Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Is there a visual indicator for having done all the Melusine quests for the new sword or does someone know of a list of these quests so I can just look through them?
I don't really know whether there might be anything left to do to power it up.
Was able to buy out their special store and Serene in Merusea village doesn't really point out anyone when I ask her, but you never really know with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Zwiebel posted:

Is there a visual indicator for having done all the Melusine quests for the new sword or does someone know of a list of these quests so I can just look through them?
I don't really know whether there might be anything left to do to power it up.
Was able to buy out their special store and Serene in Merusea village doesn't really point out anyone when I ask her, but you never really know with this game.

afaik Serene is the indicator, if she says you've helped everyone the buff is maxed

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If the store's bought out you should be maxed. I actually had two melusine quests I hadn't done and my buff was maxed so I guess it has some leeway built in.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I lost my 50/50 to c1 Jean :( if only I had the guarantee I was saving for her but wasted on c1 Ayato doing a ten pull at 0 pity fishing for one kuki dupe

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

DancingShade posted:

So my luck on the Navia banner wasn't amazing (I think Star Rail sucked up all my luck recently) but skipping a few banners previously helped so all good. Still enough primos saved to hopefully get musket girl and another Raiden constellation next banner.

Navia C0 with her signature axe and some decent artifacts is good. Nothing world shaking but good and fun to play, so that's a good outcome. Will continue to use.

I am not confident about my ability to get Chinese Bayonetta in 4.4 but ah well, can't have everything.

I decided to dump all my remaining primos on Navia + Navia's signature + Ayaka's signature after reading the 4.4 leaks. Seems like CR will be at most a sidegrade to my C3 Jean, so probably not pulling her.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Anyone knowledgeable enough to say whether these changes would be likely to affect international versions of the games in question?

https://twitter.com/antumbral/status/1738253337659871239

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So unless I'm misunderstanding, that would mean that they would have to have an additional way of getting characters besides pulling for them, but at a fixed price? Not sure how that's better, really.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The rules against "incentives to spend repeatedly" are apparently worded in a way that would make pity systems a violation, and the bit about refunding unspent currency, while it doesn't have much of a direct impact on how the game itself plays, is a massive financial burden that might also shake up how they implement monetization in practice.

I think the general idea is transparency -- most of these factors are designed to obfuscate how much things really cost and nickel and dime people in ways they would balk at if the price tag were presented up front in real money.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

So unless I'm misunderstanding, that would mean that they would have to have an additional way of getting characters besides pulling for them, but at a fixed price? Not sure how that's better, really.
I think the character prices could still be denominated in primogems. So a rate up character could be 16000 primogems or something and come with half a token to pull a standard character + 5 tokens for rate up 4 stars. I don't think it would necessarily change how the game is played but it would reduce a lot of the gambling aspects of it (which is a good thing).

The spending limits portion is too vague to say much about - if the limits are just prohibitions on binge spending ie you can't spend more than $200 in a single day it won't change a whole lot. But if they're prohibitions on how much is allowed to spent on the game period ie $100 a month limits it will have a huge impact.

The piece of it that really changes the game though is the prohibition of daily login rewards. Half to three quarters of primogems come from daily login stuff + welkin and this changes that entirely, you'd have to totally restructure the game. In addition this legislation could hit resin as well and I don't even know what you'd do in that case unless weekly/monthly resin would be allowed.

Very hard to know what the real impact will be especially on non-China servers.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 23, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

from a game design standpoint killing the entire loving concept of dailies would be the #1 best part lol

i can't really tell what effect this would have on e.g. in-game prices (if any); it's a mix of things designed to force them to be "reasonable" (incentivizing lower prices) but also cutting into their bottom line and forcing them to keep a ton of money on hand to deal with the refund clause (incentivizing higher prices) and you'd need to know way more about the Chinese game market than I do to figure out how those pressures weigh relative to each other.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 23, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

from a game design standpoint killing the entire loving concept of dailies would be the #1 best part lol
itd be the opposite. it blocks daily login rewards, theres nothing agaisnt daily missions. so theyd probably get more daily missions, not less

these changes are unlikely to have a super significant effect, theres a lot of ways around them. china has no real interest in actually breaking the gacha companies up, since they're getting them a lot of soft power. its more just to remind them whose boss.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I'm not convinced that the PRC really cares that much about the soft power of gacha games. I mean it's not nothing, but to me the simplest explanation is that the government really does just dislike people dedicating "too much" time and money to video games. And there's a lot of middle ground between doing nothing and arbitrarily "breaking up" game companies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like to give an example of how ineffectual this is going to end up, you know how in genshin and star rail you buy currency that you turn into another currency that you use for pulls, while in like fgo you just buy pulls

thats the result of a chinese law that was like IT IS ILLEGAL TO SPEND MONEY FOR ROLLS that everyone declared would be the death of gacha games

lol

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

I think the character prices could still be denominated in primogems. So a rate up character could be 16000 primogems or something and come with half a token to pull a standard character + 5 tokens for rate up 4 stars. I don't think it would necessarily change how the game is played but it would reduce a lot of the gambling aspects of it (which is a good thing).

That's true, but since there is randomness in the current system how could there be a fixed price, even if it is in in-game currency? You could be a 0 pity and get a 5* with a single pull, after all. It's unlikely but possible so setting a price to it would have to be done by averages? I don't know.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i'll wait for the chinese fanbase to tell me how it goes I guess

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Depending on how it's worded, you could possibly keep the gacha but just sell the character directly for whatever is the equivalent of two hard pities. People then could buy the character, but would still have reason to roll instead. Generally speaking any time they're required to offer something directly there's no requirement that it has to actually be economical to buy it directly.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I'm not saying it'll certainly make an impact, just that it's not unthinkable. Of course it depends on how strongly this actually gets pushed, but times change and so do policies. If things like Ant Financial can get axed I don't see why gacha developers would be immune.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dunno what the game would even look like without it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

That's true, but since there is randomness in the current system how could there be a fixed price, even if it is in in-game currency? You could be a 0 pity and get a 5* with a single pull, after all. It's unlikely but possible so setting a price to it would have to be done by averages? I don't know.
It would be up to Mihoyo these numbers are all made up to start with. I think it takes on average ~103 rolls to hit a rate up 5 star with the current system.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

It would be up to Mihoyo these numbers are all made up to start with. I think it takes on average ~103 rolls to hit a rate up 5 star with the current system.

Yeah, if that happens I sure hope they won't screw the players I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the law doesnt state 'the only method shall be paying,' its that 'there will be a paid option.' it has nothing to do with rates or pity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like all this looks like is an option to pay 100 bucks for the rateup character or w/e

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Hardest pity: 180 pulls aka 28,800 primogerms
Best primogem per usd gem shop offer: 80.81

Solution: You can buy rateup characters in a limited time store for three hundred and fifty six US dollars. Billion dollar company saved, we did it reddit

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

like all this looks like is an option to pay 100 bucks for the rateup character or w/e
it'll be way higher than the currency cost. maybe slightly less that worst case

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

1000 bucks normally but yours for only $300 during super special premium bonus promo time!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wonder if they'd make more money or less if they let you buy constellations for characters you already had for 100 bucks. I want to say more, but pessimistically, I'd say probably less.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 24, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I wonder if they'd make more money or less if they let you buy constellations for characters you already had for 100 bucks. I want to say more, but pessimistically, I'd say probably less.

Less money. If there was a direct price it would be higher.

Right now if you paid cash money for every pull you could have to buy upwards of 200 pulls (well, 180 but you would bulk buy so 200) if you fail the 50/50 and RNG hates you a lot.

Playing regularly, doing dailies and also having the currency on login cash subscription thing going is pretty essential unless you want a very sore wallet to really get that one character from a resource poor starting point.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 24, 2023

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Would this mean some sort of 4* guarantee too?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Doing world exploration on a Navia team with Yae and it's extremely right here, right now, emerge, umbrella warfare I guess, umbrella warfare I guess.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

Doing world exploration on a Navia team with Yae and it's extremely right here, right now, emerge, umbrella warfare I guess, umbrella warfare I guess.

Navia's JP VA is much better

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

:wrong:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

:actually:

Yes
https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Aki-Toyosaki/

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Lol I’m trying to do the archon quest, after having had those spoilers at the start of the event and this is the third time it’s made me do the event quests because my archon quest npcs are “busy” with the event. Really annoying that they can’t figure out how to let an npc do a quest cutscene when you want to after three years. I didn’t even *start* part 3 of the event quest and it’s insisting that I do now.

Edit: I should say, I haven’t got to the prison yet so I might change my tune but I’m actually enjoying it more than Sumeru. I felt like Sumeru had really strong points but with what felt like more filler, busywork and poo poo I didn’t care about than any other nation but the flow of the Fontaine archon quest feels a lot more focused and enjoyable. So it’s even more annoying to keep being interrupted by this event.

rio fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 24, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wish you could save up the different arcs of the story quest in the event to turn in like you can the other mini-game events.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I wish you could save up the different arcs of the story quest in the event to turn in like you can the other mini-game events.

...you can? Each completed leg of the event quest is worth an entire day's commissions, its why I've only finished the second quest of it so far.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Last I heard, the leakers couldn't agree on whether Chiori's supposed to be a 4-star or a 5-star. Is there any more recent information? Her less-elaborate character design says 4-star to me, but a 5-star would go a lot further toward giving Geo the kick in the pants it needs. Unless she's like a Bennett-tier powerhouse at C0, but I don't think they'll ever do that again.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So do they recycle any of this event content? Or do they really make up new mini games every time to be thrown away after two weeks or whatever?

Also surprising that the quests go away forever, but not like I'm going to run out of quests any time soon. Finally got back to the Archon quests in inazuma yesterday, and really enjoyed it. I haven't worked on it in weeks (poe and the battle pass took up my time), and it turns out the very next quest waiting for me was the first time you...."meet" Raiden.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Some minigames return, like the beetle battle later this patch (and ofc windtrace which has been rerun three times). Other times mechanics get reused - the paper theater got folded into the much less interesting 2D mode in the 3.X bottle domain event area.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

FractalSandwich posted:

Last I heard, the leakers couldn't agree on whether Chiori's supposed to be a 4-star or a 5-star. Is there any more recent information? Her less-elaborate character design says 4-star to me, but a 5-star would go a lot further toward giving Geo the kick in the pants it needs. Unless she's like a Bennett-tier powerhouse at C0, but I don't think they'll ever do that again.
Pure guesswork, as far as I know. Nothing reliable about her or Sigewinne's rarity or even when they will actually appear; we've got their elements because we can see their Visions, that's about as far as it goes. People also can't decide who the second half of 4.4's banners will feature, or when Clorinde is actually coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Nakar posted:

Pure guesswork, as far as I know. Nothing reliable about her or Sigewinne's rarity or even when they will actually appear; we've got their elements because we can see their Visions, that's about as far as it goes. People also can't decide who the second half of 4.4's banners will feature, or when Clorinde is actually coming out.
And then there's Emilie, the mysterious perfumer. The file where I keep track of upcoming characters and reruns I'm interested in is starting to look like the ramblings of a madman. (As if it didn't already.)