Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

kreeningsons posted:

Kenji’s vegetables wellington came out nicely as a vegan centerpiece again this year again. The process is overly complicated and downright stupid at times and took 5 hours of prep time the day before, but I can’t argue with the end product.

This time I made two half sized roasts, each one using a full package of phyllo dough, and they came out much closer to the size of the roast in the recipe pictures. Also they were MUCH easier to assemble and serve at half size.

I froze the second one and will be seeing how it reheats at Christmas.

The recipe is apparently based off carrots wellington at an east village restaurant. So maybe next year I will save myself the trouble and try to recreate the original one.

My SO and I are in the process of doing a slightly relaxed version of it for Christmas. We won't smoke the King Oyster mushrooms, we'll just do them in the oven with a bit of liquid smoke.

So far though, the bean mixture and the duxelle have turned out amazing. Can't wait to try the whole thing. With a partner, and with plenty of rounds of dishes to keep the kitchen organized, it's not so bad.

edit: I ended up smoking the king oysters. It was simple and the result is great, I'll need to explore that technique more.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I do a much, much simpler version.
https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-wellington/#recipe

I guess it depends on what you want in your Wellington. Only thing is getting the puff pastry to a decent temperature on the day of.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 24, 2023

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
Is there a general vegan thread for more resources and discussion in addition to recipes?

I've searched around GBS, Pets, Ask & Tell, and Minority Rapport, but I haven't found anything.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ulillinguist posted:

Is there a general vegan thread for more resources and discussion in addition to recipes?

I've searched around GBS, Pets, Ask & Tell, and Minority Rapport, but I haven't found anything.
I don't think so. There's this and that's all I know about.

Some foods:

Okra

Cumin potatoes (four like the 10th time in this thread)

Bottle gourd and potatoes

Eggplant

Bitter gourd

Cluster bean

Dal

On the left, pointed gourd. On the right, potato with fenugreek leaf

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

That all looks so good, Tycho. What are your usual sources of protein ? Just pulses, or does India have some amazing secret plant protein I've not heard of ?

Months ago, I impulse bought a tin of okra (whole, in water), and have no idea what to do with it.
I've never eaten okra before, and have no idea how tinning will've effected the texture/flavour.
Any suggestions ?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I get protein from pulses, yeah. I've never had canned okra so I'm not sure what the texture is like. I suspect at that point it's mostly/only good for putting into a soup.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That was my thinking, too. Maybe a Thai curry.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I have a bring-a-plate thing coming up for work.
I need something that I can make ahead of time and can either be eaten cold/room temp, microwaved, or done in a crockpot.
Any suggestions ?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Lady Disdain posted:

I need something that I can make ahead of time and can either be eaten cold/room temp, microwaved, or done in a crockpot.
Any suggestions ?

That covers a lot of ground! But I know you like to bake, and for a work potluck I guarantee everybody will like Philadelphia’s greatest contribution to world food culture, tomato pie. (It’s really a cheese-free room temperature pizza, and it’s terrific.)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Salad of some sort?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I can't believe I only just now learned how to make refried beans. So easy, quick and delicious.

Friendship ended with falafel wrap, now refried bean wrap is my best friend.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Now that avocados are in season, I’ve been eating a lot of avocado salad sandwiches on sourdough. Next one I eat will also have some homemade tofu on it. So dang good with sprouts.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

for fucks sake posted:

I can't believe I only just now learned how to make refried beans. So easy, quick and delicious.

Friendship ended with falafel wrap, now refried bean wrap is my best friend.

how you making em? i do mine just in onion and garlic infused oil.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Suplex Liberace posted:

how you making em? i do mine just in onion and garlic infused oil.

Fry an onion and some garlic, add the beans, some spices (cumin, smoked paprika) and some water. Let it cook a minute, then squash the beans with a wooden spoon when the water is nearly evaporated.

I served it on a wrap with tahini sauce :discourse:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some random Guardian recipes from Meera Sodha:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/dec/30/vegan-ram-don-noodles-recipe-black-garlic-leek-tenderstem-meera-sodha
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/dec/23/burnt-lime-black-pepper-tofu-vegan-recipe-meera-sodha
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/nov/25/chinese-three-treasures-soup-recipe-meera-sodha
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/nov/11/vegan-recipe-mushroom-guinness-pearl-barley-stew-meera-sodha

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Lady Disdain posted:

Any suggestions ?

My go to is generally pearl couscous salad for potlucks. It's easy, infinitely versatile, and keeps well without getting soggy (you could dress it at work if you want but it's better with a little time to sit in the dressing, even better if you can give it a few quick stirs through the morning.) You could use regular couscous but if it's a standing event that just gets messy.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Colonel J posted:

My SO and I are in the process of doing a slightly relaxed version of it for Christmas. We won't smoke the King Oyster mushrooms, we'll just do them in the oven with a bit of liquid smoke.

So far though, the bean mixture and the duxelle have turned out amazing. Can't wait to try the whole thing. With a partner, and with plenty of rounds of dishes to keep the kitchen organized, it's not so bad.

edit: I ended up smoking the king oysters. It was simple and the result is great, I'll need to explore that technique more.

hell yeah. Smoking the king oysters is the process I look forward to the most. it’s very satisfying

in other news, my frozen roast reheated pretty well after being frozen for 2.5 months. veggies got that reheated frozen vegetable quality and the flavors weren’t as punchy. 85-95% as good as a fresh one. worth it

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I made a version of this, and it was pretty bloody good.

I added carrots, broccoli stem, cauliflower greens, ginger and garlic to the stir fry. Didn't have stir fry sauce, so I used a combo of vegan oyster sauce, black bean sauce, kecap manis and sweet chili sauce. Added a cucumber to the salad, and used the same yellow onion for both elements.
... And completely forgot the pepper.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

kreeningsons posted:

hell yeah. Smoking the king oysters is the process I look forward to the most. it’s very satisfying

in other news, my frozen roast reheated pretty well after being frozen for 2.5 months. veggies got that reheated frozen vegetable quality and the flavors weren’t as punchy. 85-95% as good as a fresh one. worth it

Ours was GOOD. It makes a lot of food too which is great. We had leftovers for a while and each time I was so happy to eat it!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A few misc dishes:

Just a simple dal with sona masoori brown rice.

Stir-fried lettuce with vegetarian oyster sauce.

Bengali style radish.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't think so. There's this and that's all I know about.

Thank you! The first post was very informative with some great links.

I've become vegan as my new years resolution.

I finished consuming, throwing out, or donating nearly all of the animal flesh/eggs/milk in my kitchen in December, but I still have half a jar of honey and an opened coffee creamer with milk-derived cassein protein in it.

I also have 5 cans of coconut milk from Thailand that I just learned may use forced monkey labor to harvest coconuts. That didn't even occur to me when buying vegan milk. I feel like I have a lot to learn.

I would be very interested to know what the rest of you did when you transitioned to veganism, but I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread - I was thinking of making a general vegan thread and posting it in GBS so people could share information, resources, documentaries, and chat.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A few misc dishes:

Bengali style radish.

This looks wonderful, can you share your recipe?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ulillinguist posted:

This looks wonderful, can you share your recipe?
I can't remember exactly but I think I just heated up oil, added mustard seeds, then cumin seeds, then green chili, then sesame seeds, then the radish plus salt, and cooked until done, letting the spices bloom each time.

Some miscellaneous Bengali recipes:

https://thegastronomicbong.com/aloo-potol-er-dalna-bengali-recipe/
https://thegastronomicbong.com/indori-khopra-patties-recipe/
https://thegastronomicbong.com/tendli-bhaat-maharashtrian-recipe/
https://thegastronomicbong.com/bengali-potol-korma-parwal-korma/
https://thegastronomicbong.com/aamer-tok-dal/
https://thegastronomicbong.com/aloo-methi-baingan-sabzi/
https://thegastronomicbong.com/dum-aloo-bengali-recipe-alur-dum/
https://thegastronomicbong.com/tindora-coconut-fry-tendli-bhaji/
https://thegastronomicbong.com/bhuni-khichuri-bengali-instantpot/
https://thegastronomicbong.com/himachali-kaddu-ka-khatta/
https://thegastronomicbong.com/kacha-peper-ghonto-raw-papaya-sabzi/

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Lady Disdain posted:

I made a version of this, and it was pretty bloody good.

This looks really good. Stir fry is a great way to use leftover veg, or stuff like broccoli stems (very good!) that might otherwise get tossed.

Ulillinguist posted:

I would be very interested to know what the rest of you did when you transitioned to veganism,

I changed my diet to 80-90% vegan about 6 months ago. Efforts in the past to go 100% didn't last, but >80% is working well for me.

Here's a few things that helped me stick with it:

-Avoid the fake meat stuff, it's mostly over processed, too expensive, and honestly not that good.

-Get some cookbooks! My local library system has a ton of cookbooks, including tons of vegan stuff or vegetarian stuff that is easily adapted. There are lots of good recipes online, but being able to flip through a nice book and plan out things to make is nice. I keep track of recipes I like with any changes or notes on Google docs.

-I eat the same breakfast more or less every day: steel cut oatmeal, mixed berries (frozen), ground flax, almonds, walnuts, and a little cinnamon and sweetener. This has a nice mix of carbs, protein, and fats, and fiber, with omega3s (which can be lacking in vegan diets) coming from the flax and walnuts. It's also all stuff that will keep well for weeks, so I don't need to buy the ingredients that often. Everyone's tastes are different, but for me breakfast is the easiest meal to consistently eat vegan.

-You should probably think about supplements. All vegans need B12, and it is very likely you will need calcium as well unless you drink fortified plant milks. I also take a vegan omega 3 most days.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

We were snowed in a couple of days and weren't very prepared but still managed to eat well

Lentils and naan

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Anyone have a preferred non dairy milk? This isn’t as much for cooking but more for eating it with oatmeal/granola. Bonus points if it works in pancake batter.

I don’t like any of the soy/nut milks with added gums/stabalizers, so I have been buying Elmhurst, but it is expensive and their options are limited.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

kreeningsons posted:

Anyone have a preferred non dairy milk? This isn’t as much for cooking but more for eating it with oatmeal/granola. Bonus points if it works in pancake batter.

I don’t like any of the soy/nut milks with added gums/stabalizers, so I have been buying Elmhurst, but it is expensive and their options are limited.

Oat milk is the best if you still want it to taste like milk. Soy is probably the most accessible but the flavour can vary wildly between brands so might take a few before you hit one that works for you. Some people like almond milk but that can be fairly personal.

All of them should work fine in pancake batter. When I volunteered at the vegan kitchen we just used soy milk and baking powder + commercial stick blender (mixing up kilos of flour by hand is a bit rough) to make a batter that made great pancakes. Eggs / egg substitutes are completely unnecessary.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I made some rajma masala the other night.

Dessert was a chilli and chocolate brownie with biscoff icecream, all home-made.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Fall Dog posted:

Dessert was a chilli and chocolate brownie with biscoff icecream, all home-made.

This is simply outstanding looking, I don't even care for sweets and I'm still :eyepop:

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

angerbot posted:

This is simply outstanding looking, I don't even care for sweets and I'm still :eyepop:

Thanks! My partner made it all. I had to get a bit creative with the angles, because it was inside a bowl.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

IME commercial soy milk or almond milk doesn’t work as well for pancakes compared to cow milk, not sure what it is. They have different physical properties (different protein content, sugar content, and any texture modifiers in the plant milk). So just a drop in replacement may not work, you may want to look for a vegan recipe to start with.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Eeyo posted:

IME commercial soy milk or almond milk doesn’t work as well for pancakes compared to cow milk, not sure what it is. They have different physical properties (different protein content, sugar content, and any texture modifiers in the plant milk). So just a drop in replacement may not work, you may want to look for a vegan recipe to start with.

Yes this is correct more often than not when dealing with vegan baking. Drop in vegan replacements often lead to disappointment. My go to pancake recipe is from the book Vegan With A Vengeance, so it’s already been perfected.

After some research, Trader Joe’s offers a two-ingredient soy milk, just soybeans and water. I wish it was fortified, but at least it doesn’t have added gums and thickeners. So I will be trying this.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

there is a brand that you can find in grocery stores that is soy beans + water as well but i am completely blanking on the name

my goto is costco almond milk

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
TJ's (trader Joe's) soymilk is the only budget, and taste acceptable solution soymilk I've seen work for anything I make as well. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's a US brand as it's an Aldi owned chain. Westwood has similar but about 2x the price.

