves were once again dwindling

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

StupidSexyMothman posted:

glad i saw this so i can switch to redwood chopping, my charcoal reserves were once again dwindling

I feel like 80% of this game is chopping wood.

At least they got rid of the wood requirements for buildings.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It's still there, it's just indirect since you need to smelt bars for the metallic parts that replaced the log requirements.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
How do the ironwood events work btw, do we get anything extra for hitting the 200k xp?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Baddog posted:

How do the ironwood events work btw, do we get anything extra for hitting the 200k xp?

The main benefit (aside from the bonus efficiency in all gathering skills) is guild credits. Guild credits are also the main reward of doing the daily guild quests, but basically it's a time-gated currency needed to build and upgrade the guild buildings, you can see the cost of each building from the guild menu. Every 10% of the way to the cap, we get a proportion of the total credits (so every 20k XP gets us 80 credits).

Also, on top of the guild credits, the daily quests also give each member ~40k gold, but I believe you need to click the guild quest menu every day or it goes away unclaimed.

Currently, we have waaay more guild credits than we do other materials for the buildings because the buildings have become quite expensive!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

guild daily quest money stacks, i picked up ~160k today because i haven't checked the guild link in a while

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bedurndurn posted:

It's still there, it's just indirect since you need to smelt bars for the metallic parts that replaced the log requirements.

Wasn't it bars + wood before? In that case it shifts your time to smithing the bars into parts instead of chopping wood.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kirtar posted:

Wasn't it bars + wood before? In that case it shifts your time to smithing the bars into parts instead of chopping wood.

Yeah, it's this.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
in Gnorp, what triggers my mountaineers refusing to climb on the new mountain after compression? do i have to get the pile to a certain height first?

right now 6 of them are willing to climb, the rest just reach the rock and turn around.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

beat Gnorp in like, 6 and a half hours.

Fun little idler but the balance falls apart completely once you realize everything is completely and dramatically inferior to Arrow & Rocket. Extremely funny to watch hundreds of missiles spin around in the air and just dive bomb the rock tho.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Meeko posted:

Fun little idler but the balance falls apart completely once you realize everything is completely and dramatically inferior to Arrow & Rocket. Extremely funny to watch hundreds of missiles spin around in the air and just dive bomb the rock tho.

there must be more than that, maybe the game has some bug where profit is somewhat linked to framerate

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Meeko posted:

i'm doing that and i can't get anywhere past compression 8

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i reached salt in gooboo without having ever seen a single granite so thank god for this old fashioned forum being the only searchable place on the internet that could answer the question of if there was a bug or something when i got a note saying it was 'another' rare earth

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

atelier morgan posted:

i reached salt in gooboo without having ever seen a single granite so thank god for this old fashioned forum being the only searchable place on the internet that could answer the question of if there was a bug or something when i got a note saying it was 'another' rare earth

no you see you're supposed to join a discord, find the right channel, and then check the pins hoping they're up to date. god help you if you ask a question in the glorified irc channel

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Complaining about using discord feels like some real "ok, boomer" energy.

The only other real alternative is a lovely fandom wiki, which is IMHO way more annoying to deal with even with adblockers and etc., because no one is going to actually pony up the cash to host a guide site for a random-rear end incremental game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Back when they were on Kongregate you'd just ask a question in the chat and wouldn't get anyone jumping down your throat about it even if it had been asked a million times before.