Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I think you've basically got it? Nine locations and a 3x3 grid of 3x3 grids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain Spoon posted:

I did the exact same thing here on my recent TTP1 playthrough. I looked up the intended solution afterwards and it definitely didn't require this precise angle.

Yeah, nothing in the game requires solutions like that. I remain convinced that TTP1's reputation of being finnicky and requiring too much precision comes from people not finding the intended solution to some puzzles. I think this is still the game's fault though. I've seen people praise the game's openness and the ability to break many puzzles, but I also think it's one of its biggest downsides. People accidentally find broken solutions and then assume that's the way you were meant to solve the puzzles to begin with. TTP2 is more rigid in comparison, though you can still break quite a few puzzles if you try hard enough.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Llamadeus posted:

I think you've basically got it? Nine locations and a 3x3 grid of 3x3 grids

Oh mother fucker

Thanks!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My wife and I just played through Chants of Sennaar. It's spectacular. If Talos 2 hadn't come out this year, it might be my game of the year.

It's all about learning and translating the basics of five hieroglyph-based languages -- from each other, and to English. It has a good difficulty curve from simpler to more complex languages, and you gradually go from learning them to applying them in unexpected ways.

The art design and music are excellent too. The developers did a great job conveying the feel of a completely foreign world and societal structure.

I'll note that there are a few light stealth elements at a couple of points in the game, but they're pretty easy and they're short enough that it doesn't break up the flow of the puzzling too much.

Definitely give it a try if you're into (abstract) language-style puzzles.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 30, 2023

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
TP2 needs a fast-forward button like the first.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Apparently some guy from the AV-Club really liked The Roottrees are Dead.
I really enjoyed it too and I hope it gives Superrodan some more publicity.

WhiteHowler posted:

My wife and I just played through Chants of Sennaar. It's spectacular. If Talos 2 hadn't come out this year, it might be my game of the year.

Yeah, that game was cool too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

nice

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah my view numbers jumped up pretty significantly today. The two biggest jumps I've had were from the Thinky Games people adding me to their newsletter and now from this.

Also, I just started Talos 2 a few days ago and boy is it neat. I've been playing for multiple hours and still feel as though I've barely scratched the surface both of the story and the puzzle count and that's exciting. I think I spent two hours on the game before it even really "started" and man, I'm just so hyped and I want to talk about how great it is but since I have no idea what's next and am deathly afraid of spoilers I refused to read what anyone else has written. Anyways, that's all.

I also just beat Firmament last week. (Now that Roottrees is released I've been catching up on my puzzle game queue) I kickstarted it, but was busy and then the reviews were very meh so I was pretty worried about it. However I enjoyed it quite a lot. It was kind of like one of those situations where I understand why people didn't like it, but it felt like it was made just for me. I would gladly pay for it again in a heartbeat.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I fully finished up the White ending to Taiji today, which was surprisingly not as hard as I was expecting. The one thing I didn't fully understand at first was the Graveyard puzzles--I had somehow managed to blindly guess my way through and solved a lot of those puzzles based on vibes rather than actually understanding the mechanic fully. I had to look up part of the logic behind it, and it involved a well-known set of programming logic-related stuff that's a huge blind spot for me. Happy to have played it and beat it. I wish there was a way to know whether I solved all 100% of the puzzles, though. Best I can say is that I opened every shortcut, and did all of the puzzles including the bonus ones hidden behind the waterfall

In other news, The Witness has somehow managed to reinstall itself on my computer :sludgepal:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

bawk posted:

Happy to have played it and beat it. I wish there was a way to know whether I solved all 100% of the puzzles, though. Best I can say is that I opened every shortcut, and did all of the puzzles including the bonus ones hidden behind the waterfall
There is a low tech way to know, and that's just comparing the number of puzzles solved listed in the save file to the total (445)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Llamadeus posted:

There is a low tech way to know, and that's just comparing the number of puzzles solved listed in the save file to the total (445)

Does this include the final two "puzzles" the game uses for the endings? Or do I add those two "puzzles" to the total?

Because if the save file will literally put the above number on the save file, I'm missing two. :freakout:

e: nevermind, I found them

bawk fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 2, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So I've gotten probably about 70% of the way through the Witness a couple of times, and I know about the main "holy poo poo" puzzle mechanic involving the lines in the environment so I booted up for my third playthrough, grabbed the first one that you can get from the entrance tunnel, where you turn around and line up the dot/line and started solving the opening mechanics as usual. While I was getting the second puzzle solved out of the 3 you need to solve to unlatch the panel on the tutorial area's door, I noticed for the very first time that the Sun was the same color as the bright white lights/pillar next to the door. So I lined the Sun up with the top of the pillar by the door, traced the line, unsure if I've ever found this one before.

:stare:

I've definitely never done this part! The door turns into a portal? I'm in some kind of swanky hotel overlooking the island???

e: huh, this must be a dev room. Just got an audio clip that's credits for the game

e2: every good puzzle game should have a random piss jug, thanks jonathon blow

bawk fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 2, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

near the actual end of the game they give you a code which closes that gate at the start, allowing you to discover the dev room since you'll probably notice the secret at that point

but there's nothing technically stopping you from doing it early

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

repiv posted:

near the actual end of the game they give you a code which closes that gate at the start, allowing you to discover the dev room since you'll probably notice the secret at that point

but there's nothing technically stopping you from doing it early

It actually ended up being handy, because one of the puzzles that I remember being boring/a pain to get involved riding the boat from one port of the island to another, and grabbing the environmental puzzle during the trip

I was able to stand on the balcony and solve that one from a bird's eye view :c00l:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

bawk posted:

It actually ended up being handy, because one of the puzzles that I remember being boring/a pain to get involved riding the boat from one port of the island to another, and grabbing the environmental puzzle during the trip

I was able to stand on the balcony and solve that one from a bird's eye view :c00l:

there are actually several of those that require the boat. It's pretty much the entire point of the boat, because it sure as hell isn't fast travel. Also im not sure the game saves at all once you are in the secret credits hotel so you may have to do it the intended way anyway if you want to 100% the game, idk.

bawk posted:

e2: every good puzzle game should have a random piss jug, thanks jonathon blow

i love the ending for The Looker where he just picks up one of the piss jars and takes a sip

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

there are actually several of those that require the boat. It's pretty much the entire point of the boat, because it sure as hell isn't fast travel.

Yeah, and as soon as I got out of the tutorial area I found that exact same one is actually super easy to do from a vantage point on a short hill pointing in that direction. I don't remember if it had the glowies already, but it sure as poo poo didn't require the boat for that one :doh:

e: I remember now why I've only made it 70% of the way through the Witness. I've completed almost all major areas besides the town, the shrine, and the woods with the audio puzzles, and the complete lack of music or ambience is like a weight that steadily gets heavier over time. I've got my headphones cranked as high as they can go, trying to soak in any kind of atmosphere outside of the visuals, and the only audio that elicited any kind of reaction from me in the first 2 hours today was the jingle my dryer plays when it's time to change my laundry. So naturally, I put on a video or something to pass the time while playing, and after finishing the 4 hour long HBomberguy video from today, I ended up putting on a Polygon video afterward that looked interesting. Now instead of trying to find something to listen to while playing The Witness, I'm playing Moonglow Bay.

The Witness absolutely walked so Taiji could run. I feel confident that I can skip the rest of the game, I already got my white whale (successfully solved the shipwreck puzzle from scratch without looking up hints again) and don't feel like letting more of my time go to waste, and if I get this feeling 3 more years from now I'll just replay Taiji instead.

bawk fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 4, 2023

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Speaking of the new hbomberguy video, at the very end he slips in that he posted a 90 minute video about Myst on his Patreon and welp, now I guess I've subscribe to someone's Patreon.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Roottree was very good, I played it obsessively for a few days. The only thing I needed to look for outside assistance for was Eli C's profession - I had read Jim's article several times but for some reason never picked up on the part where he alluded to his dad also doing advertising. Also there were several birth orders/photos I did purely based on vibes and likely missed some actual logic I could've used for them.

The final puzzle was a bit less than I was expecting. I thought it would require you to synthesize information from multiple sources, but it seemed like a fairly logical inference to make just from reading Lauren's famous diary (she pretty much states that E.C. is gay at one point). Still neat though and there were some interesting family dynamics you could sense going on underneath the headlines and articles.

e: admittedly my initial thought was that Lauren's father was somehow living a secret gay double life and that's why none of his kids were allowed to go to the farm

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 9, 2023

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Will Hughes, the author of that piece, is also goon-adjacent (or a goon himself?); part of the excellent https://duckfeed.tv/ podcast network which was started by Kole and Gary who met on these boards. Highly recommend checking out their work if you're not familiar!

