Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Doronin posted:

For some reason the Norway film always really did it for me. Just loved it. Do they even still show it? Even though it wasn't that long ago, I have no recollection of the Frozen ride exit.

no, as far as I know they wiped out the entire theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Correct. Most of the interior queue for Frozen was the old Maelstrom theater. You board Frozen where you used to disembark from Maelstrom, and the first scene of Frozen was the former load area for Maelstrom.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I did like that film though. Moments of peaceful serene Norwegian landscapes then HELICOPTERS, OIL RIGS, LOUD OMINOUS MUSIC

It was a solid watch.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Correct. Most of the interior queue for Frozen was the old Maelstrom theater. You board Frozen where you used to disembark from Maelstrom, and the first scene of Frozen was the former load area for Maelstrom.

yeah, that sounds right. I always get turned around in that queue (and usually hurt because of the barrels) because I think my stupid body is trying to autopilot the old Maelstrom queue. Sigh.

I wonder if they just scrapped everything, that theater was really gorgeous.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
My fondest memories of Maelstrom is sprinting through the theater before they closed the doors and you were stuck watching that agonizingly long video.

Then they just left the doors open and the sport was extinguished.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Thank you all for the Epcot lowdown. I have a better idea now. For a moment I considered mostly skipping Epcot. Good thing I asked.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I go to Epcot 3 to 4 times a month don't skip Epcot day

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

Looking at possibly doing Disney Paris in July with a 4 and 2 year old, both girls. Any tips? How many days should we need? They both love marvel/superheroes, is the new York hotel good for that? They're not big on princesses not named Cinderella or Moana and they've just started watching Mickey mouse clubhouse which is a very quick new favourite.

Any must sees? Must avoids?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Well, poo poo. No wonder I don't really remember the ride exit. I guess if I'm ever feeling nostalgic and just need to see The Spirit of Norway, I'm sure there's got to be home video versions floating around YouTube and the like.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bumfluff posted:

Looking at possibly doing Disney Paris in July with a 4 and 2 year old, both girls. Any tips? How many days should we need? They both love marvel/superheroes, is the new York hotel good for that? They're not big on princesses not named Cinderella or Moana and they've just started watching Mickey mouse clubhouse which is a very quick new favourite.

Any must sees? Must avoids?

Before I had kids my wife and I (through meticulous planning) managed to do everything in a weekend.
When my son was 4 we went again for a weekend but didn’t do everything. (For one reason my son was getting burned out from all the stimulation).
Last time I went (beginning of the year) I don’t recall seeing Moana.
The lion king show last time was nice at least.
Frozen show in the studios park is quaint, your kids will probably like it.
Avengers campus was still under construction so I can’t help you there.
I’d say kids that young 2-3 days (depending on what day) should be enough to have the feeling you did everything you wanted to do.
When we went last time we were there during a normal weekday and as a result lines were minuscule and we did both parks in 2 days and did some rides again.
The crush coaster is the most popular ride and will fill up completely from the word go.
Remy’s ratatouille is the second most popular I think.

I have never been to the New York hotel. I usually go cheaper since even the cheapest Disney hotel is like a 10 minute walk.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

Thank you all for the Epcot lowdown. I have a better idea now. For a moment I considered mostly skipping Epcot. Good thing I asked.

Never skip Epcot. It's always worth a visit, even if it's just to stroll around World Showcase and eat expensive food.

(That said, Guardians of the Galaxy is my new favorite Disney ride, so that's a reason to go any day of the week)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Doronin posted:

Well, poo poo. No wonder I don't really remember the ride exit. I guess if I'm ever feeling nostalgic and just need to see The Spirit of Norway, I'm sure there's got to be home video versions floating around YouTube and the like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctKmFZ2sNlE tada

Epcot's also really nice to get neat random non-disney themed things at that aren't your typical walmart stuff for like, stocking stuffers or valentines or whatever.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I think Disney has finally priced me out. We are going for a few days in February for the 5K weekend, using my DVC points to stay and I went to grab a 3 day park hopper for 3 adults….

$1800+.

What the gently caress Disney?

I’m considering staying and going to Universal instead aside from the 5K. For slightly more I can stay at Aventura, add standard express and do 4 days at the parks.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Douchebag posted:

I think Disney has finally priced me out. We are going for a few days in February for the 5K weekend, using my DVC points to stay and I went to grab a 3 day park hopper for 3 adults….

$1800+.

