Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

2730 for the graceful cloth on HM jesus christ these prices are killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I took a nap and dreamed that in Honour mode you had to beat Raphael in a trivia deathmatch after defeating the final boss.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

Just kill the vendor, I did that accidentally one time and realized I saved so much money.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Morrow posted:

Just kill the vendor, I did that accidentally one time and realized I saved so much money.

Or you can respec with withers. Stay at level 1. Give the vendor 400 gold. Now the 3x cost multipler is reduced to 2.5X.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Your good buddy Asterion is pretty good at getting a 5-finger discount.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I really want to figure out how to make Arcane Trickster’s level 9 skill (forget what it’s called, advantage on spells while hiding) work. I still don’t quite get how scroll scribing works—if I take one Wizard level can I scribe (and cast) level 3+ spells? It feels like AT is kind of wasted if it can’t ever cast anything above level 2. I mean, advantage on Hold Person is pretty great, but still.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

OzFactor posted:

I really want to figure out how to make Arcane Trickster’s level 9 skill (forget what it’s called, advantage on spells while hiding) work. I still don’t quite get how scroll scribing works—if I take one Wizard level can I scribe (and cast) level 3+ spells? It feels like AT is kind of wasted if it can’t ever cast anything above level 2. I mean, advantage on Hold Person is pretty great, but still.

Hey this is what I’m doing welcome to the poo poo show. I’m doing AT 10 / Wizard 2 Divination. To get lvl 3 spell slots to scribe and upcast you’ll want 2/3 levels in Wizard.

Magical Ambush is a finicky status because it can drop for seemingly no reason if you don’t use it right away. However with lvl 3 spells you can now cast Slow, Fear, and Hypnotic pattern at advantage. The rule from the game files for magical ambush is that you have to know the spell in your spell book. So that means you can use scrolls for this as well as long as you learned the spell at some point. This also allows you to save your lvl 3 slots for upcasted Hold Person or False Life.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ZearothK posted:

I took a nap and dreamed that in Honour mode you had to beat Raphael in a trivia deathmatch after defeating the final boss.

Sleeping Dogs style karaoke minigame for his boss fight music.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Act 2

So someone here or on Reddit mentioned you don't even have to fight Balthazar if you just unlock his door to his room during the fight with the Sharran Justiciars. Astarion is my full on rogue, so I had him separate from the party, talk to Balthazar's Undead Soldiers, then when the fight started, immediately ran to the door, unlocked it (DC 30), and then ran inside behind Balthazar and went back into hiding, just skipping his turn while he watched the fight. What proceeded was the most epic battle between a horde of Sharran Justiciars who kept spawning until a Sharran Crusader appears as a mini-boss and Balthaza, Flesh, and Balthazar's regular undead soldiers. Flesh fought one on one with the Crusader while the undead soldiers and justiciars fought it out. Problem is Balthazar has a Legendary aura now that heals all undead, including shadows, and also they somehow never targeted the portals that kept spawning more shadows. The Sharrans had the numbers, and slowly, slowly whittled down Flesh, Balthazar, and his few undead soldiers down to nothing

This is lone Balthazar, after losing Flesh and all his soldiers retreating out towards the entrance, facing off against a horde of shadow Justiciars. The justiciar crossbowmen were showering him with so many bolts, I imagined it like that scene in Throne of Blood where they kept shooting arrows at Toshiro Mifune.

Afterwards, I used Connor to lure in 2-3 Justiciars at a time to the mushroom kitchen and finished them off. They were super stupid about aggroing, and would only trigger 1-2 at a time to attack. The crusader was pretty easy since he came with only 2 crossbowmen.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 23, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
For those not aware, there's a way to get an additional +1d4 bonus to skill checks (basically works like Guidance and stacks with it) starting in Act 2. Shapeshifter's Boon Ring gives +1d4 to Checks while shapeshifted or disguised, and Disguise Self counts. You get the ring from the Strange Ox at Last Light Inn.

edit: goes great with a PC bard, you've just got tons of bonuses for dialogue and other skill checks.

my current Honour Mode Tav is a gith bard in large part for the check bonuses

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 23, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That ring and Mage's Friend are very helpful to have if you're trying to pass the DC25 checks for the Mirror of Loss on all your characters.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
You can get that ring early act 1 in fact

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

You can get that ring early act 1 in fact

oh can you kill the ox early on?

