Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Devils Affricate posted:

Crafting systems can be cool if they incorporate automation mechanics, like in Factorio or Satisfactory, where you can craft structures that craft stuff that you originally had to make by hand, and that helps you craft more advanced structures that let you craft the first structures en masse, and so on. When it's just a flat system of ingredients -> product then yeah it's a pointless chore.

yeah stuff like that or minecraft is fine in my book because the whole point of those games is to craft stuff. it's more every open or semi open world game thinking it needs a crafting system to make ammo or upgrades or whatever boring poo poo they decide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I liked how in Horizon: Zero Dawn they had a type of arrow called Tear Arrow that was just massively, absurdly overpowered, like it could kill the hardest robot dinosaurs in 3 shots, and it was balanced around only being able to carry a limited number of them. Except you could just farm up a bunch of the crafting materials for them and craft more on the fly whenever you needed them, trivializing the entire game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Once again Ultima 7 wins, for having the only good weapon crafting system.

Which you only use once. You can craft as much bread as you like, though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

QuarkJets posted:

No it doesn't. Have you even played DS2? There is one giant rat and one hoard of rats with a boss rat that's wearing an eyepatch and he keeps snickering and making jokes at you about strangely personal irl things that the game would have no way of knowing, and it has the voice of your father

Two years ago and it was the SOTFS version so they might've patched the jokes out

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

crafting bad, full stop, your favorite game isn't an exception, be quiet

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

Once again Ultima 7 wins, for having the only good weapon crafting system.

Which you only use once. You can craft as much bread as you like, though.

In IX the only way I know of to kill lord British is through crafting bread.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

Part of me wonders if that "super game" thing Sega has mentioned will be something like that. Just a bunch of different games to capture different audiences under the same roof or feeding back into a central product or system.

why do people keep misinterpreting this
the "super game project" is not one specific game. it's just a plan for "let's throw a lot of money at making various high budget games and hopefully one of them will print money for us"
hyenas was part of it and was just generic GaaS

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol I forgot about that dickhead, lord British was such a great gimmick

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I liked how in Horizon: Zero Dawn they had a type of arrow called Tear Arrow that was just massively, absurdly overpowered, like it could kill the hardest robot dinosaurs in 3 shots, and it was balanced around only being able to carry a limited number of them. Except you could just farm up a bunch of the crafting materials for them and craft more on the fly whenever you needed them, trivializing the entire game.

Upgrading your pouches became the biggest flat upgrade because of that, but the upgrades mostly required you to shoot the defenseless animals like rabbits and turkeys, plus gathering sticks or whatever.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
FFXI probably had the most brutal and insane crafting system I've ever encountered. People complained about how hard it was to level up in that game, but the crafting made it look like a cakewalk in comparison. Your ability to craft items was tied to a crafting level in one of various different professions (blacksmithing, leatherworking, etc) which you could level up by crafting that stuff. However, most of the time when you crafted something, it wouldn't go up at all; there was just a small chance for it to do so. And when it did, you wouldn't gain a crafting level, you'd gain 0.1 of a crafting level. Also, with the way the economy worked, almost everything you could craft had to be done so at a loss (i.e. the crafting materials sold for more than the finished product). You had to pump money into it and sit there for hours just to get a few levels in crafting. The payoff only came after your crafting level was really high, so when you crafted much lower level stuff sometimes you'd get the HQ version of it which sold for more.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

jokes posted:

No game should have crafting, it's just looting with extra steps.

What's the difference between slaying a dragon and opening the treasure chest behind him to find a Sword of Dragon, vs. slaying a dragon and taking its teeth and scales to make Essence of Dragon which can be fused with iron ore to create a Sword of Dragon? It's just padding the time between Thing and Dopamine and usually means you need to slay the dragon 5 times to get enough teeth and scales to make the thing you want (monster hunter)

pride and accomplishment

Maybe I want to play the smith in monster hunter and not the hunter.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

if a game has crafting and you can't just ignore it completely i instantly throw that game out of my window. maybe if a game did something to make crafting more interesting than pick up a load of garbage and then spend time in a menu clicking on those things it might be interesting. But as it is in games now it's just pointless garbage filler gameplay imo.

What if the whole game was just crafting though.

Khanstant posted:

Part of me wonders if that "super game" thing Sega has mentioned will be something like that. Just a bunch of different games to capture different audiences under the same roof or feeding back into a central product or system.

Didn't someone already make a game that was real versions of all this lovely mobile game adds?

Like the car moving one and the merging guys to fight guys ones?

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I just wanted to play FFXIV as a crafter only and never have to kill any monsters or peoples. Why just game have violence? Why can I not just make armor for the hero?

Devils Affricate posted:

FFXI probably had the most brutal and insane crafting system I've ever encountered. People complained about how hard it was to level up in that game, but the crafting made it look like a cakewalk in comparison. Your ability to craft items was tied to a crafting level in one of various different professions (blacksmithing, leatherworking, etc) which you could level up by crafting that stuff. However, most of the time when you crafted something, it wouldn't go up at all; there was just a small chance for it to do so. And when it did, you wouldn't gain a crafting level, you'd gain 0.1 of a crafting level. Also, with the way the economy worked, almost everything you could craft had to be done so at a loss (i.e. the crafting materials sold for more than the finished product). You had to pump money into it and sit there for hours just to get a few levels in crafting. The payoff only came after your crafting level was really high, so when you crafted much lower level stuff sometimes you'd get the HQ version of it which sold for more.

Was FFXI Japanese revenge for ww2?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ravus Ursus posted:

Was FFXI Japanese revenge for ww2?

nah it was just plain ol' masochism

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Japanese revenge for WW2 was that really bad nintendo game, we all know which one

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
The crafting in DQ11 is better than the main game. Gimme more mini-forge!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Japanese revenge for WW2 was that really bad nintendo game, we all know which one

:hmmyes:

joust

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

QuarkJets posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Nah. Close, but nah. Crafting in FFXIV is very good, and more games should directly copy it. Unfortunately though, crafting is the only good thing about FFXIV.

Edit: Ultima Online was very close to good! Just barely falls short though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doom Rooster posted:

Nah. Close, but nah. Crafting in FFXIV is very good, and more games should directly copy it. Unfortunately though, crafting is the only good thing about FFXIV.

It is is a turn-based 3-variable puzzle with RNG and progression elements and that's enough to make it the only good crafting system in any game

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In IX the only way I know of to kill lord British is through crafting bread.

Proof that the worst Ultima game still had better crafting than any other non-Ultima game

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

razamataza posted:

Nah what sucks is the shite boss fights, bad enemy AI, dodgy hit boxes, and snap point movement.

But enough about 3

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Ravus Ursus posted:

What if the whole game was just crafting though.

There are some crafting games where even the crafting sucks, like Valheim

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

my biggest complaint against Tear arrows is they fundamentally demonstrate that H:ZD combat is padded numbers bullshit. There's a certain point about 2/3rds through the 1st game (haven't played the 2nd one yet) where its a coffin corner of all the sins of 3d action games - weapons feel powerless, grind is very real, shitloads of backtracking, and overall movement feels like a chore. Game is hella good before & after that... only for them to double down on all that poo poo in the DLC. I played like fifteen minutes of Forbidden West and the game kicked off with my most hated feature - long dumb climb with gimmicky camera controls while a voice actor gives you a month of exposition. To be fair, I'm more than willing to give Forbidden West a shot when it hits steam, but I just noped out of that real quick.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Horizon: Zero Dawn had a very interesting backstory that you get through audio logs etc and the graphics were great for the time but everything else was bad. It felt like there was supposed to be some kind of lootbox mechanic that got scrapped at the last minute because of the backlash against lootboxes. Dialogue scenes are somehow less animate than the mass effect series. Combat was tedious. Even Lance Reddick couldn't make a character interesting.

I haven't played the sequel and probably won't until I see it for maybe a tenner.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

There are some crafting games where even the crafting sucks, like Valheim

I was so enraptured by the boat trips + construction in valheim that i played way too much of it while suffering through the crafting and progression systems.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn had a very interesting backstory that you get through audio logs etc

lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

Edit: Ultima Online was very close to good! Just barely falls short though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Elden Ring is a dad game. Undertale is a furry game.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Space Kablooey posted:

I was so enraptured by the boat trips + construction in valheim that i played way too much of it while suffering through the crafting and progression systems.

valheim was the best game that I eventually realized was actually not very good.

syntaxfunction posted:

Elden Ring is a dad game.

fight me my kids

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

Yeah, Valheim was a weird one because a lot of the tertiary stuff was actually pretty fun. Building poo poo was cool, exploring was cool, but the whole game was built around its absolutely miserable crafting system.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Elden Ring is probably the least dad (undadliest?) game From has ever made

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aint nothing more dadly than being your own wife.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Didn't really get to start DS2 today because I was distracted by other stuff. Fired it up for the first time just a bit ago only to find that it didn't like my Dual Shock 4, the camera was just spinning and spinning and the buttons were wrong. Got that sorted after a little digging. Managed to die once before I even created my character, which kind of owns. Met a bus-sized cyclops, then decided to just look at the creation options and call it a night since it's getting late. Will start proper tomorrow, hopefully. I have high hopes.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Elite: Dangerous' crafting is interesting because it lets you create necessary items while being hours away from the nearest civilization

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Wait, I don't remember ED having crafting.

But I also played that game like it was my job and had spreadsheets up for space trucking and being the best small business man I could hope to be.

The soundtrack in the game was extremely chill and I often felt like I should take up reefer to maximize my experience. Or get into VR and really lose myself.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The best crafting systems are the ones you can ignore entirely, like Baldur's Gate 3 where I only did like 5 so I could get the trophy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

They should have put a craftable trophy in the game

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This just reminded me, I would fistfight Wladimir Klistschko to get a remaster of the LOTR GameCube generation hack and slashers.

:yeah:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

undertale is old enough to be a furry dad game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
If bioshock infinite had japanese subtitles, half this forum would consider it the greatest game of all time, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just going to put out there, there are far, far more RPG's with terrible plots than great ones.

A lot of RPG's have writing that's just, um I don't want to be to harsh and say really poor, but I mean yeah. Often just over relying on tropes, and endless copying of characters and plot points.

Although that is sort of just media in general. Turns out doing good and interesting original work is hard!