Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Halser posted:

I'm kinda boring so I'm a bad talker but a really good listener.

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

Also agreed on the thread. I'm neither shocked nor surprised that cspam is full of autists but I am amazed this thread hasn't been flooded with low effort trolls
goons are beady eyed little loving freaks, they fear the strong.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
It's not a special interest but its something I hyperfixated on until i had a comfortable level of knowledge to tell myself I understand what it's about, it may not be of great interest to the thread but I've been dying to tell about it since i figured it out, I've tried telling some friends in regular conversation but they wont let me monologue for 15-30 minutes so I never get it all out. I'm just gonna type it out from memory rather than look stuff up so I'm probably doing some errors but in general it's correct. I got all this starting with an interview with Robert English(PerfectHairHealth on youtube) and spun of from there and read some studies and watched some more videos and this is broad strokes what I've concluded.

I mentioned it earlier itt, Baldness, or rather Androgenic Alopecia. There are some different kinds of Alopecia but the one generally referred to Male Pattern Baldness should imo be referred to as Androgenic Alopecia because there are evidence of it affecting women as much as men, women however do not get the baldspots but rather a general thinning of the hair as their scalps contain a greater number of androgenic zones which in total produce less testosterone as opposed to the male scalp which has fewer zones that produce an overall greater amount, this results in a more pronounced baldness in specific zones rather than simply thinning or slowly receding hairline.

This isn't about the other types of Alopecia which causes people to lose all or large chunks of their hair suddenly.

The foundational culprit is stress and anxiety so root cause varies(for me I've concluded it's the undiagnosed audhd caused masking). It results in chronic flexing of scalp and facial muscles which pulls down the scalp and causes a reduced blood flow, the reduced blood flow prevents a type of testosterone from reacting with the oxygen and converting to another which promotes hair growth, the unconverted testosterone builds up in the scalp which then causes inflammation, this causes the body to try to repair the scalp but because there isn't actually anything to repair it just lays out another layer of skin on top of the healthy skin, this becomes fibrosis, or scar tissue, which over time plugs the hair sacs and prevents hair from growing. Overtime the individual hairs gets thinner and thinner until at one point the last one falls out and before another can properly come out of the sac the body's repair system has plugged it. This is why baldies have the chrome dome, the shiny bulb, the scar tissue and the flexing causes the skin to be hard and inflexible so it absorbs less light(for reference compare the reflectiveness of Joe Rogan's bald scalp to Terry Crews shaved but not bald scalp)

Once the train of causes is understood treatment is pretty simple however it takes time to reverse as a hairs lifespan can be somewhere up to 8 years(which is also why it usually takes quite a while to lose all the hair, every individual hair is miniaturized once every 3-8 years until it stop coming out).

First off is of course to address the root cause, if you can, address why the flexing but even if that is impossible(can't do anything about hellscape capitalism etc) one can still prevent the chronic part of the flexing. I'd go into detail what I do but it's better to just look up videos, but basically one needs to relax the jaw muscles, forehead muscles and back of the head simply by doing exaggerated expressions(open/close mouth to fullest extent, look extremely surprised and extremely angry). Do this daily, preferably 10 minutes both morning and evening(it's become a habit of mine to just do it while watching a video or reading a text I can focus on).

Once that is taken care of and the blood flow is improved it's time to address the scar tissue and it's done by causing inflammation. This time though the body actually has something to repair and with the now proper levels of correct testosterone it will actually reduce the scar tissue over time. Cause the inflammation however is more suitable i guess but don't go overboard as to actually cause wounds because that'll just cause more scar tissue. I've seen people have results with rubbing chilies on their scalp but you only really need to push and pull on the scalp to cause tiny tears(Robert English has a method to follow but it's behind a free-to-register thing so I just made up my own after hearing his summary in an interview). Microneedling works but is an acquired taste.

