Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

That is functionally impossible to deflect the entire 9-hit string.

That attack typically goes: 2 attacks, pause, 2 attacks, then immediately a 5 hit flurry.

The first 4 attacks are easy to deflect. You can even fit in a thrust attack during that pause.

The issue is that by the time the 5th attack of the flurry comes out, your deflect window has narrowed so far that you need to be frame perfect.

There are two common ways of dealing with it. The first is to deflect the first 2, then dodge away and space out the remaining 7 attacks.

Another way I like to do now is to deflect the first 4, then iframe dodge forward right past his shoulder, which causes the remaining 5 attacks to fail to track you at all. It also lets you get thrust attacks into his body as a punishment.

I figured this was it, I've lucked into it once or twice and all, but it's significantly more common for the failed deflect to posture break me and then the last hit kills from what was previously full health.

I'm remarkably bad at being willing to dodge out of strings like that, so it's something to improve on. Appreciate the feedback!

e: first gauntlet attempt where i actually made it back to inner genichiro after you shared that he fell over, it worked like a charm, lmao

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I usually deflect 2 initial hits of Genichiro's flurry, backstep and then deflect the last hit that ends in a sword clash for extra posture dmg

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Lmao that I have to fight Genichiro before Isshin every single time. Like let’s throw a boss in front of the repetition of learning an incredibly hard boss.

Ayyyyyyyy killed Sword Saint my 8th attempt. :)

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 24, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Lmao that I have to fight Genichiro before Isshin every single time. Like let’s throw a boss in front of the repetition of learning an incredibly hard boss.

oh wow that fight took me more than a day :eyepop:

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

It is functionally impossible to deflect the entire 9-hit string.

That attack typically goes: 2 attacks, pause, 2 attacks, then a 4 hit flurry, then a finisher.

The first 4 attacks are easy to deflect. You can even fit in a thrust attack during that pause.

The issue is that by the time the 4th attack of the flurry comes out, your deflect window has narrowed so far that you need to be frame perfect.

There are two common ways of dealing with it. The first is to deflect the first 2, then dodge away and space out the remaining 6 attacks, and then deflect the final.

Another way I like to do now is to deflect the first 4, then iframe dodge forward right past his shoulder, which causes the remaining 5 attacks to fail to track you at all. It also lets you get thrust attacks into his back as a punishment.

I edited this post to clarify a better way of dealing with this attack.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Well done, Sekiro

(also Genichiro actually kinda helps by restoring some of your res meter before the main event starts)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

No Dignity posted:

Well done, Sekiro

(also Genichiro actually kinda helps by restoring some of your res meter before the main event starts)

I ended up kind of appreciating it as a break from repeatedly running my head into the boss and it also makes you repeat the skills you’re going to need. Felt good to be able to consider him just a first phase of the boss instead of the boss who made me almost quit earlier in the game

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Wamsutta posted:

Congrats! Sounds like dad 1 was your toughest challenge? Any advice to the new folks?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Oscar Wild posted:

Congrats! Sounds like dad 1 was your toughest challenge? Any advice to the new folks?

Yeah Dad 1 probably was the toughest. I think advice with this game is hard because aside from specific shinobi tools shining on a given fight, it for the most part really is a game where you win by gitting gud. They don’t give you other avenues to get around a hard boss; no builds to change, no OP weapon to leverage, no summons etc. So I guess my advice is that when you read people saying things will eventually click if you’re persistent, believe them. :)

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Wamsutta posted:

Congratulations!

