Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Max Wilco posted:

So I've played about 5 hours of Darktide across the past couple days, and...it seems pretty solid!

I made a Veteran because I figured it would be a good starting class (and because I like ADS). I didn't think there would be options to pick a background (though I don't know if it makes any difference; maybe it changes dialog?). Even as a Veteran with the basic shovel, though, you can really just hack packs of poxwalkers into bits.

I think the customized character personalities are fine, at least from what I've seen so far. As mentioned, though, most other players seem to be Vets, so you get uneven parties with two or three of the same type of character. I don't know if it can make games uneven on higher difficulties, but on Malice (the highest I've played so far), it seems to be fine.

I'm interested in trying the other classes; Zealots seem like they're more melee-focused, and they get Thunder Hammers and Flamers, so that'll be fun.

Something that sort of disappoints me is the cosmetics. I haven't seen much for Zealots/Ogryn, but for Vets, it seem like most of the cosmetics are just variants of the Cadian armor. I thought I remembered seeing cosmetics for Krieg or Steel Legion, but those were either mods, or they're part of the cash shop, and aren't currently in the rotation (right now it's Rogue Trader stuff). Psykers seem to get the coolest looking stuff.

Difficulty-wise, the first two setting seem a little too easy from what I played. The first game of Malice I played, we got wiped out. The second (and third?) went fine, though I got downed a few times and died. I imagine once you hit the level cap, playing on Sedition makes for a fun, super-casual time, but until then, the EXP payout doesn't seem worth it.

Have to play more, because I know there's more I want to talk about, and I'm sure I'll find more faults once I put more time in (only big fault I have so far is that Chaos Spawns are in the game), but I'm liking it pretty well, and it also makes me want to give Vermintide 2 another shot to try the DLC for it.

Glad you're having fun with it! I will say that anyone who hits max level on a class and then just sits in Sedition is a psycho or just doesn't want to actually engage with the game while purging some heretics. Once you get into the swing of the game and pick up the right habits, the higher difficulties are worth getting into running for many reasons.

The main reason is that Damnation (the 5th difficulty) runs are genuinely fun and challenging in a good way. They also provide the best source of the crafting mats, with 2.5x the amount of possible mats to find compared to Heresy (4s). Thus there's good reason to dip your toes in and get used to Damnation as well as it being fun.

All the balance discussion you will see in the thread for what is viable and what isn't revolves around Damnation enemy health. Any difficulty below that it's meaningless to talk about balance outside extreme outliers, especially since it seems pretty clear Fatshark balances around Damnation in general.

P.S.: Having over 600+ hours in Darktide, I only learned within the last month that the cash cosmetic shop run by Hallowette actually has three pages of cosmetics when you go to the class specific pages. There's arrows on the sides you can click! You can see the two previous rotations of cosmetics in edition to the current one! Wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I rolled up a new Zealot so I can get twice the weekly rewards while playing my favorite class.

This is a big brain strategy (positive)!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The overpopulation of Veterans is much less noticeable in Damnation, as well. Dunno why; maybe console vets get stuck at lower difficulties.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I tried playing as a not Ogryn

I didn't realize that ragers, marauders, and scab Ogryns were so dangerous! :mmmsmug:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Potato Salad posted:

I didn't realize that ragers, marauders, and scab Ogryns were so dangerous! :mmmsmug:

Ragers go from something I don't even really notice with Ogryn to my greatest nemesis when I'm on my psycher.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Potato Salad posted:

They're quite trivial for Zealots* as well

*if you've got the crusher, chainaxe or the new eviscerator equipped

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

there are many problems, but there is always one solution

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Legit Businessman posted:

You have one of each class and 2 zealots with your 5 character slots?

Yeah. All level 30, except my new Zealot who is has managed two gain two levels despite having group wipe after wipe at level 4 difficulty. I tried a level 3 and I forgot just how difficult newb groups can make things like shooting at demonhosts, and how you much your toughness recovery options depend on your teammates who are preordained by some divine madness to hold the W key whenever they see a gunner.

If I fail to dodge the 6th trapper shot, I may as well leave since the odds of recovery are zilch.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Difficulty-wise, the first two setting seem a little too easy from what I played. The first game of Malice I played, we got wiped out. The second (and third?) went fine, though I got downed a few times and died. I imagine once you hit the level cap, playing on Sedition makes for a fun, super-casual time, but until then, the EXP payout doesn't seem worth it.

I finally rolled up a psyker a couple weeks ago and it was my first time playing Sedition since the game released.

I'd describe the experience as the very opposite of casual because it seemed like every match was the first time a new player encountered a daemonhost. And, thus, the first time a new player got us all into a fight with the daemonhost.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know there's technically ways to beat the daemonhost with an Ogryn but I wish they'd stop trying to do it and just avoid the thing instead.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The game tries to group you with similarly leveled people, if at all possible. When I did malice as a level 30 (when you need that last contract) I was grouped with other level 30s. Now when I join them I get paired with level 9s. It tends to be a weird experience when you know you have to be on top of your game because you can't one shot fodder like you're used to, and the people you're with panic or just plain get lost

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I know there's technically ways to beat the daemonhost with an Ogryn but I wish they'd stop trying to do it and just avoid the thing instead.

