Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Do we know (or can we piece together) the history of the flute yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Grundulum posted:

Only if you physically go to BYU to read Brandon’s thesis.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Halfway through Yumi so far and it’s been a joy to read, I don’t want it to end. Seems like the perfect cosmere book to read to my kids given its innocence and charming characters.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grundulum posted:

Speculation is that it was the one in the hut in mistborn 1

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Rhythm of War Part 3 (Chapter 44-72 & Part 3 Interludes)

I think I generally understand the epigraphs here. I *think* it's Raboniel as the main text and likely Venli writing it as her scribe, and interjecting the undertexts. Raboniel is writing it about her experimentation with the Sibling, though I'm finding it hard to see a future where Venli is still working with Raboniel at a point where writing a book is on the cards. I considered Navani, but undertext scribe uses "they" to refer to humans, so I think it's a singer of some variety at least. Cool that they mention the sand from Taldian though, and I have no idea who "El" is since Elend is very much deceased.

So much of part 3 was Brandon going "You thought it was bad at the end of Part 2 when they took over the tower? Well guess what, losses for all my protagonists. Get hosed Navani and Kaladin. The Sibling? Constantly in agony. Lift? Trapped in a loving aluminum box. Dalinar? Hurt and confused by basically everything, the situation in Urithiru, Taravangian, his own slow progress in his Surgebindings.

Seriously Brandon sent this part of the book into a nosedive in terms of the balance of hope and despair. But there's two sections left and I can see some stars aligning. Most notably that Venli is closer than ever to actually loving doing something. (Oh yeah, where the gently caress is Sja-anat to try and trip up Odium's plans?) I'm glad that Venli and Rlain met, but I'm worried for Venli if Raboniel was so completely on top of the Navani situation by listening in to Navani's and the Sibling's conversations. Venli could very easily get ruined by a Fused, she's very unpracticed with her Surgebindings. I'm very hopeful that Venli will help Lift escape, and think there's an outside shot of Rlain connecting (Connecting?) Venli and Kaladin.

Kaladin has had probably the roughest time here. The nightmares that Moash/Odium are sending him are getting worse to the point that Dabbid thought he was going to have to go fight. Dabbid also said the words, shame the tower was on such a hardcore lockdown that it probably wasn't possible for anything to happen there. Also, I wanted to see Dalinar yeet himself around with the glove, and I'm not sure Kaladin was a suitable replacement. As Syl said, it wasn't all that funny watching this sad boy accidentally punch walls and get hosed up. Saying the Fourth Ideal seems almost necessary for him to do anything going forward, but Brandon has been dragging it out since sometime in the previous book so whatever.

I did like some of the lore dumps we got from Navani and Raboniel doing science, with the three Lights from three Shards, and then the Sibling having a combination of their parents to form Towerlight. I, like Navani, am definitely missing a huge piece of this puzzle here. Navani clearly thinks the not-quite-Voidlight sphere from Gavilar exploded when it was successfully combined with Stormlight, and that makes sense, but that also means her scientists figured it out. The end of the epigraphs talking about Intent when it comes to Light seems important at least, though I doubt it's as easy as telling the Light what to do, like an Awakener can do with Breaths.

Dalinar did actually do some cool stuff, like the Connection to Nale he made to see his history, and later getting to ride the storm like two years after Kaladin got to. He's also trying to figure out Taravangian, who ends up spilling out the crucial information to Szeth about Odium fearing Nightblood in the interludes. I absolutely cannot blame Szeth for seeing it as another trick, but unfortunately I think that'll cause some some issues since Taravangian is trying to do something right here.

The flashbacks are just a kick in the stomach to both Eshonai and Venli. They both did so much that furthered this whole war, but Venli was obviously manipulated by Axindweth. I think this new mystery woman is 100% a worldhopper, and I'm suspicious of her rings as being metalminds (possibly used Duralumin to manipulate her Connection to learn the listener language?), so I'm thinking she's a Terriswoman. Venli's new spren is sapient, so she's basically already a Regal before the term was used. I'm worried it's a corrupted honorspren given it's got the human form like Syl does, most of the other Radiant spren don't even appear in human form, but I'm not confident enough to pin it down.

