Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never actually beaten either the Mage's Guild or Main Quest as a mage, so I've reinstalled!

Here's my current mod list, I'd appreciate recommendations for any other immersion or difficulty type mods, as you'll notice "things that make it harder" and "things related to Ashfall" is 90% of the list.

Also, is there no mod that lets you block automatically with a weapon? I know "shields up" allows Oblivion style manual blocking, but I'd prefer it be automatic, I just won't want to use a shield with this mage.

Mods posted:

#Mod_Name
"Unmanaged: XE Sky Variations"
"DLC: Tribunal"
"DLC: Bloodmoon"
"Morrowind Enhanced Textures"
"Just Drop It"
"Less Lame Leveled Spawns"
"Skills Module"
"MDMD - More Deadly Morrowind Denizens"
"Beware the Sixth House (Sixth House Overhaul)"
"The Crafting Framework"
"UI Expansion"
"Ashfall - A Camping Survival and Needs Mod"
"Bed Buddies"
"Realistic Repair"
"Graphic Herbalism - MWSE and OpenMW Edition"
"Weapon Sheathing"
"Animation Blending"
"Jasmine"
"Harder Barter"
"Enchanted Item Cost Rebalance"
"Tamriel_Data"
"Tamriel Rebuilt"
"Westley's Pluginless Head Replacer Complete"

Oh yeah, the new animation blending mod is extremely good; I imagine if you're someone that prefers to play Elder Scrolls games in third person this is a god send. I tend to go into third person while walking around town, and it's a noticeable improvement.

EDIT- Oooooh Merlod created a mod called DRIP, that adds diablo style weapon properties. Has anyone tried this? I'd like to use if it's not too powerful.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

EDIT- Oooooh Merlod created a mod called DRIP, that adds diablo style weapon properties. Has anyone tried this? I'd like to use if it's not too powerful.

its good. I'm not sure what other difficulty mods you're running, just be ready to turn it up or down depending on your setup. proportional progression (slower leveling) and mdmd -> you'll be fine

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

When I played back in August I found Abot's site to be the best source for most of this stuff. It's not perfect, still some dead links and reliant on archive.org for some which is hit and miss, but best we've got at the moment unfortunately. Hope things are ok with Fliggerty, not like him to vanish.

Cheers, this helps a lot! :)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

mbt posted:

its good. I'm not sure what other difficulty mods you're running, just be ready to turn it up or down depending on your setup. proportional progression (slower leveling) and mdmd -> you'll be fine

Just the ones that make barter give less money, the generic magic items cost more, and more dangerous sixth house monsters and named NPCs. I'll see if I can tune DRIP down some, I like to delay the power curve as much as possible.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the least pain in the rear end way to negate high elf mage with atronach stone? A lot of people are like use mark/recall and Intervention to shrine restore but that's a lot of steps for early game when you're refilling a lot

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Summon ancestral ghost and smack it a few times.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the least pain in the rear end way to negate high elf mage with atronach stone? A lot of people are like use mark/recall and Intervention to shrine restore but that's a lot of steps for early game when you're refilling a lot
Honestly it's not worth it. Just go Apprentice, life's too short for that kind of micromanagement

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, fair. I don't want to break alchemy because it's too easy. Guess I'll just roll my usual Breton with apprentice. Altmer does feel like you gotta do a lot of extra steps just to not get splattered

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm looking to make my second ever Morrowind mod and wanted to ask a few basic questions at the start.

I'd like to make a small mod that makes magicka always regen at the same rate as resting, so you get just a bit back while moving around the game world. Every mod I can find currently sets it much higher, to the point that it drastically changes the game.

I'm not sure what's considered appropriate in the modding community, but I feel like the fastest way to do this would be to load up an existing mod and just change some numbers then publish my own version? But that might be considered stealing someone else's work? Could I just maybe provide proper attribution and credits when uploading the mod?

