Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DeeplyConcerned posted:

How can I help you?

"My internet stopped working."

Great! Anything else I can help you with?

Well, if you consider the Internet a mistake, it's not wrong...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Im generally not a fan of distracting technology in a car, but direction software that operates both visually and audibly is a better option than what we used to do in trying to navigate holding a physical map or written directions.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
That's why you need a copilot to read out the directions like a rally stage.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Which is why most phone navigation apps already do that. I personally like the robot voice on Google maps.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
HyperLoop shuts down after failing to reinvent transit. Meanwhile SolarRoadways grifts along undeterred after failing to reinvent roads.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Was there ever a justification for why Hyperloop would be better than a regular high speed rail? I seems like a lot of extra cost for speeds you couldn't actually achieve. They could have spent $500M just building high speed rail and at least they'd get something at the end.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

StumblyWumbly posted:

Was there ever a justification for why Hyperloop would be better than a regular high speed rail? I seems like a lot of extra cost for speeds you couldn't actually achieve. They could have spent $500M just building high speed rail and at least they'd get something at the end.

Nope. Elon Musk talked about it which his techbro sycophants and the popsci media massively boosted and then some credulous investors threw heaps of cash at it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How would high speed rail have made Elon Musk more wealthy...?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yes but that means fewer cars which is lesss money for Elon and, even more importantly to him, high speed rail wasn't his idea and it isn't something he could steal the credit for like he did with Tesla.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

StumblyWumbly posted:

It'll be better because something something *mumbles incoherently* Elon Musk.

It was always a grift to draw attention away from more meaningful public transportation options like adding more commuter light rail.

https://www.disconnect.blog/p/the-hyperloop-was-always-a-scam

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

StumblyWumbly posted:

Countless transportation boondoggles have been built on the back of "who wants to put a bunch of money into building old, low-tech infrastructure when we could be building for the future with high-tech cutting-edge infrastructure instead?".

That said, the lack of any actual serious attempts to build a Hyperloop system shows that they couldn't even manage that. Rather than an actual serious proposal, it was more like one of Musk's periodic PR stunts to maintain the "genius engineer inventor" persona he'd so carefully cultivated for the investors.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/lapsus-hacker-behind-gta-6-leak-gets-indefinite-hospital-sentence/

I'm not familiar with mental health systems outside the US. Is an indefinite sentence in a mental hospital as abhorrent as my knee jerk reaction is thinking it is?

On one hand at least he's not just pipelining through the prison system, I guess. Though if he is just up and admitting he wants to go out and do more cybercrimes and had the absolute capability to do so, what else can you do with him?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 22, 2023

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/lapsus-hacker-behind-gta-6-leak-gets-indefinite-hospital-sentence/

I'm not familiar with mental health systems outside the US. Is an indefinite sentence in a mental hospital as abhorrent as my knee jerk reaction is thinking it is?

On one hand at least he's not just pipelining through the prison system, I guess. Though if he is just up and admitting he wants to go out and do more cybercrimes and had the absolute capability to do so, what else can you do with him?

Someone who is not guilty by reason of insanity - ie they can't help but commit crimes - is not someone who can be part of society until they are better. The alternative is you put him in jail where he won't get help. He might get out of jail but he'll land himself right back in.

If the mental health system is bad that's, well, bad but there isn't really a better one. Nobody's ever accused prisons of having good mental health treatment.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

Did you ever consider that if CA had high speed rail, which was allegedly about to be funded until his HyperLoop company came along, it would have meant less Teslas on the road? You didn't, did you. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Elon Musk watched the Marge vs. the Monorail episode of The Simpsons and decided to get in on that grift.

Unfortunately he never ends up back in his own North Haverbrook so we're still stuck with him.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Despite being the dumb idea daddy, I don't think Musk actually made any money off Hyperloop? He might actually be happier if folks never tried it, so it could be a potentially great idea, instead of a proven failure.

