Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Strange Cares posted:

I just finished re-reading Reaper man last week and I burst into tears at the end. Really hits you different when you understand your own mortality.

Shepherd's Crown is the only book I've ever burst into tears about. Not because it's his best book, but because I realized that this was the last time I would ever read a new Discworld book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Alhazred posted:

If only he had cut the sentient mall plot.

I think the sentient mall plot was crucial because if the B plot was as good as the A plot the book might actually kill someone.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

YggiDee posted:

I think the sentient mall plot was crucial because if the B plot was as good as the A plot the book might actually kill someone.

It's definitely something like this. The sentient mall is important to the book in a very load-bearing way.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Alhazred posted:

Shepherd's Crown is the only book I've ever burst into tears about. Not because it's his best book, but because I realized that this was the last time I would ever read a new Discworld book.

Same here, but also "A Life with Footnotes". That's why the new Tiffany Aching book worries me a little bit. Has anyone already read it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dave Syndrome posted:

Same here, but also "A Life with Footnotes". That's why the new Tiffany Aching book worries me a little bit. Has anyone already read it?

It's not a novel. It's more akin to the diaries or Nanny Ogg's Cookbook.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Jedit posted:

It's not a novel. It's more akin to the diaries or Nanny Ogg's Cookbook.

Yeah, I know, sorry, I should've mentioned it. I also know that by all accounts it's a labor of love from Rhianna Pratchett and Paul Kidby and doesn't seem to be a cash grab, but I'm still worried. The spectacular desaster that was "...And Another Thing" by Eoin Colfer still haunts me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, I know, sorry, I should've mentioned it. I also know that by all accounts it's a labor of love from Rhianna Pratchett and Paul Kidby and doesn't seem to be a cash grab, but I'm still worried. The spectacular desaster that was "...And Another Thing" by Eoin Colfer still haunts me.

i flicked through that and shuddered, adams had such a distinctive style

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Alhazred posted:

For me, it was Nation. Just the prologue with Imo creating the world hit me in the feelings. Plus it’s wonderfully written.

“And this is why we are born in water, and do not kill dolphins and look towards the stars” is up there with “Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Coronel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.” as one of my most memorable openings.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Alhazred posted:

I held off on reading it for this very reason, and had the same response, but also had An Extended Moment at the part when Granny wakes up and sees the future. There I was, a grown-rear end man actually crying while reading at the library, because God dammit Sir Terry was actually doing this, and on top of that, this was the last time I would be reading a Discworld book for the first time. These books are something that I've been reading since I was like 13 and in many ways shaped how I viewed a lot of things, but this was the last one. Heart-wrenching.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

I held off on reading it for this very reason, and had the same response, but also had An Extended Moment at the part when Granny wakes up and sees the future.

Yeah, same. Once I realized where Pratchett were going I had to take a Break.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I'll say it a thousand times, the Tiffany Aching series is Pratchett's best work. It was a true miracle that The Shepherd's Crown was produced at all. The Wee Free Men is the only Pratchett book that brought me to real tears thinking about my own passed grandmother.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Report time:

I'm halfway through Tiffany Aching's Guide to Being a Witch, and it's ...fine.

If you know your Pratchett lore, there's not much new in there. 95% of the text seems to be everything Terry has ever written about witches, all the way back from Esk in Equal Rites up to Geoffrey The Shepherd's Crown, compiled into neat little categories like "types of witches", "equipment", "headology" and so forth. A lot of the times phrases are used from the novels verbatim. The illustrations by Paul Kidby are gorgeous as always, and it seems to be mostly new art, with a few of his previous paintings thrown in (there's an image I remember from The Pratchett Portfolio with Rincewind running from creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions, which has been repurposed here with another character in the foreground; and I also remember having seen the group shot of the Feegles somewhere else before). The whole presentation is absolutely top-notch: The pages are sturdy with gold edging, and the hardcover book even comes in a slipcase. Clearly this has been a labor of love from all parties involved, and not a quick cash grab.

