Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

Which one did they get?

this guy

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Movie...124&sr=8-1&th=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gotcha. That’s cool. Yeah if they found the minus one by some chance they would be flabbergasted lol

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Went to see it again at Alamo, much better audience behavior and I got to pick a good seat and chow down on a nice healthy Cobb salad with a comfy seat too

(There was one old geezer who started snoring but Alamo staff woke him up, he elected to finish nap in lobby)

Also got to take notice of stuff I missed in first watch, like black mark on Noriko's neck, details on the Local Fighter Shinden, map fight (some ships weren't sunk!), toy that Akiko was holding made out of felt as many toys were at the time, others..

Interesting that in both Minus One and Monarch, the US chose to nuke Godzilla at Bikini Atoll.

Different stuff goes on after the blast, though.. in MLOM it sounds like Godzilla just.. shook it off and went about his business?

But in -1 it's responsible for making him notably bigger and meaner, and he decides to go after Japan as a result..

Or was Bikini an accident in the -1 universe? It's not made clear unless that's something else I missed..

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it was an accident.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The bombing was on purpose but presumably the Americans didn’t know there was a Godzilla there, since it was only known about by the locals.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah between Godzilla being way more aquatic and his relatively small size pre-nuke he was probably just swimming nearby when he got hit and not noticed

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oppenheimer: remember when I came to you with those calculations? we thought if we nuked a lizard it would become big. big and really cool.
einstein: I remember well
oppenheimer: I think we did
einstein: yea no poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

The bombing was on purpose but presumably the Americans didn’t know there was a Godzilla there, since it was only known about by the locals.

I mean yeah Operation Crossroads was absolutely on purpose but that purpose was nuclear testing not "oh poo poo there's a dinosaur on this tiny island drop an Atom Bomb on it."

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this was my first japanese godzilla movie since god, i think godzilla 2000 and godzilla 84 before that. i enjoyed this a lot. probably my favorite movie this year. i pogged irl when they succeeded in tricking godzilla into swallowing the sea mine only to regenerate immediately after. also the Takao was a really fun easter egg. i also loved the minesweeper crew that koichi worked with, i thought they were all fleshed out really well instead of being typical one dimensional character fodder. i thought dr. noda and captain hota especially shone too. it sounds like i should check out shin godzilla next?

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
The core Godzilla kind of needs to be an accident, so for Minus One, whoops, there was at least one of an an angry giant amphibious species that survived that meteor gimmick 65 million years ago and it got caught in the test of the big kill device we made, but the device did the opposite of killing it :(

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 23, 2023

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

STONE COLD 64 posted:

this was my first japanese godzilla movie since god, i think godzilla 2000 and godzilla 84 before that. i enjoyed this a lot. probably my favorite movie this year. i pogged irl when they succeeded in tricking godzilla into swallowing the sea mine only to regenerate immediately after. also the Takao was a really fun easter egg. i also loved the minesweeper crew that koichi worked with, i thought they were all fleshed out really well instead of being typical one dimensional character fodder. i thought dr. noda and captain hota especially shone too. it sounds like i should check out shin godzilla next?

yes, definitely

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Did a consecutive watch of my three favourite Heisei era ones this week, Return..., Biollante and Destoroyah, it's amusing to me I inadvertently wound up with a fairly decent "Super X" trilogy. Took 'em three goes to get it right, but they got there in the end I guess. A Super X that doesn't look like poo poo, isn't entirely useless and doesn't get exploded.

I'm incredibly happy Biollante and Destoroyah sit in their own little special place, never revisited, not even in Final Wars. They're all hosed up and weird and I love 'em.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's kinda fun that it seems like Godzilla fans pretty much universally think the three best Godzilla movies are original, Shin, and Minus One, but it's incredibly unlikely you'd get two people to agree on what the fourth and fifth best Godzilla movies are.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gripweed posted:

It's kinda fun that it seems like Godzilla fans pretty much universally think the three best Godzilla movies are original, Shin, and Minus One, but it's incredibly unlikely you'd get two people to agree on what the fourth and fifth best Godzilla movies are.

Destoroyah

...maybe VS Mothra?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Desumaytah posted:

The core Godzilla kind of needs to be an accident, so for Minus One, whoops, there was at least one of an an angry giant amphibious species that survived that meteor gimmick 65 million years ago and it got caught in the test of the big kill device we made, but the device did the opposite of killing it :(

There was an old Japanese magazine about Godzilla that theorized that there were multiple Godzillas (think Godzillasaurus before that existed) that was amphibious and living their lives when the Bikini Atoll bombs happened and created Godzilla Proper)- it claimed that G's horrific skin was actually scar tissue and the atomic breath was also a result.

Remember that Bikini Atoll was populated in real life and that America, in its hubris and colonial might, moved everyone that lived there to other places to destroy it.

Just remember that America is a horrific colonizer empire and are the bad guys.

And Japan was also an imperialist horror show and were ALSO bad guys.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Watched Kong: Skull Island in my quest to catch up on the monsterverse. Totally kick rear end, no notes. It rules.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

A few years back when I worked in an office full of court reporters, I had my desk decked out full of Godzillas and one of the court reporters who was well into her 70s asked me what they were. She just plum never heard of Godzilla. I just couldn't fathom.

I put a Creature From The Black Lagoon figure on my desk and my boss (in her 50s) had no idea what it was. It completely blew my mind.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Vinylshadow posted:

Destoroyah

...maybe VS Mothra?

Destoroyah's connection to the original is pretty palpable, I'd personally chuck in Return of... for the same reason, but that's just me. I know it's very flawed in terms of shaky visual design that feels WORSE than 54 (absolutely useless looking Godzilla, both the suit and the wobbly animatronics) and funky pacing that regularly drags upon stuff like the non-tension soviet missile. At the same time, it's very comfy and I really love the world building of everybody IMMEDIATELY taking the threat seriously and them having prepared countermeasures. Even if said countermeasure is... A bit poo poo, let's be honest.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Henker posted:

I put a Creature From The Black Lagoon figure on my desk and my boss (in her 50s) had no idea what it was. It completely blew my mind.

it's the fish guy from the shape of water

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

holefoods posted:

Watched Kong: Skull Island in my quest to catch up on the monsterverse. Totally kick rear end, no notes. It rules.

it fuckin rocks

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Gripweed posted:

G'14 is probably the best modern Hollywood treatment we could have hoped for and is a really drat good film in its own right, despite some built-in studio mandated flaws.

(I enjoy KOTM more because of big budget Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan and it having the single best score of any giant monster movie ever. I can't pretend it's a better film, though.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Binary Badger posted:

Interesting that in both Minus One and Monarch, the US chose to nuke Godzilla at Bikini Atoll.

Different stuff goes on after the blast, though.. in MLOM it sounds like Godzilla just.. shook it off and went about his business?

I'm not entirely sure if it's deliberate or a quirk of the CGI being flexible for what fits the scene but Legendary Godzilla is twice as big post-Bikini Atoll blast as pre.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Terror of Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs Hedorah.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Terror of Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs Hedorah.

Close! It's actually Godzilla vs Hedorah and Final Wars

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I liked Minus One quite a bit but I don’t think it cracks my top 5 tbh. Shin might though.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Desumaytah posted:

G'14 is probably the best modern Hollywood treatment we could have hoped for and is a really drat good film in its own right, despite some built-in studio mandated flaws.

(I enjoy KOTM more because of big budget Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan and it having the single best score of any giant monster movie ever. I can't pretend it's a better film, though.)

I didn't much like KOTM, but holy poo poo, was it worth it for hearing Bear McCreary doing such a hardcore, massive version of Ifukube's main theme. His new Rodan theme absolutely SLAYS too.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Desumaytah posted:

I initially wasn't keen on the Minus One design because of the short snout and large eyes. I thought it made him look too cute. I thought he looked like Godzilla as a Disney princess' animal sidekick. I was wrong. Those large eyes are explicitly only angry eyes. That short snout is still the size of a house. This is the hubris of man.

I mean, Heisei Godzilla had the mouth of a goddamn housecat. It was just very big.

Godzilla is big, I have decided.

the eyes as its chasing the boats are great. What I think its good about it is that its very angry on this big monster, but it has that light of intelligence on it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Godzilla Show still isn’t good, but it finally gets to its Surf Dracula moment in Episode 7 of 10.

I don’t know whether it’s worth preserving an actually-well-executed Shyamalan twist, or if ‘spoiling’ it outright might make the rest of the show slightly less boring, so use your discretion: all the flashbacks to the lighthearted 1950s love triangle are actually the villain’s backstory, and action hero Kurt Russell is some kinda anti-kaiju fascist plotting to Destroy All Monsters. So that’s what the story is actually about! Yay!

