Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Hubbert posted:

they basically nailed and improved the TTRPG naval combat

The biggest improvement is that it is a single player game.

There's not enough to do for multiple people.
Imagine doing the same poo poo for 2 hours and not getting to do anything useful or fun. #Roguetrader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the bounty hunter core abilities seem kinda lame but theres some things in there that can help support other builds so its nice for idira and pasqal

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sharkopath posted:

I think that would be true more if the games consequences for being iconoclast weren't pretty minor all things considered. Dogmatic killing everybody mostly just cuts you off from content without new content to replace it.

I was mostly replying to the idea that someone shooting a daemon summoner in the head immediately was part of a genre-savvy metagaming approach, rather than whether or not one choice or the other provided more interesting content. If anything going "maybe i'll let the person who summoned a daemon in the middle of my ship that could have blown it up and killed everyone off with a slap on the wrist to see what interesting content results" is probably a bit weirder.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Has anyone found any Persuasion items that xenos can actually use? Just ran into a check where suddenly Yrliet had to make one instead of the MC, and lol at their base 30 value actually succeeding.

Just invested a common talent in Persuasion, because it's not like they've got much else necessary to take, but it's still an extremely minimal chance.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Built my MC and Abelard both as warrior vanguards and now all bossfights end with everyone but them dead and we just get shot in the face a million times for 0 damage as we hit all the enemies with our dumb swords

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Due to a crewmember-involved daemon incident I'm now needing to build one of my backup squad members. Heinrick as a melee assassin?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lord Koth posted:

Has anyone found any Persuasion items that xenos can actually use? Just ran into a check where suddenly Yrliet had to make one instead of the MC, and lol at their base 30 value actually succeeding.

Just invested a common talent in Persuasion, because it's not like they've got much else necessary to take, but it's still an extremely minimal chance.

There's one in Act 2 somewhere but also that check is the only one I found and passing it doesn't seem to do much so its not a huge deal.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

Built my MC and Abelard both as warrior vanguards and now all bossfights end with everyone but them dead and we just get shot in the face a million times for 0 damage as we hit all the enemies with our dumb swords

What difficulty you playing on? I'm kinda jealous as I can't figure out how to keep Abelard alive on unfair, I feel like he gets 2-3 before going down which doesn't jive well with the vanguard gimmick scaling on getting hit.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Further Reading posted:

What difficulty you playing on? I'm kinda jealous as I can't figure out how to keep Abelard alive on unfair, I feel like he gets 2-3 before going down which doesn't jive well with the vanguard gimmick scaling on getting hit.

I'm just on Daring, I think the key is to take the Living Shield talent and stack parry chance. Then you just gotta survive the first round of combat by stacking as many temporary wounds as possible, with the feat the stacks parry and armor (or deflection) based on amount of temporary wounds and once youre past the first round you basically become immune to ranged damage and very hard to kill in melee. Here's a screenie of me eating a dark lance with all the bonuses and poo poo

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Kallabasica faction sells a helmet for craftworld that improves persuasion and commerce in chapter 4. Poets Grace.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

You can get a powersword with +30% parry chance. Parry tank Abelard is sweet as gently caress

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

I'm just on Daring, I think the key is to take the Living Shield talent and stack parry chance. Then you just gotta survive the first round of combat by stacking as many temporary wounds as possible, with the feat the stacks parry and armor (or deflection) based on amount of temporary wounds and once youre past the first round you basically become immune to ranged damage and very hard to kill in melee. Here's a screenie of me eating a dark lance with all the bonuses and poo poo

Ooo, nice this should help a bunch. Thanks!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Snowy Planet Turret Trap

- lol get hosed (I just used toybox after Idira summoned a Screamer she is on my last nerve)
- skill check spikes make it obvious this paced for end of Act 2 at the earliest
- if you just get the turrets in melee they shut down because they can't move and count as 2h weapons and could
- Also again curious about the real skill check %, the demolition to find the secret entrance was 70% for me but took 5 savescum tries to succeed.

