Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

RE4 remake is an action movie, RE2 remake is consistent with the horror theme and places more restrictions on you to maintain that sense of helplessness. Leon is still a rookie, ammo is scarce and the game makes sure that you're constantly on edge by only giving you just enough to survive. Mr. X is a constant threat in the police station once he shows up and you can hear him through the walls stomping around hunting you, made even better if you have headphones and turn on the 3D audio.

Both are amazing games but they've very different experiences. Haven't played RE3 remake yet but the general consensus is that it was relatively low effort and should have just been DLC for RE2.

let's be real that criticism was true of the original RE3, too

RE3R actually owns though, it's the only RE game I've ever 100%ed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Jack Trades posted:

Something is weird about the Wishlist this time. Prices are different in different places.

Do you have a steam extension installed on your browser? The lower price should be if when you buy it as part of a bundle where you own other stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Burning Rain posted:

Do you have a steam extension installed on your browser? The lower price should be if when you buy it as part of a bundle where you own other stuff.

Those screenshots are directly from the Steam client, and none of the bundles have that cheaper price either.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Soysaucebeast posted:

If we're showing off our hauls, this is what I just snagged for about 80$ total. Shadows of Doubt has been on my wishlist for a hot minute, but since it was nominated for one of the awards I figured I'd pick it up. Coral Island was one of the nominees too, and it looks like a mix between Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing, which would make it the podcast game I've been looking for. As much as I love BG3, whoever it was upthread that said it was a game you could not turn your brain off for is absolutely right.

Coral Island is extremely buggy. It kept crashing for me (and lots of other people) during the first game day. If you keep it, you’re going to want to try to play it right away to see if it is stable enough for you to play.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Coral Island had a fake 1.0 as I like to remind people. They presumably ran out of EA funds and did a label it 1.0 and hopefully enough people put off by Early Access will buy funding round.

It appears to have worked.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Runa posted:

It's a very fun game but way too short. Definitely worth getting on sale.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

fez_machine posted:

Coral Island had a fake 1.0 as I like to remind people. They presumably ran out of EA funds and did a label it 1.0 and hopefully enough people put off by Early Access will buy funding round.

It appears to have worked.

its seriously really fuckin scummy and any other game genre would have had its players going ballistic over pushing out a game that still has "WIP" stages in the main story as 1.0 but the main demographic for farm games is people who just saw the shiny 1.0 and don't know any better i guess lol.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Kuros posted:

If you liked Baldur's Gate 3 and wanted more of Larian's offerings on Steam, picking up the Divinity: Original Sin Source Saga and Divinity Anthology is cheaper than getting the Eternal Edition. Buying the two packs gets you the 5 games for $19.42, if you want the DoS 2 Divine Ascension add on as well, buy it separate and you get all 6 items for $23.91. Buying the Eternal Edition which is the same 6 items is $35.99. You save $12.08.
Thanks for this!

Despite having used Steam back in 2010 or so, I stopped gaming when I had a kid in 2015. I bought a SteamDeck this summer but was tied up with Tears of the Kingdom so I haven't really lived through the Steam ecosystem changes.

All that to ask: is the Steam app (Android) "wonky"? I tried to make the above purchase using PayPal and was not able to log in to PayPal to complete. Didn't like my email, didn't like my phone. I went back to my PC (where I've been doing Steam purchases) and my order went through as fine as always.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Sandrock's got a lot of charm and the grind isn't bad but the combat and mining is very boring, there's 0 mental challenge to any of it.
It's pretty dissapointing because the townfolks, the comissions and the crafting are pretty drat fun.

Time Break Chronicles is so good, it's what Crystal Project should have been. NO lovely 3D JUMPING PUZZLES!

Tried Demon Turf but there's no mantling and I got stuck for 10 minutes at the tutorial long jump. Then for some reason the game sent me back to the start of the tutorial. Refund. I'm never playing a 3d platformer without mantling ever in my life.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kuros posted:

If you liked Baldur's Gate 3 and wanted more of Larian's offerings on Steam, picking up the Divinity: Original Sin Source Saga and Divinity Anthology is cheaper than getting the Eternal Edition. Buying the two packs gets you the 5 games for $19.42, if you want the DoS 2 Divine Ascension add on as well, buy it separate and you get all 6 items for $23.91. Buying the Eternal Edition which is the same 6 items is $35.99. You save $12.08.

Dragon Commander is kind of janky but otoh you can be a dragon who's conquering the earth to enact gay marriage

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Runa posted:

RE3R is a fun time. It has obvious drawbacks when (Jill, LOL) sandwiched between RE2 and RE4 but on its own terms I enjoyed it. It might be the most straight up fun I've had with an RE game, tbh.

At its current sale price I think it's an easy recommendation to anyone who is digging what Capcom are doing with these remakes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

well, at least everyone is getting their money back

https://twitter.com/playdaybefore/status/1738112110385914052

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ShadowMar posted:

its seriously really fuckin scummy and any other game genre would have had its players going ballistic over pushing out a game that still has "WIP" stages in the main story as 1.0 but the main demographic for farm games is people who just saw the shiny 1.0 and don't know any better i guess lol.

Between Coral Island and BG3, canny devs who are paying attention are going to realise that you can use EA to polish up an long rear end Act 1 to a fine sheen and do a pretty good Act 2, release from Early Access and by the time people realise there's no finish to the game you'll have enough funding to finish it anyway.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Speaking of DOS2, is there any good resources online for build guides? I’m going for this melee-focused Warfare character and would to see more information on how people build that kind of character. Like sword and shield vs. dual wield vs. 2hander , etc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

repiv posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a game tank this hard, this fast.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ShadowMar posted:

The relevant genre-threads are also unhappy about this.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

tripwood posted:

Tried Demon Turf but there's no mantling and I got stuck for 10 minutes at the tutorial long jump. Then for some reason the game sent me back to the start of the tutorial. Refund. I'm never playing a 3d platformer without mantling ever in my life.

What do you mean by mantling? I remember playing Demon Turf awhile back and not having those kinda problems with it, sucks it ended up doing that to you.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

repiv posted:

This was the most wishlisted game on Steam just lol gamers

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It looked like trash but the initial stuff looked like the kind of trash I loving love. The fact they couldn’t deliver on “trash” really says something.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
ugh the main store page keeps erroring out with HTTP error 500 for me, but individual game pages, discovery queue, wishlist, community etc. are all working

I just want to vote for Starfield :v:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Money laundering scam.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

kazil posted:

This was the most wishlisted game on Steam just lol gamers

How hard is it to make a swarm of Steam accounts that exist just to wishlist a game, I wonder

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vampire Survivors owns, what a year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nYRx3fPNO4

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

A Cup of Ramen posted:

What do you mean by mantling? I remember playing Demon Turf awhile back and not having those kinda problems with it, sucks it ended up doing that to you.
IIRC mantling is the "ledge-grab and climb" animation.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

More codes

Sunde*ed: MJV34-YJPW5-H7VL*

Project C*RS 2: ZL*GP-7GX94-WYE3L

Immortal Red*eck: ML63A-96*9Z-FQEIP

Orw*ll: Ignorance is Strength: A6X*R-XELV2-K78TH

De*d Isl*nd Definitive Edition: JYY5Z-5R*3Q-3REZ7

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 22, 2023

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

sirtommygunn posted:

More codes

Thank you for project cars 2!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

kazil posted:

hope you were able to get The Day Before before they delisted it.

Unfortunately not but there is now a game coming out called The Day After, don't know if it's just an elaborate prank.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

LLSix posted:

Thanks for the warnings. Dropped it for now.

Been looking for a good multiplayer ARPG for two years. I wish I could play Diablo again, but I don't want to give Blizzard money by buying it for my partner. I can see why people like PoE but it didn't click for us.

Grim Dawn and its expansions are on sale, it recently got a 1.2 update that was a big sweeping QOL upgrade and they announced this year it's getting another expansion:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/219990/Grim_Dawn/

It does multiplayer through a lobby system for up to 4 players so it's not hard to queue up with friends.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sirtommygunn posted:

More codes

They're all taken. Post up and say thank you at least, you cowards

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

repiv posted:

Was this ever a scam? Was it a bunch of people who started with one big lie, found out they couldn’t deliver, but didn’t see any other way out than to keep lying until the end? Have the developers just vanished and now this is an otherwise legitimate publisher trying to not expose themselves as gullible idiots? Was it a scam but a failed one so the easiest way out is to just pretend to be legitimate?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I feel like the internet is really quick to call anything that's simply lovely a scam, which frankly I really don't like, but this seemed to genuinely be the least amount of effort one could put into making something that could be described as "a video game".

But shutting down the company like the day after your early access title comes out and tweeting, "We didn't take anyone's money until putting it up for sale. Making games is hard! We over estimated our abilities" seems really dishonest and shady for sure.

Apparently they had an investor, so if it was a scam it seems more likely to be pocket that chump's money and then spend as little as possible on the actual game, with anything coming from the sales of it as a bonus.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Kibayasu posted:

Was this ever a scam? Was it a bunch of people who started with one big lie, found out they couldn’t deliver, but didn’t see any other way out than to keep lying until the end? Have the developers just vanished and now this is an otherwise legitimate publisher trying to not expose themselves as gullible idiots? Was it a scam but a failed one so the easiest way out is to just pretend to be legitimate?

Yes, but not in the typical way.

The scam was to get investor money, not customer money. Along with a side hustle to try and market their short lived 'Microsoft Teams' clone.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If someone's incompetent enough that their "legitimate effort" is indistinguishable from a scam, I'm comfortable with them suffering the same penalties scammers would. I don't think there's much to be gained from attempting to divine whether these people are idiots or malevolent, the effect on the customer is the same.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone play The Great War Western Front? Looks like Total War: WW1 which seems interesting, but I can't tell if the reviews are nitpicky or it's a mess (I've not played all the TW games but I've enjoyed the ones I have even ETW and WH3).

It’s ok. I can confidently say that it’s the best wwi trench warfare rts game I’ve ever played, but that speaks more to the lack of entries in the genre than the quality of the game.

I don’t know if total war is the best comparison, apart from the turn based campaign/rts battles, they don’t feel very alike. The battles are pretty fun at first, but once you figure out the optimal strategy, you just kind of do it over and over. It’s fun for a while but I never finished the campaign.

Worth playing for cheap imo, the battles capture the aesthetic of what you imagine trench warfare to be pretty well. Launching artillery barrages and sending waves of dudes to kill and die for minimal strategic benefit is fun for a while but it gets old quickly.

Maybe they patched the game to be more interesting since I stopped playing but I’m not sure what they could do really

E: it’s also thematically a little confusing; the writing, to the extent that there is any, makes a token effort to convey the horrors and toll of the war, but once you get into the game itself, it gets pretty arcadey and you stop thinking of your little dudes as human pretty quickly as you send them into the grinder to whittle away the enemy’s score and increase yours. Maybe that’s the point? To put you in the mind of the generals who callously spent the lives of a generation in pursuit of some ethereal notion of prestige on the world stage? I think I’m just reading too much into it though

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 22, 2023

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
God, there are like five million farming games now. Does anyone have any recommendations?

- I loved RF4
- I didn't like Stardew's fast pace
- I like making fwiends with NPCs
- If there is combat, it has to be decent (Stardew's wasn't, incidentally)
- Modding a plus but not required

I guess My Time At Sandrock is the latest hotness in this genre? Sandrock, Harvestella and Dinkum all look good but I figured I'd ask. Apparently the latest Harvest Moon is actually good too?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Det_no posted:

God, there are like five million farming games now. Does anyone have any recommendations?

- I loved RF4

I guess My Time At Sandrock is the latest hotness in this genre? Sandrock, Harvestella and Dinkum all look good but I figured I'd ask. Apparently the latest Harvest Moon is actually good too?

Coral Island is the closest to a 1:1 Stardew clone right now. Just realize that even though it’s out of early access it’s still incomplete in areas from what other goons have said. But what’s there is pretty good. I’m holding off till they get some content patches down the line.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Det_no posted:

Its...what?

Sandrock is the answer, its combat is better than stardew's but I really think hoping for decent combat out of any of these feels like wishful thinking. There's no better "making friends with NPCs" game out there though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Det_no posted:

- I loved RF4

I really enjoyed harvestella but it’s something that’s greater than the sum of its parts and the farming and combat mechanics are both super basic, so if you solely want something mechanically deep like rune factory maybe look elsewhere. it just has a really engaging format balancing your time/energy/HP between the farm, story dungeon progress, sidequests and so on. also the story gets batshit insane.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Det_no posted:

- I loved RF4

Harvestella is neat from what I played, and apparently the story gets pretty buckwild (complimentary), but from what I've played the farming really isn't a big emphasis, it's much more of an action RPG focus.

I backed Coral Island and I'm sure I'll play it more when it's actually done for real this time, but it's currently still unfinished and it's honestly left a bad taste in my mouth. Definitely worth waiting.

I haven't played Sandrock yet though I do have it, but it seems to be the current hotness and is fairly long. I'm also interested in hearing how Dinkum is, I remember it making an initial splash but it feels like word of mouth fell off pretty quickly.

Also rune factory 3 just had a remaster come out if you liked that one as well (I did), I'm sure you're aware of rune factory 5 and it's definitely a disappointment in some ways but the characters remain very cute, there's the classic deep crafting etc and you can be gay as hell which is just about a must have imo

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How is harvestella? I’m intrigued but also skeptical of it

E: posted at the same time as the two posts above lol, asked and answered. Shallow mechanics don’t bother me if it adds up to something interesting, I don’t have the energy to master complicated games these days anyway