Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Just noticed this seems to be (a recolor of?) the pre-imperial Garlean revolver. Taking out the antique gun to solve a family dispute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

This was also my interpretation of that line. I'm not sure if it has ever been confirmed one way or another if the Ascians created Allag, but I'm of the opinion they did and made Garlemald less technologically advanced to avoid having a repeat of the society destroying themselves with science that's too advanced for them.

I dont think we know what the ascians did at the start of Allag. It's impossible that Solus was Xande, their first great emperor, since Solus was running Garlemald while Xande was stuck in the Crystal Tower. So it must be a different strategy. We know the Allagans developed their tech by studying Omega, so this guy probably went "wow check out this cool alien robot I found" and let it spiral out from there.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I love Solus but I love someone else introduced here more. :3:

I remember getting to this part of the MSQ and being blown away by how hype it got the second Thancred went down, and that’s with me spoiling myself on the entire plot of ShB through the power of……. I was really desperate for Estinien/Aymeric in the wake of finishing 3.3 and opened AO3 while all my friends screamed NO and I went “wait why is everyone shipping their WoL with these people”.

Uh. Not recommended. Thankfully not a problem most goons have. :v:

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
All of this stuff was absolutely incredible to go through, but man, I have to say that Solus’s introduction is perhaps one of my favorite character introductions in the game. I was aware of some things about him beforehand but literally nothing could have prepared me for his grandson petulantly shooting him and his corpse rolling down the stairs and just lying there as Solus pops back with a mildly beleaguered sigh. I absolutely love that the Galvus family has the potential to be the ultimate dark sitcom, they’re just so loving funny.

I think one of the funnier things is that Matsuno recently mentioned in a 10th anniversary message that he had no idea that was coming when he established Solus as a big theater nerd. Truly a delight.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

sweet geek swag posted:

Solus is... great. I have nothing else to say about him as a character right now.

I think you took Solus a little wrong about the Garlean Empire though. He didn't say he built the Garlean Empire wrong to sow chaos, he says he built the Garlean Empire to sow chaos. An empire by its very nature sows chaos. Maybe Solus made it extra bad or something, but I think Solus built an empire because the very act of maintaining an empire would require the chaos he wants.
Don't forget how the Empire factors into the Ascian's Primal arms race plans. By encouraging a culture of militant atheism (via blatantly lying about the Burn, as an Ascian Solus would have known drat well that it was caused by Azys Lla's launch) that relentlessly persecutes the religious while simultaneously arming the Empire's targets with bigger and badder rituals to summon their gods with, the Ascians have created a feedback loop of destruction. After a certain point, all Solus would have to do is sit back and watch the fireworks - which is, apparently, exactly what he was doing before Elidibus dragged him back onto the stage.

Wrestlepig posted:

I dont think we know what the ascians did at the start of Allag. It's impossible that Solus was Xande, their first great emperor, since Solus was running Garlemald while Xande was stuck in the Crystal Tower. So it must be a different strategy. We know the Allagans developed their tech by studying Omega, so this guy probably went "wow check out this cool alien robot I found" and let it spiral out from there.
I'll note that the Xande you meet in the Crystal Tower is explicitly a clone of the original created centuries after the original died.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 23, 2023

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Patch 4.4 is fantastic, as noted. The first couple of post-Stormblood patches struggled to really grab me and I was having to force my way through the MSQ but 4.4 had everything I was looking for. I love the Burn's soundtrack, I love the Burn (Savage), Ga Bu, Solus the skunk-haired immortal theatre kid, whatever's going on with the Scions ... If this doesn't get you hyped up for the coming expansion, nothing will.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If it weren't for the change in voice actors we'd know who Shadowhunter is because he had a voice line either this or last patch. San is right in that they're a reoccurring character...

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

sweet geek swag posted:

I think you took Solus a little wrong about the Garlean Empire though. He didn't say he built the Garlean Empire wrong to sow chaos, he says he built the Garlean Empire to sow chaos. An empire by its very nature sows chaos. Maybe Solus made it extra bad or something, but I think Solus built an empire because the very act of maintaining an empire would require the chaos he wants.
I think it can be argued with validity that the simple fact that the Empire was built by a dark sorcerer weakens the prominent themes in Stormblood about the evils of Empire.

Empires are evil by their nature, but also this empire was built by an evil sorcerer for the purpose of being evil.

