Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yup, plus quite a few have different sponsorships so I suspect ads really don't bring much revenue for the creator, more for the platform than anything. YT, like any other large business, is using stupid manipulation tactics ("YoU'rE HuRtInG CrEaToRs") & they're failing because people see through the bullshit.

Not to mention that people get demonitized all the time. Some computer game guy mentioned in a video that there's a quota for the word "gently caress" beyond which you don't get ad revenue. Also pretty much anything that does media criticism (film reviews, game reviews, etc) is liable to get copyright claimed even if it's fair use.

The tl;dr as I understand it is that for huge swaths of the YT ecosystem the ad revenue is way too unreliable to base an income off of. Hence everyone and their dog selling mouse pads and getting a sponsorship from lovely wallets and ball shaving companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not to mention that people get demonitized all the time. Some computer game guy mentioned in a video that there's a quota for the word "gently caress" beyond which you don't get ad revenue. Also pretty much anything that does media criticism (film reviews, game reviews, etc) is liable to get copyright claimed even if it's fair use.

The tl;dr as I understand it is that for huge swaths of the YT ecosystem the ad revenue is way too unreliable to base an income off of. Hence everyone and their dog selling mouse pads and getting a sponsorship from lovely wallets and ball shaving companies.

the smartest way to treat YT money is like icing on top of an income from elsewhere (sponsor, merch, side business, day job, Patreon, etc)

I legitimately don't know how the people in the 50k-1 million subscriber range who don't have alternate income streams do it, beyond 'my spouse/partner/family member is the primary breadwinner'

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

trilobite terror posted:

the smartest way to treat YT money is like icing on top of an income from elsewhere (sponsor, merch, side business, day job, Patreon, etc)

I legitimately don't know how the people in the 50k-1 million subscriber range who don't have alternate income streams do it, beyond 'my spouse/partner/family member is the primary breadwinner'

I suspect there's a lot of people who already have their income taken care of from other sources, yes. One of the really big mega YT guys (mr beast I think?) was basically a rich fail-son who's dad basically just financed is YT hobby until he eventually snowballed enough to be legitimately rich on his own.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

don't know about mr beast but that's definitely the pewdiepie story

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mr Beast I think was already decently off as a marketing guy, and he's one of a bunch of guys who went to Youtube with a marketing background and played the algorithm like a fiddle.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cyrano4747 posted:

I suspect there's a lot of people who already have their income taken care of from other sources, yes. One of the really big mega YT guys (mr beast I think?) was basically a rich fail-son who's dad basically just financed is YT hobby until he eventually snowballed enough to be legitimately rich on his own.

I'd wager there's a few that got lucky with early days crypto. I sure wish I'd left my PC mining buttcoins during the day back when I was at university and not paying for electricity.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's also crazy how north america-centric the (american) internet is, as much as people like to talk about how it's "democratizing" and "connecting" the world

this cool thing just rolled out? oh it's only available to north american users - and if you're lucky, uk+ger+spain+france

i remember when twitch started and i had my 10/1 upload that wasn't going to stream jack. it's a bummer how much privilege still decides how you make it on the internet, and that's before getting into gender and race

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Mr Beast I think was already decently off as a marketing guy, and he's one of a bunch of guys who went to Youtube with a marketing background and played the algorithm like a fiddle.

nah mr beast just started churning out youtube slop when he was 14 years old and never stopped until he found a formula that blew up

if you scroll back through his channel you can see him iterating through different forms of Content for 11 years until something stuck

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I do sort of wonder how much of youtube is effectively invisible to us because it's content being made in another language. Is there a French Mr Beast? an Asian GamersNexus? LatinoTechTips?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I do sort of wonder how much of youtube is effectively invisible to us because it's content being made in another language. Is there a French Mr Beast? an Asian GamersNexus? LatinoTechTips?

there was that whole feud where pewdiepie fought (and lost) to hold the #1 most subscribed channel position against an indian channel that was basically unknown to english speaking viewers before then

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

repiv posted:

billion dollar idea: use AI to insert product placement into existing videos

you hit a mid-roll and steve nexus is suddenly holding a delicious coca cola in an 8 fingered hand

I thought of this cursed tech a little while ago but it turns out studios already beat me to it

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-ads-products-insert-old-movies-content-mirriad-2021-5

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

ibai is a very popular spanish twitch streamer whose ideas everyone in north america keeps stealing after seeing the massive views they get, some things never change

kliras fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 22, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hbomberguy mentioned before that there was a Brazilian Youtuber who basically remade his videos in Portuguese, which is why he specifically gets his videos subtitled in Portuguese now. Also Russian because the Russian Youtube userbase is huge in itself.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kliras posted:

i remember when twitch started and i had my 10/1 upload that wasn't going to stream jack. it's a bummer how much privilege still decides how you make it on the internet, and that's before getting into gender and race

I think that twitch launched when i had just converted my home Telecom Italia VDSL2 landline from 100/10 to 200/20. Streaming to twitch had a massive latency for europe AV ingest, so any interaction felt like doing a live commentary on satellite tv.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, and there’s also a huge market for outright content rippers and also script plagiarists to take stuff that’s moderately or very successful in the US internet and market it toward those groups as well.

Like there’s guys making tens of thousands of dollars a month by editing two American tiktokers clips’ together and then slapping a bunch of Portuguese text and Brazil-specific SEO tags on the result over and over again

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

Hbomberguy mentioned before that there was a Brazilian Youtuber who basically remade his videos in Portuguese, which is why he specifically gets his videos subtitled in Portuguese now. Also Russian because the Russian Youtube userbase is huge in itself.

There was a lady in Brazil a few years back who basically just copy/pasted entire video scripts from MomsBasement

Fansubs/dubs are arguably very different, and historically the only good way to get certain English YouTubers’ work in other languages

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

kliras posted:

it's also crazy how north america-centric the (american) internet is, as much as people like to talk about how it's "democratizing" and "connecting" the world

this cool thing just rolled out? oh it's only available to north american users - and if you're lucky, uk+ger+spain+france

You also see that stuff with some smaller authors whose books are ( or were) exclusive to Kindle Unlimited , which means it's completely unavailable to a large part of the world outside of piracy. At least with normal physical books you can just import them.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

gradenko_2000 posted:

IDK about YouTube specifically, but some of the biggest twitch streamers are Spanish.

Some of them are also seemingly the worst people on twitch, which if you are at all familiar with twitch streamers sounds like an impossible bar to clear, but they arguably do it. The biggest one seems like a pretty cool dude, tho.

If you speak English well, you are probably best off producing content for the English speaking market. There are tons of people out there with maybe 10 or 50k subscribers who are making a fantastic living for where they are.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I found out the other day that there’s a huge Spanish Doom/boomer shooter YouTube I’ve never heard of. Someone in the Spanish community has spun up their own yearly Doom awards to accommodate Spanish users and because they seem to have an axe to grind with the long-time community Cacowards, and this “pixel2pixel” guy was their winner for top creator (in the social media sense.)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

LatinoTechTips?

would absolutely watch this

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Google makes more than enough money of scrubbing my data/emails (and everyone elses) and selling them to the highest bidder and using for whatever purpose they see fit.

I sleep just fine at night using a blocker on youtube

priznat posted:

One time I cut a tag off a mattress and then I changed my identity so the law would never catch me.
brb reporting you to CSIS you monster

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Wedge Regret
I turned off adblock for like 10 minutes and got like 3 IDF ads in a row.

No thank you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Google should charge more for all of my data when they sell it, if they need more money. Guilting me into watching ads ain’t gonna work.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 24, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just get ads for a gacha game that I'm pretty sure is a scam (more so than usual)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

it is unethical to not watch the scam game, scam charity, and scam crypto ads

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I turned adblock off once out of curiosity, got an advert of a tiny man being stamped on by a giant woman, and reaffirmed my belief to never do that again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

I turned adblock off once out of curiosity, got an advert of a tiny man being stamped on by a giant woman, and reaffirmed my belief to never do that again.

why do you hate queer people steven universe fans

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Don’t wanna watch ads, don’t wanna subscribe to a million patreons, don’t wanna give google money :negative:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If you get served an ad you should have to watch it in its entirety otherwise its stealing from the creator’s family’s mouth directly

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

priznat posted:

One time I cut a tag off a mattress and then I changed my identity so the law would never catch me.

https://youtu.be/1dWjKkF0Zi4?si=F4VQxx1vCQoHhedV

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

If you get served an ad you should have to watch it in its entirety otherwise its stealing from the creator’s family’s mouth directly

the skip ad button is youtube testing you to make sure you're morally pure and do not skip the ad

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

People are really flirting with the line here talking about their favorite ways to pirate their YouTube content.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im selling VCD camrips of linus videos, any takers

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

repiv posted:

You fool, that’s how you end up with a video that has a photoshopped thumbnail of Linus looking baffled while holding up a CD with a bright red Jolly Roger clipart on it, and a title of “I watched my pirated videos AND PAID MONEY FOR IT?!”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

People are really flirting with the line here talking about their favorite ways to pirate their YouTube content.

I can’t hear you over this insanely loud unauthorized rebroadcast of a football game that I’m playing without the express written permission of the NFL

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

how are internet ads real just close your eyes lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i have already mostly migrated to Bilibili for video consumption since i know chinese

better recs, zero in-video ads even without paid subscription, better content

i barely even use youtube now lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

The unedited post hack CCTV clip...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The line of what? Are you gonna file reports like “poster uses an adblocker”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Arivia posted:

The line of what? Are you gonna file reports like “poster uses an adblocker”

Bans incoming :filez: