Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Can you elaborate on point 1? What stacking is intentional and which is unintentional?

see the discussion of Damage Riders and Damage Sources here: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Damage_mechanics

specifically the "DRS" section on Damage Riders treated as Sources

DRS are intended to act as riders, but instead they also have riders applied to them. The example the wiki uses is the Lightning Jabber which is supposed to add 1d4 Lightning damage on a throw, but the 1d4 Lightning is actually treated as its own damage source and Tavern Brawler, Hex (or Hunter's Mark) etc are applied again independently on the 1d4 Lightning. So in non-Honour mode, a Lightning Jabber throw has Tavern Brawler bonus damage applied twice, once on the base weapon damage and again on the 1d4 Lightning.

There's a listing of DRS items, the wiki does a better job explaining than I do. It's part of what made throwbarb genuinely broken instead of just very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

They also ruined Mind Sanctuary and Perilous Stakes :argh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Act 3 Honor Mode: Sarevok down, really more like annihilated though. Lae'zel and my Sorcadin flattened him like a pancake while Karlach took care of the minions. Didn't even get to see his legendary action! He and the guardians outside his room drop such amazing loot, everybody in the party is looking super swole right about now.

I don't remember what triggered it last time, but I recall learning the secret password a lot earlier in my previous runs of the game. This time it took me until target #5 or 6 to gain access to the tribunal. Got to see some cutscenes I've never seen before!

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQdkEQ50cq8
Frodo is a monster

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Black Noise posted:

They also ruined Mind Sanctuary and Perilous Stakes :argh:

what's mind sanctuary

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

never ceases to amaze me that Elijah Wood is still 10 minutes with a razor away from looking like he’s 25.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

never ceases to amaze me that Elijah Wood is still 10 minutes with a razor away from looking like he’s 25.

Conversely, Sean Astin is like the incarnation of the platonic ideal of a white dad-man. He’s a dad elemental!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I like Sean Astin. I hope we never find out he's a secret giant rear end in a top hat.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Thundarr posted:

I don't suppose playing the game on Honor mode counts towards the Tactician achievement, or do they have to be two separate runs?

I finished honor mode a few days ago and got both the honor mode achievement and the tactician achievement at the same time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So in act 2 I decided to help Marcus kidnap what's her name the light lady and doom the town. Doing evil stuff always makes me feel bad and it's worse/funnier when you get your dialogue options for why you did it. One option was literally "I just wanted to see what would happen" and that's genuinely why I did it.

Evil things in this game feel very arbitrary. I don't think I could manage an evil run because every time I do the evil thing the outcome is weird. Maybe you could just think of it as amassing personal power, but even then it doesn't make sense because the evil things are helping dudes that hate you no matter what.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thinking about my next run as Origin Shadowheart and I'm considering making her a monk since this playthrough she was a paladin. She gets unique dialogue prompts as [Cleric of Shar] and even [Paladin of Shar], but does anybody know if she's got any [Sharran Monk] dialogue?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Mind Sanctuary deez nuts lmao

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Mind Sanctuary deez nuts lmao

Mind Sanctuary is an Act 3 power that makes all of your actions and bonus actions interchangable. It creates a beneficial aura so NPCs will try to run into it for the buff.

So if you have attack + bonus action you can do two main hand attacks. Or Wizards can cast two spells in a round besides misty step or other bonus action spells.

Haste would be 3 spells for a wizard or 6 attacks with a Paladin because of multi attack so 2 strikes each Action + Action + Bonus Action

This power isn't as useful for monks who use flurry of blows as a damaging bonus action regularly.

In Honour mode they just changed the power to be an AOE haste aura so there is no difference between this and Haste Spores which are a craftable consumable. Another pain point is that when haste is applied to someone who has haste it cancels the haste effect which causes you to become lethargic. So if you are hasted and run into an mind sanctuary in Honour mode you lose your turn.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

what's mind sanctuary

Nothing much, what's Mind Sanctuary with you?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Barcus just said magungus to me, Google doesn't even know what that is, so i think he just made up that word lol.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

It’s an Albany expression

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Black Noise posted:

It’s an Albany expression

Thanks, had to look that up, but I guess Albany means Scottish?

Also, after everyone was dead at Moonrise and it's the end of the battle, the four Absolute pilgrims came back from somewhere, all level 1 civilians and started attacking everyone with rocks. Quartermaster Talli just decimated them by herself. I was afraid to pitch in, because the pilgrims still showed up as "neutral" to me, and the game sometimes picks arbitrary sides. I was just wandering around outside looting while this was happening but noticed the battle messages so ran back in, and I noticed Barcus is now at half health, so glad Talli was there to save them.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

this made me giggle a lot. I am a sucker for LOTR stuff and these two specifically

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Somehow I want an option to pet Us and Shovel, just like Scratch and Owlbear :)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

poo poo online says you aren't supposed to have Summon Shovel permanently, but I seem to. Did they change that?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

poo poo online says you aren't supposed to have Summon Shovel permanently, but I seem to. Did they change that?

i'm reasonably certain they changed it in patch 2 or 3 to be permanent if you choose a dialogue option with her

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Well good. She's a bit useless but she's a mascot innit.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Well good. She's a bit useless but she's a mascot innit.

More than once she's used invisibility to sneak all the way through an active combat outside of turn based mode, and nailed a boss with an unlikely Frightened effect (didn't even have to save scum!). She's great.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Actually a high tier strat I discovered is having her turn invisible and stand in front of a ladder

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

AgentHaiTo posted:

Thanks, had to look that up, but I guess Albany means Scottish?

