Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

https://coolhunting.com/tech/apples-next-generation-carplay-shown-with-aston-martin-and-porsche/

If you can buy a new Porsche or Aston Martin, you can have next gen Carplay.

I'd rather have some knobs and switches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Strong Sauce posted:

So if I turn off my AT&T sim in the States it'll remove it from iMessage but I should still be able to get imessages for "my" account though right? Because what happened last year was it asked if I wanted to add my foreign number after it recognized a new sim and I said yes but it ended up not actually syncing with my imessages.

If you "lose" that specific number from iMessage, people trying to send messages to that number would not reach you. I would suggest keeping the US sim on, just replacing it in the favorite data provider picker with the travel one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Three Olives posted:

https://coolhunting.com/tech/apples-next-generation-carplay-shown-with-aston-martin-and-porsche/

If you can buy a new Porsche or Aston Martin, you can have next gen Carplay.

Guess they’re trying to make GM reconsider.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ah drat, they’re wise to people trying to pay less for a battery replacement on an AirPod Pro rather than a repair. When they noticed that both of them failed basically every diagnostic they had, they wouldn’t even give me the option of only replacing one.

Replacing both gen 1 AirPods Pro is most of the way towards just buying a brand new set of gen 2 so it seemed silly to do that. I’ll bear the ear deafening cracking when I put them in until I can no longer stand it and just buy a new set.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Ah drat, they’re wise to people trying to pay less for a battery replacement on an AirPod Pro rather than a repair. When they noticed that both of them failed basically every diagnostic they had, they wouldn’t even give me the option of only replacing one.

Replacing both gen 1 AirPods Pro is most of the way towards just buying a brand new set of gen 2 so it seemed silly to do that. I’ll bear the ear deafening cracking when I put them in until I can no longer stand it and just buy a new set.

This is what drove me to get new Gen 2s

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I hope they make the battery replacements more economical because god drat these wireless earbuds are the epitome of buy-and-throw-away consumerism. It’s wasteful as poo poo. It’s not just Apple; even for other brands these things are basically never repaired, only replaced.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I hope they make the battery replacements more economical because god drat these wireless earbuds are the epitome of buy-and-throw-away consumerism. It’s wasteful as poo poo. It’s not just Apple; even for other brands these things are basically never repaired, only replaced.

It’s a few grams of plastic and metal. A lifetimes worth probably produces lass waste then a family sized trip to the supermarket.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there any way to get native photos on Windows?

The stupid Win 11 Photos app looks to be falling back to JPEG, which is pathetic.

edit: iCloud Photos in a browser, select the photos you want, click ... in the menu and download Highest Resolution. Not the most ideal, but it works.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 22, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Everyone my coworker texts, calls, etc. it shows up on their phone as his wife's name.

This recently started happening (past few weeks). I tried to help him out:
  • at first thought it was a Contact Photo & Poster.
  • Contact Photo & Poster is disabled "because your iCloud account is tied to multiple phone numbers"
  • sure enough I went to their contact Settings > Apple ID > Sign In & Security it lists his wife's phone number (and daughter's) there

Is this as simple as taking the other phone numbers off the iCloud list? Those other phone numbers have been there for 10 years so it doesn't explain why this is now all of a sudden a problem.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Talked with him again and it's actually the Contact Photo/Poster thing that other people are seeing.

His apple ID is still in use by like 3-4 people in his family, but everyone has the "send/receive iMessages from" checked with their phone and email.
It let us get into his contact photo this time and sure enough it has his wife's stylized poster showing up.

Now I think this happened "weeks ago" when the wife got the latest iPhone and it asked to set up poster for her.

So, long term what's the right way to iDivorce and split everyone's iCloud accounts out? I think my wife and I have separate iCloud accounts but sign into the App Store with the same creds. Would that work here?
Is there a migration tool or is it just start over?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hed posted:

His apple ID is still in use by like 3-4 people in his family, but … I think my wife and I have separate iCloud accounts but sign into the App Store with the same creds. …
I wish I had something helpful to say and that you solve everyone's problems... I do not, but I am in awe at how people use accounts.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Hed posted:

Talked with him again and it's actually the Contact Photo/Poster thing that other people are seeing.

