Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wish there was somehow a way to combine Berserker with the chimpanzee sign. Chimpanzee sign is actually pretty decent. Blind is a great debuff. But it sucks to have to use an action to do it. I took that and Eagle on Karlach this run. Eagle I haven't used as much as I'd like. The diving attack is a lot of fun when you can get it off but it's tricky to enable it sometimes.

Also anyone get like 70 hours into a run and then get huge bouts of restartitis. I really need to just finish this honour run since it's going well and I'm far into it but my mind is like what if you tried this this or this though. That'd be fun :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Ginette Reno posted:

Also anyone get like 70 hours into a run and then get huge bouts of restartitis. I really need to just finish this honour run since it's going well and I'm far into it but my mind is like what if you tried this this or this though. That'd be fun :v:.

I’ve gotten better about this, but my first few weeks with the game were nothing but restarts when I was 50+ hours in. I still fight it a bit with … a lot of total hours played.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Buddy I've been restarting this whole time. It's a real problem!! I got like 100 hours and haven't seen the end of act 1

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Eagle was highly situational but it was pretty amazing for the guild/zhentarim fight in act 3

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jay Rust posted:

What is the "best" wild heart barb animal?

I am a fan of Tiger for the cleave+bleeding attack, then you can get the aspect that gives +prof to attack bleeding enemies so you can use great weapon master without a real malus. The mobility from jumping extra far is nice.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
If you put the boots of stormy clamour on a wolf barbarian, the rage aura triggers the reverberation on enemies. I really like the idea that my guy gets so angry the ground shakes around him.

e: Before someone asks, no, you can't move back and forth to trigger it multiple times a turn. That would be hilariously busted.

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 22, 2023

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Jay Rust posted:

What is the "best" wild heart barb animal?

If you get to your first Wildheart pick and you don't have a specific setup in mind, you should always pick Bear.

e: To be clear, all the options here are decent when it comes to building out a Wildheart Barbarian, but Bear is a generic always-on bonus that makes Barbarian comically hard to kill so unless you can think of a good reason not to, you should just pick Bear.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 22, 2023

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Dragonwagon posted:

e: Before someone asks, no, you can't move back and forth to trigger it multiple times a turn. That would be hilariously busted.

Owlcat would let me do this :colbert:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
At low levels, Wolf heart is also really good because Advantage is especially important then.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

tarbrush posted:

Mildly annoyed in act 2 the harpers promised to mark Last Light on my map but didn't, so I ended up going to the tower first. Did all the quests in there, seemed to make sense, released Nightsong, but then got forced into the climactic boss fights. Upside, saved Isobel without realising it, downside is the Lift the Curse quest NPC just vanishes, as does the Infernal Heart guy, so I lost Halsin and maybe the second stage of fixing Karlach

Don't some harpers have you literally follow them to Last Light almost as soon as you enter act 2?

I've seen multiple people in this thread say they missed finding Last Light in act 2 and that just seems :psyduck: to me, like missing the Grove in Act 1. Just... how?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Entropic posted:

Don't some harpers have you literally follow them to Last Light almost as soon as you enter act 2?

I've seen multiple people in this thread say they missed finding Last Light in act 2 and that just seems :psyduck: to me, like missing the Grove in Act 1. Just... how?

I mean you have to help them kill the baddies first and that can potentially go south. If you follow the drider and co they will march you straight to moonrise after murdering the harpers

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I miss the fun stories in the magic item descriptions from bg1 and 2… The ones here read like they’re from diablo 3

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean you have to help them kill the baddies first and that can potentially go south. If you follow the drider and co they will march you straight to moonrise after murdering the harpers

I kinda wonder what happened with this event sequence in our playthrough. We came from the mountain pass, ran into a goblin, went to that little ruined village spot, hid from the spider dude, followed them, and attacked without initiating dialogue. But when we got to the Last Light Inn they talked about losing a guy in an ambush. I dunno if it's just assumed there was another ambush or if we ran into a bug or what.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

BG3 is a whopping 10% off for the Steam Sale.

Meanwhile Starfield is 30% off and Diablo 4 is 40% off.

