Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Foo Diddley posted:

why can't OP take his two fries after his friend is done?

He doesn't want to look desperate by eating someone's garbage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling my mom not to visit my house again?

quote:

I (33F) live a long distance away from my hometown and parents. I don't have the greatest relationship with them. They were emotionally absent when I was growing up and were extemely judgemental when I told them I was in love with a woman (9 years ago). They eventually got over it but my relationship with them never really recovered.

Also, I have two kids (6M and 5F) with my wife (Laura - 35F). So it has been a while since I last saw my family of origin in person.

My mother (56F) called and asked to visit us for a few days before the holiday season. She said she really missed me and would love to see us all. So I happily accepted. However, we ran into quite a few problems while she was with us.

For one, she didn't knock on our kids' doors when she wanted to see them. (My wife and I always knock and wait for them to say come in. They also do that when they want to go into someone else's room. Which is why they were annoyed by my mom). I told her about this and she didn't pay much of an attention.

Second, I overheard mom asking our kids if they were treated differently at school, if they considered Laura or me as the fun mom, etc. I mostly brushed these off because they sounded quite innocent at the time.

Third, Laura has an office at home that she uses whenever she has an urgent matter to take care of. She is very attached to that space of hers and doesn't let anyone go in there except for me. Even our kids know better. I caught my mom coming out of that room a few times and warned her.

The last straw was when I came home early to take mom out for lunch and found her going through drawers in our bedroom. It is a very private space as you know and I could not comprehend the reason behind this. Also, there are a whole bunch of handwritten notes, personal belongings, etc that my mom has no business with.

So I got really mad and asked her what she was looking for. She didn't give me a coherent answer and said she was looking for a toy my daughter lost and she thought maybe she hid it here somewhere. For the rest of her visit (2 days) I didn't talk to her much. I asked Laura to make plans with the kids so my mom couldn't hang out with them much.

When she was leaving. I told my mom not to visit us again. I have gotten countless messages from my brother and father that mom came to my house with many hopes and I was a heartless monster for turning her down so easily. Am I an ah?

somehow i don't think mom actually "got over it", OP

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my husband he mishandled my daughter wetting the bed at 3am?

quote:

Long story short, my daughter (3yo) started crying in her room at 3am, which is highly unusual for her. She's usually a very good sleeper. I heard her but was breastfeeding my son so I couldn't get up, so I woke my husband up and asked him to go see what was going on. He came back a few minutes later with her in his arms and said she had an accident and was complaining her throat hurt. He laid her in bed next to me while he changed his clothes (he got pee on his) and then picked her up and went back to her room, where he stayed with her the rest of the night. At no point did he ask me what to do or tell me what he was going to do.

I got up this morning and went into her room to tell him it was time to get her up for daycare and he said something about how he slept in pee all night. I asked him what he meant and he told me he put her back into her pee-soaked bed because he didn't know what else to do. I told him there was another change of sheets under the wet sheets (I do this specifically so we can rip the top sheet and waterproof mattress cover off on the middle of the night and have a new set of sheets under it ready to go). He told me he forgot. I left it alone because he was already in a bad mood, but later today I told him that he really shouldn't have put her back into a bed soaked in pee. He got upset and told me he didn't know what to do and I didn't give him any direction. I told him I didn't realize he needed direction and that it seemed obvious that you wouldn't do that. It turned into a fight and now we're both upset with one another.

AITA for telling him that he shouldn't have put her back in bed like that? Is this actually an acceptable response to a kid peeing the bed?

Many, many years ago, I was taking a CPR class and I will never forget a couple that was in the same class with me; they looked almost like caricatures from a Jeff foxworthy redneck sketch, even down to the husband wearing a stained white sleeveless tank top. But they were in the CPR class because she was pregnant, and they wanted to get a head start they said, on anything that could go wrong and that they'd also signed up for parenting classes to which a few people in the class kind of rolled their eyes at.

But the more and more I think about it, that really should be something that is offered at community centers, or libraries, or anywhere for free. If being a parent was easy, there wouldn't be nearly the posts I find on Reddit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

Ah, so you're not the fun one

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Many, many years ago, I was taking a CPR class and I will never forget a couple that was in the same class with me; they looked almost like caricatures from a Jeff foxworthy redneck sketch, even down to the husband wearing a stained white sleeveless tank top. But they were in the CPR class because she was pregnant, and they wanted to get a head start they said, on anything that could go wrong and that they'd also signed up for parenting classes to which a few people in the class kind of rolled their eyes at.