WebDO posted:

Did you ever consider that if CA had high speed rail, which was allegedly about to be funded until his HyperLoop company came along, it would have meant less Teslas on the road? You didn't, did you. You should be ashamed of yourself.

"allegedly about to be funded" is a real whisp of a cornerstone for this theory.

To be clear, I think this idea was doomed from the start and purely a product of Musk's ego and simple thinking. I'm surprised such an obviously dumb idea got $500M from Dubai's money managers.
Connecting this to a plot to kill public transit or sell more Teslas all seems very 8th dimensional checkers to me. There's easier ways to do that with half a billion dollars.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Indefinite involuntary confinement is the norm pretty much everywhere, I think. It's theoretically not a punishment and lasts until the doctors think you can be out in society safely.

That might be faster than the corresponding criminal sentence ("This person had undiagnosed schizophrenia, and is responding to meds well") or not. A fixed term doesn't really make sense: "we don't think it's safe for you to be out, but time's up, so off you go"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah depending on his mental illness he could be in hospital for six months, or the rest of his life, it all depends on what his actual diagnosis is that caused him to commit cybercrimes. Some things you just can't fix.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Elon Musk watched the Marge vs. the Monorail episode of The Simpsons and decided to get in on that grift.

Unfortunately he never ends up back in his own North Haverbrook so we're still stuck with him.

The Mr Plow episode except it's a Tesla killing people at the trade show.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Hyperloop wasn't even Musk's idea. He just gave the company ET3 support and brought attention initially before doing his own spin-off.

There have been a few tiny companies trying to revolutionize transit which are essentially 1 dude obsessed with their oddball idea. ET3 was just one of them. They usually never get past the initial big talk phase. I worked with one who was trying to sell essentially a city scale version of a theme parks skyride crossed with a rollercoaster.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Luv 2 invent trains

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qNOtgrIjO4

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

StumblyWumbly posted:

The enduring allure of gadgetbahn owes to how it hits the MAYA (Most Advanced, Yet Acceptable) sweet spot. It's a good old train, but better, because :techno:

This makes it a good grift and a fine red herring. See e.g. how conservatives in Berlin want to build a Maglev instead of tramlines and subways..

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

loving gadgetbahn. If I had a dollar for every time a decent light rail project was derailed by a gadgetbahn I could at least afford lunch at McDonald's.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I enjoyed this article a lot.

https://www.theringer.com/tech/2023/12/22/24011753/year-of-ai-artificial-intelligence-chatgpt-openai-sam-altman

quote:

By November 2022, social media was making me ill. My light bulbs were spying on me. My Crock-Pot wouldn’t cook soup until I gave it my Wi-Fi password, and then it would cook it wrong, and when I Googled “how to make my Crock-Pot stop loving up the soup,” I’d get zilch about Crock-Pots but 900 fake-review websites stuffed with affiliate marketing links for a hummingbird feeder I briefly thought about buying two years earlier. Truth no longer existed, yet I somehow needed 37 apps to watch Friends. Outside, I was sure I would be killed by a self-driving car; the unscathed occupant of that car would then turn the video of my death into a far-right meme, which Elon Musk (ugh) would repost on X (ugh) under the caption “on fleek,” a phrase which he had just heard for the very first time and would soon be discussing at length in a live audio chat with Brett Favre and former CIA director Mike Pompeo.

Sums a lot of my fears and the pros and cons of the whole rapidly accelerating AI movement.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

I enjoyed this article a lot.

https://www.theringer.com/tech/2023/12/22/24011753/year-of-ai-artificial-intelligence-chatgpt-openai-sam-altman

Sums a lot of my fears and the pros and cons of the whole rapidly accelerating AI movement.

The stuff about the crock pot hits home for me because I was recently looking for one for a potluck and found this at the local hardware store for $60 (it's a little higher price when looking at the Walmart listing)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton...e006a458a37975d

It's only got 5 buttons. On/Off switch, Delay Time, "Menu", Up/Down arrows. You press the On button, you press the Menu button, you keep pressing Menu until you highlight one of the 9 options, then you hit the up/down arrows to adjust the cooking time. You can hit Delay Time to make it start later. It has dedicated modes for Soup/Steam/Sautee/Rice Maker, it doesn't have an app, there is no wifi card, and it doesn't have any pressure cooker modes. If you toss it onto Slow Cooker (HI) mode then you can tell it to cook for 6 hours, and it'll switch to Keep Warm for remaining time up to 24 hours (IE: 6 on HI + 18 on Keep Warm) It is exactly at the line of "cribbing features from instapots" I wanted without being Smart.

Earlier this year, we had a few customers at my workplace who owned their own (nice and new!) modem/router/firewall, and they had their security systems hacked because they had set the systems up with the default login information + port forwarding for remote access during the winter. Somebody with a port scanner program was able to get in, and they started messing around with the cameras and security panel (arming/disarming, moving cameras, pulling up footage, etc.) I'd heard stories about smart light bulbs being hacked in order to crank the brightness intensity up to the point that they pop or catch fire, I've seen the stories on Google Nests malfunctioning and cranking the heat to 130° through the whole house, but that was the first time I'd ever seen it happen in-person. We also had several different devices that outright failed because they couldn't (or wouldn't) connect to the internet anymore, and several others with a Lifetime Warranty that had a chip inside brick because its security certificate was only valid for 15 years and it is not being recertified.

So I stared at a few different options before making my purchase, and thought to myself "Do I really want to put a Pressure Cooker in my house that asks for a WiFi connection" and the answer was no, I'll save up and buy one I can put on my stove for next christmas

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

bawk posted:

crock pot

I just bought mine at a local thrift store. No issues thus far except I can't watch TV or stream audio thru it.

I just cook food in it.

You know, like a caveman.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Wonder where that line is, where gadget is bad.

I like alcohol, but I'd need internet/books to learn to safely make cider beer liquor w/e. That or learning from people you know.

Digging holes is timeless, but doing it by hand? I want a shovel!

Seems so dumb it's not worth saying, I know. A contemporary question though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

Agriculture was a mistake.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Language was a mistake

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

BRJurgis posted:

I like alcohol, but I'd need internet/books to learn to safely make cider beer liquor w/e. That or learning from people you know.

The line is where the real world internet becomes more dangerous than Battle Network's internet.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

BRJurgis posted:

The line is anything invented after I turned 21.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
You guys sound old.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

BRJurgis posted:

It all started going downhill with the spread of Java.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

Language was a mistake

Mitochondria were a mistake.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Tnega posted:

You can't be isolationist. Open cell walls, let the other cells in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tnega posted:

So, a couple billion years ago, our ancestor ingested a bacterium that became the powerhouse of the cell.

Have you ever wondered what happened on the other branch of that bacterium’s family tree?

Its siblings went on to become the Rickettsia prowazekii agent of epidemic typhus.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Bel Shazar posted:

You can't be isolationist. Open cell walls, let the other cells in.

And in tech startup news, you may be able to make sure the chlamydia is safe and healthy, with a tampon-based STI testing kit. That assumes they work, and are not another Theranos.

This holiday season, remember: if you're cold, they're cold. Let them inside.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

BRJurgis posted:

the Black Hole Internet.

it's similar to but is NOT the Dead Internet Theory (which conspiratorially assumes that there's an organized, intentional algorithmic manipulation behind the scenes). It's this increasingly evident breakdown, a crushing entropy coming about from how the present day internet became corrupted and corroded with malicious, fake, botted rot that's about to get kicked into overdrive through "AI" "content" generation — and every system that used to function in the internet can be hurt by its toxicity, from search engines to social networking to commerce to looking up a pie recipe and realizing halfway through reading it that it has incoherent ingredient portioning and was probably written by chatgpt, yet was result 1 in your google search

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BRJurgis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gv_Uil_62k

Anarcho-Primitivism is, in fact, a dead-end ideology but Anprims are very funny, like people who took one look at Luddites and took every wrong lesson from it.