Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Thinking about getting Doom Eternal since I don't think it's getting any cheaper, but I do have one last, big consideration: How are checkpoints and such handled, since I assume there's no saving so as to not offend the hardcore crowd? One of the smartest and best things Ultrakill did was have frequent checkpoints with little to no bullshit between death and respawn. You fight, you die, you live again and you're back in the fight sometimes within seconds. It's awesome and handy if you're practicing a difficult room or even just trying to progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Huh, I had no idea that Shadow of Mordor or FEAR (both of which I quite enjoyed) were later generations of Lithtech, I thought they were a different engine entirely.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Milo and POTUS posted:

Thinking about getting Doom Eternal since I don't think it's getting any cheaper, but I do have one last, big consideration: How are checkpoints and such handled, since I assume there's no saving so as to not offend the hardcore crowd? One of the smartest and best things Ultrakill did was have frequent checkpoints with little to no bullshit between death and respawn. You fight, you die, you live again and you're back in the fight sometimes within seconds. It's awesome and handy if you're practicing a difficult room or even just trying to progress.

(Assuming no Ultra-Nightmare)

No manual saving
Lots of auto saving - there's a lot of checkpoints during map (99% are just before an arena fight)
Lots of 1-ups: if you hit 0% hp, ~5 secs of invulnerability (with free movement allowed), then back into the current fight with 100% hp! (maybe 50%, I can't remember).
Once at end of map, you're given the option of free travel to previous checkpoints, just in case you missed something (secrets, toys, bonus encounters, etc)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I want Civvie to cover BREED, because I remember it being touted as the Halo killer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

(Assuming no Ultra-Nightmare)

No manual saving
Lots of auto saving - there's a lot of checkpoints during map (99% are just before an arena fight)
Lots of 1-ups: if you hit 0% hp, ~5 secs of invulnerability (with free movement allowed), then back into the current fight with 100% hp! (maybe 50%, I can't remember).
Once at end of map, you're given the option of free travel to previous checkpoints, just in case you missed something (secrets, toys, bonus encounters, etc)

Checkpoints are also pretty intelligently set up for the difficult platforming/level exploration parts, as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's the catch on ultra-nightmare?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the catch on ultra-nightmare?

Permadeath.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crustashio posted:

I believed for 20+ years. I was pretty sure one of the retail manuals I had listed it wrong, but it may have just been the red effect tricking my 10 year old brain.

I forget what video what it was where I saw it, maybe one of Decino's deep dives, but I vaguely recall it being the case that different manuals disagreed on it, yeah.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ovy43lZCQg
Pro Arthur's Quest: Battle for the Kingdom when, Civvie?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

I want Civvie to cover BREED, because I remember it being touted as the Halo killer.

I want him to as well, because the CGW review for whatever reason is one of those core memories for me, specifically this line (apparently, the line that stuck with Metacritic from the review as well):

quote:

Considering their utter lack of intelligence, it'd be more accurate to name these guys "Inbreed." [July 2004, p.70]

Apparently there was a dispute between the developer and the publisher (the devs claimed the publisher released an unfinished version, publisher claimed the devs just hadn't finished making it by the deadline, you know), and there was a second, less lovely version released later.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

What are the "good Lithtech games"? I mean, NOLF 1 and 2 and AvP2, obviously, I've heard good things about Shogo, and I vaguely remember Tron 2.0 being pretty alright, but what are the others?

Tron 2.0 is Monolith's best and coolest game. :colbert:

I have no idea where you heard good things about Shogo, because it's very much not good.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ToxicFrog posted:

What are the "good Lithtech games"? I mean, NOLF 1 and 2 and AvP2, obviously, I've heard good things about Shogo, and I vaguely remember Tron 2.0 being pretty alright, but what are the others?

I don't think anyone has responded to this one specifically, but Shogo is a bunch of interesting ideas wrapped in an engine that can't quite do them and compounded with a rushed schedule. The plot is mostly an incoherent series of exposition dumps, the game crashes a lot, and explosive weapons are vital but have Blood 2 sized damage radiuses so you WILL kill yourself. It could use a remaster.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBDI35NjQg
The best gift a video essayist could give me for Christmas - Noah-Caldwell Gervais taking a look at the Quake franchise.
ok actually a new Tim Rogers video would be #1 but I'm trying to be realistic

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I always felt like the rocket launcher was the workhorse weapon of Quake 1 once you pick it up, not the shotgun. Plenty of ammo for it. Seemingly iconic enough to make it into TF2.

Something I've never heard of called Herald of Havoc is on Steam sale right now for $4. I figured why not and grabbed it, but haven't touched it yet. Icaruslives gave it a big thumbs up, anyway.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Flubby posted:

I always felt like the rocket launcher was the workhorse weapon of Quake 1 once you pick it up, not the shotgun. Plenty of ammo for it. Seemingly iconic enough to make it into TF2.
Q1 is definitely dominated by the RL, especially in multiplayer. Much like the SSG in Doom 2. I think one of the Quake 3 character descriptions even makes fun of how much more effective rockets were back in the good old days

Granted, some enemies like the Shambler (and maybe the Vore?) don’t take as much damage from explosives, so you’ll still have to switch weapons occasionally.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It doesn't help that there's an enemy type that can only be permanently killed with explosions. The grenade launcher was probably meant to be the iconic weapon since it's something that could not exist in that form in a 2.5D engine, but the RL is so much more usable

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Grimhook, not so much a FPS as a first-person grappling hook-er, and free:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2667430/Grimhook/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok fine, Ill play the Quake 2 Machine Games expansion

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Flubby posted:

100%. And the only reason I'd argue otherwise is you do have to go through quite a few missions without it each episode. Seriously, on the fourth it took forever to get, though I do allow I probably missed a secret or five that might have had one.

haveblue posted:

The grenade launcher was probably meant to be the iconic weapon since it's something that could not exist in that form in a 2.5D engine, but the RL is so much more usable

Why is this? Also, gently caress those zombies (zombie, zoOOmbie)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The grenade launcher could have existed in the Doom engine. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the newer extension specs like MBF21 had enough flexibility to support it but I don't know enough about gameplay modding to know for sure.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Just dropping in to concur that the Robocop game that recently came out is indeed a gem.