It's an old Simpsons joke. Basically lieing that a made up word/term is a perfectly cromulent expression, but you've just never heard of the term because it's a saying that's used exclusively in a hyper specific region (in the Simpsons joke, Albany, a city in upstate New York).

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm very early on a new run (before respecs are available) and I had Shadowheart use Invoke Duplicity as part of my assault on the ruins gang. The illusory duplicate slipped and fell on ice. Not sure if that's on brand or not.

e: also at what point does going actually unarmed on a monk make more sense than using a quarterstaff (or a torch)? Level 6 with Ki-empowered strikes and the Open Hand damage riders? Outside of equipment and Tavern Brawler anyway.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 24, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It always makes sense to use a staff as a Monk, even if you're fisting 100% of the time. There's a very good one sold by Auntie Ethel for that exact purpose.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

exquisite tea posted:

It always makes sense to use a staff as a Monk, even if you're fisting 100% of the time. There's a very good one sold by Auntie Ethel for that exact purpose.

What, you can have a staff in one hand and punch people with the other?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

tarbrush posted:

What, you can have a staff in one hand and punch people with the other?

You can still make the bonus unarmed attack if you're carrying a weapon.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCXqxGum75o

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I'm very early on a new run (before respecs are available) and I had Shadowheart use Invoke Duplicity as part of my assault on the ruins gang. The illusory duplicate slipped and fell on ice. Not sure if that's on brand or not.

e: also at what point does going actually unarmed on a monk make more sense than using a quarterstaff (or a torch)? Level 6 with Ki-empowered strikes and the Open Hand damage riders? Outside of equipment and Tavern Brawler anyway.

At lvl 6 you're clear to ditch the staff Ethel sells you. There are multiple pairs of gloves that add 1d4 (element) to your unarmed blows and they stack with your Manifestation of Mind Body & Soul attacks (and those will scale off WIS). In Act 3 there are gloves that add 1d10 force damage which make you a punchy nightmare.

^^you can make the bonus unarmed attack but your regular attacks will be missing out on all of the free damage the game is stacking on your character if you stay equipped.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Actually a high tier strat I discovered is having her turn invisible and stand in front of a ladder

Shovel and Conner are our party mascots, and have come thru for cheese wins all the time. Connor especially is just so good at breaking ambushes since the enemy all spend their rounds pounding him. Since you can just summon him again immediately after he dies with no cooldown, I sometimes just spam him again in the front so they continually aggro him, while Karlach launches her death from above attacks. Poor Connor has died like dozens in times in some of the longer battles lol.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Does the monk thing that makes staff weapons count as unarmed strikes not actually do that, or is it just that you have to specify that you are using it as an unarmed attack or something?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Professor Beetus posted:

Does the monk thing that makes staff weapons count as unarmed strikes not actually do that, or is it just that you have to specify that you are using it as an unarmed attack or something?

Quarterstaff will scale with your Martial Arts die but if you're Open Hand you lose out on Manifestation of X because those are Unarmed Only so while it technically works it's a net damage loss assuming your WIS is decent.

At least that's what the wiki is telling me, no clue if the thing that's supposed to make Monk weapons scale is actually working now that I think about it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah I was just wondering because it seems weird if it says that it counts as unarmed but doesn't in some cases because it doesn't specify as such in the tooltip.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

pseudodragon posted:

It's an old Simpsons joke. Basically lieing that a made up word/term is a perfectly cromulent expression, but you've just never heard of the term because it's a saying that's used exclusively in a hyper specific region (in the Simpsons joke, Albany, a city in upstate New York).

You've really embiggened the impact of this response.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

As best as I can tell, "monk weapon" just means any weapon you have proficiency with that isn't two handed or heavy, and lets you effectively apply the finesse tag to it. So if you're a monk and you pick up warhammer proficiency, you can use one with your Dex bonus if it's higher than Str. Just a slightly complicated nod to older D&D editions where there was a hard list of what was or was not a monk weapon.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thundarr posted:

As best as I can tell, "monk weapon" just means any weapon you have proficiency with that isn't two handed or heavy, and lets you effectively apply the finesse tag to it. So if you're a monk and you pick up warhammer proficiency, you can use one with your Dex bonus if it's higher than Str. Just a slightly complicated nod to older D&D editions where there was a hard list of what was or was not a monk weapon.

Ah ok, so there really does come a point where you should not even have a weapon equipped, didn't realize that. I really wish I could make a Tabaxi monk in this game, I had one in table top and it was incredible. Yes please, I would like to have up to 200 ft of movement in a single turn and be able to effortlessly scale walls.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Professor Beetus posted:

Ah ok, so there really does come a point where you should not even have a weapon equipped, didn't realize that. I really wish I could make a Tabaxi monk in this game, I had one in table top and it was incredible. Yes please, I would like to have up to 200 ft of movement in a single turn and be able to effortlessly scale walls.

Ditch the staff when you take tavern brawler

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Decided to fight the goblins at the windmill on this hm run and that's a tough little fight at level 3. I usually talk my way by it. Took some cunning to survive that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ginette Reno posted:

Decided to fight the goblins at the windmill on this hm run and that's a tough little fight at level 3. I usually talk my way by it. Took some cunning to survive that.

God help me even on most of my good characters I can't help but yeeting him myself. It's probably the best example of comic timing/physical comedy in the game, and the late cinematic director deserves to have his work appreciated. The dragonborn's facial expression in response made me lose my poo poo the first time I saw it. Just :discourse: