Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

xiw posted:

Looking for some more ideas for lan gaming over xmas. For context, we'll have 5-10 people, a range of machines, a big range of gaming experience. In the past anything competitive hasn't really worked, co-op generally good, drop-in drop-out helps, cheap / gamepass helps.

in the past this group has enjoyed:
terraria, killing floor, mindustry, factorio, valheim, grounded (limit of 4 was annoying), AI War, tf2 bots, warframe, artemis, bf1942

stuff that we bounced off / didn't get enjoyed much:
lfd2, darktide, vermintide

Currently considering:
lethal company (i see there's a mod to play with more than 4), v rising, empty episilon, worms.

serious sam is perfect for what you are describing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

xiw posted:

Looking for some more ideas for lan gaming over xmas. For context, we'll have 5-10 people, a range of machines, a big range of gaming experience. In the past anything competitive hasn't really worked, co-op generally good, drop-in drop-out helps, cheap / gamepass helps.

terraria, killing floor, mindustry, factorio, valheim, grounded (limit of 4 was annoying), AI War, tf2 bots, warframe, artemis, bf1942

Currently considering:
lethal company (i see there's a mod to play with more than 4), v rising, empty episilon, worms.

conan exiles or 7 days to die, if y'all are down for more survival stuff

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Cheers, necesse looks promising. We tried a little serious sam and 7dtd and they might be worth starting again - 7dtd's initial UI turned off some people pretty badly but worth a retry.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Jackbox games scale well, they're not really LAN games but they're a good icebreaker.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

xiw posted:

Cheers, necesse looks promising. We tried a little serious sam and 7dtd and they might be worth starting again - 7dtd's initial UI turned off some people pretty badly but worth a retry.

Core Keeper might work as well
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1621690/Core_Keeper/

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I played through the proto23 idle game lately and now I'm looking for something similar but more feature-complete. By which I mean a cultivation-themed incremental game with a focus on training and adventure. I guess it doesn't have to be an idle/incremental game, I'm just kindof itching for a slow progression and gradual unlocking of new areas to explore, that kind of thing.

I found Immortality Idle too but it focuses on the time management mechanics so you don't have much direct interaction with the world. Immortality Idle is also kindof stupid to be honest. Amazing Cultivation Simulator would also come to mind but that's a base management game.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

xiw posted:

Currently considering:

Don’t Starve Together
Core Keeper (esp if you liked Terraria)

Obvious but Minecraft

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
My partner is completely obsessed with Grindstone on iOS and I’m looking for similar things. She’s also loved Solitairica but didn’t immediately get in to slay the spire when I showed it to her, so if anyone can suggest an easy to pick up rogue-lite (emphasis on the lite) with a nice crunchy feel to it and cute characters, and preferably no micro transactions! iOS, switch or slow ish windows laptop for platforms.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

occluded posted:

My partner is completely obsessed with Grindstone on iOS and I’m looking for similar things. She’s also loved Solitairica but didn’t immediately get in to slay the spire when I showed it to her, so if anyone can suggest an easy to pick up rogue-lite (emphasis on the lite) with a nice crunchy feel to it and cute characters, and preferably no micro transactions! iOS, switch or slow ish windows laptop for platforms.

Critter Crunch from the same people as Grindstone?

Brutal Orchestra? Dandy Dungeon - Legend of Brave Yamada -? Night of The Full Moon? Beglitched? Fidel Dungeon Rescue? Road Not Taken?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xiw posted:

Currently considering:
Thirding necesse and core keeper.

I swear this is a serious suggestion: The 2010 rerelease Aliens Versus Predator Classic 2000. It runs on a potato and has a co-op mode and a bunch of semi-co-op modes. It's also only a buck 50 on gog right now and supports cross play with steam https://www.gog.com/en/game/aliens_versus_predator_classic_2000

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 21, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Thread, throw me some games that are:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar
* Not EA or Ubisoft (i.e. doesn't require me to install a platform other than Steam/GOG to play)

For reference, I absolutely loved the Mercenaries games from almost 20 years ago. Just give me a game where I can cruise around, blow some poo poo up, run missions or ignore them if I feel like ignoring them, harming bystanders is discouraged but the game isn't going to stop you from doing so. Besides GTA, obviously.