I use it for every recipe that needs a milk, and have zero issues with baking with it.

For cashews, azure standard (us only I think?) has bulk raw cashews at a great price for making cashew cream.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I use the aldi stuff which is like 50p a carton, and I've never had a problem with it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

angerbot posted:

My go to is generally pearl couscous salad for potlucks. It's easy, infinitely versatile, and keeps well without getting soggy (you could dress it at work if you want but it's better with a little time to sit in the dressing, even better if you can give it a few quick stirs through the morning.) You could use regular couscous but if it's a standing event that just gets messy.

I have decided to do this, thanks. Do you have a particular recipe you'd recommend, before I go and wing it ?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Is the aldi stuff in Europe different from in the US? In the US we have half gallon cartons in the fridge that are pretty much like silk (the brand).

notwithoutmyanus posted:

TJ's (trader Joe's) soymilk is the only budget, and taste acceptable solution soymilk I've seen work for anything I make as well. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's a US brand as it's an Aldi owned chain. Westwood has similar but about 2x the price.

I use it for every recipe that needs a milk, and have zero issues with baking with it.

For cashews, azure standard (us only I think?) has bulk raw cashews at a great price for making cashew cream.

I'm going to split hairs here that don't really need splitting, but I cannot resist. Aldi is a German brand originally, but they split into Aldi north and Aldi south. Aldi south owns all the Aldi stores in the US and Aldi north owns Trader Joes. So Trader Joes is an Aldi brand, but it's distinct from the Aldi stores in the US since it's associated with the other Aldi chain in Germany.

That being said I should check out their soymilk.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

They have stuff in the fridge, but their shelf stable stuff is fine and probably basically the same. That's what I meant, because I forget the fridge stuff even exists.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I have had great success dropping in coconut milk in place of cow milk. Even in baking. Just have to be smart and not put it in scrambled eggs or what have you.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Lady Disdain posted:

I have decided to do this, thanks. Do you have a particular recipe you'd recommend, before I go and wing it ?

I usually wing it. Veg quality is important and fresh herbs work best.

https://plantbasedonabudget.com/israeli-couscous-salad/ covers the basics of what I usually do (I think toasting the couscous is important) although you can use whatever veg you've got, add some vegan feta/cheese if you like.

These salads often skew mediterranean but I've made a vegan wedding pilaf pearl couscous salad (raisins/dates, toasted almonds/pistachio, etc. with spices of choice.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Eeyo posted:

Is the aldi stuff in Europe different from in the US? In the US we have half gallon cartons in the fridge that are pretty much like silk (the brand).

I'm going to split hairs here that don't really need splitting, but I cannot resist. Aldi is a German brand originally, but they split into Aldi north and Aldi south. Aldi south owns all the Aldi stores in the US and Aldi north owns Trader Joes. So Trader Joes is an Aldi brand, but it's distinct from the Aldi stores in the US since it's associated with the other Aldi chain in Germany.

That being said I should check out their soymilk.

Ha. I didn't know about the Aldi ownership split in such a fashion when it came to TJ's. The only notable part to me was the same as mentioned by kreeningsons: no added salt/sugar (and also vanilla), unlike most vegan milks in the US - including from silk, where this is difficult to find at minimum. We're pretty keen to avoid buying things that include sugar/salt/oil when alternatives exist and would rather employ those into the things we choose to make instead of having it added without our control, because it screws up recipes. Much closer to forks over knives concept. Considering I've only shopped at them in the US, I don't know.

To contribute to thread in other ways:

Likewise we've gotten into making a ton of stuff with thai rice wraps lately of various shapes and sizes (medium/large rounded and square0, and it's been a hit for my daughter as well as giving her a creative salad option + fast prep. Seeing as it's very hands on and she can make it herself, that also works. It has resulted in her wanting to make a bunch of em with fruit too, which is fun.

Often we've done:
pick any veggies - often I'll julienne carrots & green onions or use a julienne peeler to fit better
+ baked tofu
+ sometimes avocado
+ cilantro
+ peanut sauce (everyone has their own take on the savory + sweet combo)

Daughter likes to also do:
pb
banana
+any other fruit available and on hand