Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So ya'll are saying that NJPW is washed and dying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Tsuji will save us

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shard posted:

So ya'll are saying that NJPW is washed and dying?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I don't want to speak for anyone else but this is the least interested I've been in NJPW since I don't know when, can't even be bothered to watch most of the Tag League

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

What’s the deal with House of Torture? Why is someone joining so bad?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The puro equivalent of the nWo b-team. Right down to overbooking a lot of their stuff.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I don't want to speak for anyone else but this is the least interested I've been in NJPW since I don't know when, can't even be bothered to watch most of the Tag League

I see the NJPW World payment notification every month and it's like "oh yeah I need to cancel that" because I've never gone back and watched some of the matches MOTYC-ed. There's just no time and AEW is better :shrug:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

I think I prefer "Fear the Revolver" from the same show especially since I'm pretty sure that one got taken away by security, but that one is making me laugh a lot right now and I don't see myself stopping anytime soo...

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress off of the Just loving gently caress Off With This loving Godawful Bullshit of the Year: Ren Narita joins House of Torture - NJPW World Tag League 12/7

...excuse me, what?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

They're a bunch of really good wrestlers and Yujiro Takahashi absolutely wasting their time in the most bafflingly low-effort and unimaginative "cheating heel stable" I've seen in years, with their opponents (and the referees) made to look like utterly incompetent boobs because they keep falling for it over and over again. Like, they'll just saunter to the ring as an entire stable, climb in and just start openly assaulting the other wrestlers with weapons in front of the referee, or make the most minor and token effort to "distract" by having somebody walk up to the ref and physically just turn him around while the others loudly assault the wrestlers a foot behind them.

They never do anything different, it's exactly the same spots every single time, and the only "twist" is that they'll sometimes have a babyface rally and fight off the entire squad by themselves and then one of them will just shuffle over and openly punch them in the dick and get the pinfall anyway. EVIL and SHO both used to be really reliable wrestlers who seemed to be building up as real stars and it's kinda remarkable how lame they are now, SHO especially who has actually been eclipsed by the once kind of personality-less YOH. Kanemaru even only a few months ago was part of a fun stable and was used really effectively and now literally all he does is walk in and swing his whiskey bottle or spray people in the face, when that used to be the emphasis point to what he did as opposed to the be-all and end-all. It's bizarre.

On paper it's a lot of what traditional heel stables do, but the execution is painfully bad, boring at best and infuriating at worst, and the excuse of "Oh they're deliberately being bad for heat!" only works if you feel any sense of catharis or happiness when they get stymied, instead of just being relieved they're finally off-screen. It might work for the home crowds, it's hard to tell because sometimes they get loudly booed but other times their antics are greeted with pure silence. It's one of the most bizarre factions I've ever seen in wrestling, at least with Pheromones which I also really couldn't stand they were apparently very popular with the home crowd.

Anyway, that's a lot of words because Ren Narita really rules and it sucks that he's probably going to spin his wheels for awhile now and lose a ton of momentum when he should be picking it up. New Japan still rules and has had a hell of a year, but House of Torture really sucks!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Tag League is THE "this tour exists so you can feel OK taking a month off to recharge your fan batteries before WK when exciting things happen" and has been at least my entire time since getting NJPW World for the first time. The Super J Cast podcast, dedicated solely to cover New Japan, always hand the show off for the duration and let some other sickos cover it.

I don't go that far, there's usually fun stuff to catch, but through the first 7 nights I've watched 6 matches. Picking and choosing is deffo the way to go to avoid HoT and Fale and the mediocre AEW team.

New Japan in 2023 is weird. I'm not particularly enthused by it and then I look at my spreadsheet and I've given them 13 more MOTYC nominations than All Japan, a company I think have had a real good year and keep telling goons to watch. Part of what I'm so into AJPW about is they have a lot of exciting young guys, but then so do New Japan. The NJPW main event scene is lukewarm at best, Okada had been tredding water, Shingo hasn't been spotlighted much and Ospreay hasn't been around as much this year. But other than those things it's really kind of hard to pinpoint why I'm cool on New Japan despite it actually still being a very good year in-ring.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

They're a bunch of really good wrestlers

You're very kind to EVIL.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Punch McLightning posted:

He used to be a very solid wrestler with a fun gimmick who was part of a strong tag team with SANADA where he was the bruiser of the group, and it worked well and his kind of goofy aesthetic somehow worked well within LIJ and you (well, I) could see the potential he had to evolve. Instead, he's devolved so much since he split off and made House of Torture, it's kinda depressing.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

He used to be a very solid wrestler with a fun gimmick who was part of a strong tag team with SANADA where he was the bruiser of the group, and it worked well and his kind of goofy aesthetic somehow worked well within LIJ and you (well, I) could see the potential he had to evolve. Instead, he's devolved so much since he split off and made House of Torture, it's kinda depressing.