It was nice to see Chiri-Chiri, though I'm very curious if the rhythm of Roshar she heard was meant for her specifically, or if it was a general warning. I also love that she just decided to start talking to Rysn and shock her. Best bug.

Progress so far:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Louisgod posted:

Seems like the perfect cosmere book to read to my kids given its innocence and charming characters.

UHHHHHHHHHH I hope you're not reading it to them blind, it doesn't seem like you've gotten smacked by the I'm just kidding, it's lovely all the way through

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Oh I haven’t read it to them yet and I’m a bit over halfway now and don’t want to hover over those spoilers, just in case, but I’ll come back when I run into what I’m guessing is pretty obvious

E: We’re almost done with Alcatraz book 6, then they want me to read them the two Kyoshi books, then I’ll try either Tress or Skyward.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

I think I generally understand the epigraphs here. I *think* it's Raboniel as the main text and likely Venli writing it as her scribe, and interjecting the undertexts.
I think this avoids spoilers, but it ended up skirting too close to them for me to be comfortable leaving it untagged: nobody's entirely sure who wrote the main text and who wrote the undertexts -- the text has two authors, but they seem to switch roles depending on the page.

quote:

The flashbacks are just a kick in the stomach to both Eshonai and Venli. They both did so much that furthered this whole war, but Venli was obviously manipulated by Axindweth. I think this new mystery woman is 100% a worldhopper, and I'm suspicious of her rings as being metalminds (possibly used Duralumin to manipulate her Connection to learn the listener language?), so I'm thinking she's a Terriswoman.
Yeah, the name should be a massive hint there. That's a Terris name, you're exactly right.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Reading Words of Radiance, and I think I get as mad as Kaladin does whenever Amaram appears. Also, a couple chapters into Part 3- but Holy Hell, Shallan has gone through so much. The fight with Assassin in White is particularly exciting. Whoa. And I thought a lot was happening in the Mistborn saga.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

Rhythm of War Part 3 (Chapter 44-72 & Part 3 Interludes)

Oh yeah, where the gently caress is Sja-anat to try and trip up Odium's plans?

:nsa:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’d been a bit slowed down in getting through the first set of interludes in WoR (because goddamn it’s a long hiatus from the main story) but I got to part 2 and Adolin’s duel where he just goes loving feral and beats the poo poo out of the guy and now I’m back in.

”DID I BREAK ANY RULES?” :krad:

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I’d been a bit slowed down in getting through the first set of interludes in WoR (because goddamn it’s a long hiatus from the main story) but I got to part 2 and Adolin’s duel where he just goes loving feral and beats the poo poo out of the guy and now I’m back in.

You and I are close to each other in story right now. I catch myself shouting at Kaladin way too much.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

virinvictus posted:

You and I are close to each other in story right now. I catch myself shouting at Kaladin way too much.

Yeah. I’m notoriously slow in moving through these SA books. Due to the size and pacing, I don’t feel the “edge of my seat” pull to obsessively churn through it like I do with most other Sanderson books. Also, I am doing the audiobooks and only listen while commuting. At most, I get through a few hours a week. And when these audiobooks are around 50 hours, it’s a long journey.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I’m notoriously slow in moving through these SA books. Due to the size and pacing, I don’t feel the “edge of my seat” pull to obsessively churn through it like I do with most other Sanderson books. Also, I am doing the audiobooks and only listen while commuting. At most, I get through a few hours a week. And when these audiobooks are around 50 hours, it’s a long journey.

Yep we know

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

And when these audiobooks are around 50 hours, it’s a long journey.
It comes before the destination.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Barreft posted:

Yep we know

Have I done something to personally offend you? This isn't the first time you've come in to make pithy snipes at my posts. If there's something about my posting that upsets you, please let me know.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

That sequence was so great. Adolin getting let off the leash, his own decision to make it as brutal and humiliating as possible, just being an absolute badass...
:discourse:

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Mordiceius posted:

Have I done something to personally offend you? This isn't the first time you've come in to make pithy snipes at my posts. If there's something about my posting that upsets you, please let me know.

Your safehand must be showing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I usually love long audiobooks but Stormlight definitely was a slog at time, I enjoyed it but my god the interludes and divergences felt much worse when they take 5 trips to work to get through. Not as bad as the GOT audiobooks, 20 straight minutes of a dude boringly describing banners and feasts.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I usually love long audiobooks but Stormlight definitely was a slog at time, I enjoyed it but my god the interludes and divergences felt much worse when they take 5 trips to work to get through. Not as bad as the GOT audiobooks, 20 straight minutes of a dude boringly describing banners and feasts.

Yeah. That's absolutely my situation and I've probably been unfair on The Way of Kings, at the very least, because of the way I've been listening to it. For some reason, driving is the perfect zen situation for me to listen to audiobooks. My wife can listen to them while working or gaming and poo poo, but I can't. I end up getting far too distracted and focused on what I'm doing and forget to listen. Driving is takes the perfect amount of focus where I enjoy listening to audiobooks.

But yeah, that situation happened to me with this first set of Words of Radiance interludes. I've looked at the later interludes in this book and they're all much shorter, but this first set was nearly 2.5 hours in the audiobook. That would be nearly a week of my commutes to get through it, assuming I'm not taking any calls or listening to music. Then I fall in a trap that since I've already reached a "pause" in the story, I end up taking a brief hiatus in general from the book.

IDK. I've got weird listening habits with these Stormlight books due to their pacing. His other books never felt this slow in audiobook form, but since they're a bit more condensed in format, you have a lot more stuff happening frequently. With Stormlight, sometimes 2-3 weeks of listening is just "a bunch of people talked and nothing really happened."

Tokelau All Star posted:

Your safehand must be showing.

Hah! It is funny what offends you air-sick lowlanders.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 29, 2023

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
330 pages into Yumi so far and I’m loving it. I wish I had another 300 pages instead of 150. Gonna post some predictions and see if I get any right. Spoilers, obviously.

Thinking Yumi and Painter are actually on the same planet but in different cities OR Yumi is from the psst where her civilization is just discovering hion, and Painter has to help with the spirits to remove the nightmare shroud covering his city. If it’s not that then I’m stumped and am not sure where the launch is headed and if Yumi and Painter can get on it. I’m also stumped on how the magic system on the world(s) works; it feels like the first magic system that isn’t immediately explained. Also gonna guess Painter does eventually get into the Dreamwatchers or whatever the top tier crew is called.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

All I can say on the audiobook subject is that I can read much, much faster than anyone can talk, so I do not like audiobooks.

Louisgod posted:

330 pages into Yumi so far and I’m loving it. I wish I had another 300 pages instead of 150. Gonna post some predictions and see if I get any right. Spoilers, obviously.

Thinking Yumi and Painter are actually on the same planet but in different cities OR Yumi is from the psst where her civilization is just discovering hion, and Painter has to help with the spirits to remove the nightmare shroud covering his city. If it’s not that then I’m stumped and am not sure where the launch is headed and if Yumi and Painter can get on it. I’m also stumped on how the magic system on the world(s) works; it feels like the first magic system that isn’t immediately explained. Also gonna guess Painter does eventually get into the Dreamwatchers or whatever the top tier crew is called.
Those are good guesses! It’s definitely where Sanderson wants you to be at.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I mean, pretty much anyone can read way faster than speech. Audiobooks are nice because you can "read" a book while doing other tasks, such as commuting or cleaning or cooking. And if it's well-made enough, the performance adds a lot to the text.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Louisgod posted:

I'm about where you are. I'm thinking Yumi and Painter need to combine with the other's spirit version on both worlds to become the super magic artists they need to be to defeat their respective foes.

You have a good idea though, the scholars' machine might be inadvertently pulling up the shroud by ripping spirits apart to make accessible hion, creating the conditions on Painter's world.

I really like it so far. I am kind of annoyed by the constant narrator asides, i.e. "This is just like X on Roshar/Scadrial!"

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 29, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I usually get the audio book at midnight and listen until I pick up a physical copy in the morning. Then binge read until I finish it while listening whenever I have to drive or can't read.

Then I do it a second time to enjoy the foreshadowing because I'm a crazy person who loves rereading

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm about where you are. I'm thinking Yumi and Painter need to combine with the other's spirit version on both worlds to become the super magic artists they need to be to defeat their respective foes.

You have a good idea though, the scholars' machine might be inadvertently pulling up the shroud by ripping spirits apart to make accessible hion, creating the conditions on Painter's world.

I really like it so far. I am kind of annoyed by the constant narrator asides, i.e. "This is just like X on Roshar/Scadrial!"

RE: Narrator issues in Yumi
For being a stand alone/first novel of a new world, Brando really went heavy on the Proper Nouns without any sort of background to them. While it's fine for people who are mostly Invested in the Cosmere, I want to be able to share these books outside of my normal tiny circle of fantasy reading friends and it really puts a damper on it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

pointlessone posted:

RE: Narrator issues in Yumi
For being a stand alone/first novel of a new world, Brando really went heavy on the Proper Nouns without any sort of background to them. While it's fine for people who are mostly Invested in the Cosmere, I want to be able to share these books outside of my normal tiny circle of fantasy reading friends and it really puts a damper on it.

I feel the same way, I want to read Yumi and Tress to my kids but it's going to be tough to explain these parts but whatever

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Taffer posted:

I mean, pretty much anyone can read way faster than speech. Audiobooks are nice because you can "read" a book while doing other tasks, such as commuting or cleaning or cooking. And if it's well-made enough, the performance adds a lot to the text.

I work as a sous chef at a gold mine pit kitchen. Audiobooks and podcasts make the 12 hour shifts pass by with ease.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Whenever I get into a new audiobook my place gets very very clean as I just kinda wander around looking for menial stuff to do while I listen.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Louisgod posted:

I feel the same way, I want to read Yumi and Tress to my kids but it's going to be tough to explain these parts but whatever

I know that at least one of my friends would adore Yumi because part of the inspiration is one of her favorite games, and another's kid is going down the nerdy path and loves The Princess Bride.

"Here's this book I know you'll really enjoy, and here's the two shelves of related universe you'll need to have passing knowledge of, just in order to remotely understand what on earth happened at the end."

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Well that’s why you gotta hook ‘em with Mistborn or something first and once they’re all in on the cosmere, you bully them relentlessly to finish the 20+ books.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Ha, I'll try slipping the kid a copy of Warbreaker next time I see 'em

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Rhythm of War Part 4 (Chapter 73-97 & Part 4 Interludes)

Kalak gets to do some epigraphs! Kind of a morbid "You've murdered me, now go do this thing for an Unmade, please" tone to it though. And really wild that Heralds (and later in the chapter Fused) can actually be truly killed. I had doubted that before, but the knife turning his spren/soul/cognitive shadow basically mortal so it ends up dissapating was wild. Given what the Sibling mentioned about what she felt when Ba-Ado-Mishram was trapped, releasing that Unmade does have to happen for sure.

Eshonai and Venli had a lot going on in these flashbacks, from more gaslighting from Ulim, to Axindweth disappearing because another worldhopper (possibly Terris person?) outing her, to Nale using his status to push Venli towards starting the war. And this dumbass (that's Nale) has the audacity to talk about the poo poo others have done. Wild. Rlain and Thude show up in the flashbacks too. I really thought Thude was dead, but he's probably OK, unless Venli leads Raboniel to him. And Rlain can hear the rhythms louder, which is really weird.

