Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

two fish posted:

Where did the whole 7D speed chess thing come from anyway? Did he hint at being some kind of chess master or is it his fandom explaining away insane choices and actions of his?

If you mean the term itself, it's an evolution of the popular expression "you're playing checkers, I'm playing chess", which is just saying "i'm playing a more complex and strategic game than you", ie. "I'm making moves you can't even comprehend and you're going to lose and not even know why". 3D-chess is obviously therefore a level above that and is usually used ironically about people trying to give the impression that they're making very smart moves that just look dumb because you can't understand them, and adding more dimensions just makes the degree of ridicule greater. So saying that he's playing seven-dimensional speed chess is implying that the things he's doing are so extremely stupid that, for them to make any kind of sense at all, he'd have to be operating on a level at least seven times removed from reality as the rest of us understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
best way to remove hard water/dark gunk stains from a bathtub floor?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's pretty much what CLR cleaner is designed to do

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

do it work tho

always been skeptical about infomercials

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

CLR is pretty good at what it does, but you can achieve a lot of what it does with vinegar. Worth a shot given you probably already have some.

Honestly 80% of my cleaning is done with a spray bottle of half strength vinegar.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

alnilam posted:

vinegar. Worth a shot given you probably already have some.

what you trying to say about me

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah if you ever need to clean something you can usually try vinegar first, just leave some of it on these stain for 15 minutes and see if that works. I also just have a half strength vinegar spray bottle under the sink that I use for most things.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

what you trying to say about me

You're just the kind of pathetic loser who would take perfectly good booze, let it ruin itself by becoming acetic acid, and then keep the result in your house, you bastard

I bet you didn't even make it yourself, you let Heinz do it for you and paid actual money for failed booze

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

do it work tho

always been skeptical about infomercials
So you're asking if there's a better way?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

alnilam posted:

You're just the kind of pathetic loser who would take perfectly good booze, let it ruin itself by becoming acetic acid, and then keep the result in your house, you bastard

I bet you didn't even make it yourself, you let Heinz do it for you and paid actual money for failed booze

i have a fridge full of beer that is older than gen alpha :negative:

Foxfire_ posted:

So you're asking if there's a better way?

https://twitter.com/i/status/972229980221353984

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

mystes posted:

I think you still need driver support in both your video card and wifi card (because it requires wifi direct). But I don't have any devices that can act as miracast receiver so I haven't tried it in a while. Maybe most computers support it now.

My impression from before was that it seemed like it usually only worked on laptops with intel integrated graphics and an intel wifi chipset but maybe that's not true anymore.

It's definitely worth trying in case both your laptop and tv happen to support it though.
You're right, I just tried from my desktop, which only has a wired connection, and it doesn't support Miracast unless the hardware does. It's also worth mentioning that whether you use MiraCast or an external transmitter/receiver pair, it needs to support HDMI 1.4 with HDCP 2.2

To keep the cost down, for $100 this Tx/Rx pair from Monoprice is what I would go with (not a referral link) for just having an HDMI cable coming from behind your couch or whatever.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Why are whole blood and plasma two different types of blood donation? If they need plasma can't they extract it from the blood in the bank?
In addition to the answers already given, whole blood includes plasma, red cells, white cells, and platelets, all of which are separated after whole blood donation. Plasma is replaced faster than platelets, and platelets are replaced faster than red or white blood cells. When separated, plasma and platelets are used for people with clotting disorders and people preparing for organ transplants. Plasma is always in demand and since it regenerates fastest, it can be taken more often so people in states and municipalities that allow it will pay for it since they can get college kids, people with low income, and non-IV drug users to come back for cash every few weeks. Red blood cells are in highest demand when a patient has massive blood loss; if a patient's blood type isn't known, like in an emergency response, O- red cells are used since they don't have the surface proteins for A/B/O type or Rh+ factor, so pretty much anyone can receive O- blood without provoking an immune response.

There's also a double red cell donation option. I only have experience with donation in the US, but phlebotomists can only take whole blood donations while a nurse has to perform or supervise apheresis; instead of just drawing blood, a machine is used that centrifuges it, removes a small amount of plasma and double the number of normal red cells, then returns most of the plasma along with platelets, white cells, and a blood thinner to the donor.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

If you mean the term itself, it's an evolution of the popular expression "you're playing checkers, I'm playing chess", which is just saying "i'm playing a more complex and strategic game than you", ie. "I'm making moves you can't even comprehend and you're going to lose and not even know why". 3D-chess is obviously therefore a level above that and is usually used ironically about people trying to give the impression that they're making very smart moves that just look dumb because you can't understand them,

i thought it came from the DIlbert guy? like it was some big political argument on twitter and at some point the guy unironically claimed that either he or trump was "playing 3d chess" which is why moves that appeared stupid to the ignorant masses were actually strokes of strategic genius. and then after that it turned in kind of a meme.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Earwicker posted:

i thought it came from the DIlbert guy? like it was some big political argument on twitter and at some point the guy unironically claimed that either he or trump was "playing 3d chess" which is why moves that appeared stupid to the ignorant masses were actually strokes of strategic genius. and then after that it turned in kind of a meme.