Tiffany herself is an extremely sensible person in the books (most of the time, anyway), so the writing in the main text isn't particularly funny except when she adds her little extra thoughts in subscript sometimes. Most of the humor comes from comments scribbled along the margins by such luminaries as Nanny Ogg, Miss Tick, Rob Anybody, and the late Granny Weatherwax - the conceit being that Granny managed to see the unpublished manuscript of the book before her death and managed to get a few comments in, and, indeed, bicker with Nanny in those comments. Frankly, those comments were the only times the book made me laugh, while the rest of the read was just "oh, I remember this" :unsmith: for me.

When I first heard about the book (and knowing Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, which contains real recipes), I feared that the co-writer, Gabrielle Kent, may have been brought on board to turn this book into basically a Wicca primer with a Discworld background. I'm happy to say that this is not the case. In fact, a lot of time is spent on poking fun at "magiK" as practiced by Lettice Earwig, who keeps interrupting the text with meticulously-penned little cards protesting some of the more down-to-earth concepts and advertising her own star-and-moon-magic-type books.

All in all, I'm a bit torn on this book.
I get the feeling that Rhianna Pratchett can't win. She may have erred on the side of caution here, almost disappearing behind the text and introducing hardly any new material to Discworld canon (BIG SPOILER ALERT: I can't remember if it's implied in the book that the white cat "You" still holds Granny Weatherwax's spirit from a final act of Borrowing before her death, but the implication is definitely made here). On the other hand, had she started putting too much new stuff in, I'm sure people would have accused her of "usurping her father's heritage" or some such nonsense. As I said, it's ...fine. Sadly, nothing more, and happily, very happily, nothing less.

Nevertheless, if this is how she's going to handle the Discworld franchise from now on, it could be in much, much worse hands - yes, I'm looking at you, The Watch TV show. I actually wouldn't mind seeing another book like this in a few years. A history of the Ankh-Morpork city watch might be fun, compiled by Carrot Ironfoundersson and written with his boundless optimism, while a cynical Vimes, a sleazy Nobby and a pragmatic Angua chime in in the margins.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 18, 2023

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nice! That’s as good as can be expected! Thanks for the write up! I’m trying to decide if I have to buy it to continue to be a Pratchett completionist or not.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Just ordered Guards, Guards! for my (almost 12yo) nephew for Christmas, that seems like a pretty solid one to start off on. I was about to pile on a bunch more but I figured I'll see how he likes that one.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

Nice! That’s as good as can be expected! Thanks for the write up! I’m trying to decide if I have to buy it to continue to be a Pratchett completionist or not.

Even though it may come across as if I'm a bit down on the book, I definitely heartily recommend it. ESPECIALLY if you're a completist - it's not like there's going to be a ton more of those in the future :smith:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Youremother posted:

I'll say it a thousand times, the Tiffany Aching series is Pratchett's best work. It was a true miracle that The Shepherd's Crown was produced at all. The Wee Free Men is the only Pratchett book that brought me to real tears thinking about my own passed grandmother.

You can't, you really just can't get any better, or hook me harder, than having a 9-year old stake out their very sticky younger brother as bait for a fae creature and then brain it with a cast iron frying pan. That's just peak anything.

The Tiffany Aching series is also some of his very most thoughtful and insightful work, and it carries a dreadful realism that coexists very well with the Disc's usual dose of whimsy. These are his best.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also it has chapters. Chapters make things easier to read.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Part of what makes Going Postal and Making Money good too

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Also enables a great lore callback with Chapter 7 followed by Chapter 7a.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wintersmith's "this I choose to do. If there is a price I choose to pay. If the price is my life I choose to die." was incredibly powerful.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mllaneza posted:

The Tiffany Aching series is also some of his very most thoughtful and insightful work, and it carries a dreadful realism that coexists very well with the Disc's usual dose of whimsy. These are his best.

