Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

and EW Urianger is the best trust in the game as he throws out Gravity that does 20-24k aoe damage roughly every 20 seconds.

he ALSO buffs you with astro cards! he's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Onean posted:

He used Runescape solo-player rules, since that's what the challenge is based on: Parties are allowed when it's literally impossible without them, but you can only party with other solo players.

also nobody was allowed to heal or buff another player and death of the MT counted as a wipe

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Qwertycoatl posted:

also nobody was allowed to heal or buff another player and death of the MT counted as a wipe

Oh, right! I forgot about those.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I mostly do trust/duty supports as the tank because it was much easier to drag them wall-to-wall, but once I got all the Warrior mount achievements I started trying to use the other tank jobs and discovered that 1) I really use bloodwhetting as a crutch and 2) Alphinaud sucks compared to the other trust healers, especially pre-sage.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Speaking of soloing can you solo normal Susano or do you run into the same problem as soloing Susano Ex?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FuturePastNow posted:

I mostly do trust/duty supports as the tank because it was much easier to drag them wall-to-wall, but once I got all the Warrior mount achievements I started trying to use the other tank jobs and discovered that 1) I really use bloodwhetting as a crutch and 2) Alphinaud sucks compared to the other trust healers, especially pre-sage.

Oh lord yes, little brother is for fun, Urianger is if you're serious and want to double pull while surviving

Meanwhile as a healer, Thancred is an easier tank to duty with than G'raha.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 23, 2023

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
criterion is some of the best battle content they've ever made. add a ton of upgrade rewards to the normal version and cut some boring content to make more criterion

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh lord yes, little brother is for fun, Urianger is if you're serious and want to double pull while surviving

Meanwhile as a healer, Thancred is an easier tank to duty with than G'raha.

I'm on the last step of a ShB relic where I have to do 15 level 70 dungeons so on this subject I also want to call out the Doman Shaman who heals the duty support Ghimlyt Dark, as the healiest healer in the entire system. You can pull that dungeon, including the triple group after the first boss, with pretty sloppy mitigation and he will not let you die

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

1stGear posted:

I know "you pull you tank" is a bit outdated at this point, but that feels like a specific situation where its still applicable.

here's the stupid part

i took my hands off the keyboard in frustration after arguing about it and telling the guy to tank it himself

and they did the next pull without me and without anybody dying

i gave up and just quit out.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
what are these Cascadiar Uniform envelope things for

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

hexwren posted:

here's the stupid part

i took my hands off the keyboard in frustration after arguing about it and telling the guy to tank it himself

Well, they did what you asked, can't really blame them for that one lol

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

verbal enema posted:

what are these Cascadiar Uniform envelope things for

Take it to Aelina in Mor Dhona to get a bikini

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Farg posted:

criterion is some of the best battle content they've ever made. add a ton of upgrade rewards to the normal version and cut some boring content to make more criterion

I’ve been blind progging Aloalo criterion and it’s among the most fun I’ve had this entire expac. I think that 4-man content is where the battle system can really shine. All of my favorite mechanics so far would be basically impossible in 8-man raids, just due to how utterly chaotic they are in ways that are barely manageable with 4 people, let alone 8.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hexwren posted:

here's the stupid part

lol, at you specifically

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

hexwren posted:

here's the stupid part

you couldn't waterboard this out of me

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

main character tank syndrome should be studied
there's probably already some dissertations written on it

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

hexwren posted:

here's the stupid part

lol owned

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

hexwren posted:

here's the stupid part

Extremely funny

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I would totally comm a dps that could pull off tanking a bardam pull. that's impressive

I think my most shameful duty abandonment habit is during alliance roulettes right at the start if it's my 3-5th LOTA in a row. I'll also abandon a duty if people are being abusive to sprouts - "if you keep standing in stupid I'm going to stop raising you" is a thing I keep seeing healers parrot to first-timers for some reason after imo a reasonable # of deaths. I can't win in those situations because I'm like "yo chill tf out they are a sprout" and meanwhile the sprout is like "it's okay I deserve it, please don't fight mom and dad I don't even need to watch the cutscenes"

a few weeks ago I had a trial or NR where OT forgot to turn their stance on so I ate the tank buster, I got raised into a knockback and died again, and then the worst part, the dancer unfriended me. that was one of my lowest moments, my finger hovered over the abandon button for a couple beats after the raise notification

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hexwren posted:

here's the stupid part

sounds like you werent needed, skill issue

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you say 'you pull it you tank' you probably need your diapers changed. if you wanna go slow in a story run there's trusts. if its roulette then do it fast unless someone asks. double pulls are what the dungeons are designed for mechanically. heres how you double pull if youre scared:

1) run at all the enemies
2) pop a defensive cooldown
3) hit the aoe button
4) if defensive cooldown runs out, return to 2

'you pull you tank' is just whining for no reason. if a dps pulls to me i thank them for saving me five seconds of effort.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

bad dps (combined with honest healers) can make wall pulling stressful in the sense that you'll have to pop multiple big mitigation cooldowns in a singe pull but...

outside of that there aren't many reasons to not pull big

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oneiros posted:

main character tank syndrome should be studied
there's probably already some dissertations written on it

Honestly yeah tanks have been a consistent problem in literally all of my statics, we've even had someone switch from DPS to tank once and they immediately got main character syndrome! Not sure wtf is up with that

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I finally talked my wife into making a character and the process of making a new account on the PS5 is insane

You can download the free trial client. This will not let you start the free trial. For that you need to install the Stormblood Free Trial, which isn't findable in the PS Store - if it is, I know I couldn't. You have to buy it separately through the PC store.

The official website still points to the Heavensward Free Trial.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Xun posted:

Honestly yeah tanks have been a consistent problem in literally all of my statics, we've even had someone switch from DPS to tank once and they immediately got main character syndrome! Not sure wtf is up with that

there's definitely a big "i'm leading the party!" effect

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

try to start a pre-pull timer as a non-tank and see what happens

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

if you say 'you pull it you tank' you probably need your diapers changed. if you wanna go slow in a story run there's trusts. if its roulette then do it fast unless someone asks. double pulls are what the dungeons are designed for mechanically. heres how you double pull if youre scared:

1) run at all the enemies
2) pop a defensive cooldown
3) hit the aoe button
4) if defensive cooldown runs out, return to 2

'you pull you tank' is just whining for no reason. if a dps pulls to me i thank them for saving me five seconds of effort.

I'd argue there's an exception in mid levelling dungeons like the 63-65 ones because there's a decent chance the tank/healer is in poetics gear and mass pulling everything can lead to wipes (Bardam PTSD talking) but even then it's just "pull 2 packs instead of all of them".

Outside of that either the tank can grab aggro easily back and the DPS sped up the pulls or the DPS can literally tank with Bloodbath and Second Wind so yeah.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've been doing 10s pull timers in trails and raids when we've got ninjas and dancers and astrologians and i don't even know wtf else and the other tank almost always immediately pulls

and after giving then several rotations worth of leeway i almost aways catch up/overtake them on agro anyway

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oneiros posted:

there's definitely a big "i'm leading the party!" effect

In this game I've always felt the opposite with me and my pals who also tank. It's the laziest job where you can be chill the most. Lowest execution rotation, most forgiving of getting mechanics wrong or outright ignoring them, quickest queue time etc.

A tank is a lazy fat cat and im happy with that. Garfield rear end tanks. Its great that tanks can do a bit of cheeky goofing off even in the highest difficulty content and not get punished for it, and its a big reason I love to tank in this game. Really helped dispel any anxiety I had about the job.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Over the past half year that I've been playing this game I have not once encountered any toxicity. And I do roulettes a lot. Even when unreal/ex trials groups didn't go well people would just quietly leave or disband.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I feel like healer is where you get the real aggro leader style pressure goes. You do worse the more healing people need and you're constantly aware of how your party and the other healer is messing up because of it. I enjoy doing it too but its something I need to be prepared for, compared to tanking where I metaphorically can just roll out of bed and go.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sharkopath posted:

In this game I've always felt the opposite with me and my pals who also tank. It's the laziest job where you can be chill the most. Lowest execution rotation, most forgiving of getting mechanics wrong or outright ignoring them, quickest queue time etc.

A tank is a lazy fat cat and im happy with that. Garfield rear end tanks. Its great that tanks can do a bit of cheeky goofing off even in the highest difficulty content and not get punished for it, and its a big reason I love to tank in this game. Really helped dispel any anxiety I had about the job.

I'd love if there was a single sweaty tank job for people who want that but also I love being able to roll into some instance I haven't done in ages while stoned as poo poo and press all my cool Warrior buttons and win

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I get to do my first dungeon in 5 years today also archer is fun

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Healer is my most chill job to zone out on, really. I grumble about tanks not using their free mitigation and dps prolonging things with terrible rotations, but I can slam any number of various tools to pump those bars back up and keep them on the tightrope with their vuln stack juggling acts and if they're just really determined to die anyway, I can just shrug and rez them. Or they can eat floor until my swiftcast is back, depending.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive been known to hardcast the second (or even third) raise as a sort of personal challenge

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'd argue there's an exception in mid levelling dungeons like the 63-65 ones because there's a decent chance the tank/healer is in poetics gear and mass pulling everything can lead to wipes (Bardam PTSD talking) but even then it's just "pull 2 packs instead of all of them".

Outside of that either the tank can grab aggro easily back and the DPS sped up the pulls or the DPS can literally tank with Bloodbath and Second Wind so yeah.

imo the hardest dungeons as tank are the optional level 50 ones because they all have weird designs, weird bosses, you don't have your best mit button and it just feels like all the jobs are weak relative to the content at that level

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a few level 50 dungeons just let you run from one boss right up to the next boss and i think that owns

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

FuturePastNow posted:

imo the hardest dungeons as tank are the optional level 50 ones because they all have weird designs, weird bosses, you don't have your best mit button and it just feels like all the jobs are weak relative to the content at that level

Also some of the bosses are like straight up broken now. The Haukke Manor Hard boss has a DPS the adds or die phase but the problem is that a geared party can easily push the boss into the end of the phase in like 2 seconds causing a wipe. You have to coordinate with every party member to stop DPSing the boss because even a determinedly DPSing healer can wipe you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

As a tank main: gently caress people that do YPYT poo poo, it's obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

hexwren posted:

here's the stupid part

Why would you admit this?