I am fairly certain that the 3d chess meme predates trump becoming the right wing icon. It was about some kind of other idiot.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
the concept of 3d chess has existed for decades, it was in star trek TNG like 30 years ago. it's just shorthand for complicated strategizing, it has nothing to do with goofy internet conspiracy dipshits lol

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

the concept of 3d chess has existed for decades, it was in star trek TNG like 30 years ago. it's just shorthand for complicated strategizing, it has nothing to do with goofy internet conspiracy dipshits lol

Hell, it was in the original Star Trek.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I never watched most of tos but that's not too surprising, it's a really accessible and easy metaphor

Chess is a two dimensional strategy game that the average person can kinda understand the rules of but has absolutely no chance of winning against someone who's put in the time to get good at it. Add another dimension to the game and it's pretty easy to make it a metaphor for complicated maneuvering and forethought.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

Are you saying that star trek used "3d chess" as a meme or just star trek literally depicted a three dimensional version of chess?

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Both, it's visually depicted but also used as a metaphor for the events of the episode.

mystes
May 31, 2006

at any rate the current usage definitely predates trump

This blog post from 2009 has an image referencing a meme about "11 dimensional chess" in relation to Obama: https://www.ghostinthemachine.net/the-myth-of-11-dimensional-chess/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Here's a quick picture of the original. Also fitting for the metaphor, the 3d chess never specifies any rules, and there's no actual reason the added dimension would lead to a more complex game. But as a visual metaphor, it works by implying just that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BonHair posted:

Also fitting for the metaphor, the 3d chess never specifies any rules,

don't worry, trekkies overanalyzed it and came up with some

https://www.chessvariants.com/3d.dir/startrek.html

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks to a friend giving me a hand-me-down Samsung TV, I've been enjoying having Samsung+ channels on as background noise, including the RiffTrax one.

They did a rerun of one of their live shows, and announced that there would be a couple shorts courtesy of Richard Kyanka. Naturally my ears pricked up and I sat down to watch.

When they got to showing the clip, they said "this is from Richard Kyanka, it's his 5 year old daughter Lauren, with animation done by Something Awful [BEEEEEP]"

They just censored what I assume is the "dot.com" part. Or maybe it was Shmorky's name (the animation looked like their work)? Anyway just curious if someone had some insight into that.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thanks to a friend giving me a hand-me-down Samsung TV, I've been enjoying having Samsung+ channels on as background noise, including the RiffTrax one.

They did a rerun of one of their live shows, and announced that there would be a couple shorts courtesy of Richard Kyanka. Naturally my ears pricked up and I sat down to watch.

When they got to showing the clip, they said "this is from Richard Kyanka, it's his 5 year old daughter Lauren, with animation done by Something Awful [BEEEEEP]"

They just censored what I assume is the "dot.com" part. Or maybe it was Shmorky's name (the animation looked like their work)? Anyway just curious if someone had some insight into that.

I assume it was the Jack The Giant Killer live. I have it on my computer and seems like it was just the "dot com". Maybe Samsung didn't want to have a direct SA URL mentioned on their TV channel. There's no bleeping on the Rifftrax's own version.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Here's a question on another Republican: if Nixon was so obviously going to win in 1972, and he did by an enormous landslide, why did he go through all the effort of Watergate? What was the point in risking everything when he was going to win anyway?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nixon was just an extremely weird, vindictive and paranoid dude.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

lobsterminator posted:

I assume it was the Jack The Giant Killer live. I have it on my computer and seems like it was just the "dot com". Maybe Samsung didn't want to have a direct SA URL mentioned on their TV channel. There's no bleeping on the Rifftrax's own version.

Yeah, that was the one. And your explanation makes some sense, though it seems weird that Samsung would give a poo poo about these dead gay forums (especially since all that was bleeped was the "dot com", so anyone could Google "something awful" anyway).

Thanks for checking and the reply!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

two fish posted:

Here's a question on another Republican: if Nixon was so obviously going to win in 1972, and he did by an enormous landslide, why did he go through all the effort of Watergate? What was the point in risking everything when he was going to win anyway?

Apart from the fact that he was a paranoid lunatic, he set up a security apparatus that was inevitably going to end up in something like watergate on account of being full of the weirdest, most incompetent people possible at the time. Read up on the life of G Gordon Liddy if you're interested in the full extent of that clown show.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

where did the "...oh my" titling come from? As in "nouns, other nouns, and third nouns, oh my!"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wizard of Oz.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I should probably watch that someday

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Edit: drat, beaten. But yeah it's a fun old flick. Had some neat camera tricks for the time, I think the tornado effect was so good it was reused a number of times in other projects iirc

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

To this day it remains unquestionably the scariest looking tornado in any movie. Along with other intense and scary moments. Kids movies were no joke back in the day.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I remember being so terrified of the Wicked Witch of the West that my parents had to pause and let me get my stuffed bear for reassurance.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I wonder, was Wicked the first significant work with the "you how the villain of that famous piece of media? They're good actually (or at least relatable)"? Is that where the whole apologia trend began (ref. Loki, Cruella, Maleficent, etc)?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

I wonder, was Wicked the first significant work with the "you how the villain of that famous piece of media? They're good actually (or at least relatable)"? Is that where the whole apologia trend began (ref. Loki, Cruella, Maleficent, etc)?

check out Paradise Lost, op

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Surely there are others, but Hook also fits, right?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Does A Night in the lonesome October count?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

regulargonzalez posted:

What about this one?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BonHair posted:

Surely there are others, but Hook also fits, right?

idk, he's a pretty evil bastard throughout the movie. Even when he's nice/relatable, it's artifice to further his stated plan to emotionally destroy Peter Pan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just watched this video of a blacksmith making some oil lamps, and it made me wonder: how come the wick itself doesn't burn? I get that the fuel travels up it by capillary action, and that's what burns, but I'm not sure how that means the wick doesn't burn. Does it start burning if the lamp runs out of oil?

Also, here's the video. I really like this guy's content, I find it very relaxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idn6_frgw2s