great job Owlcat

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I use Take 25 via toybox on skillchecks tbh. Traumas from botching dumb ones are hyper annoying

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

How do Eldar know about monkeys and that we're genetically similar to them or to use it as an insult? This game is cool and I like the setting. I assume the answer is "it's fun, stop" but in the event there is an explanation for that or the prevalence of bipedal humanoid shaped life I'd love to know.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

pentyne posted:

Snowy Planet Turret Trap

- lol get hosed (I just used toybox after Idira summoned a Screamer she is on my last nerve)
- skill check spikes make it obvious this paced for end of Act 2 at the earliest
- if you just get the turrets in melee they shut down because they can't move and count as 2h weapons and could
- Also again curious about the real skill check %, the demolition to find the secret entrance was 70% for me but took 5 savescum tries to succeed.

great job Owlcat

I swear they are the kings of massive skill check spikes for no reason. I remember going to the Abyss in WoTR and seeing a ladder that my real-life unathletic rear end could have climbed no problem rated as a 42 DC athletics check, apparently because the ladder is in a *scary city*

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Coincidence.

Holy poo poo my character just found a halo device. That's getting hucked straight into a star.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Eifert Posting posted:

Holy poo poo my character just found a halo device. That's getting hucked straight into a star.

I don't see the problem

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

How do Eldar know about monkeys and that we're genetically similar to them or to use it as an insult? This game is cool and I like the setting. I assume the answer is "it's fun, stop" but in the event there is an explanation for that or the prevalence of bipedal humanoid shaped life I'd love to know.

Mon-Keigh is their word for "inferior being".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nerts, I think I missed the force weapon. Unless it's the electric rifle thing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's used to be a name for a completely unrelated to humanity race that Eldar had a lot of bad blood with which later turned into a slur for "inferior being".

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

I don't see the problem

Pasqal, this little rock needs to be propelled into that star right there within the next 40 minutes and I swear by the throne if you try and suggest anything else you're going with it.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

It's used to be a name for a completely unrelated to humanity race that Eldar had a lot of bad blood with which later turned into a slur for "inferior being".

That's super neat. Especially because that's how language actually evolves, at least for humans.

Xun posted:

Honestly before the game came out I thought Abelard was gona be boring and suck but actually he rules and is my bro

Usually in games the designated bro character sucks or is fine, but Abelard is a good guy and dutiful seneschal. I like these characters. It's been a drat fine year for CRPGs.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Coincidence.

Immediately glass the planet.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Aside from a RT built for the role, who are you all using for the following skill checks

- Lore Imperium
- Commerce
- Persuasion
- Coercion

I just landed on Janus and even with the +30% bonus to skill checks from the difficulty option slider (which I don't even know if it's working properly) I'm suddenly seeing a lot of skill checks 70% and below, including a bunch of -30 dialogue choices that are pretty low if not impossible to succeed in.

I did get the vibe that even for normal or story mode the skill check numbers jump sky high so you have to take those specific skill talents in your character builds.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

Aside from a RT built for the role, who are you all using for the following skill checks

- Lore Imperium
- Commerce
- Persuasion
- Coercion

I use Jae for all of those.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

pentyne posted:

- Lore Imperium
- Commerce
- Persuasion
- Coercion

I just landed on Janus and even with the +30% bonus to skill checks from the difficulty option slider (which I don't even know if it's working properly) I'm suddenly seeing a lot of skill checks 70% and below, including a bunch of -30 dialogue choices that are pretty low if not impossible to succeed in.

I did get the vibe that even for normal or story mode the skill check numbers jump sky high so you have to take those specific skill talents in your character builds.

My main character does Persuasion and Coercion. Jae does Commerce and Lore Imperium. Jae can pretty easily crush her checks with gear. I'm where you are and my RT's coercion is at 120.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

the bounty hunter core abilities seem kinda lame but theres some things in there that can help support other builds so its nice for idira and pasqal

This is how I treat Bounty Hunter and Grand Strategist. The Bounty Hunter can provide some nice armor penetration and dodge reduction buffs, and the Grand Strategist is perfect for someone like Cassia who you'd rather use their origin abilities as opposed to their archtype powers. I did not take a single strategem on Cassia in my first playthrough, just the talent that made Backline areas give an -AP cost discount to attacks made from them (Free Fire Zone I think).