Back on topic: been playing some Bombe the design-minesweeper-rules game, and I really dig it. The UI/UX is pretty bad to be honest, but the actual gamedesign is great. 'easy' levels still feel good because you're not just solving the puzzle at hand, but you're also expanding the scope of the solutions your automations can tackle.

I do wish it was easier to abstract out general rules from the mess of specific ones you end up with. It's similar to refactoring when coding, but you're doing it in a horrid interface. If they manage to fix this aspect this game is a zachtronics-level puzzler for me. Now I'd rate it a bit lower because of this friction.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Superrodan posted:

Yeah my view numbers jumped up pretty significantly today. The two biggest jumps I've had were from the Thinky Games people adding me to their newsletter and now from this.

Man, he really really liked it!

Getting number 5 on that stacked list is a mayor achievement. I'm looking forward to future works of your Superrodan.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Do a Kickstarter for the non-AI art version and sell it.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, it was pretty nuts to see that.

With regards to "replacing the art and doing a kickstarter" I'm currently figuring out what my next steps are. It probably won't be exactly that, but I am thinking about the future.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I need some hints in The Roottrees are Dead on where the hell are the breadcrumbs for Robert Roottree's profession. I've got everything else except for Edward Roottree's photo (it's going to be the one that's not Eli's) and profession.

Edit: I figured out the small things I had overlooked (and a rabbit hole I had actually discovered in my first short aborted play-through). And now the family tree is complete! Fantastic Obra Dinn-like!

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 22, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Just going to quote my post from another thread. This is about Outer Wilds:

mycot posted:

Several months ago I promised my brother I would beat Outer Wilds. He's coming over for Christmas and you can see, the deadline for this is rapidly approaching. I still really don't want to look up the ending, but the problem is that I'm at a four way impasse. Spoilering everything just to be nice:

1.The Quantum Moon. I know all the quantum entanglement rules and what to do but I can't figure it out.
2.Dark Bramble. The hint is that the anglerfish are blind but they can still catch me!
3.Entering the center of Ash Twin. I actually did this on accident once but haven't been able to repeat it, even when camping on the teleporter for a full cycle.
4.The Sun System. The teleport pad to this is blocked off by a seemingly impassable cacti but apparently this is just a platforming puzzle? I can't get through it regardless.

My general understanding of the plot: Long before the evolution of sapient life in the solar system a mothership of aliens called the Nomai crashed in pursuit of The Eye. Their escape pods are evident from ruins of their settlements on various planets in the solar system. When the Nomai populations reunited they resumed searching for The Eye, but concluded that it could only be found through a probe fired from a satellite canon. It was warned that too much power directed to the cannon could cause it to break but this was disregarded. Meanwhile, the Nomai got to work on something called the Ash Twin Project. The Ash Twin Project had something to do with the statues that preserve your memories. The Sun Station was proposed as a way to fuel the Ash Twin Project, which was controversial but eventually went through. Before any of this could come to fruition a comet carrying massive amounts of compressed death energy entered the solar system and explodes, instantly killing all life and abruptly putting an end to all their plans.

I would appreciate hints and nudges that are thoughtful and aren't too spoilery or direct, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

mycot posted:

Just going to quote my post from another thread. This is about Outer Wilds:
Number 2: When you go through the bramble into the "zone" where the anglerfish are, it's hard to tell because of the fog, but your ship gets spit out already moving at a pretty decent speed. Use that in combination with the knowledge you have.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
1. Hard to nudge without knowing more about what you do and don't know.

2. The anglerfish are blind, so how are they finding you? How could you avoid that?

3a. The most important hints for this are located in the Black Hole Forge. Go check around there again.
3b. The scout can be handy for testing things.
3c. Specifically, leave the scout on the teleport pad and see what happens.

4. No precision platforming is required here or anywhere else in the game. Reflect on how you've accessed other places on the Twins. More specifically, go to the High Energy Lab again and see if that gives you any ideas.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Incidentally, here is the Outer Wilds thread.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
superrodan, another mention:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/18ovbkf/obscure_indie_recommendations_for_the_steam/

quote:

The Roottrees are Dead is an incredible detective game that mashes up Obra Dinn-style people classification with a Her Story-styled search engine. Absolutely loved this game, it has some of the best puzzles I've ever seen in this genre.

