Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Thank God for that l.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Hippocrass posted:

Thank God for that l.

Yeah, what kind of name is Emie?

Also, found a 1 y/o named Jupiter.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marcade posted:

Fantastic name to have if you're going to run a detective agency out of a junkyard.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Phy posted:

Fantastic name to have if you're going to run a detective agency out of a junkyard.

:dafuq:

The Three Investigators are called the Three Question Marks in German.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
A brother and sister called Donrick and Rickelle. Guess dad's name is Rick.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Marcade posted:

Yeah, what kind of name is Emie?

I wouldn’t think a middling but fun mid-10s Wachowski movie would be that inspiring, but I guess it takes all kinds

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AweStriker posted:

I wouldn’t think a middling but fun mid-10s Wachowski movie would be that inspiring, but I guess it takes all kinds

Might have really enjoyed Nope...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Further sources inform me that this dude's name was actually Emile Fluckiger, with a G. Which is... better, I guess? Maybe?

But still...

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
today i drove past a billboard saying they were looking for a homicide suspect named Leethel White

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Further sources inform me that this dude's name was actually Emile Fluckiger, with a G. Which is... better, I guess? Maybe?

But still...

Married to Mrs. Kummer

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sitting in the medical centre reception looking at the board to see when they want me for blood tests and there's Dawn Safari and Gordon Success-Brooks ahead of me. I wish them many more dawn safaris and much success.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Married to Mrs. Kummer

Sweet like lemonade
Hot like summer
Fluckiter and Fluckiger
Till she be Kummer

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

prayer group posted:

today i drove past a billboard saying they were looking for a homicide suspect named Leethel White

I looked up the mugshot and I don't know if him being black makes it more funny or less funny.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Nameless Pete posted:

I looked up the mugshot and I don't know if him being black makes it more funny or less funny.

lol i wasn't sure either!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://www.tumblr.com/yeoldenews/737797128684011520/for-all-my-fellow-name-nerds-out-there-i-am-very

quote:

For all my fellow name nerds out there, I am very pleased to present the second annual "Gloyd Roberson Memorial List of Actual Human Children Who Wrote Letters to Santa in 1920s/30s Oklahoma".

These aren’t all necessarily “weirder than Gloyd” but fall into three rough categories which I’ve dubbed: “that’s got a nice ring to it”, “if I used this in a novel it would be considered too unrealistic” and “you’ve got 5 seconds to name a character that lives in 1920s Oklahoma, GO!”:

Selvyn Atteberry
Dyer Banfield
Bert Baxter
Hilda Bender
Imogene Berry
Heloise Blakely
Burl Boyer
Clyda Pearl Boyington
Okal Brooks
Vada Jo Bricker
Deverett Brumley
Lee Roy Buck
Vivian May Burdue
Donnie Buster
Elmarie Button
Junior Buzzard
Melchor Caldex
Tycene Calhoun
Tiny Bell Callison
Dapalene Caywood
Edney Clopton
Buster Combs
Georgia Countryman
Vantruba Crockett
Alto Day
Buddie DeWayne
Violet Divine
Elwanda Downing
Cletys Durham
Thurlo Epps
Apple Fields
Floyd Fleetwood
Metherine Franklin
Ula Fay French
Wanda Jo Fronterhouse
Irline Fuller
Jack Gritzmaker
J. D. Grizzle
Billie Jean Gulley
Joline Hardcastle
Kaloolah Herrill
Thelias Hatfield
Elva Heavins
Coleman Hewlett
Helen Hillhouse
Virgil Holderby
Katymae Houston
Myree Huffstutlar
Estelline Hurrypack
Blondie Huhm
Lila Lou Jackson
Denver Jones
Vernell Lambert
Sonny Boy Lockart
Dinkey Long (autocorrect really wanted this to be Donkey Kong)
Bamma Lynn
Rep Madden
Standford Mann
Jack Mattingly
Goldia McGee
Madge Messinger
Mauzell Mullins
Jeffie Wayne Muskrat
Archibald Neighbors
Hazel Nickerson
Eulah Oakley
Lyle Oyler
Milburn Partain
Jackson Payne
Montana Phillips
Bobbie Dean Phoenix
Toots Putman
Madonna Mae Rickey
Cyprine Robertson
Juanelle Schneeberger
Billie Jean Sparks
Texanna Smith
Pansy Stetson
Patsy Ruth Stubblefield
Eldon Sweezy
Hoy Trotter
Pearl Vandorien
Leland Weems
Joe Bob West
Wayness Whitely
Buster Wyatt
John Ira Youngblood
Domby Zinn