No game is too obvious. I haven't really touched this genre since Mercenaries besides GTA. And decades-old games are fine with me. What's good?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 21, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar
* Not EA or Ubisoft (i.e. doesn't require me to install a third party platform to play)

For reference, I absolutely loved the Mercenaries games from almost 20 years ago. Just give me a game where I can cruise around, blow some poo poo up, run missions or ignore them if I feel like ignoring them, harming bystanders is discouraged but the game isn't going to stop you from doing so. Besides GTA, obviously.

No game is too obvious. I haven't really touched this genre since Mercenaries besides GTA. And decades-old games are fine with me. What's good?

Sleeping Dogs
Sunset Overdrive
Yakuza

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

xiw posted:

Currently considering:

We are just starting to tool around in Lego Fortnite, so far it's fun, though not sure how long that'll hold up. It's similar enough to Valheim that I would imagine it bothers the devs, but with a much more friendly tone on account of it being Lego.

Also has the advantage of being free.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Vangers

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

occluded posted:

Dunno if it's on iOS, but Cobalt Core came out recently and is a cute roguelite deck builder.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar
* Not EA or Ubisoft (i.e. doesn't require me to install a platform other than Steam/GOG to play)

Saints Row 2-4 feels almost too obvious

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:hmmyes:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Eric the Mauve posted:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar

The Saboteur is probably my favorite in the genre, even above the better writing and better combat of Sleeping Dogs. Blowing up Nazis never gets old.

Just Cause 2 is probably the closest to the Mercenaries series. Never played JC1, but JC3 and 4 are more modern with a couple of good mechanical changes, but the destruction is somehow less satisfying.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Eric the Mauve posted:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar

Wait for a couple hours, buy Sleeping Dogs (Definitive Edition) in the winter sale for ~$5, and use the money you saved to buy yourself a pork bun.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

Wait for a couple hours, buy Sleeping Dogs (Definitive Edition) in the winter sale for ~$5, and use the money you saved to buy yourself a pork bun.

Already on sale for three dollars on GOG, good rec!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah Just Cause really is the closest in spirit to Mercenaries since there's a similar element of just blowing up poo poo across the map and doing jobs for factions while trying to take down a dictator. You can call supply drops, pick up AI soldiers to take with you, and there's a whole thing where you get bonus payments for blowing up poo poo (under the premise that any chaos helps destabilize the regime). The gunplay is also kinda generally janky like Mercenaries, but it makes up for it with things like the physics and the fantastic grappling hook/parachute/wingsuit system.

There was also a sequel to Mercenaries back on the PS3/360 that you could go find if you want something more directly like Mercenaries, but both Pandemic Studios and Lucasarts are now dead.

If you wanna branch out a bit more, I'd also recommend Prototype, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, and Metal Gear Solid V, which all have stories that you can kinda dip out of for a while and screw around a bit.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

occluded posted:

Cobalt Core is a really good deckbuilder that came out recently. It's about as much of a roguelite as StS is-- there's metaprogression but the game doesn't get easier over time.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar

The Earth Defence Force games have large enough levels that even though mission based it's got that open world feel and the mayhem is very high.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar

Streets of Rogue isn't quite open world, but it is definitely mayhem

(the sequel is going to be open world and might be worth keeping an eye on)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar

Metal Gear Solid 5, seriously. It's nominally a stealth game but there's incredible chaos potential when you "mess up" and the battle escalates.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

fez_machine posted:

The Earth Defence Force games have large enough levels that even though mission based it's got that open world feel and the mayhem is very high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9genbRiTN48

anilEhilated posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5, seriously. It's nominally a stealth game but there's incredible chaos potential when you "mess up" and the battle escalates.

MGS5 owns because you can say "gently caress stealth" and call in a helicopter to waste everybody while it blasts Take On Me (or you do god's work and import John Cena's theme).

At least, it'll waste everybody when the pilot decides to be smart instead of being like "This is Pequod; establishing hover above enemy anti-air cannons!"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
MGSV has a mini mech that can do Front Mission skate dashing, and once I got that it's all I used. Every mission, full frontal assault with a mech.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

cheers for the responses on my """""liminal"""" request everybody. i picked up a bunch of stuff and infra really looks like it'll fit the bill

gradenko_2000 posted:

can i get a recommendation for a game about trading?

like, you go into a port of call, buy goods, travel to another port, sell those goods for a profit, buy more goods, repeat

it can be either a space setting (as in Elite) or a historical setting (as in Merchant Prince)

what I'm looking for is that it has to be relatively contemporary in terms of UI/UX

this just makes me wish there was a modern version of gazillionaire

The General
Mar 4, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

this just makes me wish there was a modern version of gazillionaire

God yes please. Lavamind went weird directions, and for whatever reason the version they have on Steam isn't even the Deluxe version???

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm looking for a couple of tactical rpgs this sale and I have harvestella, triangle strategy, disgaea 7 and ogre tactics. Any clear standout among those or something good released recently?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
My wife bought our family a PS VR2. What are some must play games?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

I'm looking for a couple of tactical rpgs this sale and I have harvestella, triangle strategy, disgaea 7 and ogre tactics. Any clear standout among those or something good released recently?

tactics ogre is great

haven't played the others

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

Tactics Ogre and Triangle Strategy are great. Disgaea is for people with a particular brain disease that I don't share, which isn't to say it's bad.

I thought Harvestella was more of a farming sim with real time combat in dungeon areas rather than anything Strategy

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Eric the Mauve posted:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar

Warframe is a free to play with a few open world sections, anything you do provides a bit of progress. You can either start the game from one of the newer ones, or go through the star-map. Despite being advertised as 'ninjas in space' it has a lot of thematic variety. There is a goon alliance you can join if you look up the Warframe thread, and it makes it easier for people to offer items and form groups.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

harvestella is an action jrpg with farming, not tactics at all

tristrat is incredibly good and you should get it. tactics ogre reborn is also very very good

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll just get tactics ogre and triangle strategy. Tactics ogre has mixed recent reviews though, seems like it's people mad that they can't grind.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Recently got into the Atelier Ryza games and the new Ultrakill update and got two questions:

Are there any other games out there which have an insane (in both the complexity of the system and the shenanigans you can get up to with it) alchemy/crafting system and that then lets you throw your creations at local wildlife/people/villages? Not Morrowind/Skyrim please I've played those to death.

Are there any other action/roguelike/FPS games with large amounts of blood and destruction? Again but not Binding of Isacc or Hotline Miami.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pierson posted:

Recently got into the Atelier Ryza games and the new Ultrakill update and got two questions:

Are there any other games out there which have an insane (in both the complexity of the system and the shenanigans you can get up to with it) alchemy/crafting system and that then lets you throw your creations at local wildlife/people/villages? Not Morrowind/Skyrim please I've played those to death.

it's an extremely different kind of game but Noita, maybe

Pierson posted:

Are there any other action/roguelike/FPS games with large amounts of blood and destruction? Again but not Binding of Isacc or Hotline Miami.

Turbo Overkill
Katana Zero
Ape Out
Noita again

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Huh I have Noita and my understanding was that yeah there's a huge amount of wands and powders but they're all randomply-generated/-awarded? Will need to check it out again if it has crafting stuff because I did love the insane geometry-deformation and fluid-pixel thing it had going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just add the mod that automatically gives you the Tinker With Wands Everywhere perk and go to town, it's great.