But the more and more I think about it, that really should be something that is offered at community centers, or libraries, or anywhere for free. If being a parent was easy, there wouldn't be nearly the posts I find on Reddit.
No idea how effective such "parenting classes" actually are.

But I'd guess that couple ended up doing a fairly decent job, simply because they clearly give a poo poo about being the best parents they can be.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

MagusofStars posted:

No idea how effective such "parenting classes" actually are.

But I'd guess that couple ended up doing a fairly decent job, simply because they clearly give a poo poo about being the best parents they can be.

I mean, when my friend was pregnant she went to a pregnancy and birth and what to expect the first few months after birth class, and she said it was actually really detailed and very good. Obviously it depends on the material and the teacher, but I'm thinking that couple ended up doing pretty good too for the same reason.

AITA for giving my nephew a “cruel and unusual” punishment?

quote:

I (30F) live in the UK with my husband (30M), we have 2 kids, 10 y/o male twins. I was born in the US and my sister, Michelle (37F) still lives there, she has two sons as well, her sons are Truman (15M) and Riggs (11M)

Every other year, we switch locations for Christmas. Last year, Christmas was hosted at Michelle’s, this year it will be hosted at my place. Michelle and her family arrived on Saturday, so they’ve been here about a week.

When they got here, we gave Truman and Riggs some gifts, these were not Christmas gifts but a few things we picked up over the course of the year for them, they will be getting their Christmas gifts from us on Christmas.

Riggs got some jerseys for British Basketball League teams we found in a charity shop (it’s like a thrift store in the U.S.) and we also got tickets to see a game on Sunday. Basketball is a minor sport here, soccer/football is the big sport here. Neither of my sons play sports, no one else in the family does either, while Riggs' entire personality is sports, and we do try to understand him though. We got Truman some Star Wars, Pokemon and Dungeons and Dragon stuff.

On Sunday, while we were at the basketball game, we sat next to this Pakistani boy (13M), him and Riggs were really bonding, the main thing they talked about was basketball but they also asked about each others cultures. They followed each other on Instagram after this.

On Monday, Riggs and the boy were talking over Instagram DMs and said they wanted to meet up again, Riggs asked me if it was ok to invite the boy over, which I agreed to. The boy lives about 20 minutes away. The boy came over with some food he had his parents make, as Riggs had expressed interest in it.

This is when the issues with Truman stated, as I was getting ready to plate the food, Truman asked why there was “smelly food” in the dining room, I told him to stop but he just laughed. Riggs and the boy ate some of it and then went downstairs to watch some DVDs that this boy had gifted Riggs, these were Pakistani films. When Truman went downstairs to get something, he saw the film and started mocking the accents, this is when Riggs came up and was getting very emotional.

I told Truman to apologize and he refused. I went to talk to my husband to see what to do, and we came up with a plan. We told Truman that if he wanted to stay here and open his gifts, he would need to write a report on Pakistani culture, why his actions were offensive and how he can repair the harm he caused. We also told him he needed to write it on a typewriter we have, rather than on a modern computer and that he’d have to use physical books as a source.

Truman is complaining this is a “cruel and unusual punishment”, I know Michelle isn’t happy about this either, but is biting her tongue in front of me. We also overheard Truman talking to his friends on the phone that we were punishing him for “being a white boy”, we are also white though. AITA?

The typewriter is kind of funny honestly, but it also makes sure he can't just copy stuff from online.

It's so hard to be a white boy.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Shanghaied posted:

lmao I'm not sure how well her phone actually works. Even her phone case is beat to poo poo with multiple cracks and barely staying on. She's a lot younger than me though (I think some kids are into this anti-consumerism thing?), and we're both weirdo lefty academics who hadn't flown for years.

My last phone was a Google Nexus 6P, the battery was so terrible by the end that just listening to Spotify and browsing SA on my 30 min commute would drain half the battery. I had to upgrade because I was doing fieldwork and had to be away from a charger for more than an hour at a time.

I bought a Nexus 6P for my wife and I. There was a class action lawsuit and we got $150 per phone out of it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for giving my nephew a “cruel and unusual” punishment?

The typewriter is kind of funny honestly, but it also makes sure he can't just copy stuff from online.

It's so hard to be a white boy.

"they're punishing me for being racist white" is like page one of the disingenuous racist shitbag playbook; someone taught this kid well

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

limp_cheese posted:

While this is an rear end in a top hat move, he is even a bigger rear end in a top hat if the way he asks is "Can I borrow some fries?"

