Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Let's talk about something not related to the Dodgers and bawfuls for a sec:

https://twitter.com/therealjpap58/status/1738253661745397908?t=QpgSKYbBUu-5yHWz2IO-jg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mustached Demon posted:

Same number of rings as the Chicago Cubs too.

I love you bawfuls and hope Ohtani hits many dingers against teams not named the Cubs

I actually love bawfuls too and he was the only Dodger fan I remember seeing or hearing that hated the Bauer signing from Day 1 and wanted Friedman to be held accountable to some extent. I’m just giving him poo poo because I’m jealous.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I like it when teams I hate build rosters of likeable guys because it makes me like baseball more in the aggregate. You could even convince me to maybe root for the Yankees in certain matchups because they employ cool and good players (while also having a disturbing trend of hiring lovely dudes who are good at baseball, which is why I still don't LIKE them.)

Which is all to say I am excited to see a bunch of cool and good players all on the Dodgers even without the guarantee of championship success like the Padres did. It'd be neat if they were all in Denver hitting monster dongs off the Rocky Mountains themselves, but hey. LA is Fine.

It'd be neat if my team did literally anything to address what is almost assuredly a sucking chest wound of a back-half rotation, but I can applaud guys getting paid to play in nice places with other good guys.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

anakha posted:

Let's talk about something not related to the Dodgers and bawfuls for a sec:

https://twitter.com/therealjpap58/status/1738253661745397908?t=QpgSKYbBUu-5yHWz2IO-jg

The fact that this shithead doesn't like Verdugo is a mark in his favor.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i don't care for the dodgers getting all of these cool players on their team because i would like them to play for my team, instead

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I know it doesnt mean much but as a casual baseball fan all this Dodgers stuff just checks me out for at least this season. Having at least some sort of parity, or at least the false illusion of competition, makes pro sports much more enjoyable to me and I have no interest in watching one team flaunt their endless pocketbook to buy all the best talent.

e: and this is totally unrelated to the Blue Jays being so unbelievably poorly managed and coached I promise...

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

I know it doesnt mean much but as a casual baseball fan all this Dodgers stuff just checks me out for at least this season. Having at least some sort of parity, or at least the false illusion of competition, makes pro sports much more enjoyable to me and I have no interest in watching one team flaunt their endless pocketbook to buy all the best talent.

actually,,,,,,,,

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Definitely way better than the four world championships in 1955-1965
I said arguably for a reason. I’m sure some geriatrics disagree.

They’ve won more games during this era. (They also abandoned Brooklyn during that time which probably soured a few fans). They’ve broken the previous franchise wins record three times in the last five seasons. They’ve won 100+ games eleven times in their history, and six of those were in the past decade.

2013-2015 was the first time the Dodgers made the postseason in three consecutive years, and they’ve now got an active streak of 11. This was in fact the specific achievement I allowed myself to hope for when McCourt sold the team, I thought it was too greedy to hope for a championship and the baseball gods would punish me for it.

This era has also blessed us with Kershaw, the franchise leader in WAR and strikeouts.

Yeah yeah “rings bitch” and “bawfuls regular season trophy” blah blah. An alarming number of Dodgers fans I see online or talk to in real life share that myopic sentiment. They’re fools, this has been an absolute blessed decade for Dodgers fans and I genuinely feel sorry for any who’ve taken that for granted. Teams just don’t get runs like this often, we gotta savor it in the moment.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

e: and this is totally unrelated to the Blue Jays being so unbelievably poorly managed and coached I promise...
Come back in October. I promise you will be entertained.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Having at least some sort of parity, or at least the false illusion of competition, makes pro sports much more enjoyable to me and I have no interest in watching one team flaunt their endless pocketbook to buy all the best talent.

Sounds like pro sports is just not for you.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

You're wrong to feel this way and let me tell you why

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I’m old enough to remember when the Mets and Padres were destroying competitive balance with their reckless, astronomical spending

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Before a few years ago all of the records for most wins in X consecutive seasons, I think for every value of X between 1 and 9, were held by the Cubs of the 1900s. I should look it up but the current Dodgers may have started bumping them out of a few of those or at least making a hard run at them (though the pandemic hosed that up a lot). Which given how much more competitive modern baseball is than the baseball of 110-120 years ago is really remarkable.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

i don't care for the dodgers getting all of these cool players on their team because i would like them to play for my team, instead

Hear, hear! I'm acutely mad at the Yankees for fumbling Yamamoto this hard.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Remember Tauchmania? It's back, in video form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpHWdQZI-sI

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

We're really still doing this two weeks later?