I'd guess this mod requires...scripting? I'd appreciate any articles or videos people could recommend about how to do that. I'm not a programmer but I do create XML scripts at work so I feel like this should be something I can wrap my head around, but if anyone has any advice to get me started I'd appreciate it. I wanted to get this post into the thread at the start, so currently I don't really have a clue how what this modding process will look like at a high level, I've only just gotten the creation kit reinstalled I'm poking around online for guides.

Edit - I found a good base mod, and loading it up in the tool kit I can see the custom script set to load on game start, so really I just edit this and then save it as my own .ESP?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 15, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You could do a lua where you can have a config page where there's a regen slider, and the mod adds 1 magic point to the player every amount of ticks proportional to how slid the slider is?

There may be some gotchas such as if you aren't careful it will "regen" you past your max. One way to avoid that is instead of hooking into onload, hook yourself into onspellcasted or onmagicdrained / damaged.

if i'm right this doesn't exactly work lol. you'd need to start with say, hooking onload, checking to see if tutorial finished, if it's finished check to see if atronoch, if it's there, you're done. If it's not there, also hook the set of events to know the state where you need to be adding mp to the player. Then do the set of functions that will actually read the slider value and add the mp when the hooks hook.

alternately just add some kinda fake starsign that regens player magic the normal way.

There may even be a way to do this while still making it adjustable by the player from within the game without it being an insane bullshit mess. There probably is a "restore mp" that doesn't actually shoot a spell onto you and isn't going to go past your max? You could skip all the bullshit about manually adding mp and dicking around with conditions and hooks and have it continually just restore some juice periodically if you can figure out how to do the config page. You'd still need to onload, check if tutorial finished & not atronach sign, start regen etc. if not finished load the hook for when it finishes and then have it start regen normally.

I still have my install somehow all rear end backwards and need to reinstall and figure out how to do config pages tbh, so i couldn't even basically jerk around and test to see if i'm on the right track.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If I run tes3cmd clean, and it returns "was not modified", does that mean the mod was already clean? All I did in the mod was create (paste) a script, then add that script to the start scripts section, so I don't think I actually have anything (objects, cells, etc) to clean?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Should be good to go

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Either the latest TR update doesn't like my mod list, or I've got to solve the new "Almas Thirr civil engineers really hosed up" quest.

It is fun to watch the Ordinators furiously tear around ganking slaughterfish though

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm having the weirdest modded Morrowind experience of my life where I dumped like 200 mods on top of the game, got all my MGE configs set up, launched the game and it just... ran. No weird issues or conflicts, no crashes, hell the game doesn't even crash when I close it! In over 15 years of modding this game I've never had anything even remotely close to this smooth of an experience, it rules.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I had the same feeling when I followed danaes huge modlist. No way this is gonna just work and oh look at that it works

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I made a mod that gives a very slow real-time mana regen. It's nothing like the mana regen in Oblivion or Skyrim, but it sooths the part of my brain that hates that the mana will never, ever go up unless I rest. Some examples would be that in 5 minutes a character with no magical aptitude could re-cast Balyna's Soothing Balm, while in that time your average starting mage could re-cast Ondusi's Open Door, and notable mage could re-cast Summon Greater Bone Walker.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Larry Cum Free posted:

Either the latest TR update doesn't like my mod list, or I've got to solve the new "Almas Thirr civil engineers really hosed up" quest.

It is fun to watch the Ordinators furiously tear around ganking slaughterfish though

are you trying to load an old save? are you trying to load a (very old) tr_preview

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

I dream of an OpenMW mod that lets me put things in a backpack, so I can leave my backpack in my rented room before I go check out the new town I've just arrived in.

And that ashland survival one with drinking water and getting cold in the rain.

Stranger in a strange land from one rented room in an inn to the next.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Sumerian Telecom posted:

I dream of an OpenMW mod that lets me put things in a backpack, so I can leave my backpack in my rented room before I go check out the new town I've just arrived in.

And that ashland survival one with drinking water and getting cold in the rain.

Stranger in a strange land from one rented room in an inn to the next.

