Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ossiarch Bonereapers - Gothizzar Harvester - Sprue
Necrons - Necron Royal Court - Sprue
(later this month) Necrons - Illuminator Szeras - sprue
Votann - Grimnyr - sealed
Votann - Einhyr Champion - sprue

Yeah i've sold stuff on FB before it's just Maine is the middle of nowhere so it's hard to find people, I'll try mini swap

I don't think so?

Anyways not tryin to make a lot of profit or whatever, these are just dupes I literally don't need any more of.

I've sold to Noble Knight Games before. You won't get the prices you would by selling individually, but if you've exhaust the more potentially lucrative options they'll take anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ossiarch Bonereapers - Gothizzar Harvester - Sprue
Necrons - Necron Royal Court - Sprue
(later this month) Necrons - Illuminator Szeras - sprue
Votann - Grimnyr - sealed
Votann - Einhyr Champion - sprue

Yeah i've sold stuff on FB before it's just Maine is the middle of nowhere so it's hard to find people, I'll try mini swap

I don't think so?

Anyways not tryin to make a lot of profit or whatever, these are just dupes I literally don't need any more of.

If you are trying to unload extras from Imperium and you still have the Necrons Royal Court sprue, that is the one that goes for the most. Can go for 75 up to 100 or more depending on a few things.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you are trying to unload extras from Imperium and you still have the Necrons Royal Court sprue, that is the one that goes for the most. Can go for 75 up to 100 or more depending on a few things.

Only the necrons are from Imperium, and I think Szeras might be spoken for. I was gonna sell em at a decent decrease due to that yea

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
Sitting down to play my second game ever, genestealers into my girlfriend’s Eldar. Let’s see how much of the rules I actually learn.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Only the necrons are from Imperium, and I think Szeras might be spoken for. I was gonna sell em at a decent decrease due to that yea

Just as an FYI, if you liked Imperium and the way that was done, they have Stormbringer out for the US now.

https://usa.warhammerstormbringer.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAvoqsBhB9EiwA9XTWGdjZ2ykLiY08FN77LUX67Yb8lAsaNrqycaMiSH1AfzFR-_rf74xyDhoCCt0QAvD_BwE

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Just as an FYI, if you liked Imperium and the way that was done, they have Stormbringer out for the US now.

https://usa.warhammerstormbringer.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAvoqsBhB9EiwA9XTWGdjZ2ykLiY08FN77LUX67Yb8lAsaNrqycaMiSH1AfzFR-_rf74xyDhoCCt0QAvD_BwE

I thought about that but, I already bought and started painting the stormcast half of Dominion box, and i sold the orcs I was never going to touch, and this seems like stormcast vs orcs + plus some small extras, so I'll pass

My main AoS armies are probably going to be Bonereapers + Gloomspite. I would like to branch out more into Stormcast but I instead probably will expand to Skaven instead, so getting this sub is less interesting to me.

or i might consider trying to see if you can buy individual issues online and skip all the orcs cause I am not interested in any from that range.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's also pretty funny that the AdMech believe in a version of the Trinity.

The Father (the Machine God), the Son (the Omnissiah, aka The Emperor), and the Holy Ghost (the Motive Force)

I love the references like that in the books, it really feels like a bit of that old satirical flavour

Crazy Ferret posted:

I wondered what happened with the Void Dragon lore. It was a big deal for a while but I never understood the full implications one way or the other.

The HH novel Mechanicum implies that the Big E defested some sort of dragon (metaphorically) and bound it on Mars where it influenced later settlers and caused Mars to become the technological hub it is. This implies that the Necrons influenced the creation of the Mechanicus through a shard of the C'tan Void Dragon. There's also a couple Dark Mechanicum characters from a group called The Order of the Dragon. This plotline, like so many others in the early HH books, will probably never be followed up on.

Is C'tan a play on Satan? I always pronounced it like Kuh-Tan but if you say it like See-Tan it's Pretty close.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 20, 2023

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Dark Mechanicum seem like a Monster Mash faction at first blush, lots of hosed up Daemon engines herded into combat, lot like nids but possibly with better and more guns

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Guys no one has ever thought of this conversion ever I bet

It had to be done.