Similarly with Bounty Hunter, Yrliet existed to make critical hits and by doing so give the rest of the party armor pen, which meant those super armored enemies in the late game had very little defense against me.

Kanos posted:

I was mostly replying to the idea that someone shooting a daemon summoner in the head immediately was part of a genre-savvy metagaming approach, rather than whether or not one choice or the other provided more interesting content. If anything going "maybe i'll let the person who summoned a daemon in the middle of my ship that could have blown it up and killed everyone off with a slap on the wrist to see what interesting content results" is probably a bit weirder.

You might even call it metagame, since your decision is predicated on knowing you're in a CRPG and not the mindset of the Rogue Trader!

Jack Trades posted:

I use Jae for all of those.

Yeah I think if your trader isn't a face (and maybe even if you are) Jae might be the best choice for a skill monkey thanks to Cold Trader's Acumen and whatever that one that lets her use FEL instead of INT for INT skills. I'm really, REALLY jealous that feature isn't available to the PC.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you're playing a Forge World character that relies on Intelligence, that one Forge World talent that lets you use INT as a base for social skills instead of FEL might also be good. I think a support Pasqal is a good early candidate for this (especially if you don't want to bring Jae along for whatever reason) since between his Operative skills and Machine Spirit Communion he's going to be starved for AP until you get an increase.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Clerical Terrors posted:

Two pieces of DLC have been announced so far, no Orks.

That's because they're obviously going to do a standalone expansion Warhammer 40,000: Freeboota

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

traps have always been tedious in these IE, Owlcat, nwn, etc type games. Bit of clicking busywork if you have any kind of thief but sometimes you miss click and oops big damage spike. There's just nothing interesting about it.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

pentyne posted:

- Lore Imperium
- Commerce
- Persuasion
- Coercion

For persuasion: I think Cassia can get a feat which uses her willpower for it? She ended near 150-170 end of my run for it as a result.

Grandpa gets to coerce people for me - he doesn't stack as high but still ends il high enough.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The reason for the bipedal humanoids is in part down to the first sapient species, the Old Ones, being bipedal and creating a lot of the modern day bipedal humanoid species. Eldar and orks are explicitly their creations, and so are humans probably.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That's super neat. Especially because that's how language actually evolves, at least for humans.

The fact it sounds like Monkey is just part of the joke.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Are there any news about a chapter 4/5 patch? I just did the boss battle for chapter 3 and I guess Ill shelve this until some more stuff is fixed...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eldar also were the dominant political force in the setting after the ancient War that put the necrons to sleep. The chronology isn't given an exact timeline but it's something to the order of 60 million years of them having total control of the galaxy, so despite nobody remaining being that old their ancestors were traveling the stars and building super structures when ours still had tails.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nektu posted:

Are there any news about a chapter 4/5 patch? I just did the boss battle for chapter 3 and I guess Ill shelve this until some more stuff is fixed...

They're pumping out hotfixes for the last acts regularly, but they mostly talk about them on their discord and reddit unless it's a bigger patch.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nektu posted:

Another big patch next week, but I'd go ahead and assume they'll still be stuff to fix afterwards.

Was just reading they plan on counting respecs per character instead of as a collective pool and naybe offering the ability to do respecs of characters earlier levels for those who join later, neat.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 23, 2023

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Can I lock myself out of stuff by progressing too fast, or will every side quest and the like still be available unitl the end of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wanted some WH fiction while I played the game so I read the Rogue Trader trilogy books and they were alright. Any other recommendations for WH books in the spirit of the game so more either naval space or adventure-ish with few space marines or straight guard warfare? Anything in this sector of space? I've read all the usual suspects in 40k fiction like Horus Heresy, Eisenhorn, Gaunt's Ghosts, Caiaphas Caine, Ravenor.