Clearly they don't need the sales bump.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Geekboy posted:

BG3 is a whopping 10% off for the Steam Sale.

Meanwhile Starfield is 30% off and Diablo 4 is 40% off.

Clearly they don't need the sales bump.

I mean, BG3 is currently the best-selling game on Steam.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I am on the edge of resuming my first playthrough after falling off since around the time it was released; Still farting about in Act 1. There is something I am wondering about though.

Back when you could not manage inventories without having to switch party members, I had to kick out Shadowheart in order to do some management for another character. However, her artefact/macguffin appeared in my custom character's inventory, and I was never able to pass it back to her, even now several patches later. Is this an actual issue or just some weirdness? I figure it probably just the latter but I may as well ask.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

So I am on the edge of resuming my first playthrough after falling off since around the time it was released; Still farting about in Act 1. There is something I am wondering about though.

Back when you could not manage inventories without having to switch party members, I had to kick out Shadowheart in order to do some management for another character. However, her artefact/macguffin appeared in my custom character's inventory, and I was never able to pass it back to her, even now several patches later. Is this an actual issue or just some weirdness? I figure it probably just the latter but I may as well ask.

It's fine. She doesn't need to have it and in fact it hops itself in your inventory at various points in the game. It's a plot-critical macguffin so it will be in your PC's inventory if Shadowheart isn't in your party.

nbd

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Working as intended. It’s with you for a reason and she’ll talk to you about it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
vague Act 1 spoilers regarding the artefact, in case you forgot: when you enter the goblin camp it's revealed that the artefact protects you from the influence of the Absolute.. as a result, it hops into your PC's inventory if Shadowheart isn't along, because it's plot-critical.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Phlegmish posted:

I mean, BG3 is currently the best-selling game on Steam.
Yeah, I was ready for no discount.

I bought a Steam Deck over the summer during that sale in the first month of TOTK so I'm just getting into BG3 now.

Spending 30 minutes customizing my monk, I had like 30 more minutes of actual game time before I had only 10% battery left.

The customizing made me certain that I missed an important segment of this thread way back when. For the record, my selection was "Penis C".

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Entropic posted:

I sided with the harpers and killed the drider. They then hosed off and said "we'll mark your map" and didn't.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh man.. just finished the game

Act 3 was a little bit of a slog at times, and also it was a bit buggy (Shadowheart end quest spoilers): Shadowheart just always gave me every relationship dialogue option, including saying that we had a romance and never pursued it despite her being the only active romance and definitely very much going. The epilogue sorta bugged out a little as well and after speaking to Shadowheart the first time, I went back to tell her we were adopting the owlbear and she swapped over to her parents being alive and her still being cursed by Shar which was weird?

Despite that though, man what an incredible game. Easily my GOTY! Gonna pick up an evil run a few months from now/play it coop with my wife at some point

Edit: Also, (epilogue spoiler) who the heck is bing bong, the imp we apparently met in our married life post the end of the game? I feel like that's probably a reference to something that I just don't know?

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 23, 2023

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

vague Act 1 spoilers regarding the artefact, in case you forgot: when you enter the goblin camp it's revealed that the artefact protects you from the influence of the Absolute.. as a result, it hops into your PC's inventory if Shadowheart isn't along, because it's plot-critical.

It does that even if she’s in the party, or at least it did for me

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It does that even if she’s in the party, or at least it did for me

Yup once you see that scene or kill Shadowheart it is in your possession from that point on.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Act 3 was a little bit of a slog at times, and also it was a bit buggy (Shadowheart end quest spoilers): Shadowheart just always gave me every relationship dialogue option, including saying that we had a romance and never pursued it despite her being the only active romance and definitely very much going. The epilogue sorta bugged out a little as well and after speaking to Shadowheart the first time, I went back to tell her we were adopting the owlbear and she swapped over to her parents being alive and her still being cursed by Shar which was weird?

Despite that though, man what an incredible game. Easily my GOTY! Gonna pick up an evil run a few months from now/play it coop with my wife at some point

Edit: Also, (epilogue spoiler) who the heck is bing bong, the imp we apparently met in our married life post the end of the game? I feel like that's probably a reference to something that I just don't know?

