Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The difficulty there is that generally police departments use dedicated machines back at the station to give breathalyzer tests now -- and those machines are back at the station, which means you gotta get arrested first.

You'd think they'd let you go and drop the charge, but, no, once they've arrested you, the cop ain't gonna just drop it. I have absolutely had DUI clients who blew 0.0 and the cop still tried to prosecute the case (usually by claiming the defendant was on drugs or impaired by something not alcohol).

I suppose you do the best you can when met with dead wrong, absolutely certain, donkey stubbornness. Who is also armed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Depends on the situation and your local state law. Generally you have a right to refuse because of the 5th amendment, but sometimes they will ask for a warrant for a blood draw (if there's an accident, etc.).

I think one of my coworkers had a case once where someone requested a blood draw be done and it wasn't, but I don't remember what happened with that. At least you'd have yourself demanding a blood test on camera.

Also to what standard are PDs required to maintain their analytical equipment? I would hope it was NIST standards.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Depends on the situation and your local state law. Generally you have a right to refuse because of the 5th amendment, but sometimes they will ask for a warrant for a blood draw (if there's an accident, etc.).

I think one of my coworkers had a case once where someone requested a blood draw be done and it wasn't, but I don't remember what happened with that. At least you'd have yourself demanding a blood test on camera.

It's been ages since I have done a DUI but in Alaska the cop refusing to take you to a requested blood draw means the breathalyzer gets suppressed. The blood draw is your opportunity to challenge the accuracy of the breath test so something something confrontation clause suppression.

Also refusal to do either is a separate crime that has the exact same penalties as DUI and isn't merged after conviction.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I have absolutely had DUI clients who blew 0.0 and the cop still tried to prosecute the case (usually by claiming the defendant was on drugs or impaired by something not alcohol).

Did any of them get convicted?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Also to what standard are PDs required to maintain their analytical equipment? I would hope it was NIST standards.

I wish I could find the article but at one point cops were still using a portable breathalyzer that had been stuck by lightning without recalibrating it. There is rarely a calibration requirement at all.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I once argued that a breathalyzer was inaccurate and you couldn’t trust the readings on them. My wife didn’t buy it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
what did she wind up going with then?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Skunkduster posted:

Did any of them get convicted?

This was during covid so those cases got put off and I was reassigned so I never saw final results. I'd have fought for dismissal for the case with no other indicators and maybe a reckless plea for the ones where the cop said he smelt weed / they found weed in the car.

Leviathan Song posted:

I wish I could find the article but at one point cops were still using a portable breathalyzer that had been stuck by lightning without recalibrating it. There is rarely a calibration requirement at all.

My state has the records for each machine online and you can check when the machines were calibrated, but our statute was written by a defense attorney.

EwokEntourage posted:

I once argued that a breathalyzer was inaccurate and you couldn’t trust the readings on them. My wife didn’t buy it

I did a 3 day cle on dui defense back in 2019 and one whole day was attacking breathalyzer results. It can be done but you basically have to go "computers, am i right?" and then attack either the cop for administering the test wrong or the machine being broken.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 24, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This was during covid so those cases got put off and I was reassigned so I never saw final results. I'd have fought for dismissal for the case with no other indicators and maybe a reckless plea for the ones where the cop said he smelt weed / they found weed in the car.

My state has the records for each machine online and you can check when the machines were calibrated, but our statute was written by a defense attorney.

I did a 3 day cle on dui defense back in 2019 and one whole day was attacking breathalyzer results. It can be done but you basically have to go "computers, am i right?" and then attack either the cop for administering the test wrong or the machine being broken.

How often does this work? I remember advice from decades ago on beating a speeding ticket that said you should ask for certification records for the radar gun, along with other similar things. Is that actually something that goes anywhere? Is it something that works if you're an attorney but does not if you're going without representation?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There are lots of cops that are bad at taking their annual radar gun certification test (or whatever) that technically invalidate tickets if you catch it. There are even lots of judges that care if a cop hosed that up. If you put all your chips on that defense in a random county in america, it MIGHT work!

