Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The buttons work because dogs and cats understand basic noun-verb arrangements and what they result in. It’s not language understanding. It’s classical conditioning. That these animals can be conditioned to press a wide array of phrases shouldn’t be surprising, domesticated animals have been doing tricks forever. The end result is the animal being able to express their basic needs without having to fully understand language so yeah it does work like language but it is not “language” as your or I know it.

They aren’t asking the cat how he feels about Israel/Palestine, it’s always something the animal has been taught to understand like “want outside” or “pee now” or whatever.

It's classical conditioning, but what it's conditioning is pressing a sequence of buttons for a reward. That's it. There's no language involved. You could wire the buttons up to anything you wanted; the buttons could play a recorded audio clip (saying "feed me" or "gently caress you" or "spock ate my balls"), the buttons could tip random strangers on Onlyfans, the buttons could make random shitposts on internet forums. The dog doesn't care (or know) about the _meaning_ of the buttons, only that pressing them in sequence gets it fed.

The most extreme example is probably when BF Skinner taught pigeons to pilot guided missiles. The pigeons did not (as far as we know) want to do kamikaze death rides into military targets, they just knew that pushing buttons in response to stimulus got them fed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
my cat would be so loving annoying if he had those buttons

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tobermory posted:

It's classical conditioning, but what it's conditioning is pressing a sequence of buttons for a reward. That's it. There's no language involved. You could wire the buttons up to anything you wanted; the buttons could play a recorded audio clip (saying "feed me" or "gently caress you" or "spock ate my balls"), the buttons could tip random strangers on Onlyfans, the buttons could make random shitposts on internet forums. The dog doesn't care (or know) about the _meaning_ of the buttons, only that pressing them in sequence gets it fed.

The most extreme example is probably when BF Skinner taught pigeons to pilot guided missiles. The pigeons did not (as far as we know) want to do kamikaze death rides into military targets, they just knew that pushing buttons in response to stimulus got them fed.

That’s what I was attempting to say. It feels like language even if it isn’t so that probably feels satisfying for a lot of people. Me and the dog agree on sounds meaning common things and now he can just press a button to express that feeling. The main thing is I don’t have to ask my dog if he wants food or wants to go outside to pee, whereas I did before. I could also just train him to get my attention and then go to the door but the buttons were actually more convenient. He just tells me. Just having quick access to express specific reward desires is a pretty cool thing imo.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Try moving the buttons around, now what you stupid cat

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
All these buttons give you various flavors of food, but one connects gasoline to your bidet........ dare you press the buttons............

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Karate Bastard posted:

All these buttons give you various flavors of food, but one connects gasoline to your bidet........ dare you press the buttons............

These Saw sequels keep going downhill.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Tobermory posted:

And now we call it data entry

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

And now we call it data entry

I loved data entry so much. I entered so much data.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

redshirt posted:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

redshirt posted:

We’ll call you Lt Yar then

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PAR-479 baby!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Karate Bastard posted:

Why isn't gasoline a bathroom spray scent? Is there not a way to capture the essence without also killing brain cells?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why isn't gasoline a bathroom spray scent? Is there not a way to capture the essence without also killing brain cells?

The chemical that makes gasoline smell so delicious is benzene, so I would say probably not.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Focus on one point real hard and circles appear.

Then it becomes one of those things where once you see it the first time you can make your brain alternate between squares and circles.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Then it becomes one of those things where once you see it the first time you can make your brain alternate between squares and circles.

What witchcraft is this?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Scratch Monkey posted:

We’ll call you Lt Yar then

When you Tasha, Data enter you.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

redshirt posted:

What witchcraft is this?

I’m unlocking the secret third hemisphere of your brain.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The chemical that makes gasoline smell so delicious is benzene, so I would say probably not.

Double curse if you're old enough is that leaded gasoline smelled better yet!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cartoon Man posted:

I only recognise USB and Ethernet ports. Maybe HDMI?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

redshirt posted:

What witchcraft is this?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Killer robot posted:

Double curse if you're old enough is that leaded gasoline smelled better yet!

You'd rub a little leaded gasoline behind your ear for good luck.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Go work at a service station.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

PainterofCrap posted:

Go work at a service station.