I made a really simple travel trunk mod for inns that’s OpenMW compatible cause it doesn’t require MWSE: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46833

Also, if anyone’s been wondering why my mod site is down and I’m gone from discord, the first is due to server issues that are being really fucky to resolve. The second is due to me totally wiping that discord account to avoid potential doxxing (dumb drama from a writing server I’m not gonna get into). I’ll return to the discord under a new name whenever I get back to modding.

In the meantime I’ll drop my dropbox links for all my old GHF mods here:
Uvirith’s Legacy: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqxbej0nef7bg9e/Uviriths_Legacy_3.53.7z?dl=0
The Tea Mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/szsosc8aopvtx08/TeaMod_2.1.7z?dl=0
Animated Containers Optimized (mesh replacer): https://www.dropbox.com/s/nq7rtwh3qq0zq23/AC_Optimized.7z?dl=0
ST Alchemy (Sri’s Alchemy Update): https://www.dropbox.com/s/f20hc7wkyp4gjzw/ST_Alchemy_1.52.7z?dl=0
Books of Vvardenfell: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki6jb5ujgf6xf5j/BooksofVvardenfell_2.41.7z?dl=0
Quest Tweaks and Alternates: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ihtlpfrzfhiwxo/QTA_1.19.7z?dl=0
Rincewind’s Luggage: https://www.dropbox.com/s/emsmj7tv4n13n11/Rincewinds_Luggage_1.2.7z?dl=0
Paackguar Advanced: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fxpfih6947qood/Packguar_Advanced_Beta.rar?dl=0
Propylons 1.3 (CDC Propylons Update): https://www.dropbox.com/s/szts877hej7qwja/Propylons_1.3.7z?dl=0
ST Dummies (practice dummy mod): https://www.dropbox.com/s/4k0qjk396ehg8y0/ST_dummies_3.12.7z?dl=0
Kwama Eggs Enhanced (a mod that makes egg farming random): https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vq6w5o09ev5kf0/KwamaEggs_Enhanced.7z?dl=0
Fresh Start Chargen (simple script so you can write your own or just be plopped down without starting the main quest): https://www.dropbox.com/s/e20ltf4lq6g4pzt/FreshStartChargen.7z?dl=0
Get Fezzed (a really goddamn stupid mod): https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4219tec08sn326/Get_Fezzed.7z?dl=0
Myron Reducto’s Shrinkwand (another stupid joke mod): https://www.dropbox.com/s/8v2opyqw8a9iyt7/MyronReductos_Shrinkwand.rar?dl=0

I think all the rest are on Nexus. Let me know if you remember one I forgot. And feel free to drop these links anywhere else.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sydin posted:

I'm having the weirdest modded Morrowind experience of my life where I dumped like 200 mods on top of the game, got all my MGE configs set up, launched the game and it just... ran. No weird issues or conflicts, no crashes, hell the game doesn't even crash when I close it! In over 15 years of modding this game I've never had anything even remotely close to this smooth of an experience, it rules.

Yeah my latest modlist is like that, way more stable then my mostly only viva new vegas mods New Vegas install with a lot less mods. Probably helps that I stopped trying to get texture/model mods for every single thing and just stick with intelligent textures, bug fix mods, and BCOM as the main mods, with everything else being feature mods like mantling from Thief, area, and quest mods that I know don't conflict with each other's areas.

Has anyone tried this mod? Seems like 90+ quests would mean they aren't very high quality and might lead to compatibility but the vampire clans are pretty thin in content so I was curious:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49486

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FlocksOfMice posted:

^^ That has been modded in like over 10 years ago in a dozen different mods, including the seminal BCOM which compiles all the big town mods of the past few years into one easy install package.

If you want to make Vivec way better and by better I mean way worse and by worse I mean it's my favorite Vivec, there's https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/51777?tab=description&BH=1

Which hollows out the cantons and fills them with things, including residential sections just there for flavor and with empty apartments you can move into and take over and it takes literally like 5 minutes to leave your apartment block in the morning. It's incompatible with everything and uses a chunk of my VWE mod for gussying things up so I am biased but it's my favorite Vivec and it's hard to go back to tiny hallways Vivec after seeing it like this.