It's like if you make your villain queer-coded; even if the person's evilness and gayness are unrelated, it can introduce a lot of unfortunate implications and unintended connections because of how gays have been portrayed in media historically.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Patch 4.4 is great, not least for the way it sets up your expectations and then throws several spanners in the works so you aren't so sure that things are going to happen the way you were thinking they would. Thancred going down was a huge oh poo poo moment. And Alisae's emotional journey through the whole ordeal is a genuinely fantastic performance.

Finally, the world's most powerful theater kid has taken the stage. :smuggo: He's the worst and also the best. Mostly the best.

Unrelated, but my personal headcanon is that Sadu's VA legit lost her poo poo at "little sun" and they just captured it as-is.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'll note that the Xande you meet in the Crystal Tower is explicitly a clone of the original created centuries after the original died.

I don't think FFXIV does cartesian dualism wrt clones very well (especially since souls definitely exist so how does that work?) but Xande-clone is Xande in the sense that it appeared to have the original's mental engrams or whatever, just also loaded up with nihilism. That could be wrong or incomplete, but we've been given no reason to doubt it.

We also don't have an exhaustive history of Allag of course, so Solus could have done any number of things, Ascians mostly didn't insert themselves into a role for multiple decades in other cases that we saw, so they could have just done stuff like help develop Primal capture tech after giving Primal summoning magic to Meracydia or whatever, both times just being a dude in a black robe.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Wrestlepig posted:

Just as a refresher, according to the information we got during the Omega storyline, the original Emperor Xande invented Aetherochemistry, and that tech led to the initial establishment of the Allagan Empire. Some decades later, shortly after Xande's death, they found Omega. Studying its body and applying that information to their existing Aetherochemical knowledge base advanced their technology by several centuries over the course of around 60 years. Then they managed to awaken Omega's AI, and spent another 20 years learning to talk to it. Once effective communication was established, working with Omega gave them a THIRD giant tech leap over the course of a few more decades before the robot stopped being co-operative and that shut it off on the theory they had nothing else to learn from it.

As far as we were told in Crystal Tower, Allagan society had largely stagnated until Xande's Clone came along, took over and implemented the program of global expansion and conquest. It was during said effort to unite the world under Allag's banner that the Clone introduced the use of Voidsent to his people, and when they started using Binding Coils and Internment Hulks. It's also when they came up the Dalamud project, which was explicitly about meeting the energy needs of widespread Voidsent usage.

Personally I think its relatively safe to assume that the reign of Xande's Clone is when the Ascians first dug their talons into Allag based on that information. Sudden desire for mass conquest, use of Voidsent and use of Summoning are literally all of their calling cards.

Kwyndig posted:

If it weren't for the change in voice actors we'd know who Shadowhunter is because he had a voice line either this or last patch. San is right in that they're a reoccurring character...

Did he? I swear all his scenes were voiceless. He's only had two. I don't even think his battle lines were voiced in the RP Duty.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 23, 2023

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Burn is easily one of the best dungeons in not just Stormblood but across FFXIV as a whole. The first two bosses are kind of a nothingburger but Mist Dragon used to be a proper wake-up call that the game was getting harder (and was a clever reference back to FF4, as others have outlined). Everything in this patch is firing on all cylinders and I think the only thing I remember having a problem with in the moment is that the Main Story content was too short - it could be because of how many cliffhangers they've put us on.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
4.4 is truly a wild, wild ride. The amount that my close friends and I were yelling WHAT at one another in our linkshell over the latter half is a very fond memory.

The drum of "This side-content should be made mandatory so the writers can actually do something to resolve it in the MSQ" is one that people are forever banging on, and they're right to do so.

Solus is a fan favourite, and that single scene is the strongest introduction he could have possibly been given. He's just so much, and I love him. A tired but very extra old man.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

sweet geek swag posted:

My objection wasn't to Solus making the Empire, it was to what Shadowhunter said, the implication that the reason the Empire is so bad is because Solus, an Ascian, made it, rather than because... its an Empire and Empires are always bad. He literally says "They have no interest in ruling, they just want to sew discord," and the unspoken part of that sentiment is "if they did have an interest in ruling the Empire would be fine and these things wouldn't happen."

Again, I'm guessing that Shadowhunter feels that way because, you know, he's a Garlean soldier. He doesn't want to face the idea that even if there were no Ascians the Empire would still be bad. Hopefully the story will play that out and the notion that the Empire would be good without Ascians, especially the one that made it, will be rightly mocked.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

4.4 is one of the best patches. The Burn is excellent, Little Sun is one of the most memorable insults in the game, and of course the whole deal with the Scions and the introduction of Solus, everybody's favorite theater kid.

