Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

My partner's parents got me a 4K player...but I think they must have just seen the link I sent them and assumed that anywhere was fine to buy the model I wanted from, not realizing I specifically wanted the region free model...

But it's not so bad! It's still an awesome piece of kit, super responsive, all the features I want otherwise with a great remote, and I'm breaking it in with The Warriors. I've never seen the theatrical cut, as minor as the changes are, and I have to say I've never seen it looking this good. Arrow Video, you may have delayed the shipment and possibly charged me twice, but you nailed this transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

My partner's parents got me a 4K player...but I think they must have just seen the link I sent them and assumed that anywhere was fine to buy the model I wanted from, not realizing I specifically wanted the region free model...

But it's not so bad! It's still an awesome piece of kit, super responsive, all the features I want otherwise with a great remote, and I'm breaking it in with The Warriors. I've never seen the theatrical cut, as minor as the changes are, and I have to say I've never seen it looking this good. Arrow Video, you may have delayed the shipment and possibly charged me twice, but you nailed this transfer.

It's so funny hearing so many people say they've never seen the theatrical version, as I've never seen the newer version.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I mean, the vastly inferior director's cut was the only one available for a donkey's age.

Similar story with The Exorcist. Down here, you can only get the "VERSION YOU WEREN'T MEANT TO SEE" cut on any format. Yeah we weren't meant to see it for a reason, because it doesn't hold up to the superior original theatrical cut, you utter plums.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The differences are negligible, but now that I've seen it I think the theatrical is just slightly better because as cool as the comics look they do slow things down just enough to make it more difficult to understand the sense of progression and location that brings the movie together. I wouldn't go so far to call it "vastly superior" because it's barely a change at all but now that I'm familiar with both it's noticeable.

Fantastic purchase all in all. Highly recommend it. It looks beautiful.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I am amused that the booklet for the Arrow 4K of The Warriors consistently misspells Van Cortlandt Park.

e: I also only ever saw the theatrical cut and am glad that was the case. I might watch the alternative one to see the cool graphics. AFAIK Walter Hill said that while he does not disapprove of the alternative cut, he would not call it his "true intention" for the film, just one that was reflected in early notes.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 24, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is it possible to buy a movie for someone on Amazon Prime without logging into their account, adding your card as a payment method, buying the movie with your own card, removing your card as a payment method, and then logging out? Like, can you just gift someone a movie?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gripweed posted:

Is it possible to buy a movie for someone on Amazon Prime without logging into their account, adding your card as a payment method, buying the movie with your own card, removing your card as a payment method, and then logging out? Like, can you just gift someone a movie?

I'm not sure what issue you're trying to workaround but no, you'll need your own Amazon account. If you don't have this person's address or they don't want to give it up they could create a wishlist of items including the movie and then you can buy the item from their wishlist, but you'd still have to use your own account to make the purchase.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Sirotan posted:

I'm not sure what issue you're trying to workaround but no, you'll need your own Amazon account. If you don't have this person's address or they don't want to give it up they could create a wishlist of items including the movie and then you can buy the item from their wishlist, but you'd still have to use your own account to make the purchase.

At some point, Amazon removed the option to add digital music or movies to a wishlist. Digital music or movies that was added to your wishlist before that got grandfathered in, but you can't add anything new.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
My Criterion order, from December 2, finally arrived today. The Complete Jacques Tati was crushed, and so am I. Since it's Amazon, there is no replacement, only refund, so maybe next Christmas. Merry Christmas.

At least Munchausen is fine.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

pwn posted:

My Criterion order, from December 2, finally arrived today. The Complete Jacques Tati was crushed, and so am I. Since it's Amazon, there is no replacement, only refund, so maybe next Christmas. Merry Christmas.

I don't have that on physical, so I'll enjoy your Munchausen by proxy.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Merry Christmas everyone! Does anyone know how good Vinegar Syndrome is for replacement cases? I got Gorgo for Christmas and it's all in fine condition except the black plastic case is cracked, smashed up, so it must of happened before it even went into the slipcovers.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

just watched 'better watch out' and ohhhhhhh, man, are we going to need a special edition/vs/partner physical copy and a sequel. it is properly discomforting.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 25, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Merry Christmas everyone! Does anyone know how good Vinegar Syndrome is for replacement cases? I got Gorgo for Christmas and it's all in fine condition except the black plastic case is cracked, smashed up, so it must of happened before it even went into the slipcovers.

I've gotten replacement cases from them pretty easily for free. Blurays not 4k cases though

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

pwn posted:

I just got them to exchange a crushed Fury Road 4k for me about a week ago?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/klstudioclassic/status/1739315062370664586?s=46

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Kino Lorber Monk BDs are absolutely gorgeous in motion and sound great too. I should have expected it from KL but man, it's great. Definitely need to get the Columbo set too, as well as future seasons of Monk as they come out.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I need KL to hit me with a box set of Fantasy Island with fresh 4K scans. That was my Work From Home happy place for months until Tubi removed it. :argh:

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

This is huge. One of Friedkin's must underrated.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

For Christmas I got:
Mando Seasons 1 & 2 steelbooks
A Ghost Story For Christmas: Volume 2
Cushing Curiosities

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I got a bunch of upgrades for various movies I love (Ferris Bueller & 10 Cloverfield Lane 4Ks, Hot Rod, Castle In The Sky, & Disney's Hercules BDs) and the aforementioned Monk seasons, and I bought my partner the Godzilla Criterion set with custom boxes to store the discs and colluded with others to also get them the AVGN BFG set, Discotek's Fatal Fury OVA steelbook, and the 4K UHD Starship Troopers steelbook set too. It was a nice feeling because they didn't even know those last two things existed or that the BFG set was still in print. I also got my brother the Record of Lodoss War BD set and he was super happy. This hobby has made surprising people with gifts very fun. :3:

I also got The Vincent Price Collection, a Shout Factory set with House Of Usher, Masque Of The Red Death, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, and a few others, and that was how I learned that my dad's cousin dated Vincent Price in the 40s, a family fun fact that has somehow never come up before but I will now be repeating until the day I die.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 25, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Sirotan posted:

I just got them to exchange a crushed Fury Road 4k for me about a week ago?

That's very cool for you. No so lucky for me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

pwn posted:

That's very cool for you. No so lucky for me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You were implying Amazon wasn't willing to do exchanges. Doesn't seem to be the case or did you mean only with Criterion?

Rebuy and then tell them the latest one is the one that came damaged imho

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I got the greatest gift of all: love an Ultra HD Blu-ray player, my first!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Badass!

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Edward Mass posted:

I got the greatest gift of all: love an Ultra HD Blu-ray player, my first!

Oh, hell yeah. What's gonna be your first disc?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pigma_Micron posted:

Oh, hell yeah. What's gonna be your first disc?

An anime film of some sort, I’d bet.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Got a bluray of Darkman, and the arrow video release of Robocop for xmas

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 26, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1739694161756877232?s=46

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Christmas was a day late, but just as dank. :rock:

...now I gotta buy Fatal Games apparently

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

man how are we getting fear and desire before eyes wide shut

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Brexit the Frog posted:

man how are we getting fear and desire before eyes wide shut

Anti scientology discrimination and I won't stand for it

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are the battles without honor movies worth checking out? I keep seeing them come up, but with a number of movies and titles I'm having trouble finding if it's available in the states (or if it's worth the effort).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Reform School Girls was a bad blind buy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Reform School Girls was a bad blind buy.

Wrong!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’d seen it called a spoof of women in prison movies, but the only real spoof elements were in the costuming. Beyond that it’s just a normal women in prison movie, with all the unpleasantness that entails.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

2024 will be the year that Vinegar Syndrome finally announces 4ks for Ax 'Em and King Frat. Guaranteed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I’d seen it called a spoof of women in prison movies, but the only real spoof elements were in the costuming. Beyond that it’s just a normal women in prison movie, with all the unpleasantness that entails.

Wendy O Williams stands on a burning bus fist pumping and yelling against authority.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm always down to watch Wendy O. Williams be a complete maniac and Reform School Girls rules.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

So it sounds like I should watch Daisies and Reform School Girls then :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just don’t like it when the kitten gets stomped to death.