The best Vivec mod is and will always be Compatible Redesigned Vivec.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49336/

Sydin posted:

I'm running 576 mods at the moment. The MGE team have done yeoman's work. Morrowind now doesn't give a poo poo. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Balmora always did need more trees.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm level 11 on a permadeath, non-cheesy playthrough of Morrowind and I really dunno if I'm going to make it - I'm to the point where I'm poking my head into higher tier areas like Deadric ruins and trying to fight the people inside because I really need to up my gear from Imperial Steel and Iron FlameMace, but the stuff in there can absolutely kill me if I don't handle them correctly. As a player I don't have any sort of Encyclopedic knowledge of where the good loot is so I'm just sort of picking tough fights and waiting to find something special. It's a huge risk though, there's people in these places that can hit for a third of my health or with very dangerous abilities and two or three times lately I've only just managed to get out my amulet of recall before they killed me.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm level 11 on a permadeath, non-cheesy playthrough of Morrowind and I really dunno if I'm going to make it - I'm to the point where I'm poking my head into higher tier areas like Deadric ruins and trying to fight the people inside because I really need to up my gear from Imperial Steel and Iron FlameMace, but the stuff in there can absolutely kill me if I don't handle them correctly. As a player I don't have any sort of Encyclopedic knowledge of where the good loot is so I'm just sort of picking tough fights and waiting to find something special. It's a huge risk though, there's people in these places that can hit for a third of my health or with very dangerous abilities and two or three times lately I've only just managed to get out my amulet of recall before they killed me.

Sounds like you're playing as the divines intended. May the wind be at your back

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That kind of run sounds really appealing but for it to work I'd need to play with randomizer mods so I couldn't know where all the good poo poo is and what areas to avoid because of powerful enemies.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I'm fortunate enough to never really retain the knowledge of where, say, the unattended ebony weapons are, or whatever. But if you played a character that couldn't benefit from most gear (a pure mage?) and installed a mod like MDMD to change up the hard fights, you could probably do it.

Here's what I'd say is the core of the list:

• Mod - More Deadly Morrowind Denizens
  • Mod - Harder Barter
  • Mod - Enchanted Item Cost Rebalance
  • Rule - No stealing, and no using items flagged for your faction, including guild supply chests

I've been playing for tens of hours and I've spent all of it firmly stuck at the bottom of end of the usually meteoric power surge. I did just loot a full set of Master's alchemy gear though, and it looks like now I can craft Healing Potions equal to or better than the Quality Restore Health; being able to spam those is going to allow me to face tank a LOT of enemies; I'm going straight back to a Deadric Shrine I had to flee from because I was fighting a Dremora Lord that had summoned his own Dremora.

Really though, being able to face down tougher enemies more cavalierly is probably going to get me killed - face tanking enemies with potent potions is going to work until it doesn't. Ugh, I still haven't reached the Urshilaku camp - I was traveling up the Foyada, peeked into a ancestor shrine, and got beaten half to death by I don't know who, Dunmer in bonemold armor that seemed to have killed innocent people. Must be some quest, might be touched by MDMD because every one of them hits like a truck.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Sydin posted:

That kind of run sounds really appealing but for it to work I'd need to play with randomizer mods so I couldn't know where all the good poo poo is and what areas to avoid because of powerful enemies.

Roll a new character and go straight to a TR zone you haven't seen yet?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Train instead of gear is maybe the best way then? Fortify skill?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Go see that one merchant in Balmora -Ravirr? And steal his bound daedric weapons or buy them if you're feeling generous

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly once you take down a couple of dremora lords you'll probably have some near endgame weapons, between that and hitting the alchemy milestone I think you're past the worst until you get killed by some stupid unbalanced tribunal enemy that kills you immediately with a stick that has higher attack power than a daedric katana.