I'm going to two tap every daemonhost I see with my hammer before it has a chance to hurt anyone.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The game tries to group you with similarly leveled people, if at all possible. When I did malice as a level 30 (when you need that last contract) I was grouped with other level 30s. Now when I join them I get paired with level 9s. It tends to be a weird experience when you know you have to be on top of your game because you can't one shot fodder like you're used to, and the people you're with panic or just plain get lost

I'm levelling a psyker after exclusively playing ogryn for a while and it's been difficult to adjust to the squishiness

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Legit Businessman posted:

You have one of each class and 2 zealots with your 5 character slots?

Bear in mind that you aren't actually limited to 5 slots:

https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kdarktide/mods/209?tab=description

The limitation is entirely client side and that mod expands it to 8. There's theoretically no limit, but the mod author decided to keep it low so as not to incur any potential Fatshark wrath.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That seems like a recipe for losing your characters, though.

I use that mod for loadout slots, but who cares if those get deleted.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Do they normally run some sort of holiday event or generally not?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

TescoBag posted:

Do they normally run some sort of holiday event or generally not?
Nah, this is the event, they're on break for a couple of months. Thank god they're leaving the game before going off to vacay in a better state than last year though.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Vermintide has had seasonal events like for Halloween. But yeah, darktide just had an anniversary event so I wouldn't expect anything for Christmas.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Tagichatn posted:

Vermintide has had seasonal events like for Halloween. But yeah, darktide just had an anniversary event so I wouldn't expect anything for Christmas.

Well, fingers crossed they add events as time goes on!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do the Twins count as unyielding?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Reiley posted:

No. Flak and carapace. Void shield is flak too. Look it up online, it's been data mined at this point.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Reiley posted:

They have carapace helmets and flak breastplates, while the rest is mostly unarmoured:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/18j4khu/karnak_twins_stats_armor_types_etc/

In practise you'll usually be hitting flak though, especially because of the shield which also counts as flak apparently.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stealth Zealots/Vets who just dip when things get dicey so their team gets plastered... smdh

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Reiley posted:

I wish. I'm going to have to switch off my hammer for hard mode.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Internet Explorer posted:

Stealth Zealots/Vets who just dip when things get dicey so their team gets plastered... smdh

Hey I'm just making sure you can always maintain maximum stacks of Warp Charge by sending 10+ Ragers directly to you

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Because of this thread I now only ever hear "Hoot the karkin' booty"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6qjvT0DSso

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

ChickenHeart posted:

Hey I'm just making sure you can always maintain maximum stacks of Warp Charge by sending 10+ Ragers directly to you

lol

My auric experience yesterday was desperately backpedaling, blocking, and dodging an onslaught of ragers and maulers while the three stealth zealots hid and then ran away.

Teamwork makes the dream work.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 23, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

LOL

I knew it would be the Judge's voice, and it was.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dunno where these cowardly stealth Zealots are. They should be running past the enemy lines to trigger monstrosities and brining them back to their already pinned group, as I do, like a good Zealot.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/haultrukkz/status/1738115091424280719?t=6qiBPuiS1jZcqJkcLx0JAw&s=19

Some people get the best ideas.

I still want my BLOOD cultists audio mod.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Excellent

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I've got no real issue with Veteran players in general, but for some reason if they're wearing the "beta" helmet, there's a chance I'm in for a bad time as they scrape every corner for ammo/scriptures/grims. Also ignoring all medicae stations. I swear I've never seen a full health bar next to a player icon with the Vet beta helmet.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The new music for the carnival updates for anyone who hasn't heard it or wants to hear it again, the Karnak twin boss music is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_R5WM86DA

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Dunno where these cowardly stealth Zealots are. They should be running past the enemy lines to trigger monstrosities and brining them back to their already pinned group, as I do, like a good Zealot.

You had better be in voice chat going "I've made a friend!" when you do this

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So I haven't used the Veteran talents to improve your medkit and ammo crate. I don't *think* the veteran with those talents needs to be the one to deploy it, right? Do they have to be in coherency? Anywhere but still alive? On the team live or dead?

(Also reason number a billion to hate grimoires is that if a veteran has the improved medkit talent, a grim's corruption will repeatedly heal itself and return, draining the medkit for absolutely zero gain in short order.)

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So I haven't used the Veteran talents to improve your medkit and ammo crate. I don't *think* the veteran with those talents needs to be the one to deploy it, right? Do they have to be in coherency? Anywhere but still alive? On the team live or dead?

(Also reason number a billion to hate grimoires is that if a veteran has the improved medkit talent, a grim's corruption will repeatedly heal itself and return, draining the medkit for absolutely zero gain in short order.)

Only one veteran on a team needs the node for super medkits and boxes. The veteran does need to be alive and not captured for the super boxes to work. Coherency doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Correct, if one vet has the talent for those medkit/ammo crate upgrades (and is alive), anyone in the group deploying such a crate regardless of coherency will be deploying a "supercrate"