His apple ID is still in use by like 3-4 people in his family, but everyone has the "send/receive iMessages from" checked with their phone and email.
It let us get into his contact photo this time and sure enough it has his wife's stylized poster showing up.

Now I think this happened "weeks ago" when the wife got the latest iPhone and it asked to set up poster for her.

So, long term what's the right way to iDivorce and split everyone's iCloud accounts out? I think my wife and I have separate iCloud accounts but sign into the App Store with the same creds. Would that work here?

Everyone make their own iCloud account, use family sharing.

Send / Receive from has nothing to do with Contact details sharing, you get one per iCloud account no matter what send/receive you're using

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hed posted:

His apple ID is still in use by like 3-4 people in his family,

:chloe:

like other people have said create new apple ids for the other people. my daughter has had one since he was 2 or something

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hey guys I'm using something in a way it wasn't intended and my poo poo is doing weird stuff. Please help.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hed posted:

This is the wildest thing I’ve read in a while

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I thought it was pretty nuts when I was like “who are these other phone numbers?” But I guess it’s worked for them until the contact card thing. I don’t know how the apps and backups worked with all those drat devices.

I’ll tell him to split it apart but doesn’t sound like there’s a way to split it out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Have everyone create new ones and abandon the smithfamily@me.com one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Have everyone create new ones and abandon the smithfamily@me.com one.

My 'real' email address is still an @me account.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always assume that a shared family/couples account means that someone got caught cheating and can’t be trusted online by themselves any more.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

withak posted:

I always assume that a shared family/couples account means that someone got caught cheating and can’t be trusted online by themselves any more.

I'm sure that happens, but I think shared accounts were, for a long time, the only way to share iTunes/App Store purchases. Family Sharing is relatively new compared to those stores.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm sure that happens, but I think shared accounts were, for a long time, the only way to share iTunes/App Store purchases. Family Sharing is relatively new compared to those stores.

Yeah I still have some old gross pop-punk on my iTunes Store account from back when it was the family iTunes installation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wife and I shared an iTunes account before the iPhone existed so we only had to buy songs once that both of us liked.

Then we got phones and split and now I got so much of her stuff (that I am not a fan of) littering my account.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My wife has two iPhones, a work provided one (Xr) and a personal one (13). Whenever she plops the two of them on top of each other to bring the laptop/notebook/papers menagerie anywhere, they pop up some contact syncing thing. (Her own to her own, curiously).

How do we turn this off completely? It steals focus from whatever she’s doing.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Settings > General > Airdrop > Start Sharing By Bringing Devices Together

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

over?

Checks out, it’s mind boggling how many people STILL do this. I dealt with trying to explain this to countless customers and some of them just don’t get it.

There are also some couples that I guess like having their contacts sync.

My favorite memory was helping a customer get her daughter a phone, she used the same Apple ID, her kid later went to contacts and was like “I don’t know these people” and erased them all. Whoops.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I'm really enjoying shooting photos on this new 15 pro but I'm someone who knows nothing about photography, iPhone or otherwise, beyond tapping subjects to focus on them.
Are there any good resources where I can learn about iPhone photography? Not just the different lenses, but things like toggling focal lengths and how that affects the composition of your photo, all that kind of stuff I'm curious about now.

Preferably something to read rather than a dead-eyed YouTuber sat at a preternaturally clean desk.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 23, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's nothing unique about composition on the phone versus a big camera, the only differences are going to be the amount of messing around with gear or post processing.

Probably the most verbose book on the topic is "the art of photography" by Bruce Barnbaum. But it's a common recommendation and a pretty good read.

If you can stomach YouTube blabbing I'd start with something like this: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTQtLjIqecdydlanOGh6iwoWOb9VxpDts&si=thHYGOHIGP5qoRt9

It's a relatively well done playlist stepping through the elements of composition and the overall lesson is using a camera is more about observing the world than learning rules. If something catches your eye as "interesting" there's probably something good there so the education is more about teasing the most effective frame out of it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Grumbles posted:

I'm really enjoying shooting photos on this new 15 pro but I'm someone who knows nothing about photography, iPhone or otherwise, beyond tapping subjects to focus on them.
Are there any good resources where I can learn about iPhone photography? Not just the different lenses, but things like toggling focal lengths and how that affects the composition of your photo, all that kind of stuff I'm curious about now.

Preferably something to read rather than a dead-eyed YouTuber sat at a preternaturally clean desk.

Your local library should have books on general photography, and even digital/phone photography and specific editing apps, if they're large enough.

There's also a cell phone photography thread, if you wanna poke around and show some stuff. It's chill; your skill level doesn't matter:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3225491&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’m kinda sympathetic to account sharers, I think if you’re not computer-brained it can be a much more natural way to set up something you don’t really care about. Especially for something like an iPad! “Family iPad” has got to be one of the most common unsupported use cases.

It should be possible to set up individual accounts later and then reassign purchases or whatever post-facto, but because IP law is this world’s prime directive it can’t be allowed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lot of people think "account" is like a bank account and therefore "joint checking account"

That's why back in the day when I was building community sites I avoided using the term "account" and veered toward "profile" to try to prevent people from applying their preexisting metaphors to it

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s genuinely irritating that there’s no way to have a shared contact book though, it would be really convenient.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sri.Theo posted:

It’s genuinely irritating that there’s no way to have a shared contact book though, it would be really convenient.

Fastmail has shared contacts, which is nice (as well as being the best email provider).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Even sharing a password using the new AirDrop thing, it just creates a copy of the password in their account, it doesn't actually create a family password.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

These people are a novel divorce proceeding begging to happen

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

~Coxy posted:

Even sharing a password using the new AirDrop thing, it just creates a copy of the password in their account, it doesn't actually create a family password.

True but this doesn't take away from the functionality of Family Passwords - you can move any of your saved passwords to it and the menu entry to do it is right beside the airdrop entry. I think airdropping a password is intended as a secure way to share a password with someone not in your family group.

So yeah it would be nice if Apple did introduce a Family Contacts list that exists outside of your private contact list, where edits would be shared, while still keeping airdropping for a one-time "here's so-and-so's info" if it goes to someone not in your family group.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

True but this doesn't take away from the functionality of Family Passwords - you can move any of your saved passwords to it and the menu entry to do it is right beside the airdrop entry.

Huh, thanks for that.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

So yeah it would be nice if Apple did introduce a Family Contacts list that exists outside of your private contact list, where edits would be shared, while still keeping airdropping for a one-time "here's so-and-so's info" if it goes to someone not in your family group.

I feel like lots of family’s grew up in households where the mum kept a phone book full of distant relatives phone numbers etc. As you get older and move around it’s a pain not to have that digitised.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
When adding a reminder on the Today screen, is there a quick way to dismiss the auto-complete suggestion for which list to add it to? While it’s active autocorrect straight up doesn’t work and it’s usually suggesting the wrong list for me anyway.

The Grumbles posted:

I don’t know if it’s still common but Apple Stores used to do bookable free lessons on using their devices’ features. I did the photography one and it was actually really good. Some of it was explaining the phone’s features but a lot of it was an intro to photo theory like rule of thirds and leading lines and taking us around the local area showing good photo spots and how to frame them.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

I don’t know if it’s still common but Apple Stores used to do bookable free lessons on using their devices’ features. I did the photography one and it was actually really good. Some of it was explaining the phone’s features but a lot of it was an intro to photo theory like rule of thirds and leading lines and taking us around the local area showing good photo spots and how to frame them.

They still offer these, they're called "Daily Sessions" now and you can find your local store's schedule on their store page through apple.com. My local store has Workshop: Photography on iPhone set for December 27th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Binary Badger posted:

Every Mac user should buy iMazing...
Did you happen to get/install iMazing 3 Beta?
If so, do I need (want) it?
50% now ... for version 2 folks—so probably? Or is that just marketing?