I tried to play somewhat blind in my recent playthrough but apparently some of these gear locations are just permanent lodgers in my brain from a formative age. I suspect there could be useful things there instead. I'll be wandering around the loving nursing home looking in the second left food bin for a powerful pair of trousers.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Honestly once you take down a couple of dremora lords you'll probably have some near endgame weapons, between that and hitting the alchemy milestone I think you're past the worst until you get killed by some stupid unbalanced tribunal enemy that kills you immediately with a stick that has higher attack power than a daedric katana.

Yeah, I can already see I'm at a tipping point where I'm beating deadra with routine supplies and effort. But the two dremora lords I've killed so far had dwemer equipment and I'm glad they're already dead so they can't see how disappointed I am.

I have Beware the Sixth House installed so I'll still probably get punched to death under Red Mountain.

I took a detour and played the console release on a cool Xbox and it's remarkable how well it holds up. i think this will actually be the next way I play the game.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

So I've made a fresh install following Danae's modlist, including UI Revamped and my crosshair is doubled. It's supposed to be just a dot, but it has the default cross as well. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Edit: worked it out, essential indicators was interacting weirdly with it. Reinstalling them both fixed it.

Captain Theron fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 21, 2023

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I made a mod that gives a very slow real-time mana regen. It's nothing like the mana regen in Oblivion or Skyrim, but it sooths the part of my brain that hates that the mana will never, ever go up unless I rest. Some examples would be that in 5 minutes a character with no magical aptitude could re-cast Balyna's Soothing Balm, while in that time your average starting mage could re-cast Ondusi's Open Door, and notable mage could re-cast Summon Greater Bone Walker.

This is cool. Your math seems a little off here though:

Noted time to cast/regen for a "Notable Mage"
Balyna's Soothing Balm (2 Magicka), 13 seconds
Fireball (5 Magicka), 11 minutes, 33 seconds

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Vadun posted:

This is cool. Your math seems a little off here though:

Noted time to cast/regen for a "Notable Mage"
Balyna's Soothing Balm (2 Magicka), 13 seconds
Fireball (5 Magicka), 11 minutes, 33 seconds

Ah, you're probably right, I just did some napkin math there and probably messed something up. Anecdotally I can say it lets a 75 magicka 55 will power change do things like cast a few utility spells (like conjure a dagger for animal skinning and soothing balm) and have the mana stay more or less stable.

Regarding regen, playing again on the xbox has reminded me of how I used to handle healing: I would Just Sleep: conking out for three or four hours after every fight is the path of least resistance when you consider that it's faster to access and execute than a healing spell and has no logistical constraints. Throw down with a nix hound? Sleep a bandit then sleep yourself. Sleep in the wilderness and welcome every interruption as more loot and more long blade practice.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I used the spell that temporarily set my Int to zero and my magicka would be refilled afterward #CHIM

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

whydirt posted:

I used the spell that temporarily set my Int to zero and my magicka would be refilled afterward #CHIM

there should be an in-game novel with this as the twist

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

whydirt posted:

Just factory reset your brain and you'll have a full mana supply, genius!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
mod that if any stat hits zero you just instantly die

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Friends, I have never touched Morrowind before and am about to. I grabbed it from GOG and will be going MGSE rather than OpenMW.

My plan is to throw... let's see... MGE, the code patch, I guess the Enhanced Textures, into MO2 and fire it up. After I play a while I'm sure I'll spiral into the modding hole, never to see the light of day again. But for now, I just want to Play Morrowind and go from there. Is there anything I really need to know or any land mines I'm about to step on?

I actually know next to nothing about the game, the story, the lore. I'm sure I'll be back with a Brand New Player trip report for all of you to laugh at and get all wistful about.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Fatigue is the most important thing in the entire game. If you can't hit something, or pick a lock, or cast a spell, it's mostly because you've been running. Other than that, if you use the weapon you're most skilled in at character creation, rather than whatever else you find lying around, you should be good.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Fatigue even effects sales price