Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

distortion park posted:

Will have to check the commentary out, thanks. It looks really weird, every scene is like mid tier tv drama level quality sets and effects, but they just have so many of them and they are all so big

You’ll learn which of the sets is barely painted wooden boards assembled on 30 mins notice! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
To recycle what I said in the Criterion thread, the one problem with Josie and the Pussycats is that it came out before musicals started to be seen as viable again, so while there are songs and they're really good, they're kinda pushed to the background. A version of it as a proper musical a la Stardust Brothers or Phantom of the Paradise would have been amazing.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

To recycle what I said in the Criterion thread, the one problem with Josie and the Pussycats is that it came out before musicals started to be seen as viable again, so while there are songs and they're really good, they're kinda pushed to the background. A version of it as a proper musical a la Stardust Brothers or Phantom of the Paradise would have been amazing.

To say nothing of the fact that the majority of the original music is by 90s alternative superstar Kay Henley of Letters to Cleo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

To say nothing of the fact that the majority of the original music is by 90s alternative superstar Kay Henley of Letters to Cleo

As well as the late Adam Schlesinger, of Fountains of Wayne and Crazy Ex Girlfriend.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I was wondering about that. I didn’t think the actors were the main singers of course, but the songs had greater production value than I expected.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The Zone Of Interest couldn't keep my interest apparently as I struggled to stay awake through this thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dracula (1931) - watching this to get context on everything that has come since and as part of reviewing the book. The thing that jumps out at me more than anything else is what the nature of police is. London cop c. 1931 discovering a drained body in the street: *frantically blows whistle to summon random passersby to come running up and gawk*

Was the "Evening guvnor, looks like the fog may be lifting a bit" cop how it actually was (yes I've listened to the Behind the Bastards series on the history of police)

Anyway one interesting thing in the formative vampire imagery is that this movie pointedly never shows anything. The medical examiners say "common to all victims is two small marks on the neck", which they don't show on screen. This inevitably leads to the weird idea in subsequent vampire media that the two marks are from the upper fangs which somehow suck the blood like straws or something. But per the book, the idea was that the two marks were from the upper and lower canines, opposite each other, on one side of the mouth, which were used to get access to the jugular via a pinch. This movie's pre-Code squeamishness about showing any gory details has led to a century of bizarre telephone-game oddball interpretations which I'm sure are covered amply elsewhere but I'm glad I'm at least seeing it for myself finally.

Also lmao at Van Helsing getting reimagined later as an action hero played by Hugh Jackman

e: if David Lynch didn't have this in mind when he did that one shot of BOB I don't even know

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 23, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Honestly vampires biting into the neck makes no sense unless they have tooth straws. Otherwise they’re just making a suction with their mouth and wasting like 99% of their meal as it shoots all over the place.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also losing it at the possums and armadillos they had lurking around doing ominous reaction shots because they weren’t allowed to show rats

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Honestly vampires biting into the neck makes no sense unless they have tooth straws. Otherwise they’re just making a suction with their mouth and wasting like 99% of their meal as it shoots all over the place.

Is there a movie where vampires are like ticks and balloon up with blood after feeding?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The Zone Of Interest couldn't keep my interest apparently as I struggled to stay awake through this thing.

absurd. i was enthralled the entire time.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Fun double bill last night:

The Holdovers - loved it. Well written, poignant. Great performances all round. Felt like a future classic really, possibly owing to the film grain etc. Kinda reminded me of stuff like the Station Agent and Baghdad Hotel.

Lethal Weapon - it was entertaining, but not as good as I remember. Relies a lot on the charisma and energy of Gibson and Glover to paper over a pretty thin/boring plot. Die Hard is a lot tighter and retains the Xmas action movie crown in my eyes.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 24, 2023

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

ShoogaSlim posted:

absurd. i was enthralled the entire time.

I need to watch this again when I'm not itus-inflicted at 11pm+

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

What We Do in the Shadows addresses this in hilarious fashion

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I need to watch this again when I'm not itus-inflicted at 11pm+

i had the benefit of seeing it in 35mm at a theater near me at like 12 in the afternoon

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrari Incredible, premiering this at Venice was a mistake. Only dorks and Italians care that everyone's Italian accent is pizza hut level. Bad way to build buzz, the actual film is incredible. Cruz and Driver are bringing a level of intensity to the drama that Mann hasn't had in a film since The Insider. There's some shoddy stunt work, but the part where the cars go fast sure does feel like that cars are going fast. And the two scenes the film was building to, in the race and between the Ferraris are incredible.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 25, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Now thinking they should have shot it like an Italian film where everyone is obviously dubbed

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Cruz and Driver are bringing a level of intensity to the drama

Gaius Marius posted:

everyone's Italian accent is pizza hut level

loving lol imagine having this level of cognitive dissonance?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Rebel Moon

I don't think Snyder had progressed as a director in 2 decades. Man knows what he likes I guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fast Charlie - I'm sure at some point there will come an end to this procession of clones of John Wick/Jack Reacher/Nobody/etc movies where they take some aging action star and pick a random city and have him Come Out Of Retirement To Do One Last Job

but it is not this day

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I somehow had missed the magical musical La La Land for 7 years and thankfully I rectified that. What a film! classic movie musical magic plus jazz improv plus a "(500) Days of Summer" plotline where the couple getting together is actually the midpoint of the story and not the end, really sells the "realism" such as it is, in a movie where people spontaneously break out into song. Gosling and Stone are insanely good performers both with the acting and with the dancing/singing in this. I can see now why it got the accolades it got - mostly because Hollywood loves a movie about Hollywood, but also because it's just so well put together and fun to watch. I've been singing "Someone in the Crowd" for a whole day afterwards, which is the sign of a solid musical number.

EDIT : forgot to mention, it was nice to see Tree (Jessica Rothe) from Happy Death Day (and Happy Death Day 2 U) in a small role in the aforementioned "Someone in the Crowd" - and while is came first, I hope she does more musicals

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 26, 2023

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

La La Lands owns. Now watch Bayblon :getin:

Rebel Moon - why did I watch this???

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

‘better watch out’ - best christmas movie. i get almost every horror film is trying to take a familiar setup and do something new with it, but this one actually pulls it off. fantastic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Babylon is such an incredible watch. Not sure if it hits on the small screen

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
After watching home alone 1-2 and 3 in the past 2 years it was time for home alone 4.
It’s a movie that basically does everything wrong, it’s amazing. Sometimes so wrong it’s terrible and sometimes so wrong it’s hilarious.
It’s like it was made by someone who didn’t understand the title, didn’t understand Christmas, didn’t understand the characters and didn’t understand the humor.
It’s starts wrong right from the start with recasting everyone with kids who seem significantly younger than the originals.
Still I had a few laughs most of them about how bad it was.

I poo poo you not, one scene involves Kevin locked in the basement by the bad guys with the butler and a cellphone. Neither of them having any idea who to call, until Kevin calls home twice in a row getting his brother both times. Then tries a third time getting his mom. At which point the battery dies. End scene. After they escape the butler decides to call the police. Why didn’t you do that while you were trapped you idiot! The two of you were literally using your cell! The basement scene had one great detail though, when they clear out some convenient boxes that were hiding a dumb waiter the butler casually keeps handing two boxes stacked together to Kevin to put away. These boxes are like half his height. They must be filled with styrofoam for him to carry them so casually.

And what the heck was wrong with dad’s new girl friend? For some reason the happy ending here involved everyone deciding to leave her behind while she was having a panic attack like she was the bad guy all along. :psyduck: dad leaves her, her (literally royal) guests leave her to have Xmas with the Mccallisters, the butler leaves (though he at least has a (flimsy) reason), the mccallisters leave her.

Amazingly this movie is stacked with “wait a minute, I know that guy from somewhere” actors and actresses

Please tell me this was the worst home alone movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Nope, sixth one is. A rich kid steals a valuable doll from the home of a middle class family where one of the parents was just laid off and they can no longer afford their house, much less Christmas for their children. They are clearly the villains for trying to take their property back in a desperation move and are punished accordingly.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 27, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

Babylon is such an incredible watch. Not sure if it hits on the small screen

I loved it at home. Mad at myself for not seeing it in theaters. Maybe some kind of rerelease or chazelle fest some day…

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So trying to watch Past Lives, are there supposed to be subtitles on the Korean sections? I'm about 30 minutes in and at first I thought it meant for the Korean to not ulbe ynderstood, but there's been enough of it that now I'm unsure. I tried turning on subtitles but that only subtitled the English.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Paranoia Agent this is not a movie, but it’s Satoshi Kons anime of his unused ideas formed into a really weird and interesting horror series. Some of the individual episodes are just masterful horror short stories in a 20 minute format. I’m not sure the ending came together completely for me as it felt simplistic, but the themes of repressed guilt and regret worked well.

Poor Things I was surprised at how funny this was. I was at a sold out showing and everyone was laughing a lot. I have a lot of respect for Emma Stone for this as she really committed. It’s an interesting filming that it’s both about how plight of women and how people create the complications of our own world. I do think it was a bit long though and found some of the Paris section dragging. But I’m glad weird stuff like this being made.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

pretty sure there were subtitles for everything but english when i saw it in the theater but i can't remember exactly now

i dont think any of the dialogue is supposed to not be understood or hidden for any reason

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ShoogaSlim posted:

pretty sure there were subtitles for everything but english when i saw it in the theater but i can't remember exactly now

i dont think any of the dialogue is supposed to not be understood or hidden for any reason

Ugh ok thanks, that's a bummer that it's not working then.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Terminal - absolute dreck, we gave up after 30 minutes. Condescending towards the main character and makes no sense. Garbage performance by Hanks I can't believe Spielberg made this. e: also an airport terminal is just a fundamentally boring place

Marie Antoinette - i ate a really fancy chocolate coated nougat during this to feel more part of the story. One of the best looking films I've seen and one of the most effective uses of visuals and vibes to tell a story as well. The party scenes are absolutely spot on.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Watched Rebel Moon. I could see how this might work as a Star Wars movie. Feels more like an 80s (or 90s?) fantasy/sci-fi movie with a bit too much exposition.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes- for a parody film from the 70's, it actually wasn't that bad. Most of the jokes are absurd enough that they still work to this ray, some of the jokes are definitely out of place these days, some are still VERY on point (a former olympic athlete eating a bowl of not-wheeties called Steroids, when it seems like there's a new steroids scandal in sports every few years to this day), and some just aged like the finest milk left in the heat. It may be worth a watch if you enjoy parody films, but don't lose any sleep if you do miss out on it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Millenium Actress starting a petition to create a sixth star on letterboxed for this film only.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Randalor posted:

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes- for a parody film from the 70's, it actually wasn't that bad. Most of the jokes are absurd enough that they still work to this ray, some of the jokes are definitely out of place these days, some are still VERY on point (a former olympic athlete eating a bowl of not-wheeties called Steroids, when it seems like there's a new steroids scandal in sports every few years to this day), and some just aged like the finest milk left in the heat. It may be worth a watch if you enjoy parody films, but don't lose any sleep if you do miss out on it.

The sequel is worth checking out. There's a bit in there where a young George Clooney lies about knowing Rob Lowe in order to get women, which is funny in itself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good Will Hunting I don't hate Williams in this which is surprising given the absolute antipathy I hold towards him in Dead Poets, the ending scene where he finally gets through to Will is great. That is about it for the Pro's. The movie feels very sophomoric, Will talks like someone who posts on Reddit for a living, his self sabotage guilt complex thing is interesting but the relationship between him and Skylar being the reason he finally realizes he needs to change just doesn't hit at all. I don't buy them together, short or long term. His relationship with the Professor is similarly bizarre. Him and Affleck together are good, but the film keeps cramming these other people and scenes into the narrative that only distract from the story it is telling. The scene with Affleck "negotiating" for Damon is straight up terrible, I cannot imagine what they were thinking.

There's a solid 3.5 - 4 star film in and hour and a half of this film being dragged down by 40 minutes of banality and tedium. The entire time I'm watching it I'm thinking how much more interesting and well acted Talented Mr.Ripley or Bourne are in harnessing Damon's weird inhumaness.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

killers of the flower moon

i hated that this spent so much time on leo. feels like a huge copout.

allegedly the focus stays more true to the book it's based on which is from a white perspective but i don't think it makes for a good movie.

lily gladstone does a great job in her role but she's only given so much to work with outside of all the time she spends being the victim of the story. again, maybe that's true to the source material but it just sucks to watch. feels like there's very little depth to her character where there otherwise should be a LOT depth and a lot more time spent getting to know her vs looking at leo dumb frown the entire time.

also, from a technical standpoint, i hated the editing in this. for a 3.5 hour movie, it should have been way better. there are SO many distracting cuts. there's a scene where Henry is greeting Mollie and he bends down to kiss her hand in a.. idk medium single on Mollie? but as Henry starts to bend down it cuts to a wide to show everyone at the table and he's already not even touching her hand anymore, and the dialogue doesn't skip a beat, it's extremely jarring to see the video skip forward like that while the audio continues normally. this happens over and over as people are taking drinks of whiskey or lighting cigarettes, etc. it feels extremely sloppy and kept pulling me out of the movie. i know you're not supposed to show every motion of little movements but basically every other movie in existence pulls these kinds of edits off way more smoothly.

i'm glad there's a light being shed on this story and the osage people. i feel a bit embarrassed to have not known basically anything about that period of time in american history and how those people lived and what went down. but (to me) this movie isn't the masterpiece of cinema people are claiming it is just because it tells an important story. the focus of the characters is wrong and it's technically flawed in plenty of ways. disappointing overall.

edit: i'm reading that this actually deviates from the source material in that it doesn't focus on the fbi procedural and instead focuses more on the relationship between leo and lily. or at least i'm sure that was maybe the intention, but it fails. this really just feels like leo read the script and shoe-horned himself into more screen time with the excuse of wanting to have it be more focused on the osage tribe.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 28, 2023

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Millenium Actress starting a petition to create a sixth star on letterboxed for this film only.

the sixth star is just Satoshi Kon's face. Can't say I've seen a bad one of his, even Tokyo Godfathers which has some questionable trans representation in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Ferrari - My balls grew three sizes this day.