The hat is from Victoria, and the head is a bandana'd underhive scum because I wasn't gonna fit anything on that hybrid head

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
My friend has done full cowboy for his Ad Mech, all of them have little cowboy hats and the cloaks are painted like dusters, the Kataphrons have cow catchers on the front and steampipes on their heads or behind their backs. Obviously the dudes riding horses are already done basically. Not sure what he's planning on doing for the Kataphron robots or other vehicles, probably more train accouterments.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I would simply put giant cowboy hats on the kastelan robots, because I am an easily entertained child.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
The Kastelans are practically steampunk right out of the box. Just paint them brass and steel with some smokestacks and you're good to go.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I bought a bunch of slouch hats from Victoria while back, only to discover they were all too small and I had to do a lot of sanding and cutting to make them fit.
The results wasn't too half bad though.

Just haven't found another good reason to use the rest, especially with that in mind.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I won't be getting any for a while but I figure one might look fun on a Votann Hernkyn.

But yeah that's a lot of slicing with a modeling knife to narrow his heat enough and some greenstuff to blend it in, mostly on the far side of his head

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 20, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure the head is too big for the Victoria hats at least, you'd have to upscale it and then print your own ones to make it work.
Would definitely work well for the Oakleys and beard guy though.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

poop chute posted:

Sitting down to play my second game ever, genestealers into my girlfriend’s Eldar. Let’s see how much of the rules I actually learn.

So genestealers are a really hard army to learn with, especially into Eldar, and 2000 points is a lot to start with, that’s what I’ve learned. I’ve got a bunch of marines I can run for now, though, so at least I’m not completely up poo poo creek. Game still slaps and it rules no-selling an Incarn because you’re hitting every Feel No Pain roll.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Finally finished building my first 1000 points of Space Marines. Now I gotta wait for a warmish day to prime them all.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Cease to Hope posted:

Broadly, it's fine for friendly games.

Thanks for this comprehensive answer. I do have some followup questions.

Cease to Hope posted:

When getting more seriously competitive, it does change the game. A lack of obstructing terrain inside tree-ruins would favor ranged-heavy armies and armies with greater numbers of non-infantry units. Vehicles and monsters would be able to move straight through ruins, rather than around them. Likewise, large models would be able to stand in tree-ruins much more easily, making it easier for them to take cover and harder to flank.

I see in the core rules that infantry/beast units can move through ruins as if they were transparent. Is it implied that e.g. vehicles must go all the way around the footprint of the ruins, or can they still go through those parts that are not physically obscured. E.g. I see many tournament ruins are basically a plastic rectangle on the table with walls on two of its sides, arranged in an L-shape - could vehicles move through the non-walled parts? If so, it would be straightforward to make "walls" that are just dense hedgerows.

Cease to Hope posted:

Melee infantry that wishes to hide from shooting would need to stand behind ruins rather than inside them, necessitating less aggressive positioning. Similarly, there would be no place safe from short-ranged shooting from the front, since a position behind a ruin-forest can be threatened by a unit that moves into the forest (as opposed to a unit in a ruin behind a wall, which cannot). A long-ranged unit can stage safely behind a tree-ruin then step into it to attack, with cover from all directions but a very broad field of fire (going both ways!).

You can prevent this by making the trees actual blockers rather than decoration, but that can pose challenges. Tree limbs often make it difficult to tell where, exactly, you mean to block, and generally block more space to model placement than vision (which is the opposite of how you'd expect a forest to work).

I think these concerns boil down to "true line of sight" concerns, in that it is unlikely a row of trees will literally block true line of sight as well as a wall. Is that correct? I suppose a sufficiently dense shrubbery could do that, but that might look weird. I have woodland terrain with clearly delineated base plates that makes it easy to discern the footprint of the terrain feature, but it would indeed be tricky delineate the how much a tree line obscure - unless we just count outer-trunk to outer-trunk. I'll have to try it and see how it feels to play with.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Athas posted:

Thanks for this comprehensive answer. I do have some followup questions.

I see in the core rules that infantry/beast units can move through ruins as if they were transparent. Is it implied that e.g. vehicles must go all the way around the footprint of the ruins, or can they still go through those parts that are not physically obscured. E.g. I see many tournament ruins are basically a plastic rectangle on the table with walls on two of its sides, arranged in an L-shape - could vehicles move through the non-walled parts? If so, it would be straightforward to make "walls" that are just dense hedgerows.

I think these concerns boil down to "true line of sight" concerns, in that it is unlikely a row of trees will literally block true line of sight as well as a wall. Is that correct? I suppose a sufficiently dense shrubbery could do that, but that might look weird. I have woodland terrain with clearly delineated base plates that makes it easy to discern the footprint of the terrain feature, but it would indeed be tricky delineate the how much a tree line obscure - unless we just count outer-trunk to outer-trunk. I'll have to try it and see how it feels to play with.