Yeah, they priced out our family for Magic Keys here at Disneyland. I can't justify $1650 for a pass, that's like 3 international flights! And most everything we care about will be down in 2024 anyway. It's a bummer, but we've had a good ride.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

As much as I wanna go down and finish my stupid as hell "put my service dog in front of all the christmas trees at the different WDW resorts" quest from last year, we're doing it next year instead. We have a lot of reasons to be in Orlando next year. This year, not so much.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Douchebag posted:

$1800+.

I’m considering staying and going to Universal instead aside from the 5K. For slightly more I can stay at Aventura, add standard express and do 4 days at the parks.
You can save a few hundred dollars with Undercover Tourist or a travel agent. Still pricey though!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ticket prices have almost doubled since we started going in 2016. I bought a gold AP one year for 599.

Doesn’t help my kids are Disney adults now, but 4 x 7 day park hoppers for our trip in Feb are 3400 dollars from undercover tourist.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

One thing that pisses me off is Disney stops child pricing at 9. Universal is 17.

Undercover Tourist saves me around $250, better than nothing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Always use Undercover Tourist if you're not using a travel agent.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Douchebag posted:

One thing that pisses me off is Disney stops child pricing at 9. Universal is 17.

Undercover Tourist saves me around $250, better than nothing.

Yeah I thought it was weird that for the hotel my 17 y/o brother is still considered a child (and so the room with him in it was cheaper) but for tickets, meals, etc. he’s an adult.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
In like 2016 I took a survey and said I’d pay more if the parks were less crowded. *monkey’s paw curls* we got way more hard ticket events and parks are more crowded than ever during the day.

I’m sorry everyone.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair I don’t think they anticipated the crowds not tapering off with the increased prices either. People keep saying they’re gonna stop going and then… keep going.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Is there a comprehensive list of closed down for maintenance rides? I know Paris has one, but I can’t seem to find it on the DWD site. There are third party sites which seem to say stuff is only closed in januari?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Darth TNT posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of closed down for maintenance rides? I know Paris has one, but I can’t seem to find it on the DWD site. There are third party sites which seem to say stuff is only closed in januari?

https://www.screamscape.com is usually pretty accurate if you go to the individual page for whatever park. Warning: it is definitely stuck in the 90s/00s and you'll want to have adblock on, but the information is good.

Bear in mind that this only applies to scheduled maintenance, any ride can be closed at any time because something broke or whatever. As of right now, the only major attractions at WDW scheduled to be closed through spring are Splash Mountain, Rock n Roller Coaster, and Typhoon Lagoon. But again, anything can just be closed for the day, that's what the app is for.

e: also, they usually don't announce spring rehab schedules until after the holidays are over, so keep an eye out second week of January or so.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 23, 2023

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

To be fair I don’t think they anticipated the crowds not tapering off with the increased prices either. People keep saying they’re gonna stop going and then… keep going.

from what i understand some portion of the feeling crowded is because they optimize operations for forecasted demand, that is, on low crowd days they put less staff in the park and run the rides at lower capacity such that the wait times stay about the same and they save money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you're Canadian you definitely have to check out the Canada video. It's that usual schmaltzy garbage stuff Canada propaganda departments love to do to pretend we're not awful here.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

They also thought the whole reservation system would give them more control of the crowds, but like with anything Disney does they got greedy and upped the amount of reservations to the max so people wouldn't get upset and not give Disney their money.

It's like how in 2013-2014 the Halloween and Christmas parties truly felt like a limited crowd, but now they just sell and sell because telling people they are sold out means turning away money. I went to a party in 2017 that felt just as crowded as a regular day and it made me swear off the parties.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Disney has spent a long time underbuilding capacity compared to demand, and then spent a while ignoring that problem even more by just removing anything that would even slightly reduce foot traffic throughput (like benches on paths), so now their options are hard caps on attendance, increasing pricing, and ignoring the problem even longer. They started out with "increasing pricing" but didn't like what they did to the brand, so now they've switched back to "ignoring the problem even longer".

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Disneyland put themselves in that position by just slowly removing a lot of rides that soaked up small amounts of riders, some of them were also shut down at MK because there were factors beyond pure financial motive (the keelboats were inherently a safety risk after that capsizing, the Skyway was a bad behavior magnet though Disneyland's had the added element of stressing out the Matterhorn). All those closures of small B/C ticket attractions put a lot of people onto a park that used to have so many rides that there was very little room to move and it was expected/hoped that a good amount of people would be in the space devoted to their many queues. Then they added people "in line" for a ride without standing in those ample queues.

I don't know what MK's excuse is, there's far more unused space and management will rip out atmosphere for wider pathways when needed (hub renovation). Use an inflation calculator on prices from 15 years ago and you'll see the price has gone up tremendously as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I went to DLR for the first time in May. You're telling me it used to be filled with more 40 year old, riding a rickety cart through an incomprehensible retelling of a movie rides?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
No. They had more "ride a boat around this pond" rides and a skybucket that went through the Matterhorn that took you over the crowds. All of which soaked up some people and gave you an easy way to get across the park or over a parade. And then those rides died in the 90s as they inched toward the All D/E Ticket Park they have now.

Also those incomprehensible rides are not 40 years old, they're 65. (Car Toon Spin is almost 30, good lord.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 24, 2023

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

https://blogmickey.com/2023/12/new-zootopia-ride-closed-after-child-reportedly-jumps-from-vehicle-gets-run-over/

Holy poo poo. I imagine this will result in some changes in restraints on similar rides (It uses a lapbar like Runaway Railway and Ratatouillie)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nah, I think they'll just address training. It's a new ride for the crew, but the restraint and ride system are 23 years old. Usually these sorts of events have potentially happened before but prevented because the CMs were quick to address it.

I watched the video and there's no reason the ride should have been operating as long as it was while people were shouting and OMGing at a kid dodging cars. Either someone was not watching the cameras or the cameras have a blind spot.

EDIT: I thought the vehicles were the ones from Pooh's Hunny Hunt, but they look closer to Rise of the Resistance. Regardless there was no reason for the ride to keep operating as long as it did in the video.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 24, 2023

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Holy poo poo. I imagine this will result in some changes in restraints on similar rides (It uses a lapbar like Runaway Railway and Ratatouillie)

To be fair, the restraints on Railway always felt a bit flimsy. I have a belly, so the bar doesn't go down very far. With my kids next to me that means they don't get tucked in as much as they would if I wasn't there. And just the Tango scene is jerky enough to give me some concern. I can imagine a lap belt being added, like they have on Mater.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Roadie posted:

Disney has spent a long time underbuilding capacity compared to demand, and then spent a while ignoring that problem even more by just removing anything that would even slightly reduce foot traffic throughput (like benches on paths)

Why are all the places to sit clustered in islands like that? Aesthetics?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Nah, I think they'll just address training. It's a new ride for the crew, but the restraint and ride system are 23 years old. Usually these sorts of events have potentially happened before but prevented because the CMs were quick to address it.

I watched the video and there's no reason the ride should have been operating as long as it was while people were shouting and OMGing at a kid dodging cars. Either someone was not watching the cameras or the cameras have a blind spot.

EDIT: I thought the vehicles were the ones from Pooh's Hunny Hunt, but they look closer to Rise of the Resistance. Regardless there was no reason for the ride to keep operating as long as it did in the video.

Where are you seeing a video?

the fact that a kid was dodging cars is insane. and I'm not a huge fan of the MMRR-style lap bars, either. I slide all over the place in that ride.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Where are you seeing a video?

the fact that a kid was dodging cars is insane. and I'm not a huge fan of the MMRR-style lap bars, either. I slide all over the place in that ride.

They're on twitter but I've avoided clicking on them or sharing them. I was going to remark about how they would have to have like, 3 or 4 flat rides like this at Shanghai, but they actually don't (I got confused and thought they had a Mystic Manor but that's just Hong Kong). They do still have Pooh, which is the only other flat dark ride, but it's still shocking that they didn't have protocols for an immediate hard stop.

I do wonder if this will lead to them retrofitting ride vehicles with seatbelts. I doubt it, but definitely doesn't seem like a certainty that they don't.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I saw a video that I think is down now but it didn't show the kid getting touched by the cars, but did show him just casually strolling through the ride path while the cars veer around him. As a former ride operator, it made my heart sink.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tim Whatley posted:

Ogas should have a to go window
Oga's should be the template for a series of local bars that do a whole different themed planet in cities around the world to rake in the cash from nerds who can't travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There’s a place called Scum and Villainy in LA like that. I’ve never been but a friend of mine used to bartend there.

Of course if you’re in their area you’re not far from an Oga’s, but this one doesn’t cost $150 to visit I guess.