Yeah but he hasn't been good since before the pandemic. I know some of that is style, but at htis point I think he's just who he is.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Crowd of the Year: Jay vs Jay, Bell Center Montréal, AEW Dynamite 12/6/2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah before the turn/Pandemic EVIL matches ended up just being very much the same and it felt like he stalled out. I thought the heel turn would do him some good but nope it's the same problem

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Punch McLightning posted:

Very kind, very EVIL.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

They're a bunch of really good wrestlers and Yujiro Takahashi absolutely wasting their time in the most bafflingly low-effort and unimaginative "cheating heel stable" I've seen in years, with their opponents (and the referees) made to look like utterly incompetent boobs because they keep falling for it over and over again. Like, they'll just saunter to the ring as an entire stable, climb in and just start openly assaulting the other wrestlers with weapons in front of the referee, or make the most minor and token effort to "distract" by having somebody walk up to the ref and physically just turn him around while the others loudly assault the wrestlers a foot behind them.

They never do anything different, it's exactly the same spots every single time, and the only "twist" is that they'll sometimes have a babyface rally and fight off the entire squad by themselves and then one of them will just shuffle over and openly punch them in the dick and get the pinfall anyway. EVIL and SHO both used to be really reliable wrestlers who seemed to be building up as real stars and it's kinda remarkable how lame they are now, SHO especially who has actually been eclipsed by the once kind of personality-less YOH. Kanemaru even only a few months ago was part of a fun stable and was used really effectively and now literally all he does is walk in and swing his whiskey bottle or spray people in the face, when that used to be the emphasis point to what he did as opposed to the be-all and end-all. It's bizarre.

On paper it's a lot of what traditional heel stables do, but the execution is painfully bad, boring at best and infuriating at worst, and the excuse of "Oh they're deliberately being bad for heat!" only works if you feel any sense of catharis or happiness when they get stymied, instead of just being relieved they're finally off-screen. It might work for the home crowds, it's hard to tell because sometimes they get loudly booed but other times their antics are greeted with pure silence. It's one of the most bizarre factions I've ever seen in wrestling, at least with Pheromones which I also really couldn't stand they were apparently very popular with the home crowd.

Anyway, that's a lot of words because Ren Narita really rules and it sucks that he's probably going to spin his wheels for awhile now and lose a ton of momentum when he should be picking it up. New Japan still rules and has had a hell of a year, but House of Torture really sucks!

drat, that sucks. Thanks for the write up, all I really knew about them was that they are EVIL’s BC sub group, right? Last I heard about EVIL he was like triple champ or something.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

It's very much the NWO B team vibes combined with the Jeff Jarrett in 2000s era TNA blatant cheating that makes no one look good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Promo of the year: Bryan Danielson will Be There, post-AEW Rampage (12/8/23)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Worst segment of 2023: Golden Jets/Big Bill and Ricky Starks - AEW Dynamite 12/13/2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shard posted:

Worst segment of 2023: Golden Jets/Big Bill and Ricky Starks - AEW Dynamite 12/13/2023

2nd. That was astonishingly bad.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Shard posted:

mute the stream bad

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Shard posted:

It was garbage that made some of the bad face mjf segments look good

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Shard posted:

I had to turn the volume down and leave the room it was really embarrassing

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I had to turn the volume down and leave the room it was really embarrassing

as my daughter would say - cringe.

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Shard posted:

I have a high pain tolerance and even I felt how bad that was.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Most Power Alex posted:

I have a high pain tolerance and even I felt how bad that was.

you could tell even the wrestlers felt it. The mentioned it like three times between Kenny, Omega and Starks.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Shard posted:

lmao yes this made me pine for more Roddy bullshit

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Shard posted:

Worst segment of 2023: Winnipeg Jets/Big Bill and Ricky Starks - AEW Dynamite 12/13/2023

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Shard posted:

Awful, the worst.

For anybody who's curious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAe6N4mbHWU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Shard posted:

nth

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Numero6 posted:

Awful, the worst.

For anybody who's curious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAe6N4mbHWU

four of the top five comments are variations of "Ricky saved this/was the only good part"

the sixth?

quote:

@ITSHIM1294
7 hours ago (edited)
It takes a lot of courage to upload this segment. Kudos to the social media manager

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

POTYC: Dalton Castle breaks down.

https://x.com/ringofhonor/status/1738018731727438243?s=20

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

This one is enhanced by the entrance later that show

https://twitter.com/MissKatefabe/status/1738201313937158163

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lexi is jacked wow

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Shard posted:

Lexi is jacked wow

She's a MIT Valedictorian. It'd look bad on MIT if she wasn't!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
POTYC: "You boo a mother?! How daaaaaaare you?" (Shayna Wayne joins The Patriarchy - Collision, December 23rd)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGbFuWIQmgM

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shard posted:

Lexi is jacked wow

she's getting ready for an in-ring career, which will start when she gets fed up with being disrespected in an interview for the last time and busts out the Diamond Cutter (Shoulders Back Chest Out)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Barry Bluejeans posted:

POTYC: "You boo a mother?! How daaaaaaare you?" (Shayna Wayne joins The Patriarchy - Collision, December 23rd)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGbFuWIQmgM

Nth. Not only was every part of this promo, including Christian's lines and Nick Wayne's lovely grin, hilarious, it was also the perfect length. Another wild segment in a hot angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Alaois posted:

she's getting ready for an in-ring career, which will start when she gets fed up with being disrespected in an interview for the last time and busts out the Diamond Cutter (Shoulders Back Chest Out)

Pull that spine long!!!!