Discendo Vox posted:

I think your posting here is fine mycot but if you wanna cast your net wider, the puzzle thread is thisaway.

I look forward to seeing what thread they'll ping-pong mycot to from there

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Quantum moon, some prompting questions to get you thinking, in ascending order of hintfulness:
Have you landed on the quantum moon? If not:
1. What is happening when you try to land on it?
2. When you were learning the rules, how did you prevent that from happening?
(If your answer to that is “but I can’t do that here”, your ship also has one, look at the UI for the controls in the corner while you’re piloting the ship.)

If you landed on the moon but now don’t know what to do:
1. What do the rules imply is the goal of visiting the quantum moon? Why did the nomai come here?
2. Where do you need to go to do that?
3. Have you landed on the quantum moon more than once? Why does the moon look like it does?
4. What is on the moon with you? What does it do? How can you use that?
5. (Tells you which rule to use) On Ember twin, how did the rule of Quantum Entanglement work? How could you recreate those conditions?
6. (This one is more explicit, so only read this one if you absolutely don’t get it) What if you couldn’t reach the North Pole all at once? Is there some way to gradually work your way north?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The biggest increase besides AVClub was definitely from a site I had never heard of until recently called bontegames. It's actually the highest referrer besides people googling the name of the game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Superrodan posted:

The biggest increase besides AVClub was definitely from a site I had never heard of until recently called bontegames. It's actually the highest referrer besides people googling the name of the game.

Oh, he has a site, who knew. I've just played a few of his games, he makes these neat little minimalist puzzle games.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Superrodan posted:

big jayisgames vibes if they never sold out and never had a review longer than a sentence. The blog roll goes back to 2007.

*sniff* web games never died

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

fez_machine posted:

big jayisgames vibes if they never sold out and never had a review longer than a sentence. The blog roll goes back to 2007.

*sniff* web games never died

The old internet is alive (hell, we're on a forum and people still use Usenet for more than just :filez:). It's just increasingly harder to find.
I'm thankful places like Blues News keep on truckin'.

On topic: I really need to play Roottrees, but I prefer to play puzzle games on the TV with my partner. We just beat Chants of Senaar (solid but overhyped) last night.
Can the Steam Deck browser handle running Roottrees?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

malnourish posted:

The old internet is alive (hell, we're on a forum and people still use Usenet for more than just :filez:). It's just increasingly harder to find.
I'm thankful places like Blues News keep on truckin'.

On topic: I really need to play Roottrees, but I prefer to play puzzle games on the TV with my partner. We just beat Chants of Senaar (solid but overhyped) last night.
Can the Steam Deck browser handle running Roottrees?

I'm honestly not sure. It could have a problem saving. Most of my save problems come from weird browsers or add ons I've never heard of. If the steam deck can unzip a folder and run an exe I can get you that instead if you'd like. It's not controller compatible though, you'll need to use mouse and keyboard. There's a lot of typing so I don't recommend you use the software keyboard either.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 23, 2023

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
I'll just use a trusty keyboard, mouse, and remote desktop then. Thanks for the offer!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

malnourish posted:

I'll just use a trusty keyboard, mouse, and remote desktop then. Thanks for the offer!

Make sure it saves. It works for 98% of people I'd say.

The best way to check is to watch the opening cutscene until you get to the title screen with the newspaper. Then, save and quit using the settings menu in the upper left. Refresh the browser tab, and if there is a "skip" button on the cutscene you know saving is working and shouldn't have a problem.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

To the goon dev of Stuffo The Puzzle Bot (your nick escapes me); In case you weren't aware, your game was chosen as one of the best of the year by Yle. Congrats! :toot:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Well-earned, too- I bounced off the design and name a bit at first but it's an incredibly tightly made game and the music, of course, slaps.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

To the goon dev of Stuffo The Puzzle Bot (your nick escapes me); In case you weren't aware, your game was chosen as one of the best of the year by Yle. Congrats! :toot:

I don't know if they lurk in here so much so I threw it in their discord as well. But this is awesome! I can also highly recommend this game and dang does the soundtrack rock. Every time this track came on I rocked out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtnBsTT_afA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Started and finished Roottrees today. It was very good! It took a while, I got stuck a few times. But I finally understand the secret of Time Cube.