Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Floodkiller posted:

Joke Boat sucks

I think I'm the only person that likes Joke Boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

explosivo posted:

I set my config as per this article to get g-sync working. Specifically after enabling g-sync in the nvidia control panel you want to force V-Sync ON as a global setting, then in whatever game you're playing always turn V-Sync OFF and set the max framerate to 144.

Volte posted:

Just make sure that your monitor is set to 144hz in the Advanced Display settings in Windows and most games should be able to figure it out. You can enable the FPS display in the Steam Overlay if you want to be sure.

edit: :argh:

Phlegmish posted:

If you're using Windows 11, check your Advanced display settings. Your refresh rate should be set to 144 Hz (apologies for the screenshot being in Dutch):

After that, you should be golden. You can then turn on Steam's built-in unintrusive FPS counter to see if a particular game (console ports especially will sometimes do this) is capping your FPS by default, but I find that that's rarely an issue, and if it does happen you can usually change it in the graphics settings.
Thanks, looks like it's working!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

I think I'm the only person that likes Joke Boat

It’s good :colbert:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Floodkiller posted:

Party Pack 3 is still probably the best pack overall if you are asking for one where every game in it is good. Quiplash is classic fun improv, Guesspionage and Trivia Murder Party are both great trivia games for trivia heads and casual players (in different ways), and Tee KO is the best drawing game that Jackbox has made in my opinion. Fakin' It can't be played well online, but if you are playing in person it is still a pretty decent deception game as well.

The others might have 1-2 games that are on par or better (or fit your family/friend group better), but the rest will be mediocre to bad. For example, Party Pack 6 has Trivia Murder Party 2 which is a better update of Trivia Murder Party 1 and Push The Button is an online working version of Fakin' It that also has more going on and is very fun, but Joke Boat sucks, Role Models is meh, and Dictionarium isn't really a game.

As someone who buys and plays the jackbox games every year, I support this post. We go back to Party pack 3 very frequently and it's games are probably the most friendly to casual players and viewers to jump in and out of.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

claw game handjob posted:

Holy poo poo do not activate this without that filter and leave for the holidays

I am now the "proud" owner of such masterworks as We have Spyro at home

Call me crazy but that game actually looks kinda cute...

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

ninjoatse.cx posted:

My contribution to the ttrpg -> video game discussion is that I'm officially done with traps in video games. There are arguments about their place in ttrpgs, but it's always just as boring in video games. Oh! You spotted a trap! Now you can do the fun mechanic of clicking on a thing and making it go away. Oh! There's another trap! Do the same poo poo again. Even BG3 where there were puzzles or things you could do to block them still sucked. On subsequent playthroughs they're always worse.

Let's just not have them, or have them all be the puzzle traps that are always as interesting as the puzzle you have to figure out.

sen's fortress is good loser

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had issues playing epic store games on my couch with a gamepad, using sunshine server on my pc and moonlight client on my mac connected to the tv. The reason was that gamepads connected to my mac didn't really register on epic like they do with steam link. I tried adding alan wake 2 to steam to play it via steam link but that didn't work.

I found a solution: Install VirtualHere to share usb devices over the network: the server (not client!) goes on the machine you are using moonlight on, and the client goes on the machine you're hosting the sunshine server on.

I plugged my dualsense controller into my mac at the couch via usb, and was able to play alan wake 2 over sunshine/moonlight using that. So if anyone had the same issue I did, I hope it helps!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Buckled down the last two years to really chip away at my back log. Just checked and I only bought five games this year: armored core, lethal company, Battlebit, starship troopers extermination, and aliens dark descent.

Right now I’m playing dragons dogma and next I’ll probably do Alan wake.

Only two or three other games in the backlog, not including ones I grabbed as freebies and don’t necessarily care to play. Maybe it’s time to reward myself with a treat from the wishlist…. Nah jk… unless…

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bro if you're playing Dragon's Dogma on PC right now, don't forget to add goons as your friends so you can use their pawns for free, including my level 200 sorcerer waifu (who will tank your xp gain)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As promised, I decided to try out The Waylanders, an ostensible CRPG that I backed on Kickstarter years ago. Signs weren't looking promising, with a 48% review score on Steam, literally no one in the world currently playing it, and the last update (which misspelled words such as 'beginning' and 'month') dating from April 2022, less than three months after release.

I ended up making a human sorcerer (subclass: Celtic druid) named Phlegma (original name do not steal, though I understand if you want to name your baby daughter this). First thing I noticed is that the art style is cartoony but OK. I suspect that most of the models are slightly modified stock Unreal Engine assets, but maybe someone who is more 'in the know' can confirm. Also, despite what you might expect from the Steam updates, the English in this game is technically competent for the most part, so I assume they hired a native speaker to proofread everything. Unfortunately, this person did not do a very thorough job, meaning that every now and then you will be confronted with glaring errors:

Side note, I would have to question the usefulness of this 'thick leather armor' that leaves literally your entire torso exposed, but it does somehow have superior stats to what I had before, so I still equipped it (very NSFW due to featuring a topless female character model):

:nws:https://imgur.com/J8E0NHU:nws:

The quality of the voice acting is very variable and it's obvious that they received little direction, but honestly, not all of it is necessarily bad. The woman who voiced Nazhedja in particular has some legitimately good lines. I have to admire the sort of professionalism that would lead you to put in the effort despite it being associated with such a dubious project.

The combat is painfully generic cooldown-based MMORPG fare, I guess technically RTwP, and judging from the very limited ability trees, it doesn't get much better once you've progressed through the game.