Bing bong is from the podcast table top season the cast did a few months after the initial release

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Shard posted:

Bing bong is from the podcast table top season the cast did a few months after the initial release

oh ok, that'd explain why I hadn't heard of them at all. I wasn't sure if it was a plot flag trigger that bugged out or something

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How come I instantly get booted from multiplayer games I try to join?

I'm only lvl 2 I think.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah, I think if some flags bug out with a given character then a lot of weird stuff comes up. Wyll became such a mess during act 3 that he was addressing me as if I was Lae'zel (I was Tav) during the epilogue, but everyone else was fine.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I think if some flags bug out with a given character then a lot of weird stuff comes up. Wyll became such a mess during act 3 that he was addressing me as if I was Lae'zel (I was Tav) during the epilogue, but everyone else was fine.

PTSD

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
"romancing" lae'zel is pretty amazing

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just got into Act 2 and met the goblin in the shadow-cursed lands.

If I wanted to get Minithara from Moonrise Towers as quickly as possible, what's the best and/or quickest way to do it without losing Isabel/getting Last Light massacred?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
aw poo poo you made me realize I think I missed being able to recruit Minthara on my Honour run. I knocked her unconscious but she didn't show up when I went to Moonrise.

I don't think you need to talk with Isobel before you go to Moonrise? Unless you need the blessing to protect from the shadow curse.

Just proceed directly to the front gates of Moonrise and tell them you're a True Soul and you love the Absolute.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pellisworth posted:

aw poo poo you made me realize I think I missed being able to recruit Minthara on my Honour run. I knocked her unconscious but she didn't show up when I went to Moonrise.

I haven’t done it yet, but you gotta go about it in a very specific way. Knock her out when she’s temporarily hostile, if you’ve pissed the goblins off to the point they start attacking you on sight it’s too late. Then from what I’ve read once you knock her out, you gotta take out the other goblin leaders and go back to the grove to turn in the quest without long resting.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m have an honour mode run where I made her temp hostile twice and knocked her out both times. I haven’t made it to moonrise yet but will report back.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I haven’t done it yet, but you gotta go about it in a very specific way. Knock her out when she’s temporarily hostile, if you’ve pissed the goblins off to the point they start attacking you on sight it’s too late. Then from what I’ve read once you knock her out, you gotta take out the other goblin leaders and go back to the grove to turn in the quest without long resting.

I definitely knocked her out but I forget if I went and turned in the quest appropriately.

I just got to Moonrise Towers and the cutscene had me choosing what to do with the goblins that failed their mission. My understanding is the cutscene is instead about Minthara failing her mission if you set things up correctly.

it's not a big deal to me honestly I just figured I'd see if I could recruit Minthara this time around. I'll try more closely in a bit to see if she's there or not

edit: I believe I killed Gut first, then knocked out Minthara, then killed Ragzlin. I definitely killed Gut first. Dunno if that matters.

It's all very finicky.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Yeah I think you’re still not ‘meant’ to have her so Larian didn’t provide for all the contingencies, they just eliminated the sheep nonsense.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
A funny side effect of knocking her out is that if you massacre the rest of the camp, you will still have the enemy of justice status as long as she remains alive throughout the rest of act 1.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

A funny side effect of knocking her out is that if you massacre the rest of the camp, you will still have the enemy of justice status as long as she remains alive throughout the rest of act 1.

What is ‘enemy of justice’? And what effect does it have?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Lord Bude posted:

What is ‘enemy of justice’? And what effect does it have?

It's when you've killed a non-hostile guard. If you go back remaining guards will attack you on sight until you've done your time or killed all the witnesses. Minthara is technically a witness while she is knocked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Just got into Act 2 and met the goblin in the shadow-cursed lands.

If I wanted to get Minithara from Moonrise Towers as quickly as possible, what's the best and/or quickest way to do it without losing Isabel/getting Last Light massacred?

the shadow curse around the tower will really eat you up so you should get the blessing of selune first.