Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if those two throne room guards had any idea what was even happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Solus is able to keep the house of cards from falling apart because he's an evil ghost wizard but it seems clear the Garleans are doing the fascism for all the normal reasons and he just gave them guns. Now if they had Solus using mind control powers on Varis then it'd be really terrible

Rhonne posted:

I like to think he does this every day just because it's a hoot and they just gave up thinking about it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sanguinia posted:

My objection wasn't to Solus making the Empire, it was to what Shadowhunter said, the implication that the reason the Empire is so bad is because Solus, an Ascian, made it, rather than because... its an Empire and Empires are always bad. He literally says "They have no interest in ruling, they just want to sew discord," and the unspoken part of that sentiment is "if they did have an interest in ruling the Empire would be fine and these things wouldn't happen."

Again, I'm guessing that Shadowhunter feels that way because, you know, he's a Garlean soldier. He doesn't want to face the idea that even if there were no Ascians the Empire would still be bad. Hopefully the story will play that out and the notion that the Empire would be good without Ascians, especially the one that made it, will be rightly mocked.

Yeah his stance and reasoning as well as the nature of the garlean imperial project sans ascian will get touched on.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GloomMouse posted:

Solus is able to keep the house of cards from falling apart because he's an evil ghost wizard but it seems clear the Garleans are doing the fascism for all the normal reasons and he just gave them guns. Now if they had Solus using mind control powers on Varis then it'd be really terrible

Yeah Varis is a genocidal fascist in his own right, and his son is a huge rear end in a top hat, but given their family history, they didn't have many chances to turn out differently.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Remember that 4.4 is also the patch where the last wing of the Omega raid dropped. They were firing on all cylinders.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rhonne posted:

When you've got a family like Varis', you retain personal guards who aren't bothered by seeing some wild poo poo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pyro Jack posted:

Here comes a special boy~

Also, here's a video of the moment Y'shtola killed a man. There's some kind of imposter who isn't Kheris but is claiming to be the WoL in it, but its a moment that really deserves to be seen in all its glory.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

1stGear posted:

Also, here's a video of the moment Y'shtola killed a man. There's some kind of imposter who isn't Kheris but is claiming to be the WoL in it, but its a moment that really deserves to be seen in all its glory.

I just love how you can see Y'shtola consider her words, carefully thinks the situation over, clearly weighing all the possible consequences, diplomatic and personal...

... And then just chooses violence.

Also full credit to the animation team, because you can spot the exact moment that Magnai the Maidenless' soul leaves his body.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't forget she chooses to leave by just annoyedly walking *Between* the two most deadly warriors on the steppe facing eachother down, weapons drawn.

Rhonne posted:

They don't even flinch as the Emperor shoots the founding father and instead just boredly watch his corpse roll down the stairs. They've likely been dealing with that for a while.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 23, 2023

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Solus' model might be quite different from his art design of an old man, but there is still connection. There's a paint you can get of some of the empire folk of Stormblood, and Old Man Solus is on it, and the eyes are still the same as this model.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That white highlight in his hair like a cartoon skunk, he's like Pepé Le Pew but instead of love he's looking for calamity

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

As far as "created by evil wizard ghosts to suck" thing, basically the only way Garlemald is atypically poo poo (in empire terms) is that we now know its political structure was probably deliberately unstable—Solus could have actually made one of his descendants as crown prince at any point and deliberately chose not to, and as an evil immortal ghost wizard he definitely knew the ramifications of combining "every yae in the family at once is a valid option" and "only respecting military might (at least by the end of his reign)".

He probably didn't actively plan to have Varis win the war of succession, but I doubt he would have a harder time being just as evil ghost wizard (theater kid edition) to one of his sons so the victor likely just didn't matter.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Like Clockwork posted:

As far as "created by evil wizard ghosts to suck" thing, basically the only way Garlemald is atypically poo poo (in empire terms) is that we now know its political structure was probably deliberately unstable—Solus could have actually made one of his descendants as crown prince at any point and deliberately chose not to, and as an evil immortal ghost wizard he definitely knew the ramifications of combining "every yae in the family at once is a valid option" and "only respecting military might (at least by the end of his reign)".

He probably didn't actively plan to have Varis win the war of succession, but I doubt he would have a harder time being just as evil ghost wizard (theater kid edition) to one of his sons so the victor likely just didn't matter.

Essentially, he saw a DBZA gag and thought it was a hilarious idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKKkGSmNVAs&t=31s

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Man, I can't believe they dropped The Burn and The Burn (Savage) in the same patch.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

When Sang did last year's (2022) Rising, I noticed she left out the Solus minion on account of not having met the character. If you go to your minion guide and hover over Solus, it has the "I should be the one who sighs!" line.

I tried convincing Sang to replace the first screenshot of Solus with this.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Being honest the "who was an Immortal Space Wizard" part of "A fucker who was an Immortal Space Wizard founded the nazis." completely slipped my mind.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 23, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
With Trusts and Duty Support it always annoys me that the healers can't raise me if I die in-battle. I mean, I can understand on a mechanical level, dying means you start over. But I know these losers can cast Raise. So I just have to imagine every time the Warrior of Light falls in battle all your friends freak out and carry you back to the entrance on a fainting couch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Being honest the "who was an Immortal Space Wizard" part of "A fucker who was an Immortal Space Wizard founded the nazis." completely slipped my mind.

This might be a good time to remind folks that, as much as we gush about the guy's character and style he is at least one Hitler. Maybe multiple depending on Allag and such.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The exact amount of Hitlers Solus is is a spoiler, but its definitely more than 1.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
he's a very weird fantasy hitler in that he thought "hmm whats a real lovely thing that will accomplish nefarious goals for me: oooh, imperialism! that poo poo sucks bad!"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Bruceski posted:

This might be a good time to remind folks that, as much as we gush about the guy's character and style he is at least one Hitler. Maybe multiple depending on Allag and such.

the Solus zos Galvus Hitler count is at two as of his introduction.

i think my favorite bit of the introduction is the "you fiends are overfond of your own voices." perfectly selling that this is not the first one of these conversations he has had, he knows that shooting his grandfather returned isn't going to do poo poo, and that the small satisfaction from putting one between grandpa's eyes is the only bright spot he's gonna get in this conversation. yes. i know. i'm the slave of ancient powers that created the throne I sit on as part of an elaborate gag at my and the whole world's expense. i'm still trying to spite you about it old man.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Something to be remembered in all of this is that, even absent any future revelations and only dealing with as much story as we have to this point, Garlemald is illustrative of the Ascians keeping as many irons in the fire as possible at all times, for as long as possible. Consider: Garlemald would not have survived intact to the beginning of another Calamity cycle to begin with, had the previous one gone off as they intended. Not a single soul would have predicted that Louisoix would actually prevent Primal Bahamut from wreaking unchecked devastation upon the world, and in fact do as much as possible to rejuvenate the damage that was done as he could manage. It was still a proper Rejoining, the Ascians' goal was met, and there was still major fallout from the Calamity, but all extant power structures were still in place - as far as we know, this is completely novel. There were always lingering remnants of prior civilizations, true, but even with all the continually unearthed and rediscovered Allagan technology (and survivors, as seen with Syrcus Tower) that remained potential Calamity fodder (Dalamud! The Warring Triad!), Allag itself wasn't really an empire that the Ascians could reuse as a tool.

This is certainly one reason they desire promoting general chaos - it leaves them many dangling threads to be picked up as convenient for their schemes. Nael's proposal to restart Project Meteor was personally approved by the Emperor...Solus. Knowing now that he was always an Ascian, there's no way he couldn't have known what Dalamud was capable of (especially after the first disaster that closed the project), so it follows that he was willing to sacrifice Garlemald even before the question of a successor would come up. Having leeway to continue to allow imperialism do what imperialism does afterwards was merely serendipity, as far as he sees it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think we should also recognize the sheer power of the Emperor's helmet and shoulder pauldrons. And Varis is already like 9 feet tall to begin with, you will never miss him in a crowd

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Rhonne posted:

Red oni: "Man, Zenos has been a real piece of poo poo since he went to the Colonies"
Blue oni: "I can't really tell the difference, tbh."

Red oni: "Oh gently caress, granddad is back."
Blue oni: "Oh god is he talking about Allag again and how things were better back in the 3rd Umbral Era, I don't want to look"

Red oni: "Looks like Emperor Varis shot another one"
Blue oni: "Man, that's coming out of our paycheck, isn't it"
Red oni, /too busy paging building management services to get a janitor out here to answer.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

I think we should also recognize the sheer power of the Emperor's helmet and shoulder pauldrons. And Varis is already like 9 feet tall to begin with, you will never miss him in a crowd

I'm not sure where the tendency of Japanese fantasy villains to have absurdly large armored pauldrons originated, but Varis proudly adheres to that tradition.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Maybe they were just trying to get the WoW crossover audience with all the shoulder pauldrons and plotted war crimes

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hogama posted:

Something to be remembered in all of this is that, even absent any future revelations and only dealing with as much story as we have to this point, Garlemald is illustrative of the Ascians keeping as many irons in the fire as possible at all times, for as long as possible. Consider: Garlemald would not have survived intact to the beginning of another Calamity cycle to begin with, had the previous one gone off as they intended. Not a single soul would have predicted that Louisoix would actually prevent Primal Bahamut from wreaking unchecked devastation upon the world, and in fact do as much as possible to rejuvenate the damage that was done as he could manage. It was still a proper Rejoining, the Ascians' goal was met, and there was still major fallout from the Calamity, but all extant power structures were still in place - as far as we know, this is completely novel. There were always lingering remnants of prior civilizations, true, but even with all the continually unearthed and rediscovered Allagan technology (and survivors, as seen with Syrcus Tower) that remained potential Calamity fodder (Dalamud! The Warring Triad!), Allag itself wasn't really an empire that the Ascians could reuse as a tool.

