Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I kept mine pretty minimalist, didn't even put the track covers on. I think my biggest critique of the current GW sculpting style is the fear of empty space. The eye needs somewhere to rest.

tank hulls (and other large, flat surfaces) are hard to make look right without a bunch of techniques that you don't usually use at this scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

tank hulls (and other large, flat surfaces) are hard to make look right without a bunch of techniques that you don't usually use at this scale

Dabbing some oil filters on is surprisingly easy but requires paying the oil setup tax.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
yeah, there's an absolute ton you can do, but they don't involve using speedpaints over flats or base/shadow/highlight. GW likes covering their models with gribbly crap because gribbly crap can be painted that way

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah, there's an absolute ton you can do, but they don't involve using speedpaints over flats or base/shadow/highlight. GW likes covering their models with gribbly crap because gribbly crap can be painted that way

While true, I think it also has a lot to do with digital sculpting being an immature art. Lots of clutter certainly has advantages for novice painters/speedpaints, but imo models could be toned down a little. Giving them a more balanced approach that saw areas of interest alongside flatter areas that guide your eye to the interesting bits. Right now most new GW minis make me immediately think of Rick McCallum saying "its so dense".

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

While true, I think it also has a lot to do with digital sculpting being an immature art.

i don't think it's a lack of ability. just look at the knights. it's just an ugly house style.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Meanwhile I look at Stargrave minis and feel there's too little detail at places. Especially their bodies feel too smooth or bare.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It is a fun feeling going between GW models with more bits and pouches than a 90s superhero to old metal historicals of "dude in tunic, optionally shoes"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hell, you don't even need to look that far back with GW either, they just kept that stuff optional like with the old Cadian models and their various pouches.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

While true, I think it also has a lot to do with digital sculpting being an immature art. Lots of clutter certainly has advantages for novice painters/speedpaints, but imo models could be toned down a little. Giving them a more balanced approach that saw areas of interest alongside flatter areas that guide your eye to the interesting bits. Right now most new GW minis make me immediately think of Rick McCallum saying "its so dense".

I feel there has been a marked improvement in recent GW models. 2017-2020 was probably the peak of gribbly nonsense superfluous detail for GW models.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The new Berserkers are a good mix of detail and plain sections of power armour. There had to be the temptation to cover them in skulls and spikes like other chaos marine sculpts

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm not saying they can't sculpt, just that digital sculpting hasn't matured yet. Just because we can do something, doesn't always mean we should, but that takes time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Feel like random 3rd party sculpts meant for Chaos poo poo are way more guilty of this than any GW kit.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Eej posted:

Feel like random 3rd party sculpts meant for Chaos poo poo are way more guilty of this than any GW kit.

yeah, that is what I mean, digital sculpting is still very new, it isn't a GW problem. Most artists get carried away because you can do more detail, and that detail is much finer than what you can do with traditional methods.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Cooked Auto posted:

Meanwhile I look at Stargrave minis and feel there's too little detail at places. Especially their bodies feel too smooth or bare.

Different design ethos though, the Stargrave models are primarily customizable game pieces that are quick to build and get to the table, whereas GW products are primarily jewel-like objects of wonder.

Joking aside, I like GW a lot and I like building more than painting, but increasingly for me their newer kits are exhausting to prep for playing games.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

It feels like that's an issue for a lot of 3rd party sculpts, especially with the dawn of printing every designer seems to have had a part of their brain shut down where they don't take a step back and go "Is there too many details on this?".

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

It is a fun feeling going between GW models with more bits and pouches than a 90s superhero to old metal historicals of "dude in tunic, optionally shoes"

you can get pretty detailed historicals in plastic these days, though. take a look at victrix or warlord's newer 28mm plastics these days

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cease to Hope posted:

you can get pretty detailed historicals in plastic these days, though. take a look at victrix or warlord's newer 28mm plastics these days

Oh yeah definitely, but I started with metals. Though even then there's a lot of variety between and even across ranges

E: plus it is a nice break to not have to fiddle around too much

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

It feels like that's an issue for a lot of 3rd party sculpts, especially with the dawn of printing every designer seems to have had a part of their brain shut down where they don't take a step back and go "Is there too many details on this?".

I've seen so many 3rd party models that look like they'd detonate if you dropped it even an inch

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeeeeaaaah, not wrong there. Or look like absolute hell to paint with too many details everywhere.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cross posting from painting thread

quote:

Vostroyan Sergeant

This might be my best mini yet. This was a great guy to dip my toes into painting the eye, just one eye is fool-proof.

Next up is my Lord Solar conversion, I ended up not adding much detail to this guy. I wanted to give him a ton of medals, Zhukov style, but I couldn't make it work. I think the renaissance knight look suits him well enough.

What I need here is some help deciding how to paint him, specifically his horse's armour. My initial plan was to paint the barding brass, and the chainmail silver, like his armour, but I think that is just going to be too much brass. My worry is that if I paint it all silver/grey metal it will lose a lot of definition. Maybe silver base, and brass accents, keeping the chainmail darker than the rest? That should let the focus remain on the lord solar, without making the horse look like a giant mess of silver or brass. I might paint the horse black, I use black sparingly throughout the army, and I already have so much brown to paint with all the leather.

I'd super appreciate any thoughts on this. I think I have a solid plan, but don't feel 100% about it.

Also ugh, I can still see the "S" in the reins, I hope that is just because of how intense the lighting is, I couldn't see it before I took the picture...

