Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

If this means what I think it means I am going to become engorged. This gives Microsoft at least five get-outs on annoying poo poo they'll do to Edge in the future.

Edit: Just groups for now https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/entra/identity/hybrid/cloud-sync/how-to-configure-entra-to-active-directory

When we get user-write back it's all over for these Ho's on-prem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Our on prem AD going away by end of q1, wrap it up

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dans Macabre posted:

y'all hiring

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Dans Macabre posted:

lucky you, I wish there was a tool to move the machines without disjoining rejoining every single one

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Serfer posted:

lucky you, I wish there was a tool to move the machines without disjoining rejoining every single one

Yeah, this :(

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Dans Macabre posted:

You can't get rid of DNS you'll regret this!!!!

Also, please submit DNS solutions for a post-ADDNS world.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://infoblox.com

https://bluecatnetworks.com

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd be interested in Azure DNS Private Resolver if they introduced a lower tier for networks that aren't putting 10k queries per second through it

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

y'all hiring

I wish

Serfer posted:

I wish this too, but we're gonna power through it / doing our hardware refresh ahead of schedule to make it slightly less painful.

incoherent posted:

Our new HQ already doesn't have any servers on site (other than a synology NAS) and we're just using external DNS, so far so good. People are mapping to the NAS by IP, as they are to the printer, good enough!

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

incoherent posted:

We're using aadds. Azure spins up a couple DCs that mirror your Entra footprint, you tell Intune to make that their default DNS domain, and you're good for internal DNS.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm a data guy trying to learn AD DS from zero, for a new gig. For practice, I've used virtualbox to spin up a DC and a Win10 workstation. I then set up DNS and NAT and have the basics working together.

Rookie question on a practical scenario I want to try:
  • I have a new group of employees coming in. I have a list of their names.
  • I'd like to automate the creation of a user account for each employee
  • I'd like to create a fileshare for the new employees, and inside the fileshare I'd like to create a folder for each employee
  • Make it so each employee can only see their own folder
  • Automate all this with a powershell script
  • BONUS: what controls a network fileshare being automatically mapped when a user logs into a workstation? From what I've seen they have to manually type the network path to find their folder.

This seems relatively doable for beginner, given my current virtual environment, right? Any other practical, or realistic, steps I should add to the exercise to improve my learning?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

I'm a data guy trying to learn AD DS from zero, for a new gig. For practice, I've used virtualbox to spin up a DC and a Win10 workstation. I then set up DNS and NAT and have the basics working together.
This seems relatively doable for beginner, given my current virtual environment, right? Any other practical, or realistic, steps I should add to the exercise to improve my learning?

If you have options, you might want to reconsider this gig. All of these workflows are things a reasonable enterprise has abstracted off AD.

To answer the question directly, yes you can do it. GPO or a logon script for the bonus. None of that should be happening except the user account creation automated off your IDP though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you have options, you might want to reconsider this gig. All of these workflows are things a reasonable enterprise has abstracted off AD.

To answer the question directly, yes you can do it. GPO or a logon script for the bonus. None of that should be happening except the user account creation automated off your IDP though.

Thanks for the insight. At the moment, other options involve a smaller paycheck. So for now... AD #1! AD #1!

At a high level, what would you say the modern Microsoft alternative is? Entra ID for the users and something to do with OneDrive for the personal folders?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the insight. At the moment, other options involve a smaller paycheck. So for now... AD #1! AD #1!

At a high level, what would you say the modern Microsoft alternative is? Entra ID for the users and something to do with OneDrive for the personal folders?

Pretty much. If you're building a new environment Entra (or a non-Microsoft IDP that easily wires into Entra) is the cleanest path for user account management in an M365 environment that gives you all of the other user services including file shares. Assuming no legacy app integration this all wires into on-prem AD pretty easily, but chances are the reason this org is asking these questions is legacy app integration.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Pretty much. If you're building a new environment Entra (or a non-Microsoft IDP that easily wires into Entra) is the cleanest path for user account management in an M365 environment that gives you all of the other user services including file shares. Assuming no legacy app integration this all wires into on-prem AD pretty easily, but chances are the reason this org is asking these questions is legacy app integration.

Hmm. I have a M365 Developer sandbox. Might see if I can figure out how to sync it with my homelab AD DC, as another exercise. Thanks!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Hmm. I have a M365 Developer sandbox. Might see if I can figure out how to sync it with my homelab AD DC, as another exercise. Thanks!

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/entra/identity/devices/hybrid-join-plan

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hughmoris posted:

Rookie question on a practical scenario I want to try:
  • I have a new group of employees coming in. I have a list of their names.
  • I'd like to automate the creation of a user account for each employee
  • I'd like to create a fileshare for the new employees, and inside the fileshare I'd like to create a folder for each employee
  • Make it so each employee can only see their own folder
  • Automate all this with a powershell script
  • BONUS: what controls a network fileshare being automatically mapped when a user logs into a workstation? From what I've seen they have to manually type the network path to find their folder.

Use powershell for #1/2 - have it iterate through a CSV via for loop and create user accounts, I would add a bunch of info like email address, phone number etc so you have multiple fields to fill out.
#3/4/6 can be done through GPO, do NOT use homefolders in AD, some places still use it but it's dumb, if you want to learn it... you input the info into a single field in AD and it creates the folder with correct permissions, just google it.

It wouldn't hurt to know this stuff because your place might (I can almost guarantee you it does) still have plenty of legacy on-prem data living in fileshares.

Many/a lot of places have moved to folder redirection to OneDrive, so they'll redirect your desktop/documents and maybe a few other profile folders to OneDrive so they sync.
- Old way was to do it via GPO as well and have docs/desktop/etc redirected to file server, I'm sure plenty of places still have this in place as well and you can look into it

None of this stuff is hard and will be a pretty quick thing to learn, it's useful to know imo despite plenty of people being on the "durrr use the cloud hurf durf" train, yes, you should try to get away from as much legacy stuff as you can but there's plenty of places out there still using it and your goal would be to migrate away from it.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 23, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I have my own little Server 2022 setup on consumer hardware for various things and I'm trying to do some unholy poo poo that I don't know if I can actually do...

The setup:
• Server 2022
• Running on X570S (Gigabyte Pro AV X570S)
• Drives are all their own - no RAID or ZFS.

I want to:
• Convert the box's SATA mode from AHCI to RAID so I can start dropping RAID1 arrays in it managed by the motherboard and it's utility (RaidXpert2)
• Preserve my existing installation of Windows Server 2022 while doing so.

I've tried:
• Basically all the 'treat this like a normal machine' steps. Installing Gigabyte's provided RAID driver, then AMD's. Both come back complaining about the OS.

In my head, this was going to be as easy as just installing the raid drivers from AMD, converting it to RAID, and calling it a day. In reality, getting AMD's driver installation to play nice with Server 2022 has been real rough. Just pulling their drivers from the website has not yielded the results I wanted. I'm wondering if I can just drop the SATA Raid drivers in the system32/drivers folder and restart if they will 'just work'...

Any cool and neat ideas on how to make this happen?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What's your goal with using the "hardware" RAID? You probably won't gain much that you couldn't do with Windows' own dynamic disks, or maybe using ReFS. (I don't remember, can you boot from either of those now?)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

What's your goal with using the "hardware" RAID? You probably won't gain much that you couldn't do with Windows' own dynamic disks, or maybe using ReFS. (I don't remember, can you boot from either of those now?)

Is Windows dynamic disks actually worth a drat these days? I've been out of the sysadmin career for many a years, but historically WIndows' solution was considered very slow and had real big problems with losing arrays when the power goes out. RAID5 managed by WIndows has long been considered a HUGE trap last I was looking at it. Has it improved a lot since Server 2016?

The goal here ultimately is that I want RAID1 (or better yet, RAID5) in a way that I could recover the data off the array of the OS blew up. I don't have infinite compute, so performance matters at least somewhat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've been out of the BOFH game for a while myself, but isn't RAID 10 vastly preferred to RAID5 nowadays?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

IIRC Storage Spaces Direct is the new hotness in windows drive clustering

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is Windows dynamic disks actually worth a drat these days?

Yes. Dynamic disk pools with storage spaces work very well. I’ve even done an array upgrade on mine of evacuate disk -> swap in bigger disk, rebalance, repeat.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I ended up doing the Storage Spaces thing. Is there any way to know when a disk fails here? Does Windows Server honk at me, or is this just a, 'better keep an eye on it...' kind of ordeal?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You could go next level and do a "cluster in a box" storage spaces with dedupe for simulating HA.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

You could go next level and do a "cluster in a box" storage spaces with dedupe for simulating HA.

If i had the IO, i would probably take a swing at that. Right now, the setup is a couple RAID1 Arrays with a hot spare

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

deduplication and compression I/O can be totally on your schedule and your terms

and it is shocking how effective dedupe on win 2019/2022 is

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dans Macabre posted:

I wish this too, but we're gonna power through it / doing our hardware refresh ahead of schedule to make it slightly less painful.

This is the pro move, squeeze multiple projects together into one.

Pure hell for a while, then smooth sailing.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This has piqued my interest. Does Okta fit this definition?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

At least Okta and Ping are fine, until you start adding complexity basically any IDP that does SAML will work with Entra.

Old but still mostly relevant I think:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56843

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
We have a bunch of AD groups that are populating exchange to create Distribution lists.
A lot of these AD groups are no longer needed, but we don't know if anyone has used the Distros to create alerts or if they were disseminated to field offices as a point of contact.
I would like to be able to delete these AD groups and Distros but to take all the email addresses that were associated with them and add them as aliases to one of the remaining Distribution Lists so that if anything is setup to mail them, they'll just get forwarded to the remaining Distro.
My Exchange contact is telling me this is impossible and giving me a dozen different alternatives that all amount to "delete the distros and hope nobody needs them" which seems dumb to me.

So, is it possible to just add a bunch of aliases to a Distro in Exchange?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You should get a new Exchange contact, because you can easily add aliases to distribution lists.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/recipients-in-exchange-online/manage-distribution-groups/manage-distribution-groups

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm working my way through a toy project with Entra ID and M365, and am stumbling on groups. Hopefully one of you ID/AD wizards can help.

In a business environment, when should I be using Microsoft 365 groups versus Security Groups? Or do I use them both together? My short term goal for this toy project is to create fictional families in a town. Each family will have their own sharepoint site and Teams channel. Permissions should prevent a member of Family A looking at the chat or files of Family B.

I'm using the free M365 sandbox for all this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Security groups are for if you only need to logically organize security concerns.

Like, Group A needs to have a contributor role Azure.

M365 Groups automatically create additional resources/enable features in M365.

M365 Groups have different features depending on how they are created:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

Security groups are for if you only need to logically organize security concerns.

Like, Group A needs to have a contributor role Azure.

M365 Groups automatically create additional resources/enable features in M365.

M365 Groups have different features depending on how they are created:

Ok that makes sense. Looks like I'll roll with M365 groups for now. Thanks!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On the subject of groups, I'm convinced I've seen documentation somewhere that says you can use security groups to grant access to Exchange features like mailbox permissions, but I've never gotten this to work, and the group has always needed to be mail-enabled to work. This would be fine but then you lose the ability to do this with dynamic security groups.

Was I reading something that had a typo in, or should it be possible to grant access to things in Exchange using security groups that aren't mail enabled?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

On the subject of groups, I'm convinced I've seen documentation somewhere that says you can use security groups to grant access to Exchange features like mailbox permissions, but I've never gotten this to work, and the group has always needed to be mail-enabled to work. This would be fine but then you lose the ability to do this with dynamic security groups.

Was I reading something that had a typo in, or should it be possible to grant access to things in Exchange using security groups that aren't mail enabled?

It has to be mail-enabled as far as I've seen, I have NOT gotten a regular security group to work and I was just trying again a few days ago.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yeah, the control group must be mail enabled its how exchange knows what it is. You can go in after and hide it from the GAL and restrict so nobody can send do it if you want.

There is new group writeback to onprem in Azure AD which might have some interesting implications for dynamic cloud/onprem groups but its brand new and we haven't poked at it yet.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Azure and Entra ID question:

I have two environments in my toy project. Environment-A is my personal Azure account. Environment-B is my free M365 sandbox with a user called Homer Simpson.

I'd like to grant Homer Simpson access to the Springfield Power Plant VM in my personal Azure account. Maybe grant him access to my Springfield Power Plant azure file share.

Is this where I'd look at Entra ID B2B? Or would this scenario be handled through some sort of Azure guest user? The end goal is to learn a solution that a business might realistically use (to pad my resume).

If someone could point me in the right direction to start researching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd start with cross-tenant synchronisation, which is a less high-touch feature building on top of B2B collaboration

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/entra/identity/multi-tenant-organizations/cross-tenant-synchronization-overview

Whether this works will come down more to whether guest users can access the features you need them to access than the exact method you are using to manage these external users.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 10, 2024