Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Has there ever been a successful apology video? Ever?
idubbbz, arguably. Mainly successful because it was not done under duress and came off as genuine. Anyone can apologize when under the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah an apology only works if it's because you're sorry, not just an act you perform in order to go back to doing what you were doing. "I'm sorry, I'm going to turn my patreon back on" doesn't work in the slightest.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

baguette

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Plain Bagel?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Runa posted:

dougdoug finally edited down his shufflemania vod into a more digestible youtube video

it's still nearly two and a half hours long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2_SpkLltSc

I

Love

Movie

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Jenna Marbles seemed genuinely sorry.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Andrew Verse posted:

Huh. I didn't realise she'd a) done anything wrong or b) apologised, I think largely because the last time she was relevant to anything was back in about 2012. But look at that, it's been three years and she's not attempted a comeback or updated her channel or any social media.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I think most critiques of "breadtube" are always silly because while they assume it's "radical left" it's just philosophy majors who understand logic and reason better than most and every video trying to critique them comes across as going through mental gymnastics, that it ends up doing that Matt Bors iPhone comic but very long and pointless

This also holds true with most media critique. You either become Patrick Willems and get nebula to make a big skit about Star Wars with examples of what it represented and what is and isn't there today. And then you have those that can't even spill a complete sentence on their own that they just call things "woke" and won't figure it out and move goal posts.

YouTube has both the Masters Scholar and the Wish.com Fart Vlogger and it's wild they are considered equals.

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't watch the James apology video, I think this year should be the year we just stop doing that - The Ukulele Girl, Jirard, just, everybody.

“Breadtube” is like a much worse version of “woke”, where it briefly used to refer to a very specific kind of explicitly leftwing, explicitly anticapitalist video essayist, usually with a philosophy or theory background/focus; and now it gets applied to any channel that does any kind of overt pushback or debunking of right wing horseshit regardless of its other/main area.

LGBTQ person who isn’t doing a makeup tutorial? Breadtube. Pat Finnerty or Todd in the Shadows made a video about how Kid Rock or Jason Aldean songs suck poo poo? They’re Breadtube now. Car/motorcycle YouTuber doesn’t have a Trump flag hanging in their garage and/or makes a comment showing that they might dislike cops? That’s a Breadtuber.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

trilobite terror posted:

“Breadtube” is like a much worse version of “woke”, where it briefly used to refer to a very specific kind of explicitly leftwing, explicitly anticapitalist video essayist, usually with a philosophy or theory background/focus; and now it gets applied to any channel that does any kind of overt pushback or debunking of right wing horseshit regardless of its other/main area.

LGBTQ person who isn’t doing a makeup tutorial? Breadtube. Pat Finnerty or Todd in the Shadows made a video about how Kid Rock or Jason Aldean songs suck poo poo? They’re Breadtube now. Car/motorcycle YouTuber doesn’t have a Trump flag hanging in their garage and/or makes a comment showing that they might dislike cops? That’s a Breadtuber.

OIC

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
all science/history channels that aren’t 1)political misinformation 2) military history/content from a working military guy (unless he’s said something woke) 3) Shad are Breadtube if you look deep enough into the comments

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

trilobite terror posted:

all science/history channels that aren’t 1)political misinformation 2) military history/content from a working military guy (unless he’s said something woke) 3) Shad are Breadtube if you look deep enough into the comments

Why are you reading the comments? Never read the comments.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why are you reading the comments? Never read the comments.

lol why did you change your original post

like do you disagree? Agree? I don’t even know

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Andrew Verse posted:

Fil5000 posted:

Huh. I didn't realise she'd a) done anything wrong or b) apologised, I think largely because the last time she was relevant to anything was back in about 2012. But look at that, it's been three years and she's not attempted a comeback or updated her channel or any social media.

A) she did
B) https://youtu.be/4VosRKPBGE8?si=homPd_zMe2eEpCnt

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

By all accounts, Jenna Marbles is happily volunteering and doing greyhound stuff. Can't imagine she'll be coming back anytime soon so yeah, I think she's definitely one of those who actually meant it.

Like, a lot of the folks from her time either gradually step away or are still doing it (usually to smaller audiences) but she's one of the few I can think of on that level who publically quit. Ingrid Nilsen and Tyler Oakley too, I guess.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kim Justice posted:

By all accounts, Jenna Marbles is happily volunteering and doing greyhound stuff. Can't imagine she'll be coming back anytime soon so yeah, I think she's definitely one of those who actually meant it.

I also heard she grew 7 inches taller.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kim Justice posted:

Like, a lot of the folks from her time either gradually step away or are still doing it (usually to smaller audiences) but she's one of the few I can think of on that level who publically quit. Ingrid Nilsen and Tyler Oakley too, I guess.

Jenna gets enough plays today from nostalgic elder zoomers (lol), etc, that even if she didn't have a fuckton in savings and investments from her heyday she could still stay totally off of the internet and pull in mogul money passively

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Laci Green was apparently uploading videos until 2020.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Danny Gonzalez and Drew Gooden both put out apology videos a couple of years back but they also weren't extremely serious offenses.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Danny Gonzalez and Drew Gooden both put out apology videos a couple of years back but they also weren't extremely serious offenses.

what, for being the same guy?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

trilobite terror posted:

Jenna gets enough plays today from nostalgic elder zoomers (lol), etc, that even if she didn't have a fuckton in savings and investments from her heyday she could still stay totally off of the internet and pull in mogul money passively

Yeah her views have been dropping off fairly steadily but she's still pulling in around 2.5 million views per month which is pretty crazy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah her views have been dropping off fairly steadily but she's still pulling in around 2.5 million views per month which is pretty crazy

the syndicated tv of youtube

(syndicated tv is already the syndicated tv of youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-n5qVwn-Xc

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sardonik posted:

idubbbz, arguably. Mainly successful because it was not done under duress and came off as genuine. Anyone can apologize when under the gun.

A lot of apologies aren't even actually apologies that admit wrongdoing. So many people do the "I'm sorry you felt that way" bullshit.

Allison Pregler covers a movie from the Air Bud cinematic universe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynZE9kC__9U

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sardonik posted:

to paraphrase someone in one of the comments section:

"idubbz is the only person in existence to get canceled cause he apologized and actually meant it"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hon hon hon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bennett looks at the film Nutcracker Fantasy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYUZNRMa9Mw

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

KingKalamari posted:

Tangentially related: Has anyone else noticed how many fantasy writers are either Mormons or other fringe-offshoots of Christianity? And it feels like there's a particular character that fantasy written by these types have - not in the sense that Mormon theology is directly represented in their work, more that a lot of fantasy series written by Mormons tends to place a heavy emphasis on defining metaphysical systems. It was something that I first noticed in Dragonlance, and originally just took to be the writers' theology seeping into their work, only to later be informed by people better versed with the setting that wasn't really accurate. It was when I found out that Brandon Sanderson was Mormon that things kind of clicked into place for me, and I realized that most of the Mormon and fringe Christian SF creators I was familiar with tended to place a heavy emphasis on metaphysical systems.

One of the biggest technological hubs in the country is in Salt Lake City and was established in the seventies. Tons of Christians of all varieties are colossal geeks. You don't have to be a flippant atheist as a prerequisite to read pulp science-fiction and fantasy or play Warhammer 40k. Nor do you have to come out of it questioning religion--it can even reaffirm it.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Mr Interweb posted:

to paraphrase someone in one of the comments section:

"idubbz is the only person in existence to get canceled cause he apologized and actually meant it"

Personally. I thought idubbz did a great thing apologizing for the offensive trans jokes he made. But then moist charlie told me that he shouldn't have apologized and I felt very silly!

I love when dudes on the internet pretend some some niche context excuses their behaviour. His "those jokes weren't offensive because that's just what the internet was like back then!" excuse had big "people in Australia say the N world all the time and it's fine!" energy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Queer Salutations posted:

I love when dudes on the internet pretend some some niche context excuses their behaviour. His "those jokes weren't offensive because that's just what the internet was like back then!" excuse had big "people in Australia say the N world all the time and it's fine!" energy.

Australians don't say the N-word all the time, we say the C-word all the time. This is an attack on my cultural heritage! :argh:

(We used to say the N-word a lot here in Australia and even used it in popular radio jingles :nws: but it mostly fell out of use before my lifetime.)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Star Man posted:

One of the biggest technological hubs in the country is in Salt Lake City and was established in the seventies. Tons of Christians of all varieties are colossal geeks. You don't have to be a flippant atheist as a prerequisite to read pulp science-fiction and fantasy or play Warhammer 40k. Nor do you have to come out of it questioning religion--it can even reaffirm it.

Yeah, but my point isn't about Christian or religious sf writers in general, I'm talking about Mormon and (To a lesser extent) Fringe Christian* writers specifically, and a sort of unique character the worldbuilding they often seem to share in their work.

* - And when I say "Fringe Christian" I'm specifically referring to Christian offshoot movements like the Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Scientists or Seventh Day Adventists - Groups which emerged in North America over the last two centuries that, while nominally Christian in their beliefs and origins, are often viewed more contentiously by more traditional Christian denominations. I'm including them in here as well, despite there not being as prominent examples of these faiths among sf authors as Mormons is because there were a few prominent figures in the early tabletop RPG scene with fringe Christian backgrounds whose approach to worldbuilding had a similar vibe to their Mormon contemporaries.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now I want somebody to do a deep dive on the Doom tie-in novels.

Although I guess it wouldn't be like when you find out that Twilight's author was Mormon which makes everything click into place, like the magical indigenous werewolves and on to the fact Bella thought her 'sexy' outfit was a tan knee-length skirt.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of the original Doom devs was mormon and, when asked why he was okay with doing this kind of game, said "You're killing the demons, it's all good."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of the original Doom devs was mormon and, when asked why he was okay with doing this kind of game, said "You're killing the demons, it's all good."

Sandy Petersen.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

Sandy Petersen.

It's a shame that this is the only good opinion he's ever had about anything.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

One of two. He also gave us Call of Cthulhu.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
His name gave us one of the best Bobby Prince songs.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Star Man posted:

Gene Wolf was a catholic convert and also wrote some killer scifi novels

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Fil5000 posted:

He also made some of the best levels.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
New Mandalore! Amnesia: The Dark Descent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy17Qk_M_ag

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sandy Petersen made some fun board games, which is why it's sad that he's a dumb dumb with bad opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

According to Wikipedia he's also worked on Sid Meiers Pirates and the Age of Empire games, so he has some noteworthy games he contributed to at least.