Still looking for thoughts/reassurance on painting the horse, plus general basing ideas. I've got a lot of open base to work with. I prefer really minimalist basing, but I don't want it to look unfinished. If I can find a vostroyan casualty for a reasonable price I might put that in.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Virtual Russian posted:

Still looking for thoughts/reassurance on painting the horse, plus general basing ideas. I've got a lot of open base to work with. I prefer really minimalist basing, but I don't want it to look unfinished. If I can find a vostroyan casualty for a reasonable price I might put that in.

Maybe match the barding with the red coats instead of any metallic colour? It'll tie the horse into the army a bit more.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I was planning to do the cloth in red, but a fairly weathered red armor could work well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/24/sunday-preview-return-to-the-battle-for-macragge/

And for... reasons I can't explain. GW has announced that the old Battle for Macragge set is coming back on a Made to Order basis.

quote:

This set will be available to order from 10am local time on Monday the 25th of December until 8am GMT on Tuesday the 2nd of January 2024. As a Made To Order product, this may take up to 180 days to ship.

It might just be a must grab for some due to the crashed Aquila lander terrain. But otherwise? :geno:

Meanwhile on WarCom, they're rolling out the teasers for next year.

quote:

Tune in tomorrow for a huge reveal, followed by something special on Boxing Day. Throughout the week, there will be teases for what’s coming in 2024

With the emphasis they're putting on huge, expect a large sized model of some kind.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I love the little pilot. Otherwise yeah, I don't see the appeal. Nothing in there is truly iconic or impossible to source.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah that set has been hugely proliferated by this point so getting any of those things, maybe except the pilot won't be too hard. Nor too costly.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I have no reason to ever order it, but Battle for Macragge was always on the shelves of my LGS when I went in to play FNM way before I got into the physical side of 40k so it's nostalgic to see it getting reprinted. Nostalgia for a thing I didn't even interact with, weird.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

IIRC the set was an underwhelming mix of minis even on release. Seems weird.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Agree its a weird choice, but if it's not too expensive I think I'm going for it. I've wanted some pushfit regular marines again for some time & I need 1 genestealer to replace the 1 that went missing from my copy of Space Hulk.

This is pretty much the worst retro starter they could reprint though; the only really solid piece is the crashed lander.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The downed lightning isn't that exciting or nostaligic for me. Now the 3rd Edition starter set's terrain is something I'd buy a few of. Those tiny plastic L-shaped ruins and those plastic jungle trees live forever in my memory. Just add a toothpick cactus and you're set for a whole weekend of floorhammer with friends in 1999.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Virtual Russian posted:

Depending on what the rest of the your army is like, something like a laquered red armor could be cool. Also, doing some litanies or a devotional painting in that forward diamond section could be cool. Or like an illuminated manuscript version of the army number/icon or whatever.

As far as the basing goes, having some randos marching along would sell the idea of a renaissance painting. They could also break the horse's armor up visually as well; having someone stand by the back half of the horse would make the giant expanse of brass less overwhelming if you were still worried about that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/24/sunday-preview-return-to-the-battle-for-macragge/

And for... reasons I can't explain. GW has announced that the old Battle for Macragge set is coming back on a Made to Order basis.

It might just be a must grab for some due to the crashed Aquila lander terrain. But otherwise? :geno:

Meanwhile on WarCom, they're rolling out the teasers for next year.

With the emphasis they're putting on huge, expect a large sized model of some kind.

I have fond memories of this set because I picked up some of the marines for ~.75C each on eBay and painted them with my nephew :3

I will not be buying more

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I got over excited for the old plastic box-naut and then remembered he's from Assault on Black Reach.

Goddamn that would have been a better choice in every way.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Painting a Dreadnought is on my wish list, I just can’t justify the cost when I only play (occasionally these days) Kill Team.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I like the idea of Hereteks that aren't psycho chaos dudes, but just functional scientists.

In the Dark Heresy books they had a blurb about a 'heretical text' that was basically just 'hey guys, we developed this thing called a scientific method, maybe check it out?' and all the proponents were declared hereteks and had to flee/go underground.

I mean a bunch of nerdy researchers probably aren't as exciting for an army, though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like the idea of human scientists fleeing to the Tau

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Asking the brave question of "what if fascism bad?" before a power armored boot stomps on your face.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

moths posted:

I got over excited for the old plastic box-naut and then remembered he's from Assault on Black Reach.

Goddamn that would have been a better choice in every way.

That was a loving excellent starter set, though I'm probably biased cause it was my first.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Depending on what the rest of the your army is like, something like a laquered red armor could be cool. Also, doing some litanies or a devotional painting in that forward diamond section could be cool. Or like an illuminated manuscript version of the army number/icon or whatever.

As far as the basing goes, having some randos marching along would sell the idea of a renaissance painting. They could also break the horse's armor up visually as well; having someone stand by the back half of the horse would make the giant expanse of brass less overwhelming if you were still worried about that.

I might just have to do tiny 40k icon paintings in those diamonds, that is too good an idea not to.

I'm hearing red armor from a couple sources, but I'm not sure it is the right choice given the context of the rest of the army. It is solely reserved for cloth throughout the army. I'm going to think on it. My saving grace here is that it will be the easiest part of the mini to repaint if I change my mind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The black reach warboss is one of my favourite models ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Virtual Russian posted:

I might just have to do tiny 40k icon paintings in those diamonds, that is too good an idea not to.

I'm hearing red armor from a couple sources, but I'm not sure it is the right choice given the context of the rest of the army. It is solely reserved for cloth throughout the army. I'm going to think on it. My saving grace here is that it will be the easiest part of the mini to repaint if I change my mind.

Go full Tsarist classist bullshit. White primary colour, gold accent, red cloth. This horse is worth more and more beloved than these piss filled peasants it leads.