Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another 'pretty but didn't click with me' vote for Have a Nice Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Scarlet Tower's 1.0 update is releasing on January. Their 0.9.9 update (lol) is kinda big though.

quote:

New Features
[•] New Character: Maeve
[•] Ultimate Ability for all characters
[•] Endless Mode
[•] Smuggler Merchant, selling permanent status (Endless Mode)
[•] New Currency: Shinning Coin (used in the smuggler merchant of Endless Mode)
[•] New NPC: Engineer (she appears on the map when you have 3 fusions)
[•] New UI: Endless Shop (to buy Shinning Coin)
[•] New UI: Bestiary
[•] New UI: Arsenal
[•] Now you can see your weapons/fusions during leveling
[•] Native Translation to Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Korean.
[•] "Minimap" is no longer part of achievements; it's unlocked from the beginning of the game.
[•] +15 New Achievements
[•] Fusions now belong to two weapon families (from the weapons that participated in the fusion)
[•] 2 New Glyphs for Ninn's Elemental
[•] The talent "Alchemical Mirror" now has a visual effect
[•] Life Shield now has a visual effect
[•] All new weapons from the last update have been released
[•] New Fusion: Fire Skeleton Staff
[•] New Fusion: Ice Skeleton Staff
[•] New Fusion: Slime Skeleton Staff
[•] New Tooltips in the Pause Menu

So far I can say I really enjoy the ultimate abilities, the Bestiary/Arsenal and the permanent minimap. It's still pretty average and a bit overly complex for its own good but IMO it's a worth a purchase on sale once you exhaust the better offerings of the genre.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The tutorial for Tiny Rogue turned me on to the best controller feature: Right STICK aims your attacks where you point it, modulo aim assist; right TRIGGER auto-snaps to an enemy (that you can hit) and attacks at it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

King of Solomon posted:

It's very pretty, but I found the game kinda frustrating to play. As far as recent action roguelikes go, I wouldn't really recommend it

Turin Turambar posted:

Another 'pretty but didn't click with me' vote for Have a Nice Death.

Roger that, bought Pizza Tower instead.

(I know it's not a roguelike)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 24, 2023

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

John Lee posted:

The tutorial for Tiny Rogue turned me on to the best controller feature: Right STICK aims your attacks where you point it, modulo aim assist; right TRIGGER auto-snaps to an enemy (that you can hit) and attacks at it.

I can finally take a scroll

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

regarding tiny rogues aim assist: it works on keyboard only controls too, default being wasd to move and up/down/left/right to fire

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

some weapons like scrolls don't work that well with aim assist though

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I've noticed the weapons that have the ground targeting are kind of a pain to use on a controller. You can aim them fine, but trying to aim them while also moving is hard.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I got Tiny Rogues and nearly killed Death on the starter run, killed him on the second. Not sure how I feel about the game so far. It's fairly fun but everything feels ridiculously random and it feels incredibly hard to pull any kind of coherent build together instead of just picking whatever random poo poo seems good of what you're offered because it feels like there's an absolutely huge item pool but an incredibly tiny amount of it is offered to you in any one run. In the two runs I did I never actually saw both pieces of a set, and in the first run I had a decent explosive weapon so I picked an explosive perk and then never saw another weapon that did explosive damage for the entire run.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the dice help with controlling the randomness a little bit

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Tiny Rogues actually does fudge the item/trait pool towards stuff that matches what you already have, but obviously it's by no means guaranteed. Abuse rerolls, steer into rewards that are likely to complete sets, be prepared to take a bunch of different stuff speculatively knowing that it won't all pan out, and later on replace traits that turn out to be duds.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Once you hit the tier 3 cinders you can start taking a bag of dice into each run. I also highly prioritize getting dice rewards. Other than that most of my successful builds focus on attack speed then some other way of scaling like crits, cast on crit, crushing hits, DoTs, etc.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah I've noticed the weapons that have the ground targeting are kind of a pain to use on a controller. You can aim them fine, but trying to aim them while also moving is hard.

just use the right trigger

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

John Lee posted:

just use the right trigger

In my experience it doesn't auto-aim them, unlike other weapons.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

In my experience it doesn't auto-aim them, unlike other weapons.

It didn't used to, but now it does in the new update. In fact, I honestly think it aims them too well, because it will aim them outside the screen, hitting enemies you can't even see, which would be impossible for a mouse-using player no matter how good they are.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

John Lee posted:

It didn't used to, but now it does in the new update. In fact, I honestly think it aims them too well, because it will aim them outside the screen, hitting enemies you can't even see, which would be impossible for a mouse-using player no matter how good they are.