Without killing brain cells.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
That's operant conditioning. Classical is respondent conditioning, which is limited to reflexes and other biologically fixed across. Operant allows for very complex sequence and fine discriminations. Classical is antecedent based, operant is (mostly) consequence/reward based.

Cats have no clue what the "mad" "why" and other abstract buttons are, other than "this gets human attention." You can teach them to use buttons to request more tangible things like certain activities, toys, pets, etc.

I've taught quail to find various colors and match shapes, and others have taught them to sort music and paintings by style. They can learn cool poo poo. But this tiktok button stuff ain't it.

Source: 3 degrees and a decade of research experience.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Gaming Garbage has put up a bunch of new videos today. Lowtax posting from beyond the grave.

https://www.youtube.com/@GamingGarbage/videos

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Death is no release from posting

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
EVEN IN DEATH I STILL POST

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The buttons work because dogs and cats understand basic noun-verb arrangements and what they result in. It’s not language understanding. It’s classical conditioning. That these animals can be conditioned to press a wide array of phrases shouldn’t be surprising, domesticated animals have been doing tricks forever. The end result is the animal being able to express their basic needs without having to fully understand language so yeah it does work like language but it is not “language” as your or I know it.

They aren’t asking the cat how he feels about Israel/Palestine, it’s always something the animal has been taught to understand like “want outside” or “pee now” or whatever.

We know that smart trained dogs can understand hundreds of words. A service dog has commands to do a multitude of very specific activities. Dogs can understand sound "outside" refers to going outside, but their vocal apparatus is incapable of making that sound. It is plausible that a button with their person's voice saying "outside" could quickly be associated with the concept of going outside and be used to meaningfully request going outside.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Noir89 posted:

This.

It's just an extension of cats how cats learn to communicate with owners. I have a tendencey to think aloud on my own, I also constantly talk with my cat. This have resulted in a very(very) verbal cat, she meows for everything. She does certain sounds for food, some for attention, some for pets, just generally by herself when happy etc. None of this is normal cat communication, they are very silent animals after the kitten stage, due to not being apex predators. Billie have just replaced the meows with hitting buttons as a way to communicate with humans.

Cool, I have an extremely verbal dog for the same reason :)
He sounds like Chewbacca

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

We trained our beagle to ring a bell at the back door to go out.

Which worked great until he figured out that it didn't have to be because he wanted to go pee or crap. He could ring the bell and be let out to stand outside and sniff for a half hour.

The bell didn't last long.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i also need to see your nipples, for science

please form an orderly line

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
your nipples aren't lined up already?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

https://y.yarn.co/c2f8755c-9ddf-4c9c-9ad3-99f04573496f.mp4

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cartoon Man posted:

They appear because they are there.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

MrUnderbridge posted:

We trained our beagle to ring a bell at the back door to go out.

Which worked great until he figured out that it didn't have to be because he wanted to go pee or crap. He could ring the bell and be let out to stand outside and sniff for a half hour.

The bell didn't last long.

Same but the command "bring me your leash!" Whoops turns out dogs always want to go outside.

"Leash for you sir."
"May I offer you a leash in these trying times."
"May I suggest a leash?"
"Hey, look what I found, (it's the leash)."

Anyway

Scientists make major breakthrough in human/ape communication.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dienes posted:

That's operant conditioning. Classical is respondent conditioning, which is limited to reflexes and other biologically fixed across. Operant allows for very complex sequence and fine discriminations. Classical is antecedent based, operant is (mostly) consequence/reward based.

Cats have no clue what the "mad" "why" and other abstract buttons are, other than "this gets human attention." You can teach them to use buttons to request more tangible things like certain activities, toys, pets, etc.

I've taught quail to find various colors and match shapes, and others have taught them to sort music and paintings by style. They can learn cool poo poo. But this tiktok button stuff ain't it.

Source: 3 degrees and a decade of research experience.

This is cool as gently caress.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This dude who I saw in Key West is the only person I've ever seen train house cats. Not really cursed unless you count his bizarre behavior but relevant to the derail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGK361KA-FU&t=90s

Most impressive thing to me is how he gets them to just run back into their carriers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A man who can train cats has the potential for great evil, yet he uses his powers... for good?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
As a wise man of byob once said, you must use your powers for good as well as for evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

redshirt posted:

What witchcraft is this?

The circles are actually there. The "boxes" at first glance look like they have mitered corners, but they haven't.