There's a whole bunch of topical treatments that has limited results but causes no harm, but really they're all just ways to unnecessarily spend money. I always stayed away from using Minoxidil/Rogaine because of the possibility of side effects(like kidney damage) felt not worth it, also the whole thing about having to use it for the rest of your life or you'll start to lose the hair again felt wholly not worth it but that was before understanding the cause and effect of the balding. Supposedly Minoxidil treatment paired with Microneedling has a better chance of both regaining hair growth as well as keeping it after stopping minoxidil. Minoxidil isn't fully understood but some popular assumption seems to be that minoxidil helps the skin absorb more oxygen so even with limited blood flow the buildup of the wrong testosterone is reduced, which explains why it's not lasting on its own.

also the thing about inheriting baldness from your mothers side is partly true, we get the pattern of androgenic zones from our mothers side, the baldness isn't itself inherited, twin studies have one twin being bald while the other has a glorious mane and their pattern is the same while lifestyle factors differ.

That's about it in way to many words, relax your face, restore the blood flow and cause controlled inflammation. Bonus to it all is the scalp will be a lot less dry and itchy as the scar tissue recedes.

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 10:30 on Dec 23, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

does that have anything to do with thin hair? when the pandemic started, i stopped getting my hair cut and just let it grow out into a long man-mane that's now just slightly past the lats. i was able to hide away during the awkward period where it's like hippy-rear end which is always the absolute worst. it works out because a) i absolutely hate going to the barber and always have, b) saves money = more video game money, c) i like it and get to be very versatile with styling. but i don't like how thin my hair is and i hope that's not a sign of future baldness. it's not noticeble because my hair is very dark and bulky/floofy but individually they're really thin

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah it could be related. the process happens through miniaturization, the individual hairs get progressively thinner before they disappear as fibrosis encroach on the hair sacs.

Robert English claims he can with pretty good accuracy judge if this process is the cause for individuals and if it's reversible by squeezing the scalp together and observing how many and how deep each fold/crevice is. If it's few folds that are fairly shallow it's a good chance you're in the process and it's reversible. The scalp is supposed to be pretty soft and flexible.

I think Terry Crews is somewhat on the extreme end of flexibility but just a video for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eRJkfuTjqY

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Xaris posted:

does that have anything to do with thin hair? when the pandemic started, i stopped getting my hair cut and just let it grow out into a long man-mane that's now just slightly past the lats. i was able to hide away during the awkward period where it's like hippy-rear end which is always the absolute worst. it works out because a) i absolutely hate going to the barber and always have, b) saves money = more video game money, c) i like it and get to be very versatile with styling. but i don't like how thin my hair is and i hope that's not a sign of future baldness. it's not noticeble because my hair is very dark and bulky/floofy but individually they're really thin

i got concerned about potentially thinning hair so i took the nuclear option on that front but there are upsides/downsides

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
You didn't mention the role of DHT in hair loss

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

fanfic insert posted:

I mentioned it earlier itt, Baldness, or rather Androgenic Alopecia.

I was browsing the autism thread but I have a lot of thinning hair experience at this point in my life! My understanding is the terminology for "baldness" is actually pretty poor on a technical level, but as I understand it when it comes to male baldness; there are 2 distinct types. I'm calling them "thinning" and "pattern." Sometimes you see a guy whose hair falls out in a sharp pattern, usually starting when they are relatively young, and the baldness is aggressive ("pattern"). The other type is a "thinning" over time. If you have the former type of balding there is absolutely nothing you can do to fight it (Joe Rogan had a hair implant and look at him now). However, it seems like you're talking about "thinning" which you can put up a fight against.

All the causes for "thinning" hair you mentioned are valid but I believe the biggest cause is that DHT literally blocks a receptor on the pre-disposed hair follicles. The receptor's 'intended' function may be unknown, but it's interrupted and causes the follicle to take damage and shrink over many cycles. The obvious, easiest, solution here is to try to block DHT via topical means since you absolutely do NOT want to take finasteride to block it on a body-wide level.

So basically massage your scalp in the shower with DHT blocking shampoos; lather, rinse AND repeat! This regimen should definitely be started with a ketoconazole shampoo (ketoconazole is an FDA-approved anti-dandruff, scalp-itch, medication)
https://www.amazon.com/Nizoral-Anti...C98&sr=8-5&th=1

Then use a DHT-blocking shampoo:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FH692PQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also use a regular shampoo somewhere in the process. Use a DHT-blocking conditioner as a leave-in, so you dont wash the conditioner out, just dry your hair with a towel:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YWSG7ST/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You're basically pulling as much DHT-buildup out of your scalp and follicles as you can. Then you put down some kind of topical to block the DHT after you're out of the shower. That's why I recommend the leave-in conditioner, but at night I've been applying the "Super Zix II" formula for over 10 years now, I think it really works.
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/maintained-using-zix-lllts-2-years.128790/

However the guy who ran the super-zix site recently DIED so you gotta source materials like b6 and zinc and put them into a formula:
https://web.archive.org/web/20111110120417/http://www.qdbd.com/hair_formulas_12.htm
Anyway I think the Super Zix really works, but if you dont wanna go through all that the DHT-blocking shampoo regimen is a very easy way to fight thinning.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i thought for sure that microneedling stuff was bullshit but found nothing but piles and piles of peer reviewed studies in multiple fields saying it was somehow all real. did not expect that

reminds me of those videos of guys bonking their faces with little hammers to chisel them into more chadly proportions. bone smashing, they called it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
formulas ftw

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
The DHT is the testosterone which is supposed to convert to another testosterone as it reacts to oxygen. It builds up which causes the inflammation and by extension the balding. Joe Rogan and all the other dudes doing hair transplants has it not working because they're not addressing the root cause, so even with the transplant they still have poor oxygen supply which causes them to lack the hormone which promotes hair growth, as well as high DHT buildup, causing their hair transplants to not stick. Joe Rogan has always been fit etc and no doubt on the higher end of natural testosterone, DHT included.

If you're using DHT blockers you're essentially just halting the loss of hair but you're not going to regain anything cause you're both leaving the fibrosis and making yourself short on the actual testosterone you want for hair growth.

Unless you're talking Alopecia totalis(or universalis but then we're talking no hair anywhere) but in general that includes eyebrows and eyelashes at the least, theres a fair bit of that in my extended family and it's entirely different but I don't think that's what Joe Rogan has.

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Dec 23, 2023

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I started balding when I was 16, so I had plenty of time to just accept my fate and shave it all off. It's not really my ideal look(imo) but people say I look great so whatever, not spending brain power figuring out how to fight my scalp.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
:shrug: statistically bald men have more sex(they didnt ask me)

but i had the same general path, started balding early teens, shaved it all late 20's and kept it like it for years. Was told i had a nice skull shape(it's a swedish thing dont worry about it) but havnt liked how i look since, look to much like my dad

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I have a full luxurious head of hair that, judging by the men in my family, will last until the day I die, probably from another bout of cancer - again, judging by the men in my family.

But during the lock down phase of the pandemic I skipped getting my hair cut for over a year and it never so much as brushed my shoulders. It just keeps getting bushy and curly and piling up on top of itself. I will never have hair down my back and that makes me a little sad.

I did have to take scissors to keep my hair off my ears though, because I can't stand the feel of hair on or over my ears. It has to be tucked back or it drives me nuts, I can't stop being aware of it.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Nix Panicus posted:

I did have to take scissors to keep my hair off my ears though, because I can't stand the feel of hair on or over my ears. It has to be tucked back or it drives me nuts, I can't stop being aware of it.

I have short hair and I constantly feel like it's out-of-place, so much so that I started wearing a beanie during the day so I dont touch it. Like a nervous habit I picked up somehow. Makes me feel insane.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Pontificating rear end posted:

I have short hair and I constantly feel like it's out-of-place, so much so that I started wearing a beanie during the day so I dont touch it. Like a nervous habit I picked up somehow. Makes me feel insane.

hats are dope
just don't wear the same hat all the time bc it makes you look like a sitcom character

also wdym by out of place

Nix Panicus posted:

I have a full luxurious head of hair that, judging by the men in my family, will last until the day I die, probably from another bout of cancer - again, judging by the men in my family.

But during the lock down phase of the pandemic I skipped getting my hair cut for over a year and it never so much as brushed my shoulders. It just keeps getting bushy and curly and piling up on top of itself. I will never have hair down my back and that makes me a little sad.

take biotin, your hair will grow like 4x as fast and be healthier and stronger, also fingernails

if you want tips for scissor cuts i can tell u how to make sure it doesn't look like a hackjob & is even and stuff like that

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

yep

formula 1
formula D
formula 2
formula 3
formula Ford
formula vee
formula 4
formula SAE
formula Renault
formula BMW
formula Student
formula 2000
formula super Japan
formula hillclimb

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

FirstnameLastname posted:

hats are dope
just don't wear the same hat all the time bc it makes you look like a sitcom character

also wdym by out of place
I actually just wear it at home because the hair looks good enough, and I try to stay conscious of any compulsions or tics when I'm out. It's feels like certain bits of hair are sticking out, or too long, when it's perfectly fine. I think I 'm just compulsively touching it. There's no sense to it

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

take biotin, your hair will grow like 4x as fast and be healthier and stronger, also fingernails

if you want tips for scissor cuts i can tell u how to make sure it doesn't look like a hackjob & is even and stuff like that

It grows very long, it just gets curlier the longer it gets so it asymptotically approached my shoulders while becoming an increasingly unruly bush. I suppose I could straighten it if I really wanted, but that moves into the realm of too much effort to maintain. Also the hack job I do with scissors is rarely visible because it just gets tucked behind my ear anyways

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

(i struggle with open ended questions. i guess it's a thing with hyperlexia? if someone asks me "well what do you want" its like the muddy difficult thing to come up with an answer, i can but it's work like it feels mentally exhausting trying to, like doing a bunch of math, same feeling of mental exhaustion. i don't know why but even if i know in advance, once someone asks, it just drops out of my head??

how are you with buying people presents?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Xaris posted:

gently caress buying people presents I hate it so much

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yea i didnt get anyone anything this year, but i feel very guilty about it

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

yea i didnt get anyone anything this year, but i feel very guilty about it

I did ask my parents what my young nephew wants and just got that, but beyond that its total paralysis

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i'm waiting for my traditional c-spam goon presents, tyvm. this year i want a new car

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
what I do is get people to talk as much as possible, that eventually leads them to mention a thing they want to buy but can't

then I buy that thing. If I don't talk to someone I have no idea what to buy so I just don't

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Xaris posted:

hate it

im also bad at receiving them

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Pontificating rear end posted:

greetings fellow compulsive hair toucher

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Megamissen posted:

hate it

im also bad at receiving them

lol oh yeah that part sucks too

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

this is a good podcast if ur autism level 7 or above

https://lostterminal.com/

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Xaris posted:

until i had a diagnosis this last year nothing about myself made any sense to me since i was 7 or 8, around then i started to learn if i paid attention to what other people paid attention to, and what they liked and didn't, id still be able to be fun around people instead of just confusing and annoying
so if i am doing or planning something focused on specific people i tend to be really good at it but it's exhausting especially to do repeatedly in a short span of time, but im pretty sure that's just bc im a perfectionist & agonize over that kind of stuff

i didn't get anyone anything this year tho bc no income ftw

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Whirling posted:

(in Autistic Columbo voice) well, I gotta get going sir, my wife will give me hell if I don't get home for supper... but there's just one thing that isn't sitting right with me: in the Song of Pelinal, Pelinal Whitestrake mentions the Emperor Reman. Doesn't that strike you as peculiar, that a First Era man is talking about a Second Era emperor that has yet to be born?

I need more Autistic Columbo in my life.

Noam Chomsky has issued a correction as of 08:44 on Dec 24, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Whirling posted:

oh, and just one more thing before i get outta your hair: bionicles all live on a giant bionicle. ain't that something?

this one has been popping in my head since i read it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
but where does that bionicle live

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In the toy box

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
i bought a nerf gun for my mother and a small rc car that can flip to my grandpa. im great at buying presents

i gotta wrap it in newspaper though cause ive been procrastinating buying wrapping paper.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol oh yeah that part sucks too

at least at Christmas everyone opens at the same time

but when its only you and all the focus is on you...

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
[directs a focused beam of attention and specific expected reaction at you, causing you to be vaporized]

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ohtori Akio posted:

[directs a focused beam of attention and specific expected reaction at you, causing you to be vaporized]

lol god drat i just got a flashback to a specific memory of almost 30 years ago

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the beam works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Ohtori Akio posted:

I'm not paying attention I'm too busy being mentally ill