I couldn't wait for 4.5 to drop and see WTF was going on.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like how canonically in XIV an evil wizard was like "I will design a system of government that is intended to fail as chaotically and destructively as possible" and that's how fascism was invented.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sanguinia posted:

Shadowhunter and Solus may have had flashy introductions, but they're still very much enigmas who spent most of their time on screen speaking in riddles.

It's funny you felt that way about Solus. I thought that it was interesting how in just one cutscene he shows up, says everything you need to know about him and his mission, and then leaves. There wasn't any riddles at all, just needling Varis that he is but a co-star in the Ascians larger play. An important decoy, of course, but still a decoy. If anything, Varis's efforts to hold all the Garlean factions in line and prevent the Empire from coming apart at the seams has only served to continue the status quo, his prize for so much trouble essentially vapor.

Anyhow...

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Sanguinia posted:

Y'Shtola being completely done and walking away while the Dungeon Boss music plays for the epic battle we have no time for isn't even the best part.

Not only does the dungeon boss music play, but right before the scene fades out, you can hear that little woosh noise that plays at the end of every dungeon boss intro scene once they're done going "RAWR" at you.

Its the small details like that that I really enjoy about this game.

(I have no comment on Solus or that weird voice thing right now other than "I agree with the masses.")

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Man, I forgot how loaded 4.4 was. I remember all of these twists and introductions being a trip at the time, I just forgot they were also all together.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hell yeah. we're about at the point where I realized Shadowbringers was going to be interesting

lmao

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Craptacular! posted:

It's funny you felt that way about Solus. I thought that it was interesting how in just one cutscene he shows up, says everything you need to know about him and his mission, and then leaves. There wasn't any riddles at all, just needling Varis that he is but a co-star in the Ascians larger play.

I guess by riddles I just meant how much he blew up my understanding about what was going on and reminded me how little I actually know about the main villain and their true goals and intentions. :lol:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Garlean Empire's origins are at least an echo of Ishgard's nobility being a farce built on lies, though much more modern, since Solus is the progenitor of the Empire (but not pre-Imperial Garlemald, at least as far as we know...unless, Goug...:tinfoil:) and his death as that founder to the peoples of the world is incredibly recent.
In an expansion with more Final Fantasy Tactics references than usual, this is in fact one of them that's not even locked behind an alliance raid!

So it stood out pretty well when used here. Added plenty of fuel for speculation, too. Spoilers for Final Fantasy Tactics: that guy is casting a spell to open a portal to drag Ramza and his crew into "Hell".

Sanguinia posted:

A new piece of music starts to play, a discordant and deeply sinister little arrangement called "Bedlam's Brink."
This didn't get named for a while (they didn't have an interim album to collect 4.4 and 4.5's new music so it's all at the start of Shadowbringer's OST, meaning we had to wait past 5.0 to get all that on an official release), but it's always great to get a new piece of scene music. Kinda wish more time was devoted to them, actually, but I get Soken already has a lot on his plate to also pump out a bunch of new incidental tracks on top of that, and we are still getting mileage on repurposed 1.0 tracks.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
"Let expanse contract; let eon become instant" just goes so hard.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sanguinia posted:

I guess by riddles I just meant how much he blew up my understanding about what was going on and reminded me how little I actually know about the main villain and their true goals and intentions. :lol:

Not sure how familiar you are with Kingdom Hearts as a franchise, but there's a scene from the end of the first game that probably accurately summarizes how you were feeling at this point:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The build up to Shadowbringers is so great, the story is mysterious, the new characters are interesting, the dungeons are top notch. It's my favorite pre expansion patch story.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
What a good loving patch. I forgot just how many of these insanely memorable moments were all in one patch. Rediculous!

The Burn is one of my favorite dungeons. I love how desolately beautiful it is. Also, its song is honestly one of my favorites in the entire game Lastly, I can attest to the Mist Dragon being memorable with first time players (especially first time tanks). And very memorable for us poor Blue Mages who wanted to learn its power. So many wipes...

Beyond even my personal love of the Burn, 4.4 is also where I was most at the edge of my seat in the post-Stormblood patch cycle. I absolutely had to keep going and see what was going to happen next; what's the deal with Solus? Who IS Shadowhunter? Who's grabbing the homies through the Yugioh Shadow Realm? So many questions!

I also felt that, amongst all the scions, Ali was the most established as deuteragonist by now. Much like Sang, I felt a very hard pull towards her and my own WoL having a pretty deep connection and no small amount of similarities. Others see their WoL as adopted parents; Sami will always be Ali's Irresponsible Auntie.

But honestly. What a good loving patch!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Wrestlepig posted:

I dont think we know what the ascians did at the start of Allag. It's impossible that Solus was Xande, their first great emperor, since Solus was running Garlemald while Xande was stuck in the Crystal Tower.

Been sitting on this forever since Sang won't level the class that provides some of the support for it, but it was established in ARR that Allegans were a primitive people who worshipped before taking a hard swing to no-gods and hard sci fi technology at some undetermined point in history for.... some reasons. The Allegan Sun Temple in one of the Frontline maps is one of the clues toward that which we can call fair game for this.

And yes, there's that sun god connection again.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 23, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

dyslexicfaser posted:

I appreciate how excited Hien is when he gets to fly somewhere. Dude loves his purple eagle.

Possibly he's as tired of his lil' instanced meting hall as I was getting towards the end.

Action Man is taking one for the team and allowing himself to be shackled by politics and I'm glad they let him out from time to time

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Begemot posted:

Yessssssssssss, Rat Grandpa has arrived!

That first cutscene is great, Solus is such a breath of fresh air after how stoic Zenos was.

What version of Zenos is stoic? Seriously, the scenery-chewing Galvus genes may have skipped Varis but they didn't skip Zenos at all. He has moments where he's quieter but there's not a single point where I would call him stoic.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

The biggest goddamn ham has entered the game, and he is amazing. I'm in full agreement with the below poster.

Thundarr posted:

Finally, the world's most powerful theater kid has taken the stage. :smuggo: He's the worst and also the best. Mostly the best.

God, Solus' introduction is great. XD

As an aside though? Zenos' VA, Luke Allen-Gale does an amazing job in that scene, and it's a pity that he gets overshadowed by the most dramatic grandpa popping up, because he manages to make it very clear just through cadence and delivery that it may be Zenos' body walking around, but it's not his soul or mind in the driver's seat. Just... perfect little detailing there.

But yeah, this entire stretch of the MSQ with the Burn, diplomacy, creating a resistance to Garlemald, the voice and the affliction of our comrades and then just... Fuckin' Solus going "Everything is a Nemesis Ascian plot!" blew everyone I play this game with away. 4.4 is incredibly memorable because there's such a lot, and I think it's hard to overstate how hype some of us got for Shadowbringers and seeing where all of it would lead.

edit: A final thing for anyone here who hasn't played the game, the peak, black physical comedy when Varis shoots Solus genuinely has to be seen to be believed. I laughed so hard the first time I watched it that I worried I'd cracked a rib.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 23, 2023

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Here comes a special boy~

Also MagnaiLittle Sun is a loser.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Not sure how familiar you are with Kingdom Hearts as a franchise, but there's a scene from the end of the first game that probably accurately summarizes how you were feeling at this point:

Hilariously, when I got to this a few weeks back all I could call Solus was "A Kingdom Hearts big bad who went into the wrong studio when he was meant to shoot for KH3".

Also copy / Paste on my previous notes on how much better the animation has gotten all around without necessarily limiting the charm XIV has in terms of basically being a PSX FF Game with canned animations and the like.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 23, 2023

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
The throne room cutscene is one of those moments where I realized just how much the FFXIV cutscene animation team had really upped their game from the early days in ARR of mostly static NPCs talking to each other with static camera angles. I'm by no means any kind of expert but even I could see the cinematography team going completely wild in this one.

The scene begins with Zenos approaching the Emperor in the throne room, as you'd expect. This is the Emperor's place of power, and Zenos is approaching it to ask a favor. A little bit strangely, Varis is not on the throne, but looking toward it from the floor. Lots can be implied from this, such as the seat of the Emperor may be larger than the man himself, Varis. But kings are often seen standing next to rather than sitting on a throne in certain political contexts, and still the relationships here are pretty much what you'd expect.

This guy steps out, literally the man behind the throne, immediately re-contextualizing everyone's locations in the scene. Varis, without having moved an inch, is now in the position of the supplicant at the foot of the throne.

the almost 90 degree dutch angle here (plus the music) tells us to buckle up because we're on the train to crazy town. Things are literally going sideways.

When Solus finally walks out of the scene, he does so in such a way that it forces Varis to turn around and re-assume the position of the Emperor at his throne. But as he does, it reveals Solus leaving behind his own corpse, which uh again is just literally the political situation Varis is in. He's Emperor because this smarmy piece of poo poo died and left it all for him to clean up.

Lazy Fair fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 23, 2023

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

TLM3101 posted:

The biggest goddamn ham has entered the game, and he is amazing. I'm in full agreement with the below poster.

God, Solus' introduction is great. XD

As an aside though? Zenos' VA, Luke Allen-Gale does an amazing job in that scene, and it's a pity that he gets overshadowed by the most dramatic grandpa popping up, because he manages to make it very clear just through cadence and delivery that it may be Zenos' body walking around, but it's not his soul or mind in the driver's seat. Just... perfect little detailing there.

But yeah, this entire stretch of the MSQ with the Burn, diplomacy, creating a resistance to Garlemald, the voice and the affliction of our comrades and then just... Fuckin' Solus going "Everything is a Nemesis Ascian plot!" blew everyone I play this game with away. 4.4 is incredibly memorable because there's such a lot, and I think it's hard to overstate how hype some of us got for Shadowbringers and seeing where all of it would lead.

edit: A final thing for anyone here who hasn't played the game, the peak, black physical comedy when Varis shoots Solus genuinely has to be seen to be believed. I laughed so hard the first time I watched it that I worried I'd cracked a rib.

Agreed with all of this. I feel like between Yotsuyu+Grynewaht and Varis+Solus FFXIV has sort of set into a pattern of the villains being part of deranged comedy duos that I just kind of love.

Also yeah Luke Allen-Gale is a superstar. Granted it’s hard to name a VA who doesn’t nail it but he’s fantastic.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It's here we finally arrived at the first floor of the fireworks factory.

Rat man! Ga Bu! Soulnapping! Little Sun! What a doozy of an update this was and how completely insane speculation became.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 23, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Everything about this update is amazing.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
CHEW THE SCENERY FOR ME, SOLUS, BABY. :swoon:

Seriously though, people talk about Luke Allen-Gale giving 210%, but Rene Zagger goes just as hard and it's a huge part of why Solus is so great.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

dyslexicfaser posted:

I think it can be argued with validity that the simple fact that the Empire was built by a dark sorcerer weakens the prominent themes in Stormblood about the evils of Empire.

Empires are evil by their nature, but also this empire was built by an evil sorcerer for the purpose of being evil.

It's like if you make your villain queer-coded; even if the person's evilness and gayness are unrelated, it can introduce a lot of unfortunate implications and unintended connections because of how gays have been portrayed in media historically.

I mean, I can see how you could read it that way, but I think you're being a bit too generous to our old friend the Shadowhunter.

It's not that they came in and messed up Garlemald and Allag, perfectly functional and good empires. It's that, in this universe, imperialism was invented by an evil ghost wizard as a form of government that's bad on purpose.

I don't think that is a PRO-imperial argument.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
First of all

Sanguinia posted:

coup-de-gras
It's coup de grâce :argh: (and the "-ce" is not silent either, it sounds like "grass")

Second of all, from The Call up to the title drop of Shadowbringers, the build-up you are in is a thing of beauty, so many questions, so many half answers, so many cool moments.
The introduction of Solus is so good, that dude oozes charisma and he fortunately never let go of that trait.

Re: Black Rose: when you got that sidequest a ton of chapters back, I was actually surprised how early we were introduced to that checkov's gun. I did the sidequests on semi-automatic mode when I played Stormblood and completely forgot (or didn't pay attention) to this one, not that it meant anything at that point though. The interesting question is how much did they plan with it and if they actually intended to fire that specific gun, the XIV writers are very good at releasing open threads they may or may not have a continuation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I understand the concern that making the empire the result of an evil purple wizard undermines the rest of the critique of imperialism, but personally I always felt that having it come up here, at the end of stormblood, did a lot to soften that blow. at least to me at the time (I played through the patches more or less consecutively because I played through later), it felt less like "this empire is evil because it was founded by a powerful evil wizard" and more like "this powerful evil wizard made an empire because he knows empires are inherently depraved engines of extraction and immiseration."

still made me go a little ehhh as a reveal, but after an expansion all about empire literally and figuratively hollowing people out and turning them into monsters in pursuit of ends that are ultimately explicitly stupid and violent and nihilistic I can see how they wouldn't be worried about undercutting "life outside the metropole: the expansion" with this wizard twist