This game is also unstable on a technical level, and at one point I had to quicksave and reload in order to be able to talk to a crucial NPC. Another time it crashed as I was trying to quicksave, and I was unable to boot it back up again without restarting my computer. That was when I wisely decided I had seen enough, but not before admiring this unique MISSING STRING TABLE ENTRY dagger:

The Waylanders does have some interesting ideas, especially the whole ancient Celtic theme (e.g. you can buy stat-boosting face paint), but unfortunately the execution is abysmal. I'd love to be able to say that this is worth playing if you can see past some of the glaring flaws, much like Black Geyser, but this is just a bad game. I doubt many people in the thread have this on their wishlist, but I give the game my official thumbs down and do not recommend that you buy it.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Phlegmish posted:

Bro if you're playing Dragon's Dogma on PC right now, don't forget to add goons as your friends so you can use their pawns for free, including my level 200 sorcerer waifu (who will tank your xp gain)

I had a bunch of friends on the friend list to do this already but none at 200. I’ll have to check it out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I am excited to do this again in Dragon's Dogma 2.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

I had a bunch of friends on the friend list to do this already but none at 200. I’ll have to check it out

Thread's over here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759580&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

There's a Steam group but I'm pretty sure it's inactive, I applied to join a while ago but haven't heard anything since:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/DogmaGoons

Feel free to add me:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/656549/

My pawn mostly uses the upgraded versions of spells, so it takes her a while to cast, but when she does get a spell off, entire continents are flattened instantly

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Can't stop playing Time Break Chronicles please send help

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

loving games journalism, I swear.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 24, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Game journalism and most mainstream gamers seem to have this weird memory block preventing them from recognizing that turn-based games not only exist but have been coming out in droves since the earliest days of videogames, it's really weird.

Battle Brothers also came out in 2017 and is one of the best turn-based RPGs of all time :colbert: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (that was like a turn-based game where turns advance themselves right?), Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga remake, a pokemon game, and a Dragon Quest game all came out that year too so it's not like there was even the slightest inkling that turn-based RPGs were a dying genre in 2017. Hell, 2016 had a Fire Emblem game, Banner Saga 2, the Mario + Rabbids game. 2015 had Undertale, the first Divinity: OS, Darkest Dungeon...

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 24, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jack Trades posted:

Didn't Persona come out in April?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

goferchan posted:

Didn't Persona come out in April?

I'm sure it's Persona 5's revival of the turn-based RPG genre that caused Larian to quickly develop DOS2 in 6 months.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Turn-based CRPGs never went away, the big innovation from Larian was not making their games look like a total piece of Infinity Engine crap so that people under the age of 45 actually wanted to play them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Well you see, in addition to inventing jazz

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

They were just futzing around with it as a lark, not even planning to release it, then they saw how well Persona was doing...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Actually, Persona 5 initially released on September 15.

2016. :smug:
(That was actually the same day D:OS 2 launched in Early Access. :ssh:)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Orv posted:

Well you see, in addition to inventing jazz

I always thought it was weird that the third game in the series had a number 5 in it's title.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hogama posted:

Actually, Persona 5 initially released on September 15.

2016. :smug:
(That was actually the same day D:OS 2 launched in Early Access. :ssh:)

Not incompatible with my idea, honestly

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

it wasn't even the most stylish persona game

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I mean, yes DOS is turn based but I think they're referring to that very specific style of olde school "your party stands in a line facing the enemy party and you rotate issuing commands" rather than like, an actual "tactics-style" grid-based, turn-based combat.

As an aside, I will say that Persona has to have one of the ugliest, busiest, function-over-form UIs I have ever seen in a game and I genuinely don't understand why it's so popular :colbert:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I mean, yes DOS is turn based but I think they're referring to that very specific style of olde school "your party stands in a line facing the enemy party and you rotate issuing commands" rather than like, an actual "tactics-style" grid-based, turn-based combat.

If they meant to write "JRPGs" they should've written "JRPGs".
I'm not a loving mindreader.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab669 posted:

But that’s not true either, the Bravely Default games were coming out around then and I’m sure there were a bunch of others.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Orv posted:

But that’s not true either, the Bravely Default games were coming out around then and I’m sure there were a bunch of others.

:shrug: Half a million sales isn't a small number, but I don't think I'd call that like a super mainstream success like Persona seems to be. Like yea, by any definition of "turn based RPG" you could find examples, but doesn't mean the genre was big.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
This discussion is already twice as long as that half-assed Kotaku article.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ok quick game rec(?):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260590/Hadean_Tactics/

what if Slay the Spire in everything except the combat itself, which is an autobattler with cards

I'm like half an hour in and enjoying

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

If they meant to write "JRPGs" they should've written "JRPGs".
I'm not a loving mindreader.

even if they did mean JRPGs the article is still just as stupid

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Didn’t dragon quest xi come out that year too

I like p5 a lot, but

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the japanese games industry was singlehandedly saved by persona 5

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
p4g > p5

I am excited for the p3 remake though, I always fall off that one when I retry it. Maybe modernizing it will help.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if they still let you romance a 10-year-old then probably not

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that was the in female protag route only, and she’s not present in the remake

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kotaku: there were basically no jrpgs until persona 5
*points to entire Atelier series*
kotaku: no not those

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The 7th Guest posted:

kotaku: there were basically no jrpgs until persona 5
*points to entire Atelier series*
kotaku: no not those

easy to understand someone forgetting little known turn based jrpg pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lets hang out posted:

easy to understand someone forgetting little known turn based jrpg pokemon
those don't count because those aren't REAL jrpgs, like the one the author likes

i'm playing Chants of Sennarr and it's really good