Like the Terminator game that came out before it, it feels like a genuine labor of love that embraces the IP it's based on. I'd say the shooting is more satisfying than the Terminator game, possibly because most weapons are useful on ordinary enemies? In any case, it's once again funny that a game based on a movie series--a game that for all intents and purposes shouldn't have been any good--is in fact very fun.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Ok fine, Ill play the Quake 2 Machine Games expansion

it's really cool

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

haveblue posted:

It doesn't help that there's an enemy type that can only be permanently killed with explosions. The grenade launcher was probably meant to be the iconic weapon since it's something that could not exist in that form in a 2.5D engine, but the RL is so much more usable

Shadow warrior had a GL with rudimentary physics in a 2.5D engine that seemed ok. But vertical mouselook definitely makes the quake GL a little more versatile.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 24, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Like the Terminator game that came out before it, it feels like a genuine labor of love that embraces the IP it's based on. I'd say the shooting is more satisfying than the Terminator game, possibly because most weapons are useful on ordinary enemies? In any case, it's once again funny that a game based on a movie series--a game that for all intents and purposes shouldn't have been any good--is in fact very fun.

The turn-around from Rambo to where they are now is really quite refreshing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it's really cool

yeah they did a really good job with it.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Crustashio posted:

Shadow warrior had a GL with rudimentary physics in a 2.5D engine that seemed ok. But vertical mouselook definitely makes the quake GL a little more versatile.

Dark Forces had the bouncy thermal detonators too. And that weird mortar. Both kind of pushing the limits of their physics engine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's always been something hilarious about Lo Wang's arsenal in the original Shadow Warrior being mostly explosives

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

There's always been something hilarious about Lo Wang's arsenal in the original Shadow Warrior being mostly explosives

He understands that he's a Build engine protagonist.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

I mean in blood Dynamite is almost your primary weapon.

Explosives and build engine go well.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Shanty posted:

Dark Forces had the bouncy thermal detonators too. And that weird mortar. Both kind of pushing the limits of their physics engine.

Strife also had the wacky grenade launcher.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Quake down, good game. Definitely a stronger single player game than Quake 2, if for no other reason than it doesn't drag as much in the back half. I... like the shotguns better in quake 2? More fun with RL in 1, GL could go either way. Super nailgun more fun than hyperblaster, but I think I prefer the automatic weapons in 2 to the nail gun. What the gently caress is up with Vores, is there really no way for their projectiles to expire save getting caught on the level geometry? lovely enemy. Fiends suck too, and shamblers are probably a little spongy by half. My most hated enemy though is the weird rear end blob things.
If you have the re-relase version of Quake 1, you should definitely try Dimension of the Machine. And you might also want to have a look at the mod Copper; it's an extremely polished set of tweaks to Quake's gameplay, one of which makes Vore balls somewhat more bearable.
And then there's Arcane Dimensions if you want to get into modern Quake :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh if I'm gonna mod I think I'm gonna use the one with the speak and spell

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

For me, the theme of Shadow Warrior's arsenal has always been "...it's the only way to be sure". Blind-firing volleys of grenades around corners, chucking tear gas into noisy rooms, poking my head into an area just long enough to fire off a nuke. Even things like the Ripper Heart seem geared for hitting things while minimizing their ability to hit me back.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Volte posted:

The grenade launcher could have existed in the Doom engine. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the newer extension specs like MBF21 had enough flexibility to support it but I don't know enough about gameplay modding to know for sure.

A Quake-style grenade launcher was in the demo WAD for the original MBF in 1998

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Those floating exploding orbs in Scourge of Armagon are 100x worse than the Spawns. Absolute bullshit; who the gently caress thought that was a fun enemy to add

“The player will certainly enjoy randomly dying because a nearly silent floating enemy exploded in their back! I am a brilliant game designer”
- some absolute clown Hipnotic employee after huffing rubber cement in his car during lunch, probably

Why yes I just ragequit after dying for the second time on the same level to a new and excitingly placed orb

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

They're a bullshit enemy but it's kind of interesting that they have a mechanic where they move slower if you're looking at them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

They're a bullshit enemy but it's kind of interesting that they have a mechanic where they move slower if you're looking at them.

So it's a ghost house from Super Mario World. I'm imagining the death sound/piano riff

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Quake 2 is only $3.99 on the Nintendo eShop. Just an FYI for anyone who wants portable Quake 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

An absolute steal at that price for all the content you’re getting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just dropping in to concur that the Robocop game that recently came out is indeed a gem.

Terminator Resistance is a triumph for just solidly executing on a clear idea.

I’m sure you can pick a million holes in it through the usual videogame critique lense, but if I think about the gaming landscape over the last 5-10 years, there aren’t many games I think about more fondly.