I forgot to do it my last playthrough

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think most people avoided killing the ox early because it used to cause Dammon to bug out, making him unavailable in Act 2 and thus unable to continue fixing Karlach's heart. I've never managed to antagonize him enough to get attacked in Act 1.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
To the thread,what are your guys computer specs that you let you play on medium settings (and maybe above) smoothly at 1920x1080?

I’m not looking for a supercomputer or ultra graphics just something that’ll let me play smoothly and non stuttery.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Shadowheart just challenged Laezel to combat and I said let them fight. So they did and Shadowheart is dead now rip.

E: everyone is like "Laezel is a powder keg better be careful" bro shadowheart was withholding her cultural artefacts and when called on it she threatened to slit Laezel's throat in her sleep lmao. I think Laezel might be within her rights on this one.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 23, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

To the thread,what are your guys computer specs that you let you play on medium settings (and maybe above) smoothly at 1920x1080?

I’m not looking for a supercomputer or ultra graphics just something that’ll let me play smoothly and non stuttery.

i can run things just fine on an i5-12400F paired with a 3060 Ti i got on the cheap. i do get a bit of slowdown in act 3 in the highly populated city parts, but that's to be expected if you don't have a monster CPU on hand

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Not sure if this is a question for a different thread, but was the actual play the cast did worth watching?

I love the cast in general, but not everyone is great at improv. I think it's only two episodes either way I suppose..

Some of them are clearly more comfortable with tabletop than others, but some of them are excellent. Gale (who has never played D&D before) and Astarion (who has played a lot) were the standouts, imo.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Vermain posted:

i can run things just fine on an i5-12400F paired with a 3060 Ti i got on the cheap. i do get a bit of slowdown in act 3 in the highly populated city parts, but that's to be expected if you don't have a monster CPU on hand

Thanks for the advice,much appreciated.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SirSamVimes posted:

Some of them are clearly more comfortable with tabletop than others, but some of them are excellent. Gale (who has never played D&D before) and Astarion (who has played a lot) were the standouts, imo.

Wyll is a little adrift, laezel and shart have no idea what's going on but are right into it, karlach only gets a few big moments but they're really good

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

well looks like I've just committed to playing at least until 42069 hours

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Similar things the above - I have an i5-3570k (overlocked to 4.4 GHz, avoiding getting a new motherboard) with a 3060, 24 GB RAM. Runs fine on ultra settings up to act 3, then minor stuttering in crowded areas. I’m still in the lower city on my first play through.

Game content - I get why, but it’s still annoying that Minsc isn’t recruitable at all if Jaheira is dead. She Leeroy Jenkins’d into Moonrise and died pretty quickly, I shrugged at the time and kept going. Obviously too far gone to replay now. Next game!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Black Noise posted:

Hey this is what I’m doing welcome to the poo poo show. I’m doing AT 10 / Wizard 2 Divination. To get lvl 3 spell slots to scribe and upcast you’ll want 2/3 levels in Wizard.

Magical Ambush is a finicky status because it can drop for seemingly no reason if you don’t use it right away. However with lvl 3 spells you can now cast Slow, Fear, and Hypnotic pattern at advantage. The rule from the game files for magical ambush is that you have to know the spell in your spell book. So that means you can use scrolls for this as well as long as you learned the spell at some point. This also allows you to save your lvl 3 slots for upcasted Hold Person or False Life.

Wait so it doesn’t work with scrolls normally? That sucks a lot!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Okay, so I'm clearing out Moonrise on my current run and just killed the goblins on the lower floor in front of a bunch of guards with a smokepowder arrow

Nobody reacted because it was considered a "Stealth" attack.

The mechanics of this game are just a little weird at times.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Horace Kinch posted:

Your good buddy Asterion is pretty good at getting a 5-finger discount.

Not in act 1 he ain't.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

OzFactor posted:

Wait so it doesn’t work with scrolls normally? That sucks a lot!

It works with scrolls for spells you know that have a saving throw.

Circle of Death? No.

Fireball, Slow, Fear, Hypnotic Pattern? Yes.

Sorcerers can heighten spell on any scroll though.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Kolodny posted:

Similar things the above - I have an i5-3570k (overlocked to 4.4 GHz, avoiding getting a new motherboard) with a 3060, 24 GB RAM. Runs fine on ultra settings up to act 3, then minor stuttering in crowded areas. I’m still in the lower city on my first play through.

Much love,thank you.

Also : Gale is from Toast of london?! How did i not hear it before?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Not in act 1 he ain't.

Find the smugglers ring and cast cats grace on him.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Welp, not sure I can top this one. Just killed Gyrm on Honour mode with a salami.

This was after softening him up with a few hammers and then when I ran out of those, realized that my torches were bludgeoning instruments. Had to sent Shadowheart on suicide runs down to the lava area to pick up the weapons as I didn't have enough, but it did the trick.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Not in act 1 he ain't.

SirSamVimes posted:

Find the smugglers ring and cast cats grace on him.

You don't even need Cat's Grace if you pick up the gloves from the Zhentarim hideout by Waukeems that always give you advantage on Sleight of Hand checks. Between those two + a Guidance if you're really worried he can filch pretty much anything reliably.

e: Found them since I'd forgotten the name, the aptly coined Gloves of Thievery, lol.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I found Lae'zel hanging in a trap after the nautiloid crashed. I told her to ask nicely if she wanted my help getting out. She said "never". So I left her in there and went to go clear out some ruins. When I got back, the game had bugged out. The floor of the trap is still there, but no Lae'zel and no sides of the trap. I guess she's staying trapped forever. Oh well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

LLSix posted:

I found Lae'zel hanging in a trap after the nautiloid crashed. I told her to ask nicely if she wanted my help getting out. She said "never". So I left her in there and went to go clear out some ruins. When I got back, the game had bugged out. The floor of the trap is still there, but no Lae'zel and no sides of the trap. I guess she's staying trapped forever. Oh well.

That’s not a bug. You can’t leave the immediate vicinity of the trap, or it will count as you abandoning her - you will have seen your quest log update when you went too far away from it. IIRC you’ll have another opportunity to recruit her later.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I don't suppose playing the game on Honor mode counts towards the Tactician achievement, or do they have to be two separate runs?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Honour is tactician rules, isn't it?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Thinking about making a gimmick character called Conan, human barbarian, and making him look as close as possible to 80's Schwarzenegger Conan. The idea is to play him as a hyper-confrontational moron and just select attack/reach for weapon/draw your weapon in every single conversation, always, consequences be damned. I wonder how far you'd get in an honor mode run.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

sebmojo posted:

Honour is tactician rules, isn't it?

Honour uses a ruleset that's closer to tabletop and more difficult than tactician, and gives a number of bosses new (and unpleasant) abilities.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Thundarr posted:

I don't suppose playing the game on Honor mode counts towards the Tactician achievement, or do they have to be two separate runs?

googling around there's a couple reddit posts asking this and it seems inconclusive, with folks leaning toward "you need separate runs."

grack posted:

Honour uses a ruleset that's closer to tabletop and more difficult than tactician, and gives a number of bosses new (and unpleasant) abilities.

afaik there are four main changes from Tactician to Honour mode:

-Fixed unintended stacking of damage sources so you can't have damage bonuses apply multiple times
-The extra action from Haste doesn't get extra attacks (only ever one attack), and the blade pact warlock extra attack doesn't stack with martials. This greatly reduces the number of attacks you can get.
-Many item costs rebalanced to be more expensive
-Some bosses now have special Legendary abilities.

the first two make the game more like tabletop

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pellisworth posted:

googling around there's a couple reddit posts asking this and it seems inconclusive, with folks leaning toward "you need separate runs."

afaik there are four main changes from Tactician to Honour mode:

-Fixed unintended stacking of damage sources so you can't have damage bonuses apply multiple times
-The extra action from Haste doesn't get extra attacks (only ever one attack), and the blade pact warlock extra attack doesn't stack with martials. This greatly reduces the number of attacks you can get.
-Many item costs rebalanced to be more expensive
-Some bosses now have special Legendary abilities.

the first two make the game more like tabletop

Can you elaborate on point 1? What stacking is intentional and which is unintentional?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

Unfortunate, but kind of expected. There were a few more achievements that I was unlikely to get on an HM run anyway, like saving all the tieflings (last time I attempted it, one died on the raid at the Inn and I didn't notice until I was way past that point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Lord Bude posted:

Can you elaborate on point 1? What stacking is intentional and which is unintentional?

This page on the wiki should list all the specific changes.