This is certainly one reason they desire promoting general chaos - it leaves them many dangling threads to be picked up as convenient for their schemes. Nael's proposal to restart Project Meteor was personally approved by the Emperor...Solus. Knowing now that he was always an Ascian, there's no way he couldn't have known what Dalamud was capable of (especially after the first disaster that closed the project), so it follows that he was willing to sacrifice Garlemald even before the question of a successor would come up. Having leeway to continue to allow imperialism do what imperialism does afterwards was merely serendipity, as far as he sees it.

this is a very nice touch, yes

Solus is a man with a lot of plans, and unlike a lot of master manipulator villains, they're clear that he does not bat 1000. if all had gone according to plan, the empire he was emperor of would currently be a smoking crater! but, now, several ages into whatever the Ascians are doing, he structures his plans so that if they go off without a hitch, hey, that's great, fantastic, and that if they fail, well, there's still this enormous empire sitting around keeping the oppress peoples->they pray for deliverance->they get beat down for summoning a primal->they pray even harder for deliverance cycle running. Project Meteor failed, and the consequences of its failure were not "all is lost" but rather "next time we take Crystal Mom's champions out of the picture and THEN we pull the trigger." which they successfully did, mind you!

the first moment something genuinely hosed with Ascians was when Thordan ate Lahabrea; up until that point everything was operating well within tolerances!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bruceski posted:

Farg posted:

he's a very weird fantasy hitler in that he thought "hmm whats a real lovely thing that will accomplish nefarious goals for me: oooh, imperialism! that poo poo sucks bad!"

Inventing modern (and ancient?) fascism to be a self-destructive engine in service of killing a talking rock is certainly an RPG motivation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Warcraft got the huge pauldrons and ludicrously long elf ears from Record of Lodoss War.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Farg posted:

Cause vs effect. I was referring to the attempted genocides.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

Maybe they were just trying to get the WoW crossover audience with all the shoulder pauldrons and plotted war crimes

Implying Warcraft inspired big pauldrons on a Final Fantasy villain is entering "WH40K is just riffing on Starcraft" territory. Unless :thejoke:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Runa posted:

Warcraft got the huge pauldrons and ludicrously long elf ears from Record of Lodoss War.

Now I'm laughing about the Parn Maneuver like I'm in college again. As I do every time Lodoss comes up. (Parn the fighter would charge at the enemy yelling, usually getting swatted aside. When he leveled up he still just did the same thing but it would actually hit.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The giant pauldrons are just the 14 art team trying to pull an FF9 and mimic Amano designs in a game as honestly as possible, while the rest of the pre-HD franchise knew exactly why this doesn't work and his art gets recontextualized every time it makes the trip into pixel or blocky people form.

Garlemald itself is basically Palmecia from FF2, wearing the steampunk drip of the FF6 Empire because the western audience digs FF6 so much. Palmecia even has the same "we used to be a gentle peaceful place and then turbo-accelerated into totalitarianism" arc hiding around the edges of the plot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In hindsight, IX's Garland does look remarkably similar to Old Man Solus.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Wanna agree with the others that the voice acting, with Ali, Zenos, and Solus specifically, is all utterly fantastic. I'm sure there's lots of reasons for people to keep the vocals in Japanese and read the subtitles, but they honestly are missing out here. And yeah, that entire throne scene managed to be equal parts shocking, intruiging, and absolutely hilarious. Varis just sighing, slinging up his revolver (where did it even come from???), blasting Grandpa Emperor in the face, and then another Grandpa Emperor just pops in again while the previous corpse cools in the background is insanely funny.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

In hindsight, IX's Garland does look remarkably similar to Old Man Solus.

I can see it.

I really like Old Man Solus's design in that concept art - something about the proportions and the huge beard/pauldrons/crown combo. Just a radically different body type to the majority of what we see in the game. Plus, how many visibly old characters do we get a chance to see?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah the post-ARR Eng VA is top notch and they really knock it out of the park from here on out.

My own use of JP audio is just inertia from the ARR days and it'd be weird for me to suddenly change some of these Scions' voices away from what I'm used to.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Really, the funniest bit that screenshots can’t convey is that after the shot, there’s just a solid 10 seconds of dramatic panning to Varis and his guards… while the sound of Solus’ body rolling down the steps just offscreen is in the background. And the BGM cuts out right after, so it’s the only thing you hear.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Solus :allears:

People getting called to who knows where :allears:

The Burn (Savage) :allears:

This is a good patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly based on everything we know about Solus even at present I feel like he designed the giant crown and ridiculous pauldrons specifically to be a giant pain in the rear end to anyone who would theoretically succeed him. Varis is probably mostly fine with it because he’s a giant wall of meat but I can’t imagine it’s comfortable.