If there is an easy fix like that in your case, that is what the local traffic lawyer gets paid to know, yeah

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Discendo Vox posted:

what did she wind up going with then?

Got sentenced to 30 days

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Javid posted:

There are lots of cops that are bad at taking their annual radar gun certification test (or whatever) that technically invalidate tickets if you catch it. There are even lots of judges that care if a cop hosed that up. If you put all your chips on that defense in a random county in america, it MIGHT work!

If there is an easy fix like that in your case, that is what the local traffic lawyer gets paid to know, yeah
The last speeding ticket I got (~10 years ago) I called the county courthouse to tell them I was going 10 over instead of 11 over since that would have significantly reduced the fines. The clerk said I had the right to either pay the ticket or take it to court. I had already admitted to the clerk I was only hoping to get the ticket 1 mpg lower so, so I asked how to schedule a hearing and the clerk just said "I can't let you do that because it will be a waste of the judges time."

To that extent, I wonder what I could have done differently? I think I might have had more success if I simply said the cop was lieing and I was not speeding at all. I was ready to tell the judge about certifications and margin of error of radar guns but the clerk refused to schedule me a court date. What could I have done with this? Can the court clerks legally refuse to schedule court dates like this?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Volmarias posted:

How often does this work? I remember advice from decades ago on beating a speeding ticket that said you should ask for certification records for the radar gun, along with other similar things. Is that actually something that goes anywhere? Is it something that works if you're an attorney but does not if you're going without representation?

Ish. Most of the time I didn't work low level speeding ticket cases because those can't result in jailtime and you only get appointed a pd in cases where jailtime is a possibility.

Sometimes I'd have a case where the speeding had been probable cause for something else. In those cases yeah they'd generally hand over all those certificates in discovery, but if they did not it wouldn't help much because the question was probable cause and they were in fact probably speeding in the subjective view of the officer at the time. And who cares about the speeding itself because if they found a pound of weed in your car the speeding ticket is the least of your worries.

More substantively the way it worked locally for basic speeding with nothing else going on was people would have a first court date where they could show up if they wanted to. Usually the cop would let them knock the ticket downa tier if they asked nicely and gave a reason.

Otherwise yeah you can hire a lawyer to help with a speeding ticket but why? It will usually cost more for the lawyer than just paying the ticket, unless you're already in a bad situation with your insurance.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ok, this sort of mirrors my experiences. From my Various Moving Violations, the prosecutor usually has an open door before court begins, and is willing to offer simple plea deals. E.g. drop the crime that would give points on your 2 points on your license for a Reckless Driving if you plead guilty, lower price for you overall for an administrative thing, they get the polity more money and they have less work to do.

I did actually hire a lawyer for a More Serious But Not Criminal Moving Violation (think of 24mph over, close enough). They did the same sort of deal, which was, including the lawyer bill still cheaper overall than the original thing. I wasn't confident I could get a result as good as that one, so I was still happy overall. Auto insurance in NJ is far more expensive than elsewhere, so I was much more interested in removing the points.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Have you considered slowing down

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

EwokEntourage posted:

Gotta go fast

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

If I walked into a reasonably high profile / successful lawyer's office, asked him to be my lawyer, and -- when he asks for his retainer fee -- I dump $5,000 USD on his desk in random 10s and 20s. Would that lawyer accept it? Is there anything in their code of ethics which says that if they suspect the money being used to pay them is lawfully-obtained?

Yes, yes, even Pablo Escobar had a lawyer, but let's imagine this is just some no-name town and a no-name person.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

No.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

null_pointer posted:

If I walked into a reasonably high profile / successful lawyer's office, asked him to be my lawyer, and -- when he asks for his retainer fee -- I dump $5,000 USD on his desk in random 10s and 20s. Would that lawyer accept it? Is there anything in their code of ethics which says that if they suspect the money being used to pay them is lawfully-obtained?

Yes, yes, even Pablo Escobar had a lawyer, but let's imagine this is just some no-name town and a no-name person.

Depends. Did you ask me to defend your cash only vending machine business, your strip joint or laundromat? I dunno, I'd have to see your tax returns and monthly cash deposit receipts..

Did you ask me to defend you in a money laundering trial? Then I would decline, as to the very real possibility that the funds were part of a crime which in addition to being against statutory attorney law (we codified ethics with actual laws starting this year) and ethics (we also made more ethics), is also straight up illegal. Attorneys are regularly approached about aiding money laundering because people would love to use an attorney client account to pay money through, as it is always impossible to trace funds through attorney-client privilege. Of course, it's still not too hard to detect, so once they can prove shenanigans, that privilege evaporates and you go down with whatever frontman of a frontman of a frontman the launderer used.

Bad deal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
When I did criminal defense, we got paid in stacks of cash all the time. Granted we never handled any money laundering charges.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
At least in the US, people who are accused of crimes are legally innocent unless they are found guilty of that crime. Innocent people accused of crimes have the right to defend themselves by employing an attorney to defend them.

Just don't be stupid about it.

We're looking at you, F. Lee Bailey.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

When I did criminal defense, we got paid in stacks of cash all the time. Granted we never handled any money laundering charges.

How many of these stacks of cash would you describe as "fat"?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Volmarias posted:

How many of these stacks of cash would you describe as "fat"?

Lots. It was enough cash that my boss hated dealing with it. She’d walk into her associates’ offices and drop anywhere between $1-4k on our desk, and tell us to email the bookkeeper that we got a cash advance for whatever amount. It saved her from having to fill out extra paperwork at the bank or any additional fees they charged her for frequent >$10k deposits of cash.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
1-That really sounds like structuring, am I missing something?
2-Banks charge you for depositing over $10k? Is that just for the paperwork?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Remulak posted:

If it was someone trying to hide money, it would be. In this case it’s a lawyer depositing fees earned.

There isn’t an issue with money laundering in this case because there’s no return of funds to anyone. We weren’t being paid a retainer or holding money in trust. Our fee agreement for criminal representation makes it clear that the fee is earned by the attorney up front and due immediately. This is bog standard in my state.

Commercial banks will charge for all sorts of things for business accounts. If you’re routinely bringing in a lot of cash, some banks will charge you for dealing with it. My boss felt it was easier/cheaper just to pay associates with the cash. It was all still taxed and reported to the IRS.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Remulak posted:

Not if the cash deposit per case actually is 1-4k usd, then depositing as you go is just smart managment. If it's splitting up a huge deposit it isn't great. But I assume that wouldn't be the case, so the name of the game is just not stacking deposits.

Banks charge for anything over 1000$ where I live, and you also have to fill out a paper form stating the source of the funds for money laundering purposes.

Digital money laundering is a lot easier.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

If it was someone trying to hide money, it would be. In this case it’s a lawyer depositing fees earned.

There isn’t an issue with money laundering in this case because there’s no return of funds to anyone. We weren’t being paid a retainer or holding money in trust. Our fee agreement for criminal representation makes it clear that the fee is earned by the attorney up front and due immediately. This is bog standard in my state.

Commercial banks will charge for all sorts of things for business accounts. If you’re routinely bringing in a lot of cash, some banks will charge you for dealing with it. My boss felt it was easier/cheaper just to pay associates with the cash. It was all still taxed and reported to the IRS.

Were there impacts on insurance due to having significant fat stacks on premises?
Seems like additional risk.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Remulak posted:

It depends. I have withdrawn well over $10k from a bank for a cash purchase of a trailer (the seller was an idiot that refused to take a certified check).

There was a lot more paperwork but it was fine; I had a clear purpose for it and you can follow the trail to the registration change.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

B33rChiller posted:

Were there impacts on insurance due to having significant fat stacks on premises?
Seems like additional risk.

She didn’t have cash on hand. She’d deposit cash or pay us advances.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

She didn’t have cash on hand. She’d deposit cash or pay us advances.

Smart. Far smarter than I, apparently.

Where'd I leave my eggnog?
:cheersbird:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Remulak posted:

Banks have to report cash deposits over 10k, I think withdrawals also. One of the many crimes that Republican congressperson who touched kids (I know, which one, can’t remember his name) was withdrawing under that amount repeatedly to avoid reporting, to pay off a victim.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Banks have to report cash deposits over 10k, I think withdrawals also. One of the many crimes that Republican congressperson who touched kids (I know, which one, can’t remember his name) was withdrawing under that amount repeatedly to avoid reporting, to pay off a victim.

Yes. This is called structuring, and is part of money laundering laws. People who play poker in casinos run into it all the time. Most casinos will now actively try to prevent their customers from making sequences of in and out transactions that look like structuring even if they're actually not, because casinos are high on the fed's radar for money laundering already.

Occasionally random people get told at a bank "if you deposit that $12k you'll have to fill out this form that reports it to the feds," be mad about the paperwork or the gubmint being too nosy etc., deposit half that day and half the next day or half in one bank and half in a different bank etc., and then find themselves under criminal investigation. To be specific, the structuring itself is against the law, even if you had no intent to launder money. It is a felony punishable with substantial fines and potentially prison time.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Those "suspicious activity reports" are big fat nothing burgers. They're standard paperwork that goes nowhere and means nothing unless the target is already under some other money laundering investigation. I used to do white collar stuff, have been trained on those reports, and have used them. They're basically only good for astute public defenders filling motions to compel which confound idiot prosecutors. If a case is at a stage to get the SARs it's at a stage where the cops have all your back account records already from the bank directly.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

BigHead posted:

Those "suspicious activity reports" are big fat nothing burgers. They're standard paperwork that goes nowhere and means nothing unless the target is already under some other money laundering investigation. I used to do white collar stuff, have been trained on those reports, and have used them. They're basically only good for astute public defenders filling motions to compel which confound idiot prosecutors. If a case is at a stage to get the SARs it's at a stage where the cops have all your back account records already from the bank directly.

For clean money, they're no biggie.
Where's this money from? Wages, I work on a ship. Got anything to back that up? Yeah, here’s my paystubs. OK cool, sign here.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Main Character Syndrome itt.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

BigHead posted:

One of the main objectives of laws like that is to make it so fuzzy hard to prove crimes necessarily involve committing a bunch of easier to prove crimes that you can use for warrants or plea bargains.

"Maybe we can convince a jury about these money laundering charges and maybe we can't. We can probably convince them these 10 $9999 deposits and withdrawals across adjacent days are structuring though"

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
So, if Trump gets kept off the ballot by the Supreme Court in Colorado, what does that do? Would his votes just not get counted (I assume contrary assholes would just write him in)?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

sleepy.eyes posted:

So, if Trump gets kept off the ballot by the Supreme Court in Colorado, what does that do? Would his votes just not get counted (I assume contrary assholes would just write him in)?

If Colorado were the difference between Trump winning the GOP nomination and not, I imagine the convention would select him anyway.

Then there would probably be another lawsuit over keeping him off the general ballot.

If he somehow won as a write-in candidate (he wouldn't even win Colorado if he were on the general ballot), there would probably be another lawsuit trying to avoid awarding him electors.

My opinion is that SCOTUS stays out of the Trump disqualification state elections matters until and unless a decision could be determinative of Trump winning the general election, then they step in to give him the win.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ulmont posted:

It depends. I have withdrawn well over $10k from a bank for a cash purchase of a trailer (the seller was an idiot that refused to take a certified check).

There was a lot more paperwork but it was fine; I had a clear purpose for it and you can follow the trail to the registration change.

They like to have advance notice of this too since they manage their cash flow to avoid having too much cash on hand. They do not like when you take $10K of their $15K on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do any of the other states have any recompense against Abbott's migrant scheme other than hoping the Feds get off their rear end? If the New York AG or whoever determines Abbott is human trafficking migrants, what are some options? How does jurisdiction work? Is it where the migrants depart from or where they arrive?

I doubt troopers can arrest an out of state governor, but something has to give