I'm talking of the new update too. Weapon that use a cursor/ground target, they fire like a mortar.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It pretty sure does auto aim the mortar attacks, I used to stay away from them for the same reason but I have had some good luck using them now that they do. I still think moving the cursor influences what it aims at but it doesn't seem to need to be, at least not anymore.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

the best part is it will autoaim way past the screen that is visible to you on big maps like bosses, so it will mortar the hell out of them lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
How flesh out does spell disk feel currently? I tried the demos and had fun but wondering if its worth picking up now for a christmas present to myself~

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

How flesh out does spell disk feel currently? I tried the demos and had fun but wondering if its worth picking up now for a christmas present to myself~

I've put 40 hours into it and I'm not bored i:shrug:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

e. figured it out

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 25, 2023

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

On that note: do people prefer Aces & Adventures or Poker Quest? I'm still waiting for Balatro, but maybe one of these will do until then?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just picked Aces & Adventures back up after not playing for a while. I think the Invernal Spire had just come out last I played. I played a bit of Poker Quest and liked it quite a bit but just got caught up with other games. I'll probably give it a look again while I'm home for the holidays.

I never did play Balatro but it looks like the demo ends this month. Any point in picking it up now or should I just wait? Thinking I might as well go all in on poker RLs while I'm home lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone keeping up with Quasimorph? Curious how it is after a couple months of patches.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anyone keeping up with Quasimorph? Curious how it is after a couple months of patches.

I've got about seven hours in it right now and the only reason I don't have three times that is I've been sick as hell. Mind you I only picked it up earlier this week so that's still pretty solid and I don't know how it was pre-patches but right now it feels pretty good. Also my brain is soup so sorry if this is basically useless.

It's very much a game that feels too easy until it suddenly isn't, the opportunities to be either literally or functionally insta-killed are not many but you will come up against them somewhat regularly. Quasimorphs, flamethrower wielding humans and saw launcher humans being the deadliest of the bunch. Abusing the three stage AP system lets you kill most of those threats before they can even respond but the second you gently caress it up it's a bad time. There's a definite chill feel to it up until you meet one of those things though and digging through the loot and dealing with the varying systems has been pretty brain off for me a lot of the time, which may or may not be what you want in a tactical roguelike-ish thing.

Actual mechanical thoughts;

Balance is pretty bad right now but I also don't know what the devs intend on that front in the future. Armor is borderline invincibility when most of your enemies have 9mm and buckshot but the second you leave the 'starter' areas things ratchet up dramatically and the quasimorph weapons straight up do not care what you're wearing, ever. From the player side, a regular supply of 7.97 or energy cells and guns to shoot them means you'll never have any real problems dealing with humans, which gives a pretty solid You Are A Badass PMC feeling and is also a bit too easy. The classes are wildly swingy, from seemingly borderline useless to "just pick Tunnel Rats."

Quasimorphosis gives a cool sort of timer effect to missions done on non-Mars locations and definitely increases the difficulty but it might be a little too much at the moment. If you're not loaded down with smokes, booze and morphine - all of which reduce the probability of quasimorphs showing up on the death of a human - things can rapidly get out of hand. Since most of the sentient(?)/armed quasimorphs are armed with instakill weapons if they get a shot off, the best solution seems to be some form of setting the map on fire and letting god sort it out. Since this doesn't damage things on the floor or corpses currently, not much downside to it.

The current barter system with the AI factions is kind of dogshit right now and they have both "Barter Rebalance" and "Barter Rework" listed on their roadmap which gives me some pause about what the hell they're doing but who knows.

Thus far, big fan of it, pretty recommended and it's definitely something that you will know whether it's for you inside the refund window.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 26, 2023

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Schism also endeavoring solidly alongside many fixes since the recent EA* start alongside the massive upsurge of peerage that is Tiny Rogues:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2084300/view/3905248409706062883

quote:

NEW
-new mechanic: Enemy modifiers! Watch out for later floors!
-new rare event: The Saint
-new enemy: Chrysanimalis
-new disease: Short Sighted
-new disease: Coal Magnet
-new rare chest: Wrapped Present

BALANCE
-reduced orrery cannon AP cost (thanks dave)
-reworked Jingly Keys: now gives luck when you use a key
-Duke of Hate's green laser has a travel time now
-reduced absorption amount of relic Tinfoil Helmet
-reduced amount of shield given by Shield Psy
-rescaled relic Invoker Sigil proc rate
-reduced relic Vibratium Knife crit given

TWEAKS
-locked doors are not interactable during fights (thanks dave)
-boss exit doesn't have interact symbol while boss is alive
-removed circle attack around dark god's summon phase
-most allies have their speed capped
-optimized relic Vibratium Knife effect (thanks Aleksh)
-optimized smoke effects
-optimized relic Fire Psy effect

NEW
-new trap: Mine Shaker
-new rare enemy: The Cretin
-weapon "Gold Steel" now has a chance to turn killed enemies into gold (thanks dave)
-rooms sometimes have a lot of explosives in them

BALANCE
-put a small CD on weapon mod Bee Shot
-reduced odds of Donation Machine giving a chest (thanks Loisence Inspector)
-prime god reduces your faith to 0 upon picking him
-prime god increases faith xp needed per level
-prime god only drops Base Reality at faith level 9+
-fly queen boss's eggs are enemies now
-weapon boom stick has reduced attack speed, but has tap fire now
-reduced enemy attack speed (thanks Robopotamus)
-relic Occult Wand does not increase damage with INT
-reduced INT scaling with relic Zealot's Mask
-reduced INT crit cap on relic The Collector's Knife
-reworked NPC Printer's chances and gave it a limited stock mechanic
-reduced relic Power Psy scaling and INT scaling
-rescaled relic Chaos Sigil power and INT scaling
-rescaled relic Invoker Sigil power and INT scaling
-removed HP cap on ARMOR and SHIELDS
-donation machines can explode when given enough money
-donation machines require saved money to be able to take money from it

TWEAKS
-optimized pain aura, preschool dropout, child alpha
-game will now auto-save at the start of new floors, but this save only lasts that room
-new option to change direction of mousewheel scroll for weapon select (thanks Devi1Hawk)
-card "helping hand" now destroys all walls to prevent choices clipping into them (thanks Spindart)
-slightly optimized occult wand's effect (thanks Lambo)
-relic "Round Table" now has a cap on how much INT affects it (thanks Aleksh)
-immune popup from invincible enemies has a timer (thanks Aleksh)

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Roluth posted:

On that note: do people prefer Aces & Adventures or Poker Quest? I'm still waiting for Balatro, but maybe one of these will do until then?

They're kind of doing slightly different things, with Poker Quest being more of a barebones roguelike branching map experience while A&A is offering a more narrative-driven take to the genre (it does have a pure rl mode but imo it's clear that wasn't their focus). The battle gameplay itself is a solid 7/10 in both games and i enjoyed them both, although my playtime in poker quest is slightly longer

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Chaotic Flame posted:

I just picked Aces & Adventures back up after not playing for a while. I think the Invernal Spire had just come out last I played. I played a bit of Poker Quest and liked it quite a bit but just got caught up with other games. I'll probably give it a look again while I'm home for the holidays.

I never did play Balatro but it looks like the demo ends this month. Any point in picking it up now or should I just wait? Thinking I might as well go all in on poker RLs while I'm home lol

...there are poker roguelikes? :psyduck:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

You need to play Balatro right loving now my dude

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

There's a roguelike for everything. It's a (good) problem

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Well, video poker, yes.

Also blackjack.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Balatro is going to set the world on fire. Everyone and their grandmas will be playing Balatro. Its that good B)

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You can do anything at Balatro com

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Goddamnit, Scarlet Tower, I really want to like you but you make it so hard :negative: Whether it's the lack of information regarding what the hell your ongoing effects are, localization issues such as weapons or effects having multiple names, gameplay issues like improved summon weapons being absolutely useless since your previous summons don't get replaced by the new ones and it's impossible for them to die, or even UI popups getting permanently stuck on your screen... it's all a bummer. :(

Azran fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 26, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

grate deceiver posted:

You need to play Balatro right loving now my dude

Man I am dying for a release date, haven't seen anything though. But it looks like he's started buying ads on reddit linking to the demo so hopefully soon

edit: well actually there was an announcement that they're pulling the demo by the end of the month, so yeah play that if you haven't

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I have put more hours in Balatro demo than in many full release games.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm not really a fan of metaprogression in run-based games, since it makes things feel like a grind to get to a level where you're allowed to beat the game.
Are there any newer roguelikes/lites/whatevers that go whole hog into the concept of metaprogression, where the point of a run isn't really to beat the game, but to gain as much metacurrency/progression material as possible? The closest I can think of is something like the old flash game Motherload, where each "run" consisted of digging a mine, getting as many valuable things as possible, then ending your run by going back up, selling items and unlocking upgrades to make the next run more profitable.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
not a roguelike but at a certain point tactical nexus shifts into being meta progression the game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

I'm not really a fan of metaprogression in run-based games, since it makes things feel like a grind to get to a level where you're allowed to beat the game.
Are there any newer roguelikes/lites/whatevers that go whole hog into the concept of metaprogression, where the point of a run isn't really to beat the game, but to gain as much metacurrency/progression material as possible? The closest I can think of is something like the old flash game Motherload, where each "run" consisted of digging a mine, getting as many valuable things as possible, then ending your run by going back up, selling items and unlocking upgrades to make the next run more profitable.

Loop hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Elswyyr posted:

This kind of hops the fence into the idle/incremental games thread I think; which are entirely about metaprogression.

FWIW I really do like metaprogression in games, because unlocking stuff just makes my monkey neurons activate, but I recognize that some people don't like 'I can't just beat the game from the go?'