Eshonai yelled at god (the Stormfather) and a chasmfiend gave her a spren, it feels like this spren is described as a starspren, not a lightspren like Timbre, but I'm not sure either way. I haven't seen Eshonai's POV in the flashbacks after this moment, but Venli did see her fight during the battle on the Shattered Plains. I think we'll get more from Eshonai, after she fell into the chasm.

I am so happy that I was right about Maya. :allears: I figured it would possibly be in the form of a Nahel Bond, but the fact that she was strong and present enough to talk as a Deadeye really just evaporated that entire trial. I mean, the Restares = High Judge = Kalak reveal was one hell of a thing that I did not see coming, and Kalak seems to be a bit impulsive as a coping mechanism for not really knowing what he should be doing. And the honorspren Sekeir is a punk bitch who locked up a literal Herald the second Kalak looked like he might not do things the way Sekeir wanted. That's not honor as I know it, but of course they make their own honor now.

I also feel like I was close on Shallan's "Formless" identity. I thought it was Shallan's original identity pre-matricide, and the murder of her own "self" was the secret she was keeping. I did not piece together that Shallan would have (obviously now) had a prior Radiant spren. She had a Shardblade when she showed up, but only met Pattern in Kharbranth. At the time I didn't know enough about the different Ideals/Truths to realize the inconsistency there, and had accepted it as "OK" by the time I learned the rules. So Formless is basically just Shallan, but whole. It seems like Veil is gone, and Radiant and even "Shallan" will probably be folded into Formless/Shallan Prime eventually.

I do remember at some point someone (in universe) had a theory that Deadeyes could possibly be revived/recovered/brought back to life if their Radiant was still around. I think Shallan will do that, and I'm not sure if I want her to have two Radiant spren or if the original one will maybe scamper off to someone else. Spren are strange, and don't always make the decisions I think they will. Hell, Pattern is doing all sorts of odd things. He chose to bond Shallan after she had already murdered a Cryptic, and then took the blame of being the weapon used to kill Shallan's mother. Now what happens with Kalak, and who actually was Sixteen? The name makes me think of Scadrial but I can't make any reasoned connection there.

And then there's the fact that Maya told everyone that actually the Radiant spren were in on the whole thing. There was never a betrayal. My prior understanding was that the Radiants realized they were fighting on the "wrong" team, as humans weren't native to Roshar. I could see honorspren maybe going with this, but all the other orders? Maybe they were worried about something worse, I'm not sure what to think about this quite yet. Maybe Syl will remember more if Brandon ever allows Kaladin to achieve more Ideals.

On the other side of the Realms, Navani and Raboniel instantly made scientific progress when they worked together. Not sure if they really absorbed the lesson there, as Raboniel just kept breaking promises, and Navani kept more secrets. And, I really gotta say, the whole concept that anti-Voidlight is basically just what we would consider active noise cancelling, and Navani was able to manually produce that by shaving a weird musical block thing, this whole "Light is actually light, power, solid, gas, and sound" is all very silly. Just incredibly silly. It's so many things that the rules just Are. I get that it's Investiture and we've seen that in different forms, but there's so many ways to manipulate it now that the rules are just whatever Brandon needs them to be. But really what happened is that Intent matters and Navani intended to make anti-Voidlight so she did. Ta-da. Please do not try and explain it to me further. It Just Works. Cool use of the Taldain sand as a measurement device though.

Sucks that Navani just made The Bomb though, and now Raboniel is going to try and use it to actually murder Radiant spren. If she's successful and word gets out, I can see that getting all the honorspren to very quickly decide to fight. The threat of Literal Genocide has to be a good motivator, right? Hell, even the highspren and lightspren might be swayed.

Lirin is still being a self-righteous shitweasel, and I'm glad Hesina is trying to help him see a different way, but I just cannot bring myself to care about him.

I was a little confused at first about Wit entering Kaladin's Connection-fueled dreams sent by Moash, but I imagine that With also does have a Connection to Kaladin, and would be able to strengthen it in some way? Either way I love Wit's Cryptic. She's a gem. I think she and Syl should meet. They'd cause so much chaos. Chiri-Chiri could be their to-scale dragon.

And hey, Venli, Rlain, and Dabbid decide to free Lift and then they just do that. Nothing goes wrong and Lift is able to not only heal Kaladin, but also help Teft wake up. Given what Raboniel plans to do, I hope that Lift can wake up the other Radiants, I'm really hoping this is what is going on in the Adin Interlude when "something" is happening in the Atrium. Some kind of distraction to allow Lift into the infirmary. I'm glad Rlain expressed the concern that Raboniel wanted Venli to lead them to Thude and the others from the Last Legion, because yeah Raboniel is a promise breaker and will just have them all slaughtered. I hope Venli turns around to help save the Radiants, I'll be quite happy if we get a few Radiants saying new Ideals/Truths here, but Brandon has been stingy about them in the past.

Sja-anat shows up finally! And she's with Taravangian, trying to help him with some plot to put Szeth, Nightblood, and Odium in a room together. I love it when new plans show up, can't wait to see the disaster that comes from this one though.

Progress so far:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I really need to read all of Stormlight again, reading all the spoilers is making me realize I've forgotten almost all the nuanced details and am gonna be super lost once SA5 comes out.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

pik_d posted:

And then there's the fact that Maya told everyone that actually the Radiant spren were in on the whole thing. There was never a betrayal. My prior understanding was that the Radiants realized they were fighting on the "wrong" team, as humans weren't native to Roshar. I could see honorspren maybe going with this, but all the other orders? Maybe they were worried about something worse, I'm not sure what to think about this quite yet.

This is mentioned at least briefly in Oathbringer: Realizing that humans were the invaders was part of it, but another part is the implication that unchecked use of Surgebinding somehow caused a planetary disaster on humanity's previous world, which is what forced them to come to Roshar in the first place.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Anshu posted:

This is mentioned at least briefly in Oathbringer: Realizing that humans were the invaders was part of it, but another part is the implication that unchecked use of Surgebinding somehow caused a planetary disaster on humanity's previous world, which is what forced them to come to Roshar in the first place.

I had forgotten about that second part, but does being part of Radiant Orders count as checking their powers? I assumed the stuff on Ashyn was just a bunch of hopped up Surge junkies going at it against each other.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

pik_d posted:

I had forgotten about that second part, but does being part of Radiant Orders count as checking their powers? I assumed the stuff on Ashyn was just a bunch of hopped up Surge junkies going at it against each other.

Well yes, that's what happens when you Kill the Supreme Dragon and there's no dragon left to wish the goddamn planet back after Goku's latest enemy blows it up. Again.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Louisgod posted:

Well that’s why you gotta hook ‘em with Mistborn or something first and once they’re all in on the cosmere, you bully them relentlessly to finish the 20+ books.

I'm still trying to bully the person who got me into Sanderson in the first place to read Rhythm of War!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Echophonic posted:

I'm still trying to bully the person who got me into Sanderson in the first place to read Rhythm of War!

I’m trying to get my buddy who got me into Sanderson to finish the last three Secret Projects, it’s kinda funny I’m ahead of him at this point. We’re all playing D&D next weekend so I plan to give him crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

pik_d posted:

I had forgotten about that second part, but does being part of Radiant Orders count as checking their powers?

It might! But remember that Heralds told everyone that they had achieved permanent victory on Roshar and there would be no more cycle of Desolations, and that the Radiants had just defeated the False Desolation by imprisoning Ba-Ado-Mishram; the Orders had good reason to believe their powers were no longer necessary to protect the world and its people, and then learned that their powers might pose some kind of long-term danger. Safer to just abandon their powers altogether—especially since nobody seems to have realized that imprisoning BAM would force spren into becoming deadeyes once the Radiant Bonds were broken.