Now do NG+ for the absolute rush of power destroying cutscene Genichiro at the start.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Wamsutta posted:

Yeah Dad 1 probably was the toughest. I think advice with this game is hard because aside from specific shinobi tools shining on a given fight, it for the most part really is a game where you win by gitting gud. They don’t give you other avenues to get around a hard boss; no builds to change, no OP weapon to leverage, no summons etc. So I guess my advice is that when you read people saying things will eventually click if you’re persistent, believe them. :)

:yeah:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey this game owns?? I'm still very early on but digging this a lot. It's just nuTenchu and I had no idea how much I wanted that until now. Or, as much as I love Nioh, it feels like Nioh without all of the extraneous bullshit which is also cool. I got my rear end kicked by the first boss until I got the tutorials which I went through and killed him the first try after that, I really like having actual tutorials about mechanics like that in the game. Had to stop for the night when I ran into the two shield guys because I couldn't figure out how to kill them :dumb:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Shield guys have a specific prosthetic add-on that mostly exists to smash shields real good, idk if you have Hirata Estate access right now though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh cool, the shoe's on the other foot and I get to watch someone else explore the game for the first time!

Re: Shield dudes, the very hard way is to bait them into an attack and masterfully parry it, breaking their poise for a deathblow. That's also not really practical advice for when you first encounter them. Alternatively, if you somehow got behind them when they're unaware, they're backstab-able just as everyone else is. The kicking-rad way of doing it, which the game has been dropping nearby hints about, is to listen to the people talking about this nearby axe thing, find, build & equip a new prosthetic then go ruin their day. This, and the absolutely terrifying miniboss you'll next face in the Hinata Estate, is the game browbeating you about using the right technique for the right job.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Beat dad. Was sad it was over, was a great fight and wanted more.

edit: Well gently caress, I just checked the wiki and it turns out I've missed two prayer beads. One of them is aboslutely the one in the 'attic' above where you first meet the tengu - I distinctly recall grappling around up there but not finding anything of note. I'm locked out of that area forever now, right? So it's a NG+ thing? The other bead I have no goddamn idea, I've run down the list and feel that I got all of those. Fark, how annoying.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 26, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lmao.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The one that I almost miss, every time, is the red eyes Jinsuke Saze clone during Ashina Castle Ablaze who’s at the shrine directly below Isshin’s normal relaxing place.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Serephina posted:

Beat dad. Was sad it was over, was a great fight and wanted more.

edit: Well gently caress, I just checked the wiki and it turns out I've missed two prayer beads. One of them is aboslutely the one in the 'attic' above where you first meet the tengu - I distinctly recall grappling around up there but not finding anything of note. I'm locked out of that area forever now, right? So it's a NG+ thing? The other bead I have no goddamn idea, I've run down the list and feel that I got all of those. Fark, how annoying.

Nah you can get to the tengu attic. There might be a boss in the way though

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
There's also more bonus dad fight content, if you have the courage to unlock it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Zwingley posted:

Nah you can get to the tengu attic. There might be a boss in the way though

Yup cheers that was it. Now I just gotta go find the missing bead from the other 39...

Some complaints: Not a fan of the fireboi fight. Wasn't terrible, but kind of a letdown compared to the parry dancing that just came before it. Also really annoyed how we're still having camera issues in a game released in 2021, of all bloody things. I thought we'd have fixed that by now, but no, sometimes the game decides you don't get to see what's going on and can just die, ugh. Not just the fireboi fight, but I'm now doing reflections of courage, and there's a few fights in there that are quite bad about it. Also really enjoy the Fromsoft QoL of not having a 'retry?' button and having to go through two loading screens plus a bunch of menus every time you die in a reflection fight, double-ugh.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Serephina posted:

I thought we'd have fixed that by now, but no, sometimes the game decides you don't get to see what's going on and can just die, ugh.

I get less annoyed with the technical difficulty of swinging a camera around an environment to track a character than I do with From's (highly praised, for some reason) many intentional "you can't turn your neck and that's the boss" camera fights. The lack of those is yet another reason I really love Sekiro.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Finally got to Guardian Ape, beat him on my second try (or so I thought) and was all "that wasnt so bad? hmm wonder why I keep reading what a nightmare he is in the threa----- oh godFUCK"

I'll go work on another area for now :v:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Mr.Acula posted:

Finally got to Guardian Ape, beat him on my second try (or so I thought) and was all "that wasnt so bad? hmm wonder why I keep reading what a nightmare he is in the threa----- oh godFUCK"

Nah round 2 is easy. Like 3 moves, a lot of them miss you if you even walk away from the dive. Learn the terror yell and it's easy

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Practicing the thread's favorite boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_-iw2dEVys

He's still a bastard after many years.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Why the choice of whirlwind - does it let you start the combat art when facing the wrong way?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I hadn't really thought about that. This is a fresh save so my options for combat arts are pretty limited. It probably isn't very good compared to other arts but it's guaranteed health damage after a dodge.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I like how Lightning Jerry Nacho is WAY easier than regular Jerry Nacho.

Bro, that incoming Mikiri Counter he opens with is so telegraphed, you have time to make a cup of tea before hitting Circle.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Mr.Acula posted:

:allears:

There's a trick for his second phase that makes things a lot easier. When you block his sword strikes, he'll rear up for a big "overhead" chop and if you parry that, he'll be open for a nice long recovery period.

You can give him a few sword strokes, but if you use the spear tool it'll do massive posture damage and result in a fun surprise...

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

HaB posted:

I like how Lightning Jerry Nacho is WAY easier than regular Jerry Nacho.

Bro, that incoming Mikiri Counter he opens with is so telegraphed, you have time to make a cup of tea before hitting Circle.

like the biggest risk from it is hitting the inputs way too early

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Good old thrust, nothing beats thrust

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

No Dignity posted:

Good old thrust, nothing beats thrust

I know one thing...

https://youtu.be/4Gr67IJiZaY?si=q0F1C-5DbETtD40V

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Didn't think a thread would still be active on this game so didn't look, but after going DS1 -> Elden Ring for 500 hours -> DS3 -> DS2 I've decided it's time to punch that last tab on my gamer card. I've been detailing it so far in the CSPAM gaming thread but I'm up to Genichiro in the real world and Lady Butterfly in the past, going very slow and crawling over everything both because it's what I do in games and to truly get the new rules of combat into my muscle memory. Unlike every other game I'm going into this somewhat spoiled since a streamer I like loves it and plays it somewhat often, but it's surprising just how little is spoiled watching someone go through the game for the 20th time. Some thoughts so far:

- seven spears moonlight tower guy, loving rear end in a top hat

- blender in a closet starting room guy who attacks the concept of vision and lock-on as well as your vitality, loving rear end in a top hat

- bull, huge sword drunk guy, ogre, first try, fun fights (because they're Souls fights and I'm good at those by now)

- General guy before Ashina castle gates, didn't expect him to kick my rear end quite so much

- Ended up getting the axe, getting it fitted, and immediately got distracted and got to what is for now the end of Senpou which was quite the challenge

- Su'un was the Most Sekiro boss beaten for awhile until the Ashina Elite before Genichiro, which was a good mix of frustrating and fun and made me feel like I was learning stuff before immediately being brutally corrected

- Leading cause of satisfying victory: Mikiri Counter

- Leading cause of humiliating defeat: Mikiri Counter

- Still experimenting with prosthetics but it's been hard to improve on firecrackers/axe/shuriken for coverage. Shuriken I'll swap out for something more specialized but it's rare that the first two don't feel like the best use of resource limited attacks

- I'm mashing attack buttons and dodging too much still, it's really hard to unlearn and really punishes you in this. Staggers are less reliable and there's nothing in between deathblow and zero posture like a riposte so just blitzing stuff down with overwhelming force isn't going to be a thing for a long while, if ever, I suspect

I'm a huge hammer caveman purist and every game I play I go whole hog on strength, vitality, and endurance. I was expecting this to cause me a lot of grief but double ichi and the shinobi axe fuckin rock. Not sure why I expected posture destroying stuff to suck in Attack Posture Bars: The Game

I'm probably going to die to Genichiro as many times as I did Malenia if not more, that's normal right?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I don't think anything in Sekiro is actually as hard as Malenia; people joke about Malenia being a Sekiro boss they put into Elden Ring but the key difference in Sekiro is that you have the tools to deal with bosses like that. Waterfowl dance is a nightmare death blender in ER but it would be a pretty standard "find the deflection rhythm" attack in Sekiro.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Didn't think a thread would still be active on this game so didn't look, but after going DS1 -> Elden Ring for 500 hours -> DS3 -> DS2 I've decided it's time to punch that last tab on my gamer card. I've been detailing it so far in the CSPAM gaming thread but I'm up to Genichiro in the real world and Lady Butterfly in the past, going very slow and crawling over everything both because it's what I do in games and to truly get the new rules of combat into my muscle memory. Unlike every other game I'm going into this somewhat spoiled since a streamer I like loves it and plays it somewhat often, but it's surprising just how little is spoiled watching someone go through the game for the 20th time. Some thoughts so far:

- seven spears moonlight tower guy, loving rear end in a top hat

- blender in a closet starting room guy who attacks the concept of vision and lock-on as well as your vitality, loving rear end in a top hat

- bull, huge sword drunk guy, ogre, first try, fun fights (because they're Souls fights and I'm good at those by now)

(...)

I'm probably going to die to Genichiro as many times as I did Malenia if not more, that's normal right?

Genichiro was a pushover to me but my roadblock was the fat drunk guy you cleared on the first try. I think it depends on where you are in terms of hp/damage upgrades too. Iirc I think I fought the drunkard before I even got to the ogre so I was lacking.

As the poster above said, attacks like waterfowl are awful in DS style games but in Sekiro its the exact opposite because once you know the rhythm its a ton of free posture damage. Genichiro has at least one attack like that.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The fat guys still give me trouble because I have trouble seeing where they actually connect/when the parry timing hits. Good thing that alcohol is inflamable

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Waterfowl wasn't really even my biggest hurdle with Malenia, trying to take her down with lightning spears that seemed to bait it out so much that I ended up dealing with it 8-10 times per attempt did the trick. My biggest problem was impatience and greed and also the lunging swipes attack that got me every single time. I think the only time I ever actually enjoyed that fight was when I was doing an incant run and the setup I settled on had her dead in under 90 seconds from touching the fog wall.

With Genirchiro it's the annoying arrow barrage that I've resigned myself to getting hit a bunch by every time but maybe I'll get a feel for it. My actual biggest problem I suspect is that I got to him with only one attack power and two vitality upgrades. I went back to explore everything more thoroughly and I'm a good bit beefier now

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
One thing is to attack between enemy combos once you know them. For the most part the worst theyll do is block and riposte, and you can block the riposte. And youre dealing hp damage as well, which makes their posture go down faster.

This game very much rewards just being in the enemies' faces and forcing a reaction.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
If by genichiro's arrow barrage you mean the one where he jumps into the air, just huck a shuriken at him. The timing is a little tight in that if you're too quick he won't care, but you can knock him out of the air immediately or at worst after an arrow or two have come out

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Genichiro has a few arrow barrages, but the one you really need to watch out for is technically a counterattack after deflecting your aggression, but doesn't look like it at all: After mashing attack at him until the orange deflect sparks come up, he has a variety different counterattacks. Two of them are "step back, then do nothing" and "step back, fake out doing nothing, then do a tiny hop in the air and mash you with four arrows". He can do that hop normally from a neutral pose, so it actually took me forever to realise why sometimes I'd deflect or dodge it just fine, and other times it'd come out SO drat FAST that I was a goner. The counterattack version has the arrows come out much faster than you can react, so apply a little discipline and don't commit to a bad animation if it looks like he's trying to make space after a deflection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

la di da it's me mr tiny soldier, about to lead my troops into a place called GUN FORT, surely now we can be lackadaisical in our preparations, dumb hats and swords should be FINE

edit - I just no-hit some purple robe guy on the attempt I beat him at last, holy smokes that felt incredible.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 4, 2024