Vehicles don't need to go around ruin bases on GW terrain, just around the actual physical walls. In WTC terrain, two sides of the rectangle are wall, so they generally do. Also, it's Very Bad to end your movement partially on a ruin base in 10th (except with titanic units), so the more walls there are, the harder it is to park a tank in a ruin. But yes, vehicles can always move through the parts that don't have an actual obstructing piece of wall.

If you wanted to do tree-ruins and hedgerows, that's essentially the same as regular old ruins. The big problem with just trees is not only the fact that they don't play nicely with TLOS, but also that they have many small easily-fiddled parts and are relatively topheavy. Even if you have a big fat bottom-heavy cypress or willow as a physical blocker, you do also need to make it clear that people aren't to pick up the trees and move them out of the way, since that's a pretty common convention in other editions of 40K and other wargames.

I want to emphasize: "we don't play with walls on our ruins" is a departure from most communities' competitive play but it's not that weird. It's might involve a learning curve for your gaming club when they go to tournaments elsewhere, but if you ran a big GT where every map was wall-less tree-ruins, nobody would get too bent out of shape as long as you made it very clear you were doing that in the player pack.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 21, 2023

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Was thinking about this again this morning. Would changing up the style of ruins help any? Maybe doing something like a grain elevator, a silo, a lumbermill, shed or warehouse? It'd mean building something new but it'd fit the aesthetic more.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They call then ruins but they could just be any sort of building, right?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
they should make a terrain system that is essentially legos

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Pretty much. Ruins just fit because:

A. Fits the war aesthetic
B. Gives a good reason why half of it is sheared off so you can fit your models
C. Allows for more creative license because it can be lovely on purpose

But nothing says it has to be what you see on the box. As long as the form allows the function, it can be anything.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I mean, if it's not ruins it's just a big obstruction, which is valid but a different bit of terrain.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
To change it up, I've been toying around with a hypothetical 2000pt Ork list. I'm basing it around the Beast Snagga Stampede boxset and I'm trying to stick to the squig, feral, snakebites theme. I used newrecruit for the points totals, so apologies if anything's off.

Characters:

- Beastboss on Squigosaur
- Nob on Smasha Squig x2
- Pain Boy x2

Battleline:
- 10 Beast Snagga Boyz x2

Infantry:
- 10 Burna Boyz

Mounted:
- 3 Squighog Boyz x2

Monster:
- Squiggoth

Vehicle:
- Kill Rig x2
- Gorkanaut

General strategy is to embed the pain boyz with the beast snaggas and the nobz with the squidhogs. The beastboss will ride solo.

The beast snaggas will ride in the kill rigs which will provide support when they deploy. The squidhogs and beast boss ride up the flanks as a wing or a centre wedge. The squiggoth is loaded up with burna boyz to as an infantry killer and the gorkanaut supports its advance. How does a gorkanaut fit? Hoping to do some conversion work to make it fit but otherwise, I just like it.

The only question is what to spend the remaining points on? Gretchin and some boys to act as a living speed bump or hold the backfield objectives? A squad of 10 nobz to act as some back up muscle? Something else? Or Testikles you beautiful idiot, your list makes no sense!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

They call then ruins but they could just be any sort of building, right?

GW keeps going back and forth on how specific the different types of terrain are and it's always been a bit odd IMHO. I prefer a more universal system like the terrain tags in 9th, but 10th is fairly versatile even if it is a little more specific than I prefer.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Testikles posted:

To change it up, I've been toying around with a hypothetical 2000pt Ork list. I'm basing it around the Beast Snagga Stampede boxset and I'm trying to stick to the squig, feral, snakebites theme. I used newrecruit for the points totals, so apologies if anything's off.

Characters:

- Beastboss on Squigosaur
- Nob on Smasha Squig x2
- Pain Boy x2

Battleline:
- 10 Beast Snagga Boyz x2

Infantry:
- 10 Burna Boyz

Mounted:
- 3 Squighog Boyz x2

Monster:
- Squiggoth

Vehicle:
- Kill Rig x2
- Gorkanaut

General strategy is to embed the pain boyz with the beast snaggas and the nobz with the squidhogs. The beastboss will ride solo.

The beast snaggas will ride in the kill rigs which will provide support when they deploy. The squidhogs and beast boss ride up the flanks as a wing or a centre wedge. The squiggoth is loaded up with burna boyz to as an infantry killer and the gorkanaut supports its advance. How does a gorkanaut fit? Hoping to do some conversion work to make it fit but otherwise, I just like it.

The only question is what to spend the remaining points on? Gretchin and some boys to act as a living speed bump or hold the backfield objectives? A squad of 10 nobz to act as some back up muscle? Something else? Or Testikles you beautiful idiot, your list makes no sense!

I'm no Ork guy but from the gut with so few units you probably want to pad out your list with as many Gretchin as you can because someone's gotta do the objective holding and secondary actions. Once your Boyz start dying off you're gonna run out of Stuff Doers and Objective Standers.

Plus if you play against like, Marines, there will be so many gaps for 3" deep striking Inceptors to kill off half your army.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Testikles posted:

Was thinking about this again this morning. Would changing up the style of ruins help any? Maybe doing something like a grain elevator, a silo, a lumbermill, shed or warehouse? It'd mean building something new but it'd fit the aesthetic more.

Yes, but ruins with standing walls have the nice combination of preventing line of sight (both rules-wise and physically) without blocking off too much movement. Big buildings are nice and all, but can constrain movement too much. I'm trying to come up with some ideas, or at least some ruins that are not just ruined cityscapes, but I am not very creative.

I think tournament layouts look ugly and boring for playing with friends, but on the other hand I think I have played enough games where my melee dudes get shot off the board before they have a chance to get close.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Eej posted:

I'm no Ork guy but from the gut with so few units you probably want to pad out your list with as many Gretchin as you can because someone's gotta do the objective holding and secondary actions. Once your Boyz start dying off you're gonna run out of Stuff Doers and Objective Standers.

Plus if you play against like, Marines, there will be so many gaps for 3" deep striking Inceptors to kill off half your army.

Gretchin definitely feels like the way to go. Have two or three units of them and let them do their thing by existing.

Athas posted:

Yes, but ruins with standing walls have the nice combination of preventing line of sight (both rules-wise and physically) without blocking off too much movement. Big buildings are nice and all, but can constrain movement too much. I'm trying to come up with some ideas, or at least some ruins that are not just ruined cityscapes, but I am not very creative.

I think tournament layouts look ugly and boring for playing with friends, but on the other hand I think I have played enough games where my melee dudes get shot off the board before they have a chance to get close.

Something I've thought about doing is making terrain based around parts of a ruined spaceship. I'm sure it's been done before but it gives you some building like pieces by having large segments of ship sitting on the board.

For example you could have a section that's a corridor that plunged upright into the dirt to make a tower, or a piece of superstructure that landed in a couple of big chunks. I think it'd give you something that isn't sprawl and would believably be in your forest environment.

Some other bits laying around that help form narrative around objectives: capturing sensitive equipment, preventing the ship's logs falling into enemy hands.

Testikles fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 21, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

rantmo posted:

I mean, if it's not ruins it's just a big obstruction, which is valid but a different bit of terrain.

ruins in 10e are a footprint that generally has obstructing terrain on it

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cease to Hope posted:

ruins in 10e are a footprint that generally has obstructing terrain on it

Right, and an intact building would just be a big slab of LOS blocking. I was specifically responding to the question of why ruins and not intact buildings, they're both valid terrain that serve different purposes.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apologies if I asked this before but I am looking for just one more Battle Sister. I need a single Battle Sister to complete my modified Novitiates Kill Team. I would only need the legs / torso / backpack as I'd be using Novitiate weapon arms on her and have plenty of spare heads. I see I can get one on eBay but if I could get one from somebody locally or just know the money went to a goon I'd prefer that.

Region is California Bay Area.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Finally sorta finished putting together the first Rogal Dorn tank.

This thing has way too many unnecessary nick-knacks on it.

Now my greasy paw-prints are all over it putting them on.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I kept mine pretty minimalist, didn't even put the track covers on. I think my biggest critique of the current GW sculpting style is the fear of empty space. The eye needs somewhere to rest.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
For most of the praetorian you don’t need to attach the greeblies

It’s pretty clean when it’s bare.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm putting my first Land Raider together and it seems like I need to paint the entire interior before I finish building the outside. Is that correct? My painting backlog is so large and I just want a built land raider.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

OgreNoah posted:

I'm putting my first Land Raider together and it seems like I need to paint the entire interior before I finish building the outside. Is that correct? My painting backlog is so large and I just want a built land raider.

If you don't plan on looking at the interior, just glue the ramp shut and forget about it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There are people who paint the interior of vehicles and then glue them shut anyway because they have brain worms. Do what works for you.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Eej posted:

There are people who paint the interior of vehicles and then glue them shut anyway because they have brain worms. Do what works for you.

How dare you insult the Society of Hidden Paint!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I love it