Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A reminder: 'tis the season to play Parasite Eve, the iconic Christmas game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM2cBVf9XJs

It wasn't until this year that I learned Eve wasn't referring to Christmas Eve in the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The voice lines in this... the memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNqJb5LHXuA

"must've been a good boy" "sorry pal"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

It wasn't until this year that I learned Eve wasn't referring to Christmas Eve in the title.

It's referring to Eve online

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

finally managed to get another ascension heart kill in StS, got outer wilds loaded up to play for the very first time tomorrow, and we got a literal last possible second dump of snow just in time for christmas eve. life is pretty cool sometimes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
whaaaaaaaat? what what what????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxDX6WvpfV4&hd=1

she looks so good! god drat

and that theme, too!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

really funny joke, be a shame if you put it in a gacha game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
literally that joke gacha game that jim sterling used to show on his videos all the time where it'd just be various "qualities" of garbage broken up by games of Snake

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

China just passed a lot of regulations banning certain scummy gacha practices and Tencent's value went down like 50 billion dollars overnight

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Waffleman_ posted:

China just passed a lot of regulations banning certain scummy gacha practices and Tencent's value went down like 50 billion dollars overnight

Lol. Sorry folks, but gacha needs to be banned

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gacha bitch!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://videogames.si.com/news/china-gacha-game-crackdown

Okay, so they were just proposed and not passed, but still based

The proposed regulations include banning incentives for daily logins or buying premium currency with real money for the first time, and one proposed rule would force lootbox/gacha games to allow an option to directly buy the content at a comparable price.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
while it would be nice if they passed, the presence of mihoyo alone gives me reason to doubt it

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Waffleman_ posted:

The proposed regulations include banning incentives for daily logins or buying premium currency with real money for the first time, and one proposed rule would force lootbox/gacha games to allow an option to directly buy the content at a comparable price.

Those are very good ideas, so of course video game companies will not want them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

seems like a good time to buy tencent stock more than anything

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

die! dieeeeeee!!!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

die! dieeeeeee!!!!!
is that addressed at the regulations or the gacha games?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wouldn't expect anything to come of those gacha regulations, but it would be super nice if it did.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm back in swtor for the double xp event. I'll probably play this until its over and then pop back onto BG 3

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mystes posted:

is that addressed at the regulations or the gacha games?
100% to gacha games

it won't happen but my hatred can still burn

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Feldegast42 posted:

Lol. Sorry folks, but gacha needs to be banned

As someone who plays gacha I 100% agree, no need to be sorry.

The "obtain gacha stuff by paying directly" is absolute lol given how gacha games generally value the gacha stuff. (Hint: it's way loving expensive)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've paid for a few things in Star Rail. I don't really regret it, but I think I've reached a point where I'm done spending. I pretty much have everything I want.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's when they move the goalposts further back

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

As someone who plays gacha I 100% agree, no need to be sorry.

The "obtain gacha stuff by paying directly" is absolute lol given how gacha games generally value the gacha stuff. (Hint: it's way loving expensive)

More importantly, it eliminates the varying reward schedule which is way more psychologically addicting and what all these games are designed around

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I would greatly appreciate the death of daily login bonuses

Just tacky poo poo that has bled into non-gacha games too

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Well thread, thanks to the posters here and the GotY, I got BG3 and Pentiment today on sale and will get right onto them in January. Not gonna lie, Pentiment looks like it's gonna be incredible, so I'll be starting with that. Thank you for the recommendations!

Currently midway through an Earthbound playthrough but then I think it'll be Pentiment, BG3, Stalker 2 and Homeworld 3 all year in 2024 in between Hunt: Showdown, Dwarf Fortress and Against the Storm sessions. Goddamn, what a ton of gaming ahead.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A reminder: 'tis the season to play Parasite Eve, the iconic Christmas game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM2cBVf9XJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NTNV8DNgRk

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Been forever since I had a Neo-Kobe Pizza.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is Neo-Kobe pizza a traditional holiday dish?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

My stepdad gave my mom her new PS5 today.

My stepdad faked her out too. He doesn't know anything about consoles or video games so that played into the scheme. He bought her God of War Ragnarok for PS5 and gave it to her by itself and said “I don’t know anything about games so I asked Mord what you would like and he said you’d probably like god of war” and he played dumb and pretended he didn’t know that he got her one for a console she didn’t have.

So she spent a few minutes explaining how that one is for PS5, not PS4 so they’d have to trade it in. Then he walked in with the console.

She was getting really bummed out because My Time and Sandrock isn’t on PS4 yet (and would probably run like poo poo) and House Flipper 2 would be unplayable on PS4 as House Flipper 1 was already sluggish.

The game she’s most hyped for? Dragon’s Dogma 2.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mordiceius posted:

My stepdad gave my mom her new PS5 today.

My stepdad faked her out too. He doesn't know anything about consoles or video games so that played into the scheme. He bought her God of War Ragnarok for PS5 and gave it to her by itself and said “I don’t know anything about games so I asked Mord what you would like and he said you’d probably like god of war” and he played dumb and pretended he didn’t know that he got her one for a console she didn’t have.

So she spent a few minutes explaining how that one is for PS5, not PS4 so they’d have to trade it in. Then he walked in with the console.

She was getting really bummed out because My Time and Sandrock isn’t on PS4 yet (and would probably run like poo poo) and House Flipper 2 would be unplayable on PS4 as House Flipper 1 was already sluggish.

The game she’s most hyped for? Dragon’s Dogma 2.

Owns.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also notably spending caps on the amount one user can buy in microtransactions. A lot of these games are fueled by a small percentage of "whales" who dump hundreds/thousands of dollars into microtransactions, sometimes due to being an oil prince but usually due to gambling addiction. So that rule if passed will hurt them a lot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Carrion is on sale

It’s a lot of fun for $6! Goofy controls, but it’s significantly different from other puzzle platformers so it gets points for being different

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's a lovely morning in the factory, and you are a horrible flesh eating monster

(Carrion rules)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

gacha games are already designed around skirting or preempting regulations, so anything short of outright banning chance-based mechanics with any relation to transactions honestly isn't going to do much.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

homeless snail posted:

really funny joke, be a shame if you put it in a gacha game

lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

gacha games are already designed around skirting or preempting regulations, so anything short of outright banning chance-based mechanics with any relation to transactions honestly isn't going to do much.

Can't really do that without banning online gambling entirely, and that industry ain't going anywhere fast. It's every other loving advert on TV.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Blargh, my dad got a horrific cold last week and then I caught it so we can't go to my sister's place tomorrow and spend my nephew's first Chrisrmas with him.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Infinitum posted:

It's a lovely morning in the factory, and you are a horrible flesh eating monster

(Carrion rules)

Me when I get that soldier who’s hiding behind a force field:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It’s almost Christmas, so I think we should all take a moment to remember the greatest story ever told, about the man who saved us all: Goku

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X57Poxohka4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Snake Maze posted:

It’s almost Christmas, so I think we should all take a moment to remember the greatest story ever told, about the man who saved us all: Goku

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X57Poxohka4