Sort of like my eighty year old neighbor that does the cop bang on my door at 2am to ask if she can borrow a cigarette.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

limp_cheese posted:

While this is an rear end in a top hat move, he is even a bigger rear end in a top hat if the way he asks is "Can I borrow some fries?"

Only if he doesn't actually return them when he's done

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Sort of like my eighty year old neighbor that does the cop bang on my door at 2am to ask if she can borrow a cigarette.

tell her you ain't got poo poo til you see a warrant

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

The Bramble posted:

Wife(28f) left me(28m) when I asked for DNA test. She wants to reconcile, but I have kinda moved on. Not sure how to proceed

Dumb gently caress chuds have been using 'cuck' the ultimate insult for years now, and now they are torching their relationships over it.

:lol:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There are two options for when there's pee:

1. Clean it up.

2. Sleep in it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Aw geez, honey, I thought you were supposed to let it mellow if it's yellow" :shrug:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

There are two options for when there's pee:

1. Clean it up.

2. Sleep in it.

Dr. Oz would argue you can also drink it.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

thepopmonster posted:

Technically speaking a 6/7/8 could probably still be working (it does have 4G/TLE) but it's probably an iPhone SE 2nd or 3rd gen, which have the iPhone 8 shell and 11 / 13 internals.

I’m reading the forums and posting this post from an iPhone 7 right now. It still works fine. Battery life isn’t great, but it does all the things and still gets OS updates. I did not realise my phone was an antique now. Probably because I am also an antique now.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

somehow i don't think mom actually "got over it", OP

lock the goddamn office

also mom is showing signs of dementia, better move her to an asylum

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My wife just upgraded from her iPhone 8 because they stopped supporting it with security patches.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean, when my friend was pregnant she went to a pregnancy and birth and what to expect the first few months after birth class, and she said it was actually really detailed and very good. Obviously it depends on the material and the teacher, but I'm thinking that couple ended up doing pretty good too for the same reason.

The local radio stations run an ad every summer for the BEEF OR BABY seminar at the local Catholic hospital. "Thinking about starting a family? You need to learn BEEF OR BABY!" "Asking the important questions: BEEF OR BABY!"

I was a little disappointed when they created a new ad that properly enunciated Before Baby.

I have no idea if the seminar is actually useful or not; I assume it's full of proselytizing rhetoric on account of being sponsored by the Catholic hospital.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The hospital sanctioned pregnancy prep class my wife and I attended was 85% bullshit. We're talking chakra alignment, visualization, crystals, and shaming the three couples (us included) who were planning to accept nitrous and an epidural.

The one day where they taught us how to hold a baby and use a car seat were helpful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

wheatpuppy posted:

The local radio stations run an ad every summer for the BEEF OR BABY seminar at the local Catholic hospital. "Thinking about starting a family? You need to learn BEEF OR BABY!" "Asking the important questions: BEEF OR BABY!"

I was a little disappointed when they created a new ad that properly enunciated Before Baby.

I have no idea if the seminar is actually useful or not; I assume it's full of proselytizing rhetoric on account of being sponsored by the Catholic hospital.

Aww, I was hoping it was "here's what a kid costs. Here's how many ribs you could buy instead."

Why don't they teach the beef method of birth control in schools?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Bruceski posted:

Why don't they teach the beef method of birth control in schools?

Eating 5 pounds of BBQ beef ribs does make fuckin’ difficult.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Most restaurants don't even serve baby. Makes it a pretty easy choice most of the time.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Lone Badger posted:

Most restaurants don't even serve baby. Makes it a pretty easy choice most of the time.

Eh, quite a few serve baby back ribs, you know.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

The Lone Badger posted:

They don’t? Well, I have a modest proposal…

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Lone Badger posted:

Chili’s found their niche and they’re sticking to it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uJhZZ9ee4k

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for sarcastically telling my sister punishing her daughter for going to a movie without her stepsister is sure to help their family?

quote:

My sister, Anna, has a daughter, Piper (16F). Anna is married to Gavin and has a stepdaughter Hazel (16F). Anna and Gavin have been together for 6 years and married for 4. Both girls live with Anna and Gavin full time due to Piper's dad being deceased and Hazel's mom being a deadbeat. Hazel sees Piper as her sister while Piper does not return the sentiment and really doesn't seem to like her very much. She's fine with her but doesn't like to hang out with her and always seems to see spending time with Hazel as a chore. This could be in part because ever since they moved in together Anna and Gavin have decided they will do certain things together every week and they do not get to say no to it. Hazel loves it but Piper hates it.

