Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The Belichick/Brady dynasty broke so many brains. Tomlin hasn't had a losing season in 16 loving years of coaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Mike Tomlin is cool and nice and will coach the Steelers for many more years with some great seasons and some disappointing seasons and overall a very successful tenure.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

is pepsi ok posted:

Does Tomlin run Erhardt-Perkins? I thought I remembered reading that once. That would definitely make the transition to the Pats easier.

He doesn't run anything on offense. He just went with what Ben wanted. Canada was a hold over from that.

Also

Parallax posted:

have we considered gently caress tomlin and his dirty players

He reminds me of Steve Kerr with Draymond. I don't think he's actually telling his players to be dirty, but he just turns a blind eye and excuses all of that with a hand wave. It sucks.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

michael

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 23, 2023

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The expectations fans have of coaches remind of Lou Holtz's story about Notre Dame. "The expectations at Notre Dame were always so difficult. When I went there they said, ‘coach, we just want to be competitive.’ The first year we lost five games by a total of 14 points, which I thought was competitive, and the alums said, ‘no you don’t understand, competitive to us means to win not just come close. The second year we win and go to the cotton bowl and they said, ‘we don’t just want you to win, we want you to win them all.’ The third year we win them all and they said, ‘no we meant by a big score.’”

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Come to Seattle Tomlin. We have three kickass receivers and a not total disaster at QB. Oh, Witherspoon is already cool with suplexing dudes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ThePoniExpress/status/1738655164439879741

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Tomlin would be a good fit there at all. They are going after Vrabel.

You know there's no way Vrabel is getting fired right?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

mcmagic posted:

The duality of Tomlin is that his staff and his QB's are complete dogshit every year and he still wins 10 games every year lol

Enh, 8 or 9 moreso than 10

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Fire Suck Failure

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I just wanted to throw Zac Taylor out there. I’ve always felt like he limited the Bengals.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wrong thread so lol Zac Taylor

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kirios posted:

I just wanted to throw Zac Taylor out there. I’ve always felt like he limited the Bengals.

He's been to two straight AFCCG, came extremely close in the superbowl and his teams 8-6. There's no way he's getting fired.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

BlindSite posted:

He's been to two straight AFCCG, came extremely close in the superbowl and his teams 8-6. There's no way he's getting fired.
All in spite of him

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Kirios posted:

He made an insanely bad playcall on that short 4th down but he's had 2 franchise cornerstones injured for significant chunks of this year. His seat is ice cold until at least the end of next year.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
On the other hand he's losing 24-0 to the Mason Rudolph Steelers so

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Remember the insanely long leash Marvin Lewis had, and he never even won a playoff game. Zac Taylor is probably safe for the rest of the decade.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happy to report Tomlin coached a blowout game win on primetime. Right now in fact!

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Last week was so personally embarrassing to Tomlin that he put it to the Bengals. He'll never get fired this way

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tepper would probably give Tomlin part ownership to come over to the Panthers. He's probably got a job for life in Pittsburgh.

Reading a little today rumour is Tepper is keen to keep a few of the coaches there right now including Evero and Tabor and wants to put an offensive minded head coach with them. I don't know why, maybe its because he's a loving idiot but it sounded a little like he almost wanted more of a partnership between the Offensive and defensive sides and not a main leader which has disaster written all over it, so I hope I'm wrong.

I honestly have no idea how they're going to get the right guy at this point. Reich was clearly well in over his head and Rhule never really got started as a profession NFL head coach. I don't know what they do at this point. At this poiint I'd almost be happy to keep Tabor. At least the team looks a little more like they want to be there with him at the helm. Saw some better things in general too, like there was a late hit on bryce against atlanta and one of the guards sorted it out real quick, which is in contrast to earlier this year when he got levelled late and his offensive line didn't cook off deluxe about it, which pissed me off.

I'd rather a 15 yard personal foul or an ejection because they get square for a cheap shot than nothing at all. The switch back to a power gap scheme has revolutionised the running game, adding in more RPO concepts, moving Bryce off the spot, letting him play his more natural game, focussing on guys who can run a little after the catch like Chark, Tremble and Mingo offensively over throwing perimeter screens to Thielen. I dunno if an organisation has ever chosen to do a mulligan year while they figure out what they're doing - I guess the Texans did during Watsons hold out? But tbh if Carolina said they were going to go with Tabor and just get some pieces in place I'd be happier than taking another swing on a college coach or taking up a young OC who's potentially going to crumble under owner pressure.

In an ideal world Tepper would have some kind of come to jesus moment and just gently caress off to the background and let like.. Harbaugh run the show, but I don't see it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BlindSite posted:

Reading a little today rumour is Tepper is keen to keep a few of the coaches there right now including Evero and Tabor and wants to put an offensive minded head coach with them. I don't know why, maybe its because he's a loving idiot but it sounded a little like he almost wanted more of a partnership between the Offensive and defensive sides and not a main leader which has disaster written all over it, so I hope I'm wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't this exactly what he did with the Reich hire? If he learned literally nothing from this year, good god...

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

sweet thursday posted:

All in spite of him

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Q_res posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't this exactly what he did with the Reich hire? If he learned literally nothing from this year, good god...

he's a deeply stupid finance guy, yes

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Q_res posted:

He encouraged Reich to be collaborative with guys who were outside his circle and that's why they hired a bunch of guys separately. Mainly because apparently Phil Snow was a bit of an influence over Rhule and I guess Tepper didn't want to continue the cronyism hires that tend to plague some coaches. Which in hindsight isn't a bad idea. I wonder though if it caused some philisophical type push back in the building and that's probably why we had a bit of a too many cooks situation with the plan for Bryce.

Tabor seems like a pretty hard headed, no bullshit kinda dude. Where he's just gone, we're built to be a power blocking team, so we're back to that. Bryce does these things well so lets do more of them, whereas Reich was trying to shove a square peg into a round hole in a bunch of places on the offense.

I get as a coach you need to stick to what got you there in some ways, but the changes are so obvious even a loving idiot like me were calling for from like week 4 and the moment someone's made those changes the team's looked improved. The results haven't quite been there, at all and there's going to be some naysayers but I kind of feel like the team's back to where they were this time last year. Just using the bits they actually have in a relatively simple game plan and lo and behold it's working.

Panthers are just in a forest for the trees type era and it's kind of showing everywhere. Everyone talks about culture and leadership and all that stuff, but every move from coaching, to drafting, to roster, to game day play calling, it's just consistently trying to out think the room and coming up with the dumbest solutions to simple problems.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

BlindSite posted:

He encouraged Reich to be collaborative with guys who were outside his circle and that's why they hired a bunch of guys separately. Mainly because apparently Phil Snow was a bit of an influence over Rhule and I guess Tepper didn't want to continue the cronyism hires that tend to plague some coaches. Which in hindsight isn't a bad idea. I wonder though if it caused some philisophical type push back in the building and that's probably why we had a bit of a too many cooks situation with the plan for Bryce.

What we should be taking from Reich's failure to even start is coaches do need say in who their assistants are. This was pitched as the whose who of assistants and it failed spectacularly.

It's funny that Tepper is learning the same lesson Jimmy Haslam took right up to loving Stefanski to learn. You can't just force these groups together and give them back channels to shittalk each other to you. Tepper was previously a minority owner of the Steelers right? Little pattern there if he was because so was Jimmy.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Being on the same page for what needs to be done is the base foundation for any sort of success

Having a coaching staff that goes against that sounds like the worst idea ever, that could only be cooked up by someone as big brained as an NFL owner

The risk of sycophants and cronyism is what it is, but you have to be 100% collaborative as a start

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

BlindSite posted:

Tepper would probably give Tomlin part ownership to come over to the Panthers. He's probably got a job for life in Pittsburgh.

Tepper was banging the table to fire Tomlin years ago so uh, nah.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The337th posted:

Being on the same page for what needs to be done is the base foundation for any sort of success

Having a coaching staff that goes against that sounds like the worst idea ever, that could only be cooked up by someone as big brained as an NFL owner

The risk of sycophants and cronyism is what it is, but you have to be 100% collaborative as a start

The common thing I always here is trust. and I know my professional life in management is a far cry from the pressure of being a head coach, but it does make a difference when you have a short hand and can trust someone who's subordinate, especially in a pressure situation and how much it sucks when you don't have that. You've got to balance between cronyism and having someone the HC can rely on who's also capable of doing their job.

Props to Reich for being open to it, but you can see why so often coaches hire their family or their friends or former players.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Roasted Donut posted:

Tepper was banging the table to fire Tomlin years ago so uh, nah.

FR? I've never heard that story, but I'd be happy to?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

BlindSite posted:

FR? I've never heard that story, but I'd be happy to?

Pre-covid some of the minority owners were making a big stink about moving on from him and Tepper was supposedly at the head of it.

edit: my sense of time is warped, this would have been after they got embarrassed yet again by the patriots in the playoffs so 2016-17 right before Tepper bought the Panthers.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tepper sounds like the sort of MBA finance dipshit who read a synopsis of Team of Rivals and decided that if it was good enough for Lincoln it’s good enough to win a SuperBowl.

Also the sort of MBA finance dipshit should never in a million years surround himself with people who weren’t spineless yes men.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Roasted Donut posted:

Pre-covid some of the minority owners were making a big stink about moving on from him and Tepper was supposedly at the head of it.

edit: my sense of time is warped, this would have been after they got embarrassed yet again by the patriots in the playoffs so 2016-17 right before Tepper bought the Panthers.

poo poo he is just Jimmy all over again. Panthers fans you've got another 4 years of dumb bullshit ahead

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

poo poo he is just Jimmy all over again. Panthers fans you've got another 4 years of dumb bullshit ahead

Four feels optimistic

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Young trade up was SOOOOOOOOOOOo bad. To me that is an example of "we are taking a QB because we need a QB" not "we are taking a QB because this specific guy is a great QB"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mcmagic posted:

The Young trade up was SOOOOOOOOOOOo bad. To me that is an example of "we are taking a QB because we need a QB" not "we are taking a QB because this specific guy is a great QB"

and yet it would have been found if they took stroud

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Well, we'll know for sure this time next year. To be fair the panthers had already tried - sticking with the established veteran in Cam, signing the best available free agent who'd flashed in limited action with Teddy Bridge, trading for a guy who needed a new situation with Darnold, signing the best available veteran with Baker.

They'd kicked the tyres on guys in between - including an XFL retread. I don't think its a bad thing to trade away one future draft to try and get your guy. I know it's not great if you don't, but you have to take swings at QB til you hit.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

R.D. Mangles posted:

and yet it would have been found if they took stroud

Yeah, thats the wild thing - it's a terrible trade in terms of value, but it would have maybe been worth it if they landed Stroud. But now its just....absolutely devastating. And on a guy that everyone looks at and are like "man, I just feel bad for this guy." It hasn't even been a year yet!

I'm positive the Bears will replicate this in the coming draft.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
The Chargers looked a million times better tonight without Staley. If they had Herbert still, I don't think the Bills would've stood much of a chance.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah if Herbie, Keenan and Mike Williams weren’t all dead that would have been a vintage Bills meltdown vs a team that just allowed 60 to the Raiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Cameron Dicker rules