Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

The idea is that people should read the design documents ahead of time, instead of skimming it at a review meeting.

The problem is that no one reads the design document ahead of time.

This is one of those "this is why we can't have nice things" compromises.

I used to work at a company founded by an ex-Amazon person and until we got over like 500 or so people there was a culture of good writing and people actually reading and commenting on documents. It was great and I've never worked at a better place with smarter people.

It all went to poo poo when we started hiring in volume after going public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Motronic posted:

Ah, yeah, sorry about that. It tends to happen whenever I join an organization.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

has anyone ever repeatedly sent warnings about a high impending workload months in advance, that more resources and manpower are needed, and this is completely ignored by higher ups and they just charge forward into a hosed up megadisaster? asking for a friend
I love sending the “per my 6 months email”, makes me feel like a cynical Nostradamus

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Motronic posted:

I used to work at a company founded by an ex-Amazon person and until we got over like 500 or so people there was a culture of good writing and people actually reading and commenting on documents. It was great and I've never worked at a better place with smarter people.

Yep, the concept seems really good, if people can actually read and write.

As opposed to my former company, where *everything* had to be done through PowerPoint. And the boss i got stuck under at the end seriously thought her big "value add" was making very pretty decks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baddog posted:

As opposed to my former company, where *everything* had to be done through PowerPoint. And the boss i got stuck under at the end seriously thought her big "value add" was making very pretty decks.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at now. I have received engineering diagrams in slide deck format. I have no words.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at now. I have received engineering diagrams in slide deck format. I have no words.

It could be worse. Our Product Managers love, love, love LucidSpark. Imagine an hour of someone zooming and panning through a poorly organized whiteboard that would be ten feet across if it were a physical artifact. Lucid has tool to organize each section into something cohesive, but only about a third of the ones I see use them.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Motronic posted:

Corporate Megathread: It all went to poo poo when we started hiring in volume.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

The idea is that people should read the design documents ahead of time, instead of skimming it at a review meeting.

The problem is that no one reads the design document ahead of time.

This is one of those "this is why we can't have nice things" compromises.

Sure. My issue is that it seems like an extremely engineering focused way to design interfaces. And, in fact, it’s not like Amazon is famous for usability.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I think part of the problem with Powerpoint is that if you asked someone to make a presentation to literally explain why you shouldn't shoot them in the head right now, they'd somehow still never get to the point or explain their thoughts clearly.

Powerpoint didn't force the presenter to squeeze that entire flow-chart onto the slide at 8% zoom, or write an entire procedure in 10-pt font and then turn around and read the slide without any eye contact. They did that horrid poo poo of their own volition. Powerpoint just gives people enough easy rope to hang themselves with.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It bugs me that everyone gets PowerPoint but if you want Visio you have to beg for it

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We took a PowerPoint training class that amounted to “cut everything out. Know your talking points and have a pretty picture for the toddlers in the meeting room”.

E:grammar

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 23, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

have a pretty picture for the toddlers in the meeting room

Someone taught me this when I was early-mid career, and it was very helpful. Know the toddlers, ideally know how they like to receive information, and (very ideally) have an idea of what sort of message they like to receive. Some people just want a feel, others want all the data, etc etc. Target the right audience with the right presentation.

Oh yeah and figure it all out in 20 minutes, because I signed you up to present this next one. :haw:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Democratic Pirate posted:

We took a PowerPoint training class that amounted to “cut everything out. Speak to your know your talking points and have a pretty picture for the toddlers in the meeting room”.

This was the other half of my grad school capstone class and I cringe when I look at presentations I made before that. My work teammates love to put multiple paragraphs on their ppts and it drives me nuts.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Renegret posted:

e: The real bullshit is not getting paid out for sick time. So now, at the end of the year when everybody's burning Vacation and we're juggling Holiday alternates, we also have to deal with people just randomly calling out. Since we're a 24/7 department, we can't just leave the department unmanned. So while you have the right to call out in that case, you're going to gently caress over the on call and make an enemy in the process.
That's 100% on management and I'd never fault people for taking the drat time.
Taking a mental day because your boss is annoying is perfectly legit if the alternative is "the shareholders thank you for your service"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

If I'm actually doing it as a presentation then the words are mostly prompts for me, if it's just a handy way of sending a pack of stuff round then they need to contain actual useful info.

My god though some of the "metrics packs" I see produced, jesus Christ. Fully committing to quantity over quality almost all of them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

My god though some of the "metrics packs" I see produced, jesus Christ. Fully committing to quantity over quality almost all of them.

Every data point in my 35 page reporting packages is precious to me :colbert:

The most exhausting big boss I’ve reported to thus far wanted a streamlined deck but also loved when presenters flipped to supplementary slides in response to his questions. We ended up with 50 slide decks because anything that had data attached got thrown in the backup section.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
My old shop had a PowerPoint deck that we used to bring to external partners to show what we did in our weird little niche offices. The director of that shop insisted that we used this deck and we weren't allowed to change a word. No changing fonts, no changing backgrounds, nothing. Use the pre-approved deck, and only the pre-approved deck, because it's external PR communication.

The problem was she was a loving idiot, so the whole deck was full of typos. And each slide was formatted differently, including often two or three different formats in one slide. Like it was written by a boomer who didn't know how those things function.

I cleaned it up for her once and sent it to her for approval and got accused of sabotaging the department.

That lady and that department sucked poo poo. I used it once and refused to ever embarrass myself like that again.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

priznat posted:

It bugs me that everyone gets PowerPoint but if you want Visio you have to beg for it

gently caress me, this speaks to me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

priznat posted:

The baby version of Visio is free on MS 365 now, and it's mostly fine for making a simple chart or whatever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

~Coxy posted:

The baby version of Visio is free on MS 365 now, and it's mostly fine for making a simple chart or whatever.

loving finally!! Used to be you couldn’t even get that without your manager having to approve a $500 expense for a Visio sub.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The baby version sucks rear end. I tried to make some network diagrams with it and was wildly displeased with the end result. I refused to do anymore until I got the full version and, well, I haven't had to make network diagrams again at least

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One day I will master Visio and not gently caress up the line attachment points causing a huge mess when a square is moved but today is not that day!!!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

You've gotta work for a corp so large that the 365 subscription is basically anything and everything you could ever need.

priznat posted:

One day I will master Visio and not gently caress up the line attachment points causing a huge mess when a square is moved but today is not that day!!!

There is no way to fix that when dragging elements afaik, just like dragging a shape sometimes causes the diagrams to explode. Moving things with the keyboard tends to work though.

I'm the guy that will zoom all the way in to align additional connector points and move shapes by the micron so that all lines are straight. My diagrams are often peppered with alignment guides so that things will snap in properly.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The best PowerPoint I've ever seen was when I joined a divisional update meeting and the very senior person running it started off by saying "I hate doing presentations but wanted to use this as an example" and opened a single slide with nothing but a picture of a crocodile on it, made one reference to it, then kept it on screen for the entire 45 minutes left in the meeting.

Astonishing power move.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The best presentation I saw was when our director finished up our objectives for the year by playing Jerry Reed's Eastbound and Down and having the select lyrics fly in in time with the music:

- We're Gonna Do What They Say Can't Be Done
- We've got a long way to go
- And a short time to get there

It was pointless "motivational" bullshit but I admired the chutzpah of just playing a forty year old country song as a summary.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Fil5000 posted:

The best presentation I saw was when our director finished up our objectives for the year by playing Jerry Reed's Eastbound and Down and having the select lyrics fly in in time with the music:

- We're Gonna Do What They Say Can't Be Done
- We've got a long way to go
- And a short time to get there

It was pointless "motivational" bullshit but I admired the chutzpah of just playing a forty year old country song as a summary.

Smdh if you haven't used the Kenny Powers intro to starting in the Mexican leagues as a team building ice breaker.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Smh wasting money on proprietary software for diagrams when PlantUML exists.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

gently caress UML.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If I'm actually doing it as a presentation then the words are mostly prompts for me, if it's just a handy way of sending a pack of stuff round then they need to contain actual useful info.

I make two kinds of decks. The presentation ones that are my outline and notes in slide format, and the ones where you send it around and people can just zoom the gently caress in.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

UML Deez nuts

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
"You should have that in the backup slides."
"Put that in the backups."
"Attach the report in the backups."
"We should keep a video walkthrough of the facility in the backups in case someone doesn't understand the process."

*Sundae uploads a 900MB powerpoint deck to the meeting shared drive*

"What? Why is it so big?!?"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

1. You've gotta work for a corp so large that the 365 subscription is basically anything and everything you could ever need.

2. There is no way to fix that when dragging elements afaik, just like dragging a shape sometimes causes the diagrams to explode. Moving things with the keyboard tends to work though.

1. No 365 sub has Visio, you have to add Visio Plan 1 (web) or 2 (desktop) on an individual basis.
https://m365maps.com/

2. I might be misunderstanding you, but if you use Add Connection Point feature (Control+Shift+1 from memory) to add any custom connection points to the shapes, you can get pretty good auto-routing arrows and they'll obviously stick to the objects as you lay them out.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

~Coxy posted:

1. No 365 sub has Visio, you have to add Visio Plan 1 (web) or 2 (desktop) on an individual basis.

2. I might be misunderstanding you, but if you use Add Connection Point feature (Control+Shift+1 from memory) to add any custom connection points to the shapes, you can get pretty good auto-routing arrows and they'll obviously stick to the objects as you lay them out.

Yes, I usually add several custom connectors in the shape editor to make sure I can get all that I want to prettify it. That way you can do it by inputting the values for where the connectors are added, including using fractions of length, height etc. Makes getting it juuust right much easier.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Huh I figured it must have been included seeing as I got no "you must pay for this" when I got it installed at work.

For 2, it's if you drag shapes sometimes it will get so caught up trying to auto route it it will just blast everything all over the place and the whole thing flies apart..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If office copilot will let you create diagrams you describe I will be extremely excited by AI finally

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I can get into Visio using the 365 Web app despite not having approval for the actual program.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Between the basic shapes (including connectors) and Insert > Icons, you can get about 90% of the way there in PowerPoint. At least for presentation purposes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Draw.io or whatever it's called now does well enough for most things I need so far.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

knox_harrington posted:

I can get into Visio using the 365 Web app despite not having approval for the actual program.

It comes with 365 the actual application has a separate license which I think 365 also comes with but your IT has to be competent which lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Where I work it was easier to get a copy of draftsite and just do my diagrams in that than it was to get a copy of Visio because I could go through the engineering approval process instead of the office/manager approval process. As an added bonus no one can poorly edit my diagrams and steal credit/blame me for them.