Both girls love The Hunger Games. Piper has read all the novels, including the newest one. Hazel is yet to read the latest novel. The girls also love the movies and so Anna and Gavin decided they would see the new movie together. Piper said she wanted to go with her friends but Anna told her she would go with her sister.

Piper went to see it with her friends anyway and Anna found out. She asked Piper why and Piper told her she wanted to go with her friends, she wanted to enjoy seeing the movie and not be stuck with a burden while watching it. Anna decided to ground Piper and told her she will learn to love and appreciate her sister or she will end up grounded a lot until she moves out.

Anna was annoyed that instead of being apologetic Piper just complied and has not shown any appreciation for Hazel since. She was telling me all this and I sarcastically told her that it's sure to help their family punishing Piper for going to the movie without Hazel, when she has been telling her for a while in different ways that she doesn't like Hazel. I also made a comment that forced proximity always makes relationships so much better. Anna told me I wasn't a parent of teens so I didn't get it and it was rude to sarcastically talk about her parenting.

AITA?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That was an absolute turd of a novel, Piper accidentally did her a favor by keeping her away from anything having to do with it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for sarcastically telling my sister punishing her daughter for going to a movie without her stepsister is sure to help their family?

So the parents here want to engineer a situation guaranteed to create resentment between the step-siblings. Wonderful. The groundings will continue until morale improves!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for letting my housemate eat expired food?

quote:

Hello! I'm a 30M living with a housemate who is 35M. He works weird hours and eats meals at different times every day. A few days ago he was starting work at 1PM and before he left, at around 11AM, he made himself some pork and rice and put the leftovers in containers which he left on the worktop. I noticed them there when I got my lunch, but figured he'd put them in the fridge before he left.

I came downstairs again for a break at about 4PM (I work from home) and noticed that he'd left all the containers out. I put them in the fridge and sent him a message saying "I just found your meals on the side and put them in the fridge. I think they've been sat out for about five hours. Not sure if they'll be safe to eat, up to you".

The next day I woke up to disturbing sounds coming from the bathroom. When I checked to see if he was okay, he said he's been throwing up all night. I asked if he ate the leftover pork and rice and he said he had, and he can't believe I let him eat it. I said I let him know about it, but didn't want to throw away his food without his permission, but he's been mad at me ever since.

AITA for not throwing his food away to make sure he didn't eat it?

*eats food out of the garbage can* I can't believe you didn't move it out to the dumpster so I couldn't do that!!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Lone Badger posted:

Most restaurants don't even serve baby.

Bloody vegans. Ruining things for normal people once again.

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Bloody vegans. Ruining things for normal people once again.

There are some really nice vegan babies on the market now though. You hardly taste a difference.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Breetai posted:

Hmm, you've used the word 'toaster' in the same sentence twice and the sentence was emphatically constructed. Looks like someone needs a toaster!

Obviously, the answer from rigorous engineer testing is "no fewer than 6."

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hazel sees Piper as her sister while Piper does not return the sentiment and really doesn't seem to like her very much. She's fine with her but doesn't like to hang out with her and always seems to see spending time with Hazel as a chore. This could be in part because ever since they moved in together Anna and Gavin have decided they will do certain things together every week and they do not get to say no to it. Hazel loves it but Piper hates it.
I'm guessing Hazel has very few friends. That would go a long way in explaining why the parents are so insistent on scheduling tons of sister hang-outs and also why Hazel hasn't decided to start spending her weekends with people who actually enjoy her company.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sounds like Piper is surrounded by people who want to make it hard for her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MagusofStars posted:

I'm guessing Hazel has very few friends. That would go a long way in explaining why the parents are so insistent on scheduling tons of sister hang-outs and also why Hazel hasn't decided to start spending her weekends with people who actually enjoy her company.

On top of the existing problems with trying to force sibling bonds, making a kid into another kid's social crutch never ends well for anybody.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

I have a Galaxy Z Fold because it's narrow enough to fit in my pockets but when I need to actually see something with my old and failing eyes I can open it up to a big double screen.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

Something is missing in the OP, the one daughter says Hazel is a burden. Are they implying she is socially awkward or neurodivergent? She doesn't seem to have anyone but Piper in her circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

the holy poopacy posted:

My wife just upgraded from her iPhone 8 because they stopped supporting it with security patches.

uhhh, that's incorrect; iphone 8 can run iOS 16 and that OS got an update just on the 19th

iOS 15 is even still getting security updates