Of course the problem here is, as someone mentioned earlier, that the Monarch organization are made into just a bunch of well-meaning shitlibs by comparison (while they further scrub their CIA origins from the franchise canon).

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Desumaytah posted:

My friend, there is a Columbia Pictures movie from 1957 called "The Giant Claw." It's 72 minutes long. If you haven't heard of it, please go into it blind.

Finally got to this, top notch stupid poo poo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, that's part of what I really dig about Shin Godzilla. Everyone is thrown into this absurd situation that they all take absolutely seriously. There's a younger go-getter bureaucrat who is the main character, but it's still the entire system that works together. Kinda feels the opposite of the US Godzilla movies I've watched where it's so intensly focused on the hero and their journey to do whatever heroic thing.

Yeah this is what I responded to with Shin and what I responded to with Minus One. This general theme of community collaborating despite great losses to win. It's a mature way to tell a story that rings truer.

These two, and the 2014 amd 90s US Godzilla movies which I both didn't like are the only Godzilla movies I've seen completely. I'm gonna see the original Godzilla next but are there any others that have that kinda maturity going on? Not really interested in anything campy.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Godzilla vs Biollante

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I watched Godzilla Minus One finally and found it excellent. Thinking about how it relates Godzilla to the naval mines by having the plan to give him a wicked case of the bends kill him start off by catching him on a cable between two boats.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Shageletic posted:

Yeah this is what I responded to with Shin and what I responded to with Minus One. This general theme of community collaborating despite great losses to win. It's a mature way to tell a story that rings truer.

These two, and the 2014 amd 90s US Godzilla movies which I both didn't like are the only Godzilla movies I've seen completely. I'm gonna see the original Godzilla next but are there any others that have that kinda maturity going on? Not really interested in anything campy.

Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah is a good one. It does have the silly thing so many movies do of snatching from better sources, in this case, Aliens, but at the same time, lot of weight to it.

Edit; maybe do as I did and go Return of Godzilla/Biollante/Destoroyah. They all have campy touches, but for the most part, decent stories, largely taken seriously. Except for the loving comic relief tramp in Return... whose response to coming face to face with a giant city stomping lizard is to heckle it like a prick. And all three versions of the Super X.

MuddyFunster fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 24, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/pyrameadhead/status/1738642648200614046?t=SlXpvC9BIV_1AW1yy-9q2w&s=19

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Going back thru the thread and quoting this to find later.

site posted:

the thing you need to know going in is that besides these 3, all of them are various levels of silly, and i don't just mean the effects. the plots get absolutely bonkers pretty quick. that said

'64 ghidorah
invasion of astro monster
destroy all monsters
vs megalon (for the one scene, you know the one)

'91 vs king ghidorah
'93 vs mechgodzilla 2
'95 vs destoroyah

FINAL WARS

MuddyFunster posted:

Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah is a good one. It does have the silly thing so many movies do of snatching from better sources, in this case, Aliens, but at the same time, lot of weight to it.

Edit; maybe do as I did and go Return of Godzilla/Biollante/Destoroyah. They all have campy touches, but for the most part, decent stories, largely taken seriously. Except for the loving comic relief tramp in Return... whose response to coming face to face with a giant city stomping lizard is to heckle it like a prick. And all three versions of the Super X.

Cheers! Thanks for this. Anyone happen to know the best streaming service for these flicks?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Shageletic posted:

Going back thru the thread and quoting this to find later.
Cheers! Thanks for this. Anyone happen to know the best streaming service for these flicks?

imo for biollante and the other heisei films archive dot org is gonna be your best bet

tubi has all the classic showa godzillas, free with ads and some dub/sub options
hbo max has some showa films, not sure the subbed/dubbed status
pluto tv plays godzilla films "live" and with commercials, so you might just happen to catch one you want.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Plex also is good for a free option that doesn’t have ads.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm so glad I got the Biolante blu-ray for $8 over a decade ago.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm so glad I got the Biolante blu-ray for $8 over a decade ago.

such a weird time when echo bridge was selling biollante in a dvd pack with like, dinocroc and some other crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just went for a Christmas Eve morning matinee for Minus One. Third time it still hits hard.