The Tiffany Aching series has Aching loving up and then having to to fix the problems she has caused. I also like how antagonists like the Borrower and the Cunning Man doesn't make people evil, they just make people more honest about their prejudices and darker impulses. The Borrower may have stolen the money from the old man but Aching had to admit that that was something she had though about doing for example.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I didn’t care for the Tiffany Aching novels and would happily sacrifice them all for Unseen Academicals, Snuff and Raising Steam to have been written better.

THAT SAID my daughter is five and loves to read and be read to; there’s nothing straight-up unsuitable in Wee Free Men, is there?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Not that I remember, no. Probably some stuff that will go over her head though

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sanford posted:

I didn’t care for the Tiffany Aching novels and would happily sacrifice them all for Unseen Academicals, Snuff and Raising Steam to have been written better.

I honestly believe that Unseen Academicals is beyond salvation. There's nothing there that works. It's the one bad novel by Pratchett.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Alhazred posted:

I honestly believe that Unseen Academicals is beyond salvation. There's nothing there that works. It's the one bad novel by Pratchett.

I was very invested in Mightily Oats from Carpe Jugulum and having confirmation in UA that he was still alive and doing all right was something I really needed.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Alhazred posted:

You know the part in Making Money where the stamp forger has his negative emotions transferred to a Turnip by Igor? The drawing he makes is what Raising Steam feels like. It's almost worse than a purely bad novel, because you can see what the intention is, but he's just not able to execute it. I've never managed to get more than a third of the way through that book.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I feel like a terrible Pratchett fan for enjoying UA now.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Unseen Academicals is fine. The football hagiography is no weirder or worse than the broad cultural pastiches in Lost Continent or Soul Music, and the existentialist Orc is a genuinely good and Pratchett-y idea delivered in a somewhat unpolished way.

Raising Steam is loving rough, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It might be better if you're a British football fan? Idk I've never read it (or anything past making money)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Another plug for the excellent biography, you get a real feel for how much the later books were desperate patch jobs :smith: it is both very sad and very moving seeing the author and Terry deal with it.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Unseen Academicals isn't that bad, but it definitely marked the decline in Terry's writing skills. Snuff was a lot worse IMO, but still a pretty decent book. I think the only truly "bad" Discworld book is Raising Steam, and boy, you gotta read the biography to understand what a miracle that book was

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I enjoyed Unseen Academicals, even though it is in the worse half of discworld books. I am from a soccer country though.
Don't actually remember anything about Raising Steam, it was mostly forgettable.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last half of the biography is fuckin brutal.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm saving reading it for when I'm in need of being utterly crushed I think.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I didn't really thing that Unseen Academicals is particularly bad, except that it assumes the reader is intimately familiar with British football history (particularly jokes like "You think it's all over?" which make absolutely no sense in the novel without that context).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Unseen academicals has an Andrew Marvell joke at least

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I’m not so much disappointed with Unseen Academicals, Snuff, and Raising Steam as I am astonished and amazed at how well the later Tiffany Aching books are, even the obviously unfinished Shepherd’s Crown.

I’ve now read the complete works except for Dodger, which I gave up on halfway through. That one is stylistically distinct, following in a form I don’t enjoy, and suffers the twin disadvantages of not having characters I like and not being particularly funny. Snuff and Raising Steam aren’t especially funny, either, but the messages and characters are enough to carry me along and I still find them more interesting than some other authors’ best stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rand Brittain posted:

I didn't really thing that Unseen Academicals is particularly bad, except that it assumes the reader is intimately familiar with British football history (particularly jokes like "You think it's all over?" which make absolutely no sense in the novel without that context).

Which is wild because Terry didn’t give a fig about football either.

Snuff wasn’t great for me, and I never finished it. Right at the start, Wilikins had a completely different personality from his previous appearances and it felt like everyone was off.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Rand Brittain posted:

That probably explains why I found UA such an unbearable slog while considering Snuff and Raising Steam to be flawed but enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rand Brittain posted:

Ha, the only reason I got that joke when I read it was because of a New Order song that sampled the line