Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Probably yeah, the Odin got Android 10 while the Odin Lite had 11 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

In for a Blue/Teal 4 Pro + Grip + Case. Can’t wait to use this thing for game streaming and such.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Initial trip report: Analogue Duo

So I got my Duo yesterday.
Pros:
***** plays burned cds
***** nice size. Smaller than I expected
***** nice asthetics
***** probably the better value compared to buying a PC Engine or TG-16 these days, especially considering a turbo duo laser will probably die within a few years.
Cons:
** My hu flash card does not seem to work. Someone else apparently got one to work but I don't know if it's my card or my console that isn't working. Waiting on a regular hu card game to be able to test it.
** expensive for what it is. You don't get anything out of it aside from the ability to play hu cards that you can't already get out of the analogue pocket. The landed cost for mine was $277 plus maybe change but that's without sales tax. If you have high sales tax it's going to hurt more.
** save states don't work yet. come on, Analogue. Get that done.

I'm considering getting a turbo everdrive pro, since it's nearly the only one I don't have right now. I was about to buy a copy of Dai Makai-Mura (Ghouls n Ghosts) and then I found out that it's like $250 so I might as well get the EDP and just play it that way.

The power supply is a usb C power adapter and they warn you to not use a different one because things might go wonky with it. I think it would be nice to see what changes they make via firmware. I just hope it happens quickly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

16bit Pro + Grip & Case here :toot:

And now to select all the games to put onto the SD card :toot:

Corb3t posted:

In for a Blue/Teal 4 Pro + Grip + Case. Can’t wait to use this thing for game streaming and such.

I think the fact the Pro can do 1080p output to a TV is a huge QOL improvement.

Being able to plonk this down at a mates place, hand them a controller and play some arcade games on their TV going to be a lot of fun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Went for a Pro in 16 Bit and a Transparent Grip, they unfortunately sold out of cases between me putting one in my cart and going to checkout, so gonna need to find an alternate

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think the Pocket 3 case should fit it. The dimensions are roughly the same.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Been craving a Flip since they came out so I’m holding out for the Flip Pro.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Miyoo Mini (not plus) is back in stock, couldn't resist and grabbed a "collector item".

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...o2usa4itemAdapt

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 21, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I didn't realize there was a clue Miyoo Mini+. drat.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Russ and other reviewers were saying the v4 was kinda crap compared to the previous iterations so just beware

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I didn't realize there was a clue Miyoo Mini+. drat.

That’s the regular Mini, not the Plus.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oooooh okay now I don't feel so down.

I had to wrap my MM+ up since so I'd have gifts under the tree to unwrap. I guess it's cool that I already have it set up but my older son will catch on that I've already had it when he sees I've got saves on it already.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Retroid quietly released a metal version of the Pocket 2S apparently? $150 seems steepish when you get an RP4 for the same price

https://www.goretroid.com/products/retroid-pocket-2s-metal-edition-handheld

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

That’s been out for a bit. It’s cool if you’re collecting(like the SFL edition)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I always thought metal versions were neat, but I really liked how light the 2S was, so not something I’m interested in anymore.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah the metal 351 was real cool but also hurt the hands after a bit

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Metal doesn’t feel nostalgic, which is 99.9% of the point for me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Are the extra thumb sticks worth getting? On the pro 4 I mean

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They're the same type of joystick. You'd be ordering spare parts.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Is there any appreciable difference between the 3gb vs. 4gb Pocket 2s? There was a price decrease and I'm intrigued

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

For emulation no, the ram difference is mostly relevant for Android specific things aka playing Genshin/Honkai.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW just picked up an RG Nano and I'm loving it. I have a handful of these various-sized devices including a Thumby, TrimUI model S, and original Miyoo Mini and I'm glad to report that it's not too tiny to play on (like the Thumby where you have to use your nails to hit the buttons). The TrimUI is closest in idea to "small enough to keep in your pocket" but the clicky buttons are too loud in case you want to do some covert game playing at work, for instance. The RG Nano buttons are silent and very responsive like any larger Anbernic device. I don't even have to find a way to swap the B/A keys in gameboy or NES games to Y/B like I usually do because my thumb can cover both B and A and just pivot.

Yeah, there are some scaling issues you have to adjust to depending on the system, but I'm okay with it. Since it has a 1:1 ratio, some systems work better than others. I actually think SNES works amazingly since I prefer the true 8:7 scaling anyway, so using the "cropped" option works because developers accounted for some overscan (the UI is still within the crop). For some reason, PC Engine's "scaled" option is broken still so you have to play stretched. Not the end of the world.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 22, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Regretting my decision to purchase a retro handheld due to the fact I now need to organise a collection of ROMs to put on the drat thing.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Welcome to the first game (that you can never complete)

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Infinitum posted:

Regretting my decision to purchase a retro handheld due to the fact I now need to organise a collection of ROMs to put on the drat thing.

I got you covered, here's the only list of ROMs you'll ever need

Edit:

I picked up an RGB30 about a month ago. This is a great little machine for pico-8. I had never played anything in the library before, but splore is amazing and now I am hooked on the watermelon game. It's not all peaches though, as even on arkOS sometimes it refuses to turn without a reset. Also, I found the dpad cursed with "false diagonals" which made Picross, Link's Awakening, and the shooting sequences in Snatch as real pain. Kapton tape on the sensor pads seemed to do the trick.

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 24, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Froist posted:

Welcome to the first game (that you can never complete)

And some people cheat at it by just going for 1G1R (1 game, 1 rom) sets. I guess 4000+ NES roms is just too much for some people to handle :colbert:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*looks at 2Tb of roms*
Yes... indecision..

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Infinitum posted:

It’s just like elementary school. All you need is the 3 Rs. Rastan, Revenge of Shinobi, and Super Mario RPG.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Just be happy you're not a MAME guy

Assuming you're not a MAME guy

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Just be happy you're not a MAME guy

Assuming you're not a MAME guy

*looks at pile of unassembled arcade cabinet parts*
...yes

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If anybody here uses an Xbox as an emulation station 8bitdo is releasing a compatible version of their fantastic M30 controller.

Comes out 12/26, $35 via Amazon or 8bitdo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Infinitum posted:

*looks at pile of unassembled arcade cabinet parts*
...yes

🫂

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Turns out some cores technically are able to use the display modes already in AnalogueOS 2.0 just by editing some json files. Just GBC, GBA and Game Gear currently. Probably have to wait for the other core developers to work on implementing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnaloguePocket/comments/18pyjsk/psa_pocket_display_modes_are_already_supported_on/

Edit: Pocket updater just recently updated to force it on cores, so your YMMV: https://github.com/mattpannella/pocket-updater-utility/releases/tag/2.41.0

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 24, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/gkdpixel/status/1739023627121484127?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

Flash games?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Some can run game platforms, but not all of them. Hope you get one of the ones that can I guess

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess theoretically they could run flash games via ruffle?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Finally a handheld that lets me play Kramer's epic quest for hentai

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Here are the specs

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh that's an old MIPS processor

not ideal in TYOOL 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004