It's not a $680M interest-free loan. It's 10 different 10-year, $44M loans at ~4.5% interest.

No one was going to give him $700M for 10 years without deferrals. Not the Dodgers, not anyone else. No one is getting "ripped off" here, least of all billionaires like Fisher.

Fair enough, I concede. I did not know the specifics of the structure.

Also I don't care if they were to have been ripped off. Players deserve their share, Shohei deserved his.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

Hear, hear! I'm acutely mad at the Yankees for fumbling Yamamoto this hard.

The Yankees are just not a well run organization man.....

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bravesword posted:

I’m old enough to remember when the Mets and Padres were destroying competitive balance with their reckless, astronomical spending

The difference here is the Dodgers aren't hilariously incompetent

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Intruder posted:

The difference here is the Dodgers aren't hilariously incompetent

Neither are the Astros, Crane is just cheap

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
If you want the actual dark times look at the MLB payrolls from 15 to 20 years ago, 2005 in particular. Freaking Yankees have like the same payroll they do today at 200 plus. Only two other teams were barely over 100 and a ton of teams were sub 50.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bravesword posted:

The mets and padres didn't do the luxury tax fuckery the dodgers are doing with ohtani. Cohen is paying the full freight.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic absolutely obsessed with poor John Fisher getting His Fair Share

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

You're wrong to feel this way and let me tell you why

Am I at least allowed to hate the Yankees and Cardinals for absolutely no reason at all?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mcmagic posted:

The fact that this shithead doesn't like Verdugo is a mark in his favor.

Remember when he choked Bryce Harper lmao

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

You're perfectly right to be disinterested by a lack of parity. Just don't get duped by talking heads into thinking baseball has none because of this or any other big free agent signings.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Also I’m not really reading the last three pages, is it all Dodgers Discourse?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Bregor posted:

there was a little bit about whether or not Verdugo is a bitch, also highly skippable

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bregor posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Bawfuls man your problem is you’re new to being the bad guy. Don’t bother telling people the way they feel is wrong (eg the Yankees didn’t buy a dynasty, they developed amazing players and spent to keep them and complemented them with free agents any team could have afforded). Tell them they’re right and it’s their problem they’re mad, then make a portmanteau with Yamamoto and Ohtani like Ohtanamoto.

After sparring with Astros fans for nearly a decade it’s your turn to put on the nWo tshirt.

In short, kiss the rings and Kershaw is a regular season pitcher

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Don't tell me how to have fun on the internet, I'll gently caress it up all on my own thankyouverymuch

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's time to embrace your destiny

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The famous lack of parity in baseball, where participants in the championship series last year were the wild card from the Dodgers own division and the wild card that tied with their division rival that won two championships, won the league twice more, and were one game away from that twice MORE in the past six years.

All these ownership groups consist of literal billionaires, including a few multibillionaires.

Parity. Lol. Lmao, even.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's time to embrace your destiny

This gif couldn’t exist for the Dodgers because that camera shot is from the second inning.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

This gif couldn’t exist for the Dodgers because that camera shot is from the second inning.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao but also I cannot think of Justin Turner without also thinking of extra innings postseason reliever John Lackey.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
i think it's cool when there are super teams to root against but also bawfuls "woe is me my team wins 110 games every year but we lose in the playoffs" thing is annoying

oh no i get to root for the best team in baseball year in and year out and we win way more than we lose isn't it hard to be me

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The Dodgers are bad because they're not my team and everything else is working backwards from that.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

:lol: the 'Godzilla Matsui' guy got roasted.

quote:

“Ty Schmit, you are a spectacular scumbag,” Passan said with a lisp, referencing Schmit’s Lou Holtz impression. “You are a scumbag. This show understands scumbaggery better than any show out there. Would you not say what Ty did last night was about as bad a thing as you could do to an entire fanbase? To make them think that the one guy all offseason they wanted — this was going to complete the offseason — and then, because of bourbon .. your sources were named Jack, Jim and Jose!”

The tweet in question:

https://twitter.com/tyschmit/status/1737993190181892273

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Well Played Mauer posted:

:thurman: