Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

20 Blunts posted:

To me, if people would learn to appreciate safe following distances it would avoid so many of the accidents.

It's just so loving simple and actually requires less work.

My favorite thing on the freeway is what I call the "Left Lane Choo-Choo Train," which seemed to take off in Wisconsin after we raised the speed limit:

Basically the right lane is people with their cruise locked to the speed limit or lower than the speed limit, the latter mostly being the drunks and real old fucks.

The left lane then, is people who I don't think are looking at their speedometer much at all. Their thought process is more like "Is there car in front of ME!??? Car should move!!!"

So you just see this line of cars like less than 10' from each other's bumpers going like 85-90, 95-100, trying to make moves like the NASCAR line or whatever. Given that some people are going too slow in the right lane, sometimes you have find your way into the left lane choo-choo train, and you'll have some psycho get even closer to you in their fuckin Denali while you're just trying to overtake the semi truck going a little low, which should be obvious.

The upshot is just setting your cruise control to like 5mph over the limit, like a normal person, is becoming impossible to do over a long stretch. There just is no flow with these fucks.

loving nuke Waukesha county Wisconsin.

I feel your pain. I have to drive between southern Minnesota and northern Illinois once per month. 90/94 is an awful road. I just drove from Chicago to Detroit and back and that seemed like a breeze compared to driving through Wisky. Certainly a lot fewer semis, which helps immensely. But yeah, I'm sick of these fucks in their trucks and SUVs with tinted windows. Didn't know the sun was so strong in WI and MN lol. I too drive 5-10 over using cruise control and am constantly passing and being passed by the same idiots. Seems like lunacy to me to have your foot on the accelerator for hundreds of miles at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

On longer trips, going 4 mph over the limit is often the balance between getting ahead of the old folks and letting the angry crows blaze by in their packs. If conditions are halfway decent, it's 20-30 minutes of effortless cruising, and 5 minutes or so of annoying negotiation, repeated until brain death or pit stop.

But if traffic is bad, everything sucks, but especially the lane change kata types. I wish bollards would pop up out of the road when traffic slows, maybe right when that Charger cuts off that Prius, setting off yet another ripple effect...

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A bit of driving schadenfreude is what I like to call the Penalty Box, wherein someone in the middle lane tries to floor it and pass the truck in front of him on the right, not seeing the car in the right lane just hidden by the truck, and he gets boxed in by the slow car in front of them and the truck to their left.
Bonus points if the cars that were behind him close the gap with the truck and he gets stuck in the box as multiple other cars pass him in the center lane.

My favourite part of that vein is when , you see some rear end in a top hat weaving back and forth between lanes taking the shoulder and just doing everything they can to get 1 more car ahead of everyone else

And then as they get close to you the opportunity to put them in the penalty box presents itself, and the other cars around you all have the same idea and everyone slows down / speeds up just enough to completely screw up their plans and force them to sit behind a slow rear end truck

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just activate turbo boost to jump over the traffic

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Stop at stop signs you cock sucking fuckface

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Will anyone vouch for their local drivers, saying, "Yes, we drive real good around here"?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

redshirt posted:

Will anyone vouch for their local drivers, saying, "Yes, we drive real good around here"?

No, philly, pittsburgh and state college drivers are examples if why we need public transit. They should not be allowed to inflict their bad driving on the world.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I would before the pandemic, but it feels like there are far more assholes driving after it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

redshirt posted:

Honestly I think the majority of people here are probably good drivers. One just remembers the worst examples the most.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

:lmao:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

No, philly, pittsburgh and state college drivers are examples if why we need public transit. They should not be allowed to inflict their bad driving on the world.

Recently moved to MD from PA and I promise it's worse here. Philly drivers are universally aggressive and can be trusted to do the most selfish maneuvers possible. This sucks, but at least it's predictable. MD is the loving Wild West, featuring an absolutely dismal mix of hyperaggression, terminal stupidity, criminally negligent automobile upkeep, and weapons-grade obliviousness and it is utterly impossible to predict any type of behavior from any driver. Also our infrastructure is so abysmally lovely that it basically encourages collisions. There's a reason we have the highest insurance premiums in the country (nearly double what I was paying in Philly), everyone else is just a pretender to the throne.

Also I've been seeing a lot more commercial drivers loving around on their phones lately, and last week I even witnessed two semi drivers doing that poo poo. I miss being car-free so loving bad.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

redshirt posted:

I was really pleasantly surprised driving in and around Toronto. It's not perfect but it's a breath of fresh air to see people who know how to use 4-way stops and actually use the passing lane mostly to pass.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Also I lived in Amish country in PA for a bit and the drivers were all fantastic. There was a nearby velodrome where a lot of pros raced, so between all the cyclists and horsedrawn carriages and poo poo motorists were just unbelievably patient and impressively aware of their surroundings. Went back like two years ago and it was still the same deal.

Also Japan had pretty great drivers when I lived there, but that's probably a combination of the incredibly stringent licensure requirements and the pervasive cultural collectivism. That was also like 10 years ago, they could all be crazy cell phone zombies by now.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Recently moved to MD from PA and I promise it's worse here. Philly drivers are universally aggressive and can be trusted to do the most selfish maneuvers possible. This sucks, but at least it's predictable. MD is the loving Wild West, featuring an absolutely dismal mix of hyperaggression, terminal stupidity, criminally negligent automobile upkeep, and weapons-grade obliviousness and it is utterly impossible to predict any type of behavior from any driver. Also our infrastructure is so abysmally lovely that it basically encourages collisions. There's a reason we have the highest insurance premiums in the country (nearly double what I was paying in Philly), everyone else is just a pretender to the throne.

Also I've been seeing a lot more commercial drivers loving around on their phones lately, and last week I even witnessed two semi drivers doing that poo poo. I miss being car-free so loving bad.

Lol MD had nothing on a pittsburgh bridge, philly pothole or insane cannibal PA driver in the uncivilized areas.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
you know how those poison frogs are brightly colored as a warning? red next to yellow on a snake?
you can see the same kinda thing in cars and trucks:

"buick of gold, driver is old"

"big lifted truck, the driver's a gently caress"

"covered in stickers, twisted up knickers"

"drive an SUV? stay the gently caress away from me"

"drives a hummer, couldn't be dumber"

dee eight fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 24, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Drives a charger, wishes he was larger

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SUVs arent common where I live, so if you spot one of those there's a big chance they are a huge rear end in a top hat on top on being an rear end in a top hat with a SUV

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I drive an SUV

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Smugworth posted:

I drive an SUV

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

If you consider an ‘83 Camaro an SUV, sure

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

everyone who isnt me is a bad driver :smuggo:

i am also bad at driving :smuggo:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Day 1 as president I have all Dodge Challenger drivers shot right in the face

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

20 Blunts posted:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

20 Blunts posted:

Here's your hit list:

https://www.lendingtree.com/insurance/brand-incidents-study/

quote:

Across 30 car brands analyzed, Ram has the worst drivers. Nationally, Ram drivers had 32.90 driving incidents (accidents, DUIs, speeding and citations) per 1,000 drivers from Nov. 14, 2022, through Nov. 14, 2023. Tesla (31.13) and Subaru (30.09) were the only other brands whose drivers had incident rates above 30.00.

Mercury has the best drivers in the year analyzed. Mercury drivers had 15.82 incidents per 1,000 drivers nationally — less than half the rate of incidents among Ram drivers. Pontiac (16.24) and Saturn (16.84) followed.

Looking closer, Ram has the worst drivers in 23 states. That means Ram drivers had the highest incident rates of any brand analyzed in nearly half of all U.S. states. Of the states where Ram dominated, drivers were worst in Massachusetts at 64.44 incidents per 1,000 drivers. Meanwhile, Tesla drivers were the worst in 11 states — the only other brand in the double digits.

Tesla drivers have the highest accident rate. From Nov. 14, 2022, through Nov. 14, 2023, Tesla drivers had 23.54 accidents per 1,000 drivers. Ram (22.76) and Subaru (20.90) were the only other brands with more than 20.00 accidents per 1,000 drivers. Meanwhile, Pontiac (8.41), Mercury (8.96) and Saturn (9.13) were the only brands with fewer than 10.00 accidents per 1,000 drivers.

BMW drivers have the highest DUI rate by a wide margin. BMW drivers had 3.13 DUIs per 1,000 drivers — nearly twice the rate of DUIs among Ram drivers (1.72), the next-highest ranking auto brand. On the other end, Mitsubishi (0.89), Volvo (0.92), and Mercury and Kia drivers (both 0.93) had the lowest DUI rates. Just nine of the 30 brands analyzed had DUI rates below 1.00 among their drivers.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

They don't make saturns anymore, but lol at bmw dui rate. It truly is the mid-life crisis mobile.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Interesting. Why in the world would Mercury's have the least amount of incidents?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Drivers that drive slower than the speed limit but pick up the pace when you try to pass them can burn in hell.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

redshirt posted:

Interesting. Why in the world would Mercury's have the least amount of incidents?

There are only nine Mercury owners left in the world and they only drive two miles from the Senior Living Center to the Boston Market.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Modal Auxiliary posted:

There are only nine Mercury owners left in the world and they only drive two miles from the Senior Living Center to the Boston Market.

The Grand Marquis is the official car of old poor people.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Azuth0667 posted:

They don't make saturns anymore, but lol at bmw dui rate. It truly is the mid-life crisis mobile.

Despite the fact they don't make them anymore, for some reason when I see a Saturn on the road in my area they tend to look 'newer' than they should. Not much rust that I notice, mostly in good shape, etc. People take good care of those for some reason.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I wouldn't call myself a good driver by any means but I'm shocked by how many violations I witness day to day. Running stop signs especially, also lots of speeding in residential areas. Twice in the past year, I've seen people going the wrong way on a one-way street and that's twice too often... I'm very glad to have a dashcam.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm thinking of getting one but the one i tried was worse than a potato

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

I wouldn't call myself a good driver by any means but I'm shocked by how many violations I witness day to day. Running stop signs especially, also lots of speeding in residential areas. Twice in the past year, I've seen people going the wrong way on a one-way street and that's twice too often... I'm very glad to have a dashcam.

I don't want my insurance company to know how often I sing along to industrial metal songs during my commute

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I turned off the audio recording haha.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Most my dashcams I've ever bought turn into garbage and their batteries are useless right out of the box. mSD cards just die after a few months, too, and the interface for accessing video is almost a nightmare on all of them, and trying to get video OFF of it it's also a pain as I found one of my cameras apparently was saving content in some format nothing but the camera could play back.

The next dashcam I buy I'm going to take a needle and poke the microphone and try to break it, though. (I know I can turn off audio recording, but hit the wrong button and it turns right back on)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Despite the fact they don't make them anymore, for some reason when I see a Saturn on the road in my area they tend to look 'newer' than they should. Not much rust that I notice, mostly in good shape, etc. People take good care of those for some reason.

My family owned two Saturn's, and they kept really well. The polymer exterior never rusted, and they survived multiple prairie winters. If they survived the '08 auto crisis, I'd totally buy a boring ol' Saturn.

Living in a small town, driving isn't too bad, but you can fully expect half of these people to not follow/understand the rules of the road and do something unexpected and dangerous. When we got our first roundabout it was chaos.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

“It’s not me I’m worried about, it’s everyone else’s driving”

- every bad driver ever

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Most my dashcams I've ever bought turn into garbage and their batteries are useless right out of the box. mSD cards just die after a few months, too, and the interface for accessing video is almost a nightmare on all of them, and trying to get video OFF of it it's also a pain as I found one of my cameras apparently was saving content in some format nothing but the camera could play back.

The next dashcam I buy I'm going to take a needle and poke the microphone and try to break it, though. (I know I can turn off audio recording, but hit the wrong button and it turns right back on)

This is the problem I've encountered, the viofo cameras I've used just seem to stop recording for no reason. I think I'd be better off with a webcam and lovely laptop recording it.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

The only better driver than myself was 1995 world rally champion Colin Steele McRae

Unfortunately he wasn’t a top 2 helicopter pilot, I’ve been waiting for another challenger for a while like a dark souls boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Also I lived in Amish country in PA for a bit and the drivers were all fantastic. There was a nearby velodrome where a lot of pros raced, so between all the cyclists and horsedrawn carriages and poo poo motorists were just unbelievably patient and impressively aware of their surroundings. Went back like two years ago and it was still the same deal.

Also Japan had pretty great drivers when I lived there, but that's probably a combination of the incredibly stringent licensure requirements and the pervasive cultural collectivism. That was also like 10 years ago, they could all be crazy cell phone zombies by now.

Hi, I still live in that area and while I agree that the local drivers are mostly better than I've seen anywhere else I've lived, the tourons are all from New Jersey and NYC with everything that entails, driving-wise. You get a lot of them driving 25 MPH on the back roads, then getting pissed off when you try to pass them and turning their focus from enjoying the peaceful farmland to loving with you personally as much as possible.

It's much worse in the summer than in the fall, because once the school year begins the average tourist age goes up to about 70, and the septuagenarians don't really care if you pass them while they're toodling along at 25 MPH.

The downside to driving around here is it seems to be the pickup+huge-rear end trailer capital of the eastern US. Thank the gods it's mostly flat.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 24, 2023