Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Amtrak brings us incest for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The trains are insufficiently sexually dimorphic, and therefore woke.

mystes
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

Amtrak brings us incest for Christmas.
this needs some multi-track drifting imo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

my bony fealty posted:

we got mcdonalds after. a real holiday highlight. these days, you can't even do that.

nope they won't let you drive to a McDonald's it's true. I tried last week and they fuckin keyed my car and set it on fire?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Prohibited

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The trains are insufficiently sexually dimorphic, and therefore woke.

One of these trains needs a huge rack. I dont care which.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I would guess it's an objectively inferior bicycle with high rolling resistance and a lot of wear on the tires (treads I guess?), but it is very cool

ya it'd be terrible as an actual thing its just neat

it would struggle to turn, the tires cant lean
it wouldn't handle shock loads well at all because those wheels don't have any suspension or inflated tire to absorb anything and even if it did have suspension the wheels look like they're very heavy so it would still be rough even on parking lot, probably lots of moving parts that dont like being slammed around

it looks like the tread is just a loose rubber ply with a rigid flat siding that looks like it's just supposed to keep stuff out from the rollers
if the roller wheels and stuff don't get clogged up with gunk and especially with a wheel in the front or way to drive the front wheel at the same time and it would crawl across any muddy grassy lawn on earth and up crazy inclines with good gearing, but it would probably wear you out more than dragging or carrying it because the wheels don't roll and it and has a tank -tread style drive sprocket at one end turning it like a pulley instead of an axle, the rolling resistance and parasitic friction losses are gonna be huge, you can hear the noise all of the rollers are making eating up energy that could be making the bike move. i bet it would chew the tread up really fast too since its unsupported

Are there any bicycles that let you drive the front wheel at all? I guess it wouldn't have much use outside of Trials comps or weird ultra steep mountain biking

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes people electrify front wheels with hub motors. They’re kind of awful but it’s cheaper than modifying the rear wheel.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
If you drive the front wheel then you are dividing your available traction between throttle braking and steering and outside of being Marc Marquez good luck recovering from washing the front

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

FirstnameLastname posted:

Are there any bicycles that let you drive the front wheel at all? I guess it wouldn't have much use outside of Trials comps or weird ultra steep mountain biking

Does a penny farthing count? :v:

A company called Tretta used to make really strange but cool 2-wheel-drive mountain bikes (and apparently road bikes), idk if they still do

insane chain positioning, still want it

I think there's e-bikes that do electric FWD and pedal RWD too but that seems horrible to me

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

dreamin of semen posted:

Does a penny farthing count? :v:

A company called Tretta used to make really strange but cool 2-wheel-drive mountain bikes (and apparently road bikes), idk if they still do

insane chain positioning, still want it

I think there's e-bikes that do electric FWD and pedal RWD too but that seems horrible to me

lmao do3s that have an axle to transfer from the left side of the fork to the right side above the wheel haha

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lmao do3s that have an axle to transfer from the left side of the fork to the right side above the wheel haha

Yeah lol. tbf I don't know how else they really could have dealt with "the front wheel still needs to be able to turn"

the bike mechanic half of me is going "fuuuuuuck" but the rest of me just wants a go on the cool bike

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems like a good way to get grease all over your left leg.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
that's a dang engineering problem for the ages

too busy thinkin whether we COULD, nobody asking whether we SHOULD

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

500excf type r posted:

If you drive the front wheel then you are dividing your available traction between throttle braking and steering and outside of being Marc Marquez good luck recovering from washing the front

i was thinking a selectable thing like a drive transfer in a car, for people trying to mob up a 40° gravel incline or things like that
itd obv. be pointless and unwanted 99.999% whatever use cases

i just wondered if it was a thing

dreamin of semen posted:

Yeah lol. tbf I don't know how else they really could have dealt with "the front wheel still needs to be able to turn"

the bike mechanic half of me is going "fuuuuuuck" but the rest of me just wants a go on the cool bike
lol that would awful

very neat engineering tho

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Dec 23, 2023

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

i was thinking a selectable thing like a drive transfer in a car, for people trying to mob up a 40° gravel incline or things like that
itd obv. be pointless and unwanted 99.999% whatever use cases

i just wondered if it was a thing

If you think of pedaling and electric power as two separate things, then there is no advantage to driving the front wheel over the back wheel and plenty of bikes exist where you can pedal or use electricity as needed on the back wheel

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

One of these trains needs a huge rack. I dont care which.

train guys are more into caboose

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/JoshyBeSloshy/status/1738028073725964468

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/1rtAJIW.mp4

Run a brake on the fork by routing the line through the headset for more rizz. :colbert:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

500excf type r posted:

If you think of pedaling and electric power as two separate things, then there is no advantage to driving the front wheel over the back wheel and plenty of bikes exist where you can pedal or use electricity as needed on the back wheel

i was talking about a purely pedal powered like the one bike someone posted, someone else mentioned the efwd bike

when you're going up a v. steep incline you have weight shift back a bunch and have to lean forward to compensate so you don't tip & can steer
going up a steep wet, dirt, gravel incline that can mean spinning the rear tire. which kills any forward momentum you have and then you tip over
having the power split across both lets you avoid that & probably makes for smoother climbing bc you wouldn't have to worry about keeping momentum up nearly as much so you'd have a wider range of speeds to take things

otherwise outside of that single situation tho no use really

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOS9pG6vjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMUrJhet-1M&t=357s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX3A7GLtFqM&t=327s

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 10:18 on Dec 23, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

im in an exurb of a mid sized southern city and it takes ten minutes of driving to get out of the residential only subdivision. then there are fields. finally after all that: target and applebees.

the american dream

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

i was talking about a purely pedal powered like the one bike someone posted, someone else mentioned the efwd bike

when you're going up a v. steep incline you have weight shift back a bunch and have to lean forward to compensate so you don't tip & can steer
going up a steep wet, dirt, gravel incline that can mean spinning the rear tire. which kills any forward momentum you have and then you tip over
having the power split across both lets you avoid that & probably makes for smoother climbing bc you wouldn't have to worry about keeping momentum up nearly as much so you'd have a wider range of speeds to take things

otherwise outside of that single situation tho no use really

That also sounds incredibly like the kind of situation where you would be twisting the bike a lot, meaning your entire left leg would be greased as gently caress.

I'm probably gonna take the cargo bike out later to get a Christmas tree.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonHair posted:

I'm probably gonna take the cargo bike out later to get a Christmas tree.
I'm glad we don't nuke a tree every year to put in the house anymore (and no more needles cleanup) but I'm sad I don't get to take a "carry a 2,5m tree on your bike" pic anymore :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

That also sounds incredibly like the kind of situation where you would be twisting the bike a lot, meaning your entire left leg would be greased as gently caress.

Just use wax.

*Offer not suitable for Danish climate

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The latest NJB video on Montreal sucks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I drove a new Subaru up mt lemmon. it was great and I got 30mpg

the cyclists going up were crazy, I'll never be that fit

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

i say swears online posted:

I drove a new Subaru up mt lemmon. it was great and I got 30mpg

the cyclists going up were crazy, I'll never be that fit

not if you keep driving up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my bike has road gearing, my legs would catch fire a quarter-mile up

i'm doing a tour of the texas hill country in march for a week or so @ 50 miles/day so i need to get my front rings downsized pronto

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

Montreal certainly seems to suck pretty bad, so it makes sense.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Steen71 posted:

Does it?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Ardennes posted:

yeah its real bad

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Sphyre posted:

yeah its real bad

Not entirely familiar with Montreal, what's the issue?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sphyre posted:

yeah its real bad

He just goes too far. It isn't that Amsterdam has better biking than Montreal; it of course, but come on. Amsterdam is a historically more small-scaled European city where most of the urban layout was already fixed in 1920. Nevertheless, Amsterdam also has its highways, industrial areas, and awkward metro stops. If you want to be fair, even it isn't a paradise, and honestly, a lot of sidewalks in Amsterdam are still an issue and the public transportation is ridiculously expensive.

Montreal just isn't ever going to be Amsterdam it physically can't. I think he really does a disservice to everyone by ragging on it for most of the video because it still has highways and suburbs like any other North American city rather than recognizing that a lot of work has been done, it is getting better, and that North American cities are just going to have legacy infrastructure.

Not everyone is going to be able to move to Amsterdam or the Netherlands, that includes other Europeans. So I really don't get the point of it, I guess it hurt him personally or something.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Dec 23, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a very unique automobile that breaks (safety) conventions

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

NJB does spend the first 1/3 of the video talking about what they are doing well.

He implied he's going to REALLY rip into Philly and SEPTA next. Though SEPTA gets like a fraction of the capital budget of a similarly sized transit agency, so its not like they can have grand ambitions.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

septa sucks outloud but its cooler than njb will ever be

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

NJB does spend the first 1/3 of the video talking about what they are doing well.

He implied he's going to REALLY rip into Philly and SEPTA next. Though SEPTA gets like a fraction of the capital budget of a similarly sized transit agency, so its not like they can have grand ambitions.

Then he immediately flips over and goes on a rant which undercuts all of that immediately.

Also just going after Philly and SEPTA is just lovely, what next going after St. Louis and Detroit? Yeah, no poo poo they aren't bike cities.

-----

Anyway, it really isn't just NJB but I think just that there has to be some level of acceptance that certain cities will or can push bike infrastructure so far. For example, Moscow, you can ride a bike there during the summer (although a lot of people use scooters now), but at the end of the day, it probably doesn't that much sense to re-make the entire city around bikes. The city has a massive amount of public transportation (more than Montreal or Amsterdam even when comparing for size) and at the end of the day it makes more sense to use that during the winter than bikes. Tokyo has side streets that are bike-able, but there is always going to be an impediment in terms of space (and just public transportation).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Dec 23, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

neon jenesis bvangelion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Steen71 posted:

Hi Steen. Sorry if you think I was mean to you on the FRM.