My officemate (who is originally from Oklahoma) is about to have a baby named Elsie Mae, which would fit right into this list.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
but is it an elsie mae muskrat

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"What's your surname?"
"Sir name?"
"It's often your family's business. What's your family trade?"
"Muskrat."
"Oh. For what?"
"Other stuff, natchurally."

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Mods please change my username to Toots Putman.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
we place our faith in Myree Hufstutlar

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I can't loving breathe

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

venus de lmao posted:

I can't loving breathe

...didn't see that name on the list...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Eldon Sweezy was author of several articles about commerce and public policy.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
that reads like an extended version of american names as imagined by the japanese baseball roster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oymWAeqv_-c

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I thought for sure that MLB: The Show was making up the name "Mookie Betts" when I first encountered it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Will Clapp

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Standford Mann sounds like a guy who was born 45 years old and balding. Come out the womb with lumbago rear end name.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
For the record I lived in Oklahoma and those are some Oklahoma as gently caress names.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
A lot of them sound like the names of kids I went to Rudolph Steiner school with in the '90s. The centre of the Oklahoma vs Hippy venn diagram.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Found the baseball team!

quote:

Selvyn Atteberry
Lee Roy Buck
Junior Buzzard
Thurlo Epps
Denver Jones
Jack Mattingly
Montana Phillips
Toots Putman
Buster Wyatt

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Everyone making fun of that one Japanese game but they were pretty close

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Everyone making fun of that one Japanese game but they were pretty close

That’s because they’re just tweaks to nhl rosters from around that time. Kevin Nogilny is instantly recognizable as Alexander Mogilny, a star player, for example.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Dec 28, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arivia posted:

That’s because they’re just tweaks to nhl rosters from around that time. Kevin Nogilny is instantly recognizable as Alexander Mogilny, a star player, for example.

Yeah, this came up in another thread and someone had figured it out. Basically, take some NHL rosters from the 90s, translate them to Japanese, then from Japanese back to English with all the quirks that can entail, throw a few slight changes and tweaks, and you end up with Bobson Dugnutt.

fartknocker posted:

They always were real, they're all names of NHL players from 1993 just run through a few layers of translation:

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1308890248718553097?s=61&t=Wira3l5cmu_E2KGRbqsALw

Bobson Dugnutt is based on real NHL goalie Ron Tugnutt, who holds the record for most saves in a regular season game! :eng101:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bobson Dugnutt is inherently one of the funniest names in existence. It just makes me laugh, and I can't even articulate why, but it makes sense given that its apparent real-life inspiration (Ron Tugnutt) is already pretty funny.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zadoc Kahn

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Dick Hyman

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The one that gets me is 'Todd Bonzales' and like, it's only one letter away from a completely normal common name, and it kills me for some reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, this came up in another thread and someone had figured it out. Basically, take some NHL rosters from the 90s, translate them to Japanese, then from Japanese back to English with all the quirks that can entail, throw a few slight changes and tweaks, and you end up with Bobson Dugnutt.

Yeah, Fighting Baseball is actually MLBPA Baseball. It was made by an American dev for EA. Their MLBPA license didn't extend to Japan so when they translated it they just messed around with the names in various ways. The same dev had made the annual EA NHL game that year so they just used the roster names they already had for that before mucking them up a bit for some, and for others they'd pair 2 MLB teams and swap stuff around between them.

They figured the Japanese audience wouldn't know any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

The one that gets me is 'Todd Bonzales' and like, it's only one letter away from a completely normal common name, and it kills me for some reason.

See also: Mike Sernandez