Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Aramoro posted:

I like to imagine that in the decade or so between the 2 the writers learnt that humans are apes and not monkeys and fixed it for tau.

Don't worry, they even learned how to carry on with the jokaero. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Warmachine posted:

I thought the Eldar "mon-keigh" was a relatively modern lore development. It certainly wasn't present in the Dawn of War games, for example, in the times you encountered or played as Eldar. Meanwhile I'm pretty sure gue-la was some OG Codex Tau stuff.

according to lexicanum its in the glossary in the 3rd Edition Eldar codex so it predates Dawn of War by quite a bit

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

evilmiera posted:

One way Owlcat dropped the ball, 100 percent, is in lack of reactivity to you being a psyker. Like I think the only time it ever even comes up aside from that starting conversation is a throwaway line when you get to the Warrant of Trade. There's at least three times off the top of my head I can think of that could and should involve those powers but it just never gets mentioned. I guess Baldur's Gate's reactivity spoiled me a bit.

Pathfinder WOTR was a lot more reactive than this. Tons of references to your race and your deity (or lack thereof), even whole conversation branches and quest rewards only available to specific races. Like the obvious Dhampir barkeeper. If you aren't a Dhampir, your character is left wondering if he really is one, but if you are one you can ask him for "The drinks for our kind" and he'll serve you elf blood.

Or how the Lich makes constant reference to a player Dhampir being an "incomplete" undead.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I thought the Eldar "mon-keigh" was a relatively modern lore development. It certainly wasn't present in the Dawn of War games, for example, in the times you encountered or played as Eldar. Meanwhile I'm pretty sure gue-la was some OG Codex Tau stuff.

It was in the Eldar codex in the 90s which I know because that's when I played 40k table top. I'm not actually sure when tau where introduced, maybe it was the same time?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The Dawn of War devs thought mon-keigh was too dumb to put in their game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Further Reading posted:

They were right.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Completely unrelated to anything, the sterilization thing in DoW was the second dumbest Tau lore in the setting.

I do want to see more cool races in Rogue Trader overall though. Just more of everything would be nice, long as the bugs are kept in check.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

They were right.

I think missing out all the big obvious jokes is what has led to people thinking Space Marines are good guys and missing the whole shitck of the setting though.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

If a developer thinks they need to cut out a part of the 40k setting because it’s too dumb, that’s a sign they don’t really get the setting they’re writing for.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Relic also kept making Chaos Sorcerers followers of Khorne too so their grasp on the lore was literally always insanely shaky

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aramoro posted:

It was in the Eldar codex in the 90s which I know because that's when I played 40k table top. I'm not actually sure when tau where introduced, maybe it was the same time?

I never had the Eldar codex. Tau came in 3rd Edition, which is right about when I first learned about 40k.

Jack Trades posted:

They were right.

:chloe:

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If a developer thinks they need to cut out a part of the 40k setting because it’s too dumb, that’s a sign they don’t really get the setting they’re writing for.

:haibrow:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I couldn't put my finger on what the hell was going on with Calligos, so it was really funny when I (Act 4 spoilers) took forever to choose between siding with him or the aeldari on Quetza Temer. I finally decided that killing a handful of space elves and getting to know his situation wasn't worth the Haemonculus getting away and losing a lead on Crudarach's survivors, so I sided with the aeldari. Calligos immediately yells "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD" and Worten kills the native psyker to summon some Bloodletters. :ms:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I couldn't put my finger on what the hell was going on with Calligos, so it was really funny when I (Act 4 spoilers) took forever to choose between siding with him or the aeldari on Quetza Temer. I finally decided that killing a handful of space elves and getting to know his situation wasn't worth the Haemonculus getting away and losing a lead on Crudarach's survivors, so I sided with the aeldari. Calligos immediately yells "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD" and Worten kills the native psyker to summon some Bloodletters. :ms:

Always happy to get post-facto justification for my loose interpretation of my Warrant's rights on dealing with xenos.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
This game got me more interested in the 40k setting than I ever had been before and I am so glad it’s actually quite farcical and not totally extra serious grimdark like I’d been led to believe.

Love the orks. Love the monkey jokes. Love my sassy tech priest.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

emSparkly posted:

This game got me more interested in the 40k setting than I ever had been before and I am so glad it’s actually quite farcical and not totally extra serious grimdark like I’d been led to believe.

The big boss of the orkz is named after Thatcher, 40k started as being abt havin fun and tellin jokes

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Further Reading posted:

It's in all the dawn of war games. It's probably where most people heard it the first time and why a lot of people are more familiar with the mon kaigh pronounciation.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

emSparkly posted:

There was a period in the late 00s-early teens where the inmates took over the asylum and it started taking itself seriously in the worst ways possible, but they've done a pretty good job lately of bringing back the tone of the older 40k while still making it more accessible to new players and audiences. I've got a lot of friends who never had any interest in 40k that put Rogue Trader on their Steam wishlist after I showed them the stock RT portraits and told them it was about being a space privateer in a galaxy full of aliens and daemons.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

emSparkly posted:

Yeah the setting is very campy. I like the dichotomy between what the setting says and what the people actually do.

Henrick : Heresy is the worst thing anyone can do!

Also Henrick : hmm I will have a little heresy as a treat!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Fighting Eldar got a whole lot easier once you know to save the Assassin and Bounty Hunter heroic moments for them, plus the Blessed Bolter Casing. That casing is so important there should be a quest attached to finding it.

There's no way they don't nerf that item.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
bah the act 3 end boss has come back from the dead on me more than 10 times now, i guess my game is hosed i think it has something to do with a certain dark elf's flags getting messed up and him disappearing from my party even though he has a quest for this fight

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

It's been around for a long time but you mostly saw it in writing so I don't know if people really got the joke.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Buschmaki posted:

The big boss of the orkz is named after Thatcher, 40k started as being abt havin fun and tellin jokes

They also all talk like chavs. :allears:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Am I supposed to not be able to pick up any Psyker/Navigator powers when leveling up my second archetype or did the latest patch just break that/it's a bug?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Devorum posted:

Getting a weird bug after the patch...all my information and dialogue windows are transparent, effectively making the game unplayable because I can't read anything.

Yeah been happening for a while so...it's cool.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

drat Henrick is spicy, he just offered to gently caress in the middle of the street

(I'm 98% sure this is some sort of wrong dialog bug but lmao)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xun posted:

drat Henrick is spicy, he just offered to gently caress in the middle of the street

He'll just hang the rosette on a chair and everyone will avert their eyes and step around.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Nephthys posted:

Am I supposed to not be able to pick up any Psyker/Navigator powers when leveling up my second archetype or did the latest patch just break that/it's a bug?

I don't think the psyker stuff is supposed to be not selectable at that point, cause you have the talent that increases your psy rating and it requires like, level 20 for the 2nd level of it and so on so that'd make it impossible to take at all for any psyker. Probably a bug, I'd hope so.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

this game is way better than the pathfinder games mechanically

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Broooo they added a tiny bit of zoom out to the space map. Or maybe I never tried. I'm pretty sure I did.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Quick question: is there a way to restart the game with the same character? I missed some things tsking back the ship, but don't want to rebuild my Crime Lord from scratch. (By the time I finished the intro and owned the boat, the saves I could have used were long-overwritten; maxed out save slots now, but it's too late for this run.)

Hope that more appearance choices can be added by modders, I'm a bit annoyed that I can't build my portrait's half-metal-face-and-glowy-eye look.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Ygolonac posted:

Quick question: is there a way to restart the game with the same character? I missed some things tsking back the ship, but don't want to rebuild my Crime Lord from scratch. (By the time I finished the intro and owned the boat, the saves I could have used were long-overwritten; maxed out save slots now, but it's too late for this run.)

Hope that more appearance choices can be added by modders, I'm a bit annoyed that I can't build my portrait's half-metal-face-and-glowy-eye look.

No.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wonder if they had the party size smaller during development but decided to bring it back to previous game 6 before release. There really isn't enough companions for a 6 person party since you spend a lot of the game with only 1 or 2 extra options. The larger party size also exaggerates the extra turn stacking potential of Officers. Leveling up is also more of a mess with a full party of 6 to dig through the endless perk list.

Another reason I'm not as jazzed as normal about replays because a heretic or orthodox party is gonna look pretty similar.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ygolonac posted:

You get items that will be your glow eyes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Mon-keigh is a good joke but it’s got the exaggerated mon-kay pronunciation so you have to think about it for half a second to go “waaaaait a minute”

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Wasn’t there a gweilo type phrase the eldar used really early on before the tau were added and the eldar were the vaguely Asian analogue

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bolter Goddess Argenta is completely cracked. Once she gets rolling an Officer taking their turn can get her to fire 5 bursts and gain 14 Versatility, and then there's what she does on her own turns.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Is Pathfinder WOTR worth playing? I really like this.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WOTR is also really good, but you have to enjoy or at least tolerate PF 1st edition.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

I wonder if they had the party size smaller during development but decided to bring it back to previous game 6 before release. There really isn't enough companions for a 6 person party since you spend a lot of the game with only 1 or 2 extra options.

RT, Abelard, Argenta, Cassia, Idira, Jae, Heinrix, Pasqual, Yrliet, Ulfar, Marazhai, and whichever secret companion if you get one is 12. You have 9 by act 3, and 11 by act 4.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Is Pathfinder WOTR worth playing? I really like this.

Yeah, it's phenomenal. Really rich and engaging story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
NPC driven crpgs should have large parties. I modded 6